Seems everyone has seperation plans...


Jay
#1
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...ate050804.html
 
Reverend Blair
#2
Good. Kenora is a nice town. I think that from Thunder Bay to the Alberta/Saskatchewan border should all be one province, actually. That tends to be the territory for salespeople and technicians in the area, anyway. Most importantly we could adopt the Saskatchewan time rules for the whole mega-province...never change the damned clocks.
 
Jay
#3
I'm under the impression Ontario and Manitoba should amalgamate...Sask and Alberta should amalgamate too.


You can't have Kenora though.
 
mrmom2
#4
Any body know the name of the little resort town along the Manitoba ,Ontario border that has a lake and an beautiful old golf course in the middle of it .My dad took me there when i was kid and i loved it
 
Jay
#5
Can't say for sure....

Here is a link to the North Western Ontario road map.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tra...eets/map13.pdf
 
zenfisher
#6
Sounds like the Whiteshell, Maybe Ingolf ( yes that's the name of the town.)
 
mrmom2
#7
Thanks Zen I'll have to go see what i can find
 
Reverend Blair
#8
I'd say Ingolf too. I can't think of another little town there.

I don't think Manitobans would stand for being run out of Toronto, Jay. People in Toronto have no idea what things are like out here, as a rule. People in Saskatchewan would rebel if they were joined with Alberta too. Even many of the Conservatives in Saskatchewan hate the Klein government because they remember all to well what similar policies did to Saskatchewan in the 1980s.

I had the TB/Man/Sask region when I was a tech though, and the area is a good fit. Similar attitudes, similar industries.
 
Jay
#9
Ya I agree...we would have to move the captial to Thunder Bay or Sudbury, or something like that.

Northern Ontario doesn't even like being ruled from Toronto.
 
Reverend Blair
#10
I haven't measured it on a map, but I think Winnipeg would be someplace around the middle. Maybe it would cure the Perimeteritis that has plagued every provincial government Manitoba has ever had.
 
Musicman
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

I'd say Ingolf too. I can't think of another little town there.

I don't think Manitobans would stand for being run out of Toronto, Jay. People in Toronto have no idea what things are like out here, as a rule. People in Saskatchewan would rebel if they were joined with Alberta too. Even many of the Conservatives in Saskatchewan hate the Klein government because they remember all to well what similar policies did to Saskatchewan in the 1980s.

I had the TB/Man/Sask region when I was a tech though, and the area is a good fit. Similar attitudes, similar industries.

Hi. I am new here. Not being from either Manitoba, Ontario, Saskatchewan or Alberta, though, I cannot make comments about any of them. Being non political, I am not aware of the reasons why Saskatchewanites (is that right??) would hate the Klein policies. Albertans always claim to have the best of everything, and people seem to make jokes about Saskatchewan. I am totally unaware of what "similar policies" you are talking about, and would really like to get your take, so I can discuss this with the Albertans I know when they start to tell me how great Alberta is.

Thank you.
 
Reverend Blair
#12
Quote:

Being non political, I am not aware of the reasons why Saskatchewanites (is that right??) would hate the Klein policies. Albertans always claim to have the best of everything, and people seem to make jokes about Saskatchewan. I am totally unaware of what "similar policies" you are talking about, and would really like to get your take, so I can discuss this with the Albertans I know when they start to tell me how great Alberta is.

In the 1980's, Saskatchewan was ruled by the Devine government. A lot of the policies of the Devine government were similar in ideology and action to the present-day Klein government in Alberta. The problem is that Saskatchewan doesn't have massive amounts of oil money, so the province was almost bankrupted.

Even while the province was being sucked dry and its assets sold off to Devine's closest corporate buddies, services were being cut. Job losses were massive. Small businesses were pushed into bankruptcy at an ever-increasing rate. The provincial debt was totally out of control.

It's taken years to turn things around, and even the Saskatchewan Party (who used to be Devine's PCs) are careful not to endorse Klein-like policies too closely. They know where those policies lead in a province without massive oil wealth.
 
Musicman
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Quote:

Being non political, I am not aware of the reasons why Saskatchewanites (is that right??) would hate the Klein policies. Albertans always claim to have the best of everything, and people seem to make jokes about Saskatchewan. I am totally unaware of what "similar policies" you are talking about, and would really like to get your take, so I can discuss this with the Albertans I know when they start to tell me how great Alberta is.

