NDP Plans

galianomama
#31
thanks lady c, i am going to try to read this during lunch. is there any simple explaination as to how this damn thing works? for the simple layman such as myself......
 
Hard-Luck Henry
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by galianomama

thanks lady c, i am going to try to read this during lunch. is there any simple explaination as to how this damn thing works? for the simple layman such as myself......

Try these, gali...

http://www.barrodale.com/bcstv/

http://www.citizensassembly.bc.ca/public
 
galianomama
#33
gee thanks henry, nothing like someone from happy land to point this out...groan...
 
damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
#34
what is really interesting is the fact the Liberal are making promises and handing out money it received from the Federal Liberals, nearly two billion dollars worth.
If you recall the same Federal Liberal Government that short changed BC by over four hundred million a year for about three, maybe four years.
Before we question Ms James we should take a look at Gordon's financial record. When the NDP left power there was a surplus of l.5 Billion dollars, that money went for your tax break of 25%. Right after that two things happened, the Provincial Liberals ran three straight in the red, big time budgets. In addition they increased every fee and licience in the Province, and what you ended up paying was far more than the so called 25% tax break.
It now appears the Liberal party took money from public officials exercising their duties and even charities,.
In short they used the old public access to government officials by way of donations to the party. What makes this so funny is they passed a law to do away with charities donating to political parties.
Its true the NDP is not perfect, they made a hell of lot of mistakes when they were in power, but the Liberals, well,
they have done whatever they please right or wrong, with a total disregard for the rules and in some cases the truth.
This election is by no means over. Gordon should be careful about wanting to run on his record, the only sure record he has is the one for drunk driving.
Most of the good things that have come our way is due to increased markets and off shore wealth. If Gordon is re elected, and the economy goes sour, will he take the blame for all that has gone wrong?
Somehow if that were to happen he would find someone else to blame.
 
no1important
#35
A poll released today. For BC Provincial election. This lookedlike best place to post numbers.

45% Liberal
40% NDP
12% Green

Here
 
gftrcoach
#36
How much will they suffer having a lousy health care system, a government "promoting" business instead of economics, a xenophobic social security system, a nanny state education system producing dutiful socialists, being brainwashed that their "real" wages keep dropping yada yada yada.

You don't get it: Mankind likes to compete, to be free, to own property. Mankind eventually hates or numbs themselves out to being told they can or can't have something by a nanny state, to taxes, to depressing Rev types telling them they can't do it without the gov't.

Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

How much will the people of BC suffer if they keep shipping raw logs instead of developing value-added industries? How much will they suffer if the population does not have a good education? How much will they suffer when the average real wage keeps dropping? How much will they suffer if the fish farms kill off the wild species?

 
LadyC
#37
Okay, Galianomama...

I read a better explanation the other day. Let's see if I can do it justice.

Think of it as a convention where the delegates are choosing a new leader. Everyone casts his vote, and then those with the least votes get dropped off the ballot. Another vote takes place, and this gets repeated until one candidate emerges as the winner. The delegates have to be present for each vote, but we can make all our choices and then go home.

If your guy doesn't get enough votes and he's dropped, your 2nd choice will then be counted, and then your 3rd and so on.

Of course... depending on your riding and how you vote, your 1st choice might be the winner.

Is that a bit easier to understand?
 
bluealberta
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

It's the same sort of plan that the NDP used to turn Saskatchewan into a have province, C.

Quit it. They are not a have province. The unions in that province kill it. The taxes are higher there than Alberta, their property taxes are obscene, and if Sask is such a have province, why are they all leaving? Check the population statistics. Only Ontario, Alberta, and just recently BC provide transfer payments to the ROC. Sask does not. They are not a have province.
 
LadyC
#39
Saskatchewan will receive money this year, but if things stay the same, they won't next year.
 
Reverend Blair
#40
Check your facts Blue.
 
bluealberta
#41
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyC

Saskatchewan will receive money this year, but if things stay the same, they won't next year.

