Liberals just want to get it over?

jjaycee98
Conservative
+1
Edmonton Journal article claims the Liberals just want to rid themselves of Iggy. 14% approval says they made a Bad Choice for leader and this is the only way to get rid of him.

Anyone notice that Bob Rae is "missing in action" these days. Laying low? Plotting behind the scenes? Goodale is the only other visable member these days. Sending the old war horse out to salvage what they can?

Liberalman
Free Thinker
Breaking promises and the law, treating visible
minorities like crap, being a hair’s width from the ef word you know one of the
isms, Stephen Harper can sing and play the piano and should get together with
Jack Layton and form a band when he ends up in opposition.

Unforgiven
Elections are to be paced. I've seen Bob Rae as his riding is close to mine. I will make a point of dropping in and telling him some neocon from Alberta is concerned about him. I am sure when he finds out it isn't Harpo, he will be flabbergast at the notion.

taxslave
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by jjaycee98 View Post

Edmonton Journal article claims the Liberals just want to rid themselves of Iggy. 14% approval says they made a Bad Choice for leader and this is the only way to get rid of him.

Anyone notice that Bob Rae is "missing in action" these days. Laying low? Plotting behind the scenes? Goodale is the only other visable member these days. Sending the old war horse out to salvage what they can?

You have to be in Ontario or QUebec to find a liberal. Even Iggy knows better than to flog a dead horse. perhaps next time the Libs can get a leader instead of another looser.

mentalfloss
Edmonton Journal is in Edmonton.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Edmonton Journal is in Edmonton.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Avro
No Party Affiliation
Maybe this election will see the end of the Liberals once and for all.

A Libertarian party could come in and fill the void bringing a return of classic liberals.

Mowich
Conservative

It does seem that no one but Iggy stands in front of the cameras these days - oh except for a short introduction to the candidate if Ig happens to be in a constituency and not snuggling up to the media for another non-announcement. It's just Ig, Ig, Ig everywhere - gotta wonder why, as you say, Rae is absent along with other members of the Lib caucus - gag order? Ashamed to be on the same stage with the stooge?

Walter
+1
Iggy has to let Harvard know by May 15 if he is coming back, hence the election call.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

Breaking promises and the law, treating visible
minorities like crap, being a hair’s width from the ef word you know one of the
isms,

You summed the Liberals, since the late sixties nicely there LiberalMan, thanx.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

You summed the Liberals, since the late sixties nicely there LiberalMan, thanx.

And the cons have their share of blood in that as well with their stance on Tamils.

CDNBear

And the cons have their share of blood in that as well with their stance on Tamils.

What stance is that?

Lets not forget what party has more visible minorities then the Liberals do eh.

mentalfloss

What stance is that?

Lets not forget what party has more visible minorities then the Liberals do eh.

Well that's very misleading since you can be a minority without being an immigrant, so your comparison is unfair. More importantly though, it really doesn't matter who's in the party.

What is important is the decisions that party makes for the country regarding immigration.

The conservative government would rather take a 'shut-them-out' approach as exemplified in their desire to just shoe off the Tamils. The liberals seem wishy-washy on this issue and will appease the country's "ethical stance of the day" to get a vote if they could.

Both are terrible representatives for this country, but voters are easily bribed with tax cuts.

CDNBear

Well that's very misleading since you can be a minority without being an immigrant, so your comparison is unfair.

No it isn't.

What drives your belief the Conservatives are against Tamils?

Quote:

More importantly though, it really doesn't matter who's in the party. What is important is the decisions that party makes for the country regarding immigration.

And what have they done that in any ways says visible minorities go home?

Last I checked, the country still had a policy of preferred visible minority immigration.

Quote:

The conservative government would rather take a 'shut-them-out' approach as exemplified in their desire to just shoe off the Tamils.

Do you understand the difference between human smuggling and immigration?

Here's a hint, one is legal, the other is not.

Oh, and what did ever happen to the ship full of Tamils, including suspected Tigers?

Quote:

The liberals seem wishy-washy on this issue and will appease the country's "ethical stance of the day" to get a vote if they could.

Well at least we agree on something.

Quote:

Both are terrible representatives for this country...

I have a list with over 200 reasons why one of those parties is worse.

Quote:

...but voters can be easily bribed with tax cuts.

Some maybe.

mentalfloss

Do you understand the difference between human smuggling and immigration?

Here's a hint, one is legal, the other is not.

Quote:

“There’s no doubt that we, Australia and a lot of people knew about this ship and were it not for legal constraints, could have seized this ship,” a Canadian official said. “Everyone felt powerless by the current legal regime to do anything about it.”

Canada missed chances to stop Tamil migrant ship

Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

ABSOLUTELY!