In the 1980's, Saskatchewan was ruled by the Devine government. A lot of the policies of the Devine government were similar in ideology and action to the present-day Klein government in Alberta. The problem is that Saskatchewan doesn't have massive amounts of oil money, so the province was almost bankrupted.

Even while the province was being sucked dry and its assets sold off to Devine's closest corporate buddies, services were being cut. Job losses were massive. Small businesses were pushed into bankruptcy at an ever-increasing rate. The provincial debt was totally out of control.

It's taken years to turn things around, and even the Saskatchewan Party (who used to be Devine's PCs) are careful not to endorse Klein-like policies too closely. They know where those policies lead in a province without massive oil wealth.

Interesting. I was under the understanding that Sask had quite a few resources, was I mistaken?
 
Reverend Blair
#14
No, you weren't mistaken. Saskatchewan does have quite a few resources and is now a have province, thanks to the careful management of the NDP.

They do not have the massive oil wealth of Alberta though. A lot of Saskatchewan's wealth comes from things like potash (privatised by the Devine government...the NDP sold off the few remaining shares since they afforded no control over the industry and provided no income, only risk. The Saskatchewan Party then accused the NDP of privatising potash). That's just one example.

Most of Saskatchewan does not want to see further privatisation (and loss of control) of their natural resources. That falls on both sides of the political spectrum.

The same goes for health care. While Klein is pushing to bring in private, two tier care in Alberta, Saskatchewan is where public health care started in this country and support for it remains strong even in Conservative ridings.

You have to remember that Saskatchewan's history is one of switching back and forth between the CCF/NDP and the Conservative/Liberals. Nobody in the province buys into the anti-socialist rhetoric spewed by the far right too much. The NDP in Saskatchewan have a better fiscal record than anybody else, so the lies you hear about that in places like Alberta and Ontario aren't taken seriously by the majority of the population.

It runs more along the lines of whether a particular government is doing a good job and if their policies are working. Nobody wants to get too close to policies that failed in the past, and policies very similar to Klein's have failed within the memory of most of the population.
 
Musicman
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

No, you weren't mistaken. Saskatchewan does have quite a few resources and is now a have province, thanks to the careful management of the NDP.

They do not have the massive oil wealth of Alberta though. A lot of Saskatchewan's wealth comes from things like potash (privatised by the Devine government...the NDP sold off the few remaining shares since they afforded no control over the industry and provided no income, only risk. The Saskatchewan Party then accused the NDP of privatising potash). That's just one example.

Most of Saskatchewan does not want to see further privatisation (and loss of control) of their natural resources. That falls on both sides of the political spectrum.

The same goes for health care. While Klein is pushing to bring in private, two tier care in Alberta, Saskatchewan is where public health care started in this country and support for it remains strong even in Conservative ridings.

You have to remember that Saskatchewan's history is one of switching back and forth between the CCF/NDP and the Conservative/Liberals. Nobody in the province buys into the anti-socialist rhetoric spewed by the far right too much. The NDP in Saskatchewan have a better fiscal record than anybody else, so the lies you hear about that in places like Alberta and Ontario aren't taken seriously by the majority of the population.

It runs more along the lines of whether a particular government is doing a good job and if their policies are working. Nobody wants to get too close to policies that failed in the past, and policies very similar to Klein's have failed within the memory of most of the population.

Thanks, I was not aware of all these details. I am now a little more interested in the differences, and would like some more thoughts from others, if you don't mind. It appears that you may have been involved personally in the Saskatchewan government?

Thanks again, and please, if anyone else has more thoughts on this, please let me know, I would like as much information as possible on any subject so I can develop opinions with as much information as possible.
 
Reverend Blair
#16
Quote:

It appears that you may have been involved personally in the Saskatchewan government?

No, but I grew up there and know plenty of people from both sides of the political spectrum. My Grandmother and mother were quite involved in the NDP (the party side, not the government side) as well, and, because I know so many people from areas that are traditionally Conservative, I have several friends involved in the PC/SP in the same way.

It's funny...the conservatives in Saskatchewan have tried to claim Tommy Douglas as one of their own for years. Lately there has been a bit of a movement to do the same with Roy Romanow.
 
Musicman
#17
Quote:

Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Quote:

It appears that you may have been involved personally in the Saskatchewan government?

No, but I grew up there and know plenty of people from both sides of the political spectrum. My Grandmother and mother were quite involved in the NDP (the party side, not the government side) as well, and, because I know so many people from areas that are traditionally Conservative, I have several friends involved in the PC/SP in the same way.

