God is Just and Remembers

Motar
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

Yes, it looked that way to me too, they both are, agreeing to disagree without judging each other negatively.

It is a spiritual principle in the body of Christ.

“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.”
(Ephesians 4:2-3)

At the return of Christ, this principle will be universal practice.

Dexter Sinister
+1
He's not coming back, and there's no reason to think the being Christianity claims he is was ever here in the first place. That there was a charismatic preacher in first century Palestine the tales of him are based on seems beyond doubt, in fact there were likely quite a few of them, it was a time of great political and religious ferment in that area of the Roman Empire, but most of the tales about him are made up.

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Motar View Post

If you were in a situation where you could choose between “winning” an argument or winning a friend, which would you choose and why, Dex?

"Why, Ed Barclay! What an ugly thing to say! Does this me we're not friends anymore? 'Cause if I thought you weren't my friend, I don't think I could bear it."

-- Doc Holliday, Tombstone

Dexter Sinister
+1

It is a spiritual principle in the body of Christ..

Such scholarly disputation was certainly happening in civilizations in ancient China, India, Greece, Egypt, and Rome, and it's a strong component of Judaism's rabbinical tradition, all long before Jesus' time, we have records. The great library at Alexandria was a centre of such activity in the ancient world, and its founding predates Jesus' time by several centuries. Christianity doesn't get to claim credit for that one, it's a bit of wisdom learned from others.

Motar

If you were in a situation where you could choose between “winning” an argument or winning a friend, which would you choose and why, Dex?

God chose friendship in selecting Abraham:

“And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend.” (James 2:23)

Dexter Sinister
+2
Would that have been before or after god told Abraham to barbecue his boy Isaac? Abraham might have believed he was god's friend, but god was no friend of Abraham's.

Motar

Would that have been before or after god told Abraham to barbecue his boy Isaac? Abraham might have believed he was god's friend, but god was no friend of Abraham's.

God chose friendship with humankind in choosing Abraham.

"But you, Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, the offspring of Abraham, my friend" (Isaiah 41:8 )

Dexter Sinister
+1
Isaiah and James saying it doesn't make it so. What kind of friend does what god did to Abraham, and what does your common sense tell you about that? The only conclusion I can draw from it is that in addition to his manifest other faults, god lies.

I'm reminded of Sam Harris' remark on such things: religion has people by the millions believing things that only lunatics would believe on their own. And he offers this example: if you believe that saying a few words over your pancakes in the morning turns them into the body of Elvis Presley, you have lost your mind. But if you believe the same thing about a cracker and Jesus, you're just a Catholic.
Last edited by Dexter Sinister; 1 week ago at 05:59 PM..

Motar

Isaiah and James saying it doesn't make it so. What kind of friend does what god did to Abraham?

Abraham is the human ancestor of Jesus who said:

“Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” (John 15:13)

More than just speak about this kind of love, Jesus embodied it.

Dexter Sinister
+1
Sure. Once upon a time there was a lovely garden, with a talking snake who duped a gullible woman into eating the fruit of a magic tree that was forbidden, she tricked her equally gullible partner into eating it too, and as a result we all have an evil spell on us called original sin. A few thousand years later god decides to provide a way for humans to remove that spell, and the best he can come up with is a gruesome human sacrifice, making one man the scapegoat for everything we've ever done and ever will do wrong. Except he didn't really die, he was magically resurrected a few days later, so it's hard not to doubt the validity of that sacrifice. He promises eternal life and removal of the spell if we accept him as lord and master, believe the right things, and follow the proper rituals. That is the core claim of Christianity, stripped of its mysticism and specious niceties. It strikes me as a particularly noxious fairy tale, but today millions of people believe in the efficacy of that sacrifice, and look forward--many of them eagerly--to massive death and destruction all over the world when the man returns, as described in Revelation. Looks like a death cult to me.
Last edited by Dexter Sinister; 1 week ago at 09:36 PM..

Motar

Sure. Looks like a death cult to me.

“In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.” (John 1:4)

Motar

“In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.” (John 1:4)

“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” (John 10:10)

Motar

“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” (John 10:10)

“Because I live, you also will live.” (John 14:19)

Dexter Sinister
+1
The Bible saying it doesn't make it so, that's just the tired old argument from authority fallacy. You might as well cite Greek mythology, it carries about as much weight. If you have no thoughts of your own and intend to just keep on trying to contradict me with biblical citations, I think we're done here.