If you want to come to this country, get in line.

Otherwise **** OFF.

As for the refugee ships, I'd board them off shore, arrest the crews, put aboard Canadian Navy personnel to run the ship and provide medical services to the passengers......and turn the entire lot around and take them right back where they came from.

If they were people that were legitimate refugees, in immediate danger of murder and mayhem back home, then they would spend a long time in camps in Canada........until the bona fides and background of every one was verified....or out you go.

The current system is absolutely insane.

Why are you so distrusting of immigrants?

Is it because you are conservative? Or liberal? Or both - like most of the country?

Colpy
Conservative
+1

Well that's very misleading since you can be a minority without being an immigrant, so your comparison is unfair. More importantly though, it really doesn't matter who's in the party.

What is important is the decisions that party makes for the country regarding immigration.

The conservative government would rather take a 'shut-them-out' approach as exemplified in their desire to just shoe off the Tamils. The liberals seem wishy-washy on this issue and will appease the country's "ethical stance of the day" to get a vote if they could.

ABSOLUTELY!

If you want to come to this country, get in line.

Otherwise **** OFF.

As for the refugee ships, I'd board them off shore, arrest the crews, put aboard Canadian Navy personnel to run the ship and provide medical services to the passengers......and turn the entire lot around and take them right back where they came from.

If they were people that were legitimate refugees, in immediate danger of murder and mayhem back home, then they would spend a long time in camps in Canada........until the bona fides and background of every one was verified....or out you go.

The current system is absolutely insane.

Mowich
Conservative
+1

Why should Canadians welcome the backdoor approach of the Tamils? Some of the loudest voices against allowing them into the country came from legal immigrants who had to fulfill all the requirements in order to enter our country. Immigrants are welcome to our country as long they are able to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are who they say they are and that they do not come here to foment terrorism. Gas up the ships and send any 'boat people' back to their port where they can approach the process of immigration in a legal and acceptable manner.

CDNBear

Canada missed chances to stop Tamil migrant ship

That says nothing.

Could you answer my questions in your own words?

Quote:

Why are you so distrusting of immigrants?

I'm not actually. But the passengers of the Sun Sea weren't immigrants.

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
Border officials should have deported Iggy when he came back her with his visions of being crowned the emperor of Canada

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Not defending anyone on the Sun Sea, but to Britain, the Pilgrims were in the same league....

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Not defending anyone on the Sun Sea, but to Britain, the Pilgrims were in the same league....

Ummm, weren't the Pilgrims mostly British Protestants (Some being from the Netherlands), leaving Britain and going to a British colony?

lone wolf
Free Thinker

Ummm, weren't the Pilgrims mostly British Protestants (Some being from the Netherlands), leaving Britain and going to a British colony?

Was the New World even colonized then? Pilgrims were regarded as separatists because they chose to separate from the Church of England.

mentalfloss
I dunno, maybe I'm reading the cons wrong on this one. They've always seemed like they don't want any immigrants, but I hope I'm wrong on that one. If what you say is true then we shouldn't be hearing any criticism about existing immigration laws from their mouths.

I'm pretty worried that there will be some sort of major reform because both liberals and conservatives appear to want to restrict further immigration, imo.

jgarden

The downside of this analysis is that what does it say about Harper if he can't lead the Conservatives to majority governments against such "bad choices" as Iggy and Stephane?

CDNBear

If what you say is true then we shouldn't be hearing any criticism about existing immigration laws from their mouths.

Why? Immigration reform isn't necessarily being bigoted against immigrants.

Quote:

I'm pretty worried that there will be some sort of major reform because both liberals and conservatives appear to want to restrict further immigration.

And there's a problem with that?

Cobalt_Kid

The same thing was being said about Harper before the conservatives won a slim minority in 2006, it's amazing what winning an election does to a leaders support within his party.

It comes down to what voters want and after five years of being stuck in Harpers political tar sands I'm betting many Canadians are ready for a change.

mentalfloss

Why? Immigration reform isn't necessarily being bigoted against immigrants.

And there's a problem with that?

I think so. I think we should be welcoming immigrants with open arms. I like having a more diverse cultural landscape.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1

I think so. I think we should be welcoming immigrants with open arms. I like having a more diverse cultural landscape.

I have no problem with restricting immigration to those who can pass a background check. The people are alright. Their wars aren't.

mentalfloss
Okay, but how can we be certain that they are harmful? What's the current protocol?

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
+2
#30  Top Rated Post

Yeah, the grand multicultural mosaic which can be found in the large cities. I drive 20 minutes out of Toronto, pretty much 90% white. So your diverse cultural landscape would be more accurately described as multicultural urban pockets.