It's funny...the conservatives in Saskatchewan have tried to claim Tommy Douglas as one of their own for years. Lately there has been a bit of a movement to do the same with Roy Romanow.

So you grew up on the prairies. Is Saskatchewan as flat as everyone says? Another question for you or any others, if you don't mnd: Everyone is always talking about the people leaving Saskatchewan for other provinces (there is a joke about the last one leaving to turn out the light?), with Alberta and BC being where they go, supposedly. Is this true, and if so, why?

(I just checked, still cannot get the little box around the quotes. If only I was semicomputer literate!)
 
Reverend Blair
#18
Quote:

Is Saskatchewan as flat as everyone says?

No.

Quote:

Everyone is always talking about the people leaving Saskatchewan for other provinces (there is a joke about the last one leaving to turn out the light?), with Alberta and BC being where they go, supposedly. Is this true, and if so, why?

People do leave Saskatchewan. Traditionally it has been because of a lack of opportunity. That has been changing as the province diversifies.

The real reason they leave, of course, is that people in Alberta, BC, and Ontario are obviously in dire need of intelligent, well-educated people to help them.
 
Musicman
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Quote:

Is Saskatchewan as flat as everyone says?

No.

Quote:

Everyone is always talking about the people leaving Saskatchewan for other provinces (there is a joke about the last one leaving to turn out the light?), with Alberta and BC being where they go, supposedly. Is this true, and if so, why?

People do leave Saskatchewan. Traditionally it has been because of a lack of opportunity. That has been changing as the province diversifies.

The real reason they leave, of course, is that people in Alberta, BC, and Ontario are obviously in dire need of intelligent, well-educated people to help them.



Do these other provinces know this too?
 
Reverend Blair
#20
Nah, we don't want to give them a complex.

Actually, if you look around the country at various public and private posts, there are a disproportionate number of people who grew up in Saskatchewan, or were educated there, or started their careers there. I don't really know why that is, but it is.
 
Musicman
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Nah, we don't want to give them a complex.

Actually, if you look around the country at various public and private posts, there are a disproportionate number of people who grew up in Saskatchewan, or were educated there, or started their careers there. I don't really know why that is, but it is.

I guess I don't understand then why they all seem to leave. Why did you leave?
 
mrmom2
#22
I get a kick out of dirt farmers thinking there smarter than everybody else The smart ones leave to find intelligence :P
 
Reverend Blair
#23
Dirt farmers? See, that's the difference right there...nobody in Saskatchewan is backwards enough to think that you farm dirt.
 
Jay
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

The real reason they leave, of course, is that people in Alberta, BC, and Ontario are obviously in dire need of intelligent, well-educated people to help them.

good one.
 
missile
Conservative
#25
So,they're enticed by the bright lights of the big cities and are just sick and tired of all the wide open spaces. Of course,our people just leave for the big bucks to be made in Alberta.
 
no1important
#26
The thing is when "Canada opened up" in the mid to late 1800's people flocked to the praires and they were able to get a quarter section very cheap to farm and I guess over time they moved to other places in Canada.

6 of my 8 great grandparents all settled (from England) around Winnipeg(surrounding area) (I know winnipeg is not sask, but the point is the same) and 3 of 4 grandparents were born in Winnipeg(all in same hospital even) and all came to to Vancouver in the 30's before the war.

Many others did the same.
 
Reverend Blair
#27
Not everybody can inherit the farm. If they did, most farms would now be the size of the average suburban lot.
 
mrmom2
#28
Yea thats true no1 and you can still get land there for damn near the same price .I've seen lots for a dollar
 
no1important
#29
Thats true. Back in the day a quarter section was more than enough to raise and support the family, grow crops and have some pigs, cows, chickens etc. Now a quarter section would be a large "hobby farm".
 
Musicman
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by missile

So,they're enticed by the bright lights of the big cities and are just sick and tired of all the wide open spaces. Of course,our people just leave for the big bucks to be made in Alberta.


Is that the main reason Alberta's population is growing and Saskatchewans is going down? I mean, more money to be made in Alberta? Is it also true that a lot of maritimers are moving to Alberta for the jobs and money too?

This is fascinating stuff.
 

Similar Threads

15
Oh boy do I have plans! But I need help!
by MitchellP | Oct 13th, 2008
129
Plans For Iran
by darkbeaver | Mar 7th, 2006
576
NDP Have BIG plans in BC again!!!
by insignificant | May 17th, 2005
83
NDP Plans
by LadyC | May 17th, 2005