If they stay the same. The New Dumbocrats still have a chance to screw it up
 
galianomama
#42
thanks lady c, that does make it seem fairly straight forward. interesting to hear dave barrett stating people should vote against the stv, and david suzuki is for it....i liked the fact that david suzuki stated how democracy is still evolving. i will try tofind the article and post.



Quote:

A poll released today. For BC Provincial election. This lookedlike best place to post numbers.

45% Liberal
40% NDP
12% Green

thanks, no 1....interesting. i can't wait to see what happens next week. that's the great thing about bc politics, they are pretty volatile!
 
Reverend Blair
#43
The NDP are the ones that brought Saskatchewan back from the verge of bankruptcy after the mismanagement and criminality of the PCs, Blue.

When the NDP left office in the early 1980's, the province was in the black and the sales tax was 5%. When they came back to power, the province was deeply in debt and the sales tax was 7%.

So tell me again about how great your Conservatives are.
 
bluealberta
#44
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

The NDP are the ones that brought Saskatchewan back from the verge of bankruptcy after the mismanagement and criminality of the PCs, Blue.

When the NDP left office in the early 1980's, the province was in the black and the sales tax was 5%. When they came back to power, the province was deeply in debt and the sales tax was 7%.

So tell me again about how great your Conservatives are.

If the NDP were so good before the conservatives, why did they get voted out? Some have said the province was in such a mess before the Conservatives got in that it would have taken years of financial hardship to fix it. Something like Ralph had to go after Getty forgot he was a conservative and governed like he was a liberal or NDP.
 
Reverend Blair
#45
The facts don't bear that out, Blue. The fact is that Conservatives have a long history of doing nothing but spending and driving countries into debt. It is part of the neo-conservative philosophy and it showed up under Reagan and Mulroney with brutal clarity. It showed up under Devine in Saskatchewan and Filmon here in Manitoba.

The fact is the Roy Romanow took a province that was driven to the verge of bankruptcy by Grant Devine and his neo-conservative policies and, along with Lorne Calvert, made it into a have province.
 
passpatoo
#46
"If the NDP were so good before the conservatives, why did they get voted out? "

This arguement works both ways. If the conservatives were so good, why did they get voted out?
 
bluealberta
#47
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

The facts don't bear that out, Blue. The fact is that Conservatives have a long history of doing nothing but spending and driving countries into debt. It is part of the neo-conservative philosophy and it showed up under Reagan and Mulroney with brutal clarity. It showed up under Devine in Saskatchewan and Filmon here in Manitoba.

The fact is the Roy Romanow took a province that was driven to the verge of bankruptcy by Grant Devine and his neo-conservative policies and, along with Lorne Calvert, made it into a have province.

Even if I accepted that premise, which I don't, last time I checked a series of conservative governments in Alberta have resulted in a debt free province with the lowest tax rates and no provincial sales tax. On the other hand, the provinces with NDP governments have the highest tax rates, both income and property.
 
gftrcoach
#48
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

The facts don't bear that out, Blue. The fact is that Conservatives have a long history of doing nothing but spending and driving countries into debt. It is part of the neo-conservative philosophy and it showed up under Reagan and Mulroney with brutal clarity.

Reagan/Mulroney/Thatcher brought about the greatest boom in history. They FUNDAMENTALLY changed the way people did business, they diminshed most unions to a status that was more realistic, it took 4-8 years after each of them were out of office to realise the impact of the dramatic and powerful shift in culture which was most dramatic in the UK and the least in part of Canada. It takes those sorts of temporary debts to straighten things out.

Gleb
 
Reverend Blair
#49
They drove their countries deeply into debt. Their rule was like more a credit card binge than anything else, gftr.