DaSleeper
The only thing <I won't say worst> but as bad as religious fanatics who proselytize on forums is people who waste their time using logic against them!
I worked with a Jehovah witness for 15 years! It didn't take me long to learn my lesson.....lol

Motar

The Bible saying it doesn't make it so

“Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.” (Jeremiah 33:3)

Dexter Sinister
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

The only thing <I won't say worst> but as bad as religious fanatics who proselytize on forums is people who waste their time using logic against them!

You never know who might be reading this without engaging in the exchange, and finding it useful in sorting out their own thoughts. I think religious claims need to be challenged, it's long past time they stopped getting respect just because they have the religious label on them. I will, as you've seen, stop at some point when the person making the religious claims refuses to engage, then it becomes a waste of time, but the challenge needs to be issued.

Motar

The hope of peace through the government of Christ.

In Him all controversy ceases:

“After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count from every nation, tribe, people, and language standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. And they cried out in a loud voice: “Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.” (Revelation 7:9-10)

Marana tha!

DaSleeper

You never know who might be reading this without engaging in the exchange, and finding it useful in sorting out their own thoughts. I think religious claims need to be challenged, it's long past time they stopped getting respect just because they have the religious label on them. I will, as you've seen, stop at some point when the person making the religious claims refuses to engage, then it becomes a waste of time, but the challenge needs to be issued.

As you can see from his last post, which I didn't even bother to read, he has no interest in discussion, just using the internet as a virtual megaphone!
A waste of time ... maybe not for him, because he knows that at least one person is reading what he posts

Dexter Sinister
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

... his last post...

Motar's female.

Motar

You never know who might be reading this without engaging in the exchange, and finding it useful in sorting out their own thoughts

“Out in the open wisdom calls aloud,
she raises her voice in the public square;
on top of the wall: she cries out,
at the city gate she makes her speech (Proverbs 1:20-21)

Motar

Not much point in talking otherwise.

I agree, Dex. Sorry, my posts have been so terse lately. These last two weekends I have had major assignments to complete and turn in. What would you like to discuss?

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

What does the word god represent? For most people it represents an omnipotent entity that created the Universe but is not part of it, which takes a personal interest in our lives. That entity does not exist. It is pure fabrication by an immature, insecure ego that cannot come to terms with its own insignificance.

Let me put it this way:
Horton Hears a Who – Horton was an elephant who hears a voice coming from a spec of dust floating by. He eventually discovers that an entire civilization occupies this tiny spec of dust and they are calling out to see if there are any other life forms out there occupying other specs of dust. Does this sound familiar? We are the Who that Horton hears.

Horton is an entity that occupies a world with a multitude of other entities and this world is just a spec of dust to other worlds occupied by a multitude of other entities… ad infinitum. There is no way that the Who can comprehend who or what Horton is. In our terms, the Who would think that Horton was a god. But Horton did not create anything nor is he any more divine than any other entity.

Taken as a metaphor, the story parallels our own. We occupy a tiny spec of dust in an infinite sea of dust and we are trying to contact other specs of dust (SETI) to see if we are alone or not in the infinite sea. Our comprehension of the vastness of this sea is infinitesimal. We call this sea the Universe and nothing in it exists outside or separate from it. There may be other universes out there but that is a speculation that is of no use to this discussion.

Excellent post, Cliffy.

Mowich
I firmly believe that god does not exist nor has he ever. He is a figment of the overworked imagination of zealots who wished to impose some form of control over the masses, IMHO. History has shown that religion has been the cause of billions of deaths over the centuries when two or more opposing religious factions are unable to tolerate the existence of the other. The harm done by those who follow the dictates of an imaginary entity has been well recorded and continues into this century and few religions are exempt from blame.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

I firmly believe that god does not exist nor has he ever. He is a figment of the overworked imagination of zealots who wished to impose some form of control over the masses, IMHO. History has shown that religion has been the cause of billions of deaths over the centuries when two or more opposing religious factions are unable to tolerate the existence of the other. The harm done by those who follow the dictates of an imaginary entity has been well recorded and continues into this century and few religions are exempt from blame.

Politics is the same. We are about to witness a civil war on our southern border between right wing and left wing political factions. Don't think that it will not spill over into Canada. The far left and far right in Canada are not that much different than those in the Yankeeland.
Last edited by Cliffy; 5 days ago at 01:55 PM..

DaSleeper
And your fakebook bible is so much more believable ... huh?

Dexter Sinister

If you have no thoughts of your own and intend to just keep on trying to contradict me with biblical citations, I think we're done here.

What would you like to discuss?

What *you* think, not what you find the Bible telling you to think.

Motar

What *you* think, not what you find the Bible telling you to think.

Would you like to start a new discussion thread for us?

Dexter Sinister
No, this one's fine.