Your favourite cookbook....

#juan
Any cook will use a recipe at some point. We got the Pillsbury cookbook as a wedding present forty odd years ago. About ten years later
I bought the St. Louis cookbook on the recommendation of a friend. These two are the only cookbooks I ever use and they are almost worn out.
Does anyone have a favourite cookbook?

petros
I like the JELL-O Cookbook.

talloola
I was married in l958, and my mother passed on 'woman's home companion cook book', which I used religiously,
(hmmm, oh well,) for many many years, and I still have it. copyright l946.

since then, about 20 years ago I bought 'the natural gourmet' cookbook, amd also 'laurel's kitchen', both
natural methods, which have wonderful recipes, very down home cooking, but with a very healthy style,
and I love both of them, and have since discontinued using my original one.

I recently bought 'lidia's italy', as I have watched her cook on TV many times,
in italy, and her recipes are wonderful, so I take ideas out of that book, as
many of the recipes are too 'deep', and contain ingredients I don't use, so I
upgrade my own recipes from many things she does.
If you get a chance to see her cook on TV, don't pass it up, great food, and she
is so 'real italian', reminds me of many of my husbands relatives, who are also
great 'italian' cooks.

DurkaDurka
I have a cookbook application on my smartphone. Not the greatest, but it works in a pinch.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

I was married in l958, and my mother passed on 'woman's home companion cook book', which I used religiously,.

Is that the one that recommends using Bebop-A-Rebop Frozen Rhubarb Pie Filling?

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Is that the one that reccomends using Bebop-A-Rebop Frozen Rhubarb Pie Filling?

nope,bebop-a-rebop came much later, lol. lol

lets see, when that book was purchased, it would have been 'the andrew sisters', 'frank sinatra', etc.,
and I was a little girl.

The book was passed down to me, not new when it was given to me.

petros
Bebop-a-rebop Rhubarb Pie - A Prairie Home Companion - YouTube

talloola
+1
#8  Top Rated Post

Bebop-a-rebop Rhubarb Pie - A Prairie Home Companion - YouTube

I love watching them, I have the DVD, which I bought about 5 years ago. I actually forgot about it, so
I must dig it out and play it again.
Its not the movie which you displayed, but a concert they put on, which I watched
many christmases ago, and had to buy it.

petros

I like the JELL-O Cookbook.

I like the cappuccino cups.

#juan

I was married in l958, and my mother passed on 'woman's home companion cook book', which I used religiously,
(hmmm, oh well,) for many many years, and I still have it. copyright l946.

since then, about 20 years ago I bought 'the natural gourmet' cookbook, amd also 'laurel's kitchen', both
natural methods, which have wonderful recipes, very down home cooking, but with a very healthy style,
and I love both of them, and have since discontinued using my original one.

I recently bought 'lidia's italy', as I have watched her cook on TV many times,
in italy, and her recipes are wonderful, so I take ideas out of that book, as
many of the recipes are too 'deep', and contain ingredients I don't use, so I
upgrade my own recipes from many things she does.
If you get a chance to see her cook on TV, don't pass it up, great food, and she
is so 'real italian', reminds me of many of my husbands relatives, who are also
great 'italian' cooks.

You must have been fairly young when you were married. I got married in 1966 and I think you and I are about the same age.

Anyway, I ran a consulting business out of my house for a few years and it seemed only reasonable that I should start dinner since I was home and that led to me doing a lot of the cooking.........later..... most of the cooking.
While I was working at home I used to turn on Julia Child's program most days as well as Emeral Lagassi..(sp)

Seems to me my mom had the "Women's Home Companion" cookbook. I know she got the magazine. My mom was a natural cook.
who rarely used a cookbook.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

You must have been fairly young when you were married. I got married in 1966 and I think you and I are about the same age.

Anyway, I ran a consulting business out of my house for a few years and it seemed only reasonable that I should start dinner since I was home and that led to me doing a lot of the cooking.........later..... most of the cooking.
While I was working at home I used to turn on Julia Child's program most days as well as Emeral Lagassi..(sp)

Seems to me my mom had the "Women's Home Companion" cookbook. I know she got the magazine. My mom was a natural cook.
who rarely used a cookbook.

I was married september 27th l958, 19 years old.

I mostly use cookbooks for reference concerning how much of something to use, or what ingredients to use
for whatever I am making, just for help, not usually for total recipe.

For a long time I would follow a recipe right down to the 1/8th of a tsp of anything, and did
everything exactly how they explained, and wouldn't adventure out into my own 'thinking' at all, took
me a long time to realize I had some good ideas as well.
Now it is mostly my own ideas, and the cook book is just reference.

SLM
I rarely, if ever, follow an actual recipe. My kitchen is full of cookbooks, most of them handed down, but the most I'll ever do is look up something on the web to get a general idea of ingredients and measurements, then I wing it. You rarely get the exact same meal twice at my house, but I figure I have more hits than misses since everyone seems to come back over and over again.

This is my favourite link, all contributions from users. Some very interesting stuff and it's quite a huge archive.

RecipeSource: Your Source for Recipes on the Internet

L Gilbert
My favorite cookbook? The internet. lol

DaSleeper
The one I got from my mother who had it ever since I can remember in the 50's...