Alberta has massive wealth in oil, Blue. Check out your heritage fund if you want an example of how badly the Conservatives have managed things. While you're at it, ask Ralphie why he signed one of the worst deals on earth with the oil companies. Your province could have even more money...enough to actually do some good for the people of Alberta instead of letting the health and education systems fall apart. Your brave leader decided not to do that.
 
SilentSwirl
#50
Quote: Originally Posted by gftrcoach

Reagan/Mulroney/Thatcher brought about the greatest boom in history. They FUNDAMENTALLY changed the way people did business, they diminshed most unions to a status that was more realistic, it took 4-8 years after each of them were out of office to realise the impact of the dramatic and powerful shift in culture which was most dramatic in the UK and the least in part of Canada. It takes those sorts of temporary debts to straighten things out.

Gleb

Wonderful post Gleb. It exhibits a deep sense of the profundity needed to truly see fundamental changes in our society and roots us in the realities of history - that fundamental changes for the betterment of society are painful, sacrificial and ponderous.

But (and this is a general point not intended solely for Gleb)... What has any of this stuff to do with the BC Election and the NDP's past performance in BC?

We don't have a Conservative party running in BC.
 
gftrcoach
#51
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

They drove their countries deeply into debt. Their rule was like more a credit card binge than anything else, gftr.

Alberta has massive wealth in oil, Blue. Check out your heritage fund if you want an example of how badly the Conservatives have managed things. While you're at it, ask Ralphie why he signed one of the worst deals on earth with the oil companies. Your province could have even more money...enough to actually do some good for the people of Alberta instead of letting the health and education systems fall apart. Your brave leader decided not to do that.

Cut the crap. If you are going to start making personal accusations like that you will find that your posts disappear
 
galianomama
#52
Quote:

And a source says you are buddies with Ernst Zundel, makes perfect sense y'all have paranoia in common.

y'all better be pretty careful watcha say there boy....those are pretty big statements to say from a 'source'. maybe you should identify your source and do some big explaining about your 'site' you have listed on the bottom of your posts.

who knows what the 'sources' might say about that
 
galianomama
#53
now that this particular topic has been totally degraded, i would like to bring it back into line with what - i think - was the original purpose of this thread - the ndp in british columbia.

i myself will be voting, as will about 95% of vancouver island...yippee! i can't wait to get the bastards off the big rock.

how about you guys? which way do you wish the policies/politics to go?
 
Jay
#54
"We don't have a Conservative party running in BC."

Is that true?
 
galianomama
#55
yeah, there is no 'conservative' party on the provincial scale, but i don't think you have to look too hard at the liberal party of bc to see a lot of right wing 'c's hanging out. the social credit was a pretty conservative bunch...and the liberals aren't that far behind.
 
Jay
#56
I didn't know that, thanks.
 
Reverend Blair
#57
The Liberal Party in BC was taken over by a mix of Socreds and federal Reform/Alliance/Conservatives, Jay. It was pretty well-documented during the last provincial election there.
 
mrmom2
#58
We have a consevative candidate here in Kamloops Galianomama his name is Bob Altenhofen I hoped I spelled it right He's got signs up all over town and he's always writing in to the paper
 
galianomama
#59
yeah, well the latest from the 'campaign' trail is that of course, no one can get near the premier either for questions or answers....nothing new on that whole stage. issues currently seem to be the fact that now campbell is promising a new 'public-private partnership' hospital in surrey. where the hell did that come from? for the past few years we have had shortages everywhere, but now - bingo - you got it! amazing.
 
galianomama
#60
sorry mom, didn't see your post...got a little riled up there!

really? somehow that doesn't surprise me though, kamloops/kelowna area is big conservative country..... wow, curious to know how he will do on may 17. keep me posted.
 

Similar Threads

32
Tell us your Halloween plans?
by CBC News | Nov 2nd, 2008
15
Oh boy do I have plans! But I need help!
by MitchellP | Oct 13th, 2008
44
576
NDP Have BIG plans in BC again!!!
by insignificant | May 17th, 2005