The five rose "A guide to good cooking" and while it was still in good condition, in '98 I scanned it all page by page in PDF format, and now will transform it in Epub format to put in my wife's ereader, which will make it easier than printing a pdf page on the PC when she wants a recipe.

It will be passed on to my daughter.....

Brat
+1
My favorites are the cook books that are put together for fund raisers, used by church groups or schools. You usually have all the ingredients in the cupboard. Tried and true.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by Brat View Post

My favorites are the cook books that are put together for fund raisers, used by church groups or schools. You usually have all the ingredients in the cupboard. Tried and true.

Yeah, any cookbook that is a collection of people's favourite recipes is going to be a winner. The St. Louis cookbook mentioned earlier
is exactly that.

JLM

Yeah, any cookbook that is a collection of people's favourite recipes is going to be a winner. The St. Louis cookbook mentioned earlier
is exactly that.

Cook books are becoming obsolete, I can find any recipe I'm capable of concocting on line.

DaSleeper
One such site we have bookmarked and use a lot is http://www.cooks.com/

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

One such site we have bookmarked and use a lot is http://www.cooks.com/

Yep, that's a good site!

TenPenny
I have some of my mothers' recipes, some from my mother in law, some that i've collected from magazines, some from on-line, and a large collection of cookbooks.

I definitely don't have a single favorite, but our go-to for general day-day stuff is Fannie Farmer.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I have some of my mothers' recipes, some from my mother in law, some that i've collected from magazines, some from on-line, and a large collection of cookbooks.

I definitely don't have a single favorite, but our go-to for general day-day stuff is Fannie Farmer.

Best recipe is anything combined with Head cheese!

gopher
+1
To me, the original will always be the best. This gem was my first cookbook and I will never forget it:

This wonderful book is a true inspiration.

-------------------------------

Here's one that I never had but wish it was available for everyone:

I wish more parents would teach their sons how to cook as this is the world's greatest hobby. What a wonderful book to use on such occasions!

----------------------------------

I just came across this wonderful ebook and thought you may want to know about it:

Soups, Stews & Chilies

Enjoy!

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Cook books are becoming obsolete, I can find any recipe I'm capable of concocting on line.

That is great as long as you know what to look for. A book that I had forgotten is the "Better Homes and Gardens" Meat cookbook.
Virtually every meat or fish you've ever heard of is in that book. It might even be on line.

This is the book.....http://tinyurl.com/7jjxpge

talloola

That is great as long as you know what to look for. A book that I had forgotten is the "Better Homes and Gardens" Meat cookbook.
Virtually every meat or fish you've ever heard of is in that book. It might even be on line.

This is the book.....Amazon.com: Meat Cook Book: Better Homes & Gardens: Books

thanks juan.

I have the better homes and gardens 'regular' cook book, from long ago, but I don't
use it any more.
The red checkered binder. I also bought those for my daughters when they moved out
many years ago.
Last edited by #juan; Jan 12th, 2012 at 03:22 PM..

Tonington
Epicurious.com is a great recipe website. I have one my mother made for me, she wrote out many of my favourite dishes she made, and placed them in plastic sleeves in a binder she titled Mom's Morsels. Love those recipes. I have quite a few now myself, like Italian, Thai, Soups, etc. Slow-cooker recipes. I think I prefer Mom's Morsels out of them all.

#juan

thanks juan.

I have the better homes and gardens 'regular' cook book, from long ago, but I don't
use it any more.
The red checkered binder. I also bought those for my daughters when they moved out
many years ago.

I now use cookbooks mainly for reference. Most of my recipes are in my head. I do
have a loose leaf file for recipes I've gleaned from magazines and other sources over
the years. I like "favourite recipes" because they are favourites. The St. Louis book
I mentioned earlier is all favourites from "famous" people in St. Louis.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

Epicurious.com is a great recipe website. I have one my mother made for me, she wrote out many of my favourite dishes she made, and placed them in plastic sleeves in a binder she titled Mom's Morsels. Love those recipes. I have quite a few now myself, like Italian, Thai, Soups, etc. Slow-cooker recipes. I think I prefer Mom's Morsels out of them all.

I wish my Mom had written down her recipes. She was a great cook who rarely used a cookbook. She
taught me a lot of the basics but I wish I had some of her recipes.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

Nice. Last Christmas I gathered all the old family recipes I could find and made up cookbooks for all the kids (well, young adults) in the family. Those things get lost too easily. It may not be exactly the same as Mom or Grandma made, but it's nice to carry on some of those traditions. Especially holiday favourites.

L Gilbert

Any cook will use a recipe at some point. We got the Pillsbury cookbook as a wedding present forty odd years ago. About ten years later
I bought the St. Louis cookbook on the recommendation of a friend. These two are the only cookbooks I ever use and they are almost worn out.
Does anyone have a favourite cookbook?

We have cookbooks in hardcopy, but both of us find that the Google Cookbook is much better than any. lol
neither of us follow recipes that strictly.

gopher
can't say that I have a favorite gluten free cookbook but amazed at how many have been written over the years:

gluten free cookbook - Google Search

taxslave
+1
My wife wrote a cookbook for her clients with food allergies. Wheat, gluten and yeast free cooking. Sells a dozen or so every month online.

She also did one for brewing without any additives. Just like in the old days.