What you might be driving soon...

Zan
There's some pretty interesting work going on in the development of alternative energy / high efficiency vehicles:

The car that's a motorcyle: Aptera

Kreskin
The Canadian and US governments better get of their asses and seriously entice the creation and purchasing of more energy efficient vehicles. I propose that the first North American automaker that produces (fill in the blank of the standard that will move us away from ME oil) and sells x-number of vehicles by (fill in year) is rewarded with paying no corporate tax for 10 years. The second producer gets 5 years. That would get attention and spark a serious revolution in the NA auto industry, and it would be the equivalent to peanuts for government funding because taxes would be offset somewhat by sales, jobs, and spin off industry growth.

Or we can wait around and watch oil go to multi-hundreds of dollars and syphon the hell out of everyone.

Zan
Anything that propels the mass movement to energy efficient vehicles is a good idea imo.

Here's another we could see on the roads - if they can ever figure out how to get the battery power problems figured out:

The GM Volt

Zan
The Fisker Karma (cute name loll)

my gawd, it's the Batmobile!!

Zan
Bricklin Collection Plug-in Hybrid Electric Luxury Sedan EVX/LS

#juan
Toyota Camry Hybrid.
Here is one you can buy and drive right now. Over fifty mpg on the highway and more than that in town. It is so quiet you wonder if there is an engine in it. At a stoplight everything shuts down untlil you step on the gas again.

#juan
What I like about the Camry hybrid is that it is a full size car that can carry five adults and it gets better mileage than most minis. Proving that you don't have to drive an upholstered rollerskate to get good fuel economy.

Avro
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

Toyota Camry Hybrid.
Here is one you can buy and drive right now. Over fifty mpg on the highway and more than that in town. It is so quiet you wonder if there is an engine in it. At a stoplight everything shuts down untlil you step on the gas again.

Funny you should mention it, we are getting rid of our BMW to get one of these. Our van is next, trying to figure out ways to offset my vett, but it is only on the road 4 months out of the year.

karrie
The Aptera looks like it's built on a Bombardier Spyder

Andem
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

The Aptera looks like it's built on a Bombardier Spyder

It sure does!

Lester
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

The Canadian and US governments better get of their asses and seriously entice the creation and purchasing of more energy efficient vehicles. I propose that the first North American automaker that produces (fill in the blank of the standard that will move us away from ME oil) and sells x-number of vehicles by (fill in year) is rewarded with paying no corporate tax for 10 years. The second producer gets 5 years. That would get attention and spark a serious revolution in the NA auto industry, and it would be the equivalent to peanuts for government funding because taxes would be offset somewhat by sales, jobs, and spin off industry growth.

Or we can wait around and watch oil go to multi-hundreds of dollars and syphon the hell out of everyone.

That a hell of a good idea.

hermite
Here's what I'm looking at

But I think Kreskins's idea is good, too.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by hermite View Post

Here's what I'm looking at

But I think Kreskins's idea is good, too.

I would cut the frame of the crocery cart at the rear axle hieght and attach bycicle (two) wheels on the cart one on each side. The forks shoud be welded to the back of the cart as well. That guy has skinny legs he's not a pro biker.

hermite
Yeah, that picture looks rather labor intensive. Actually, I'm looking at buying one of those kid carriers that attaches to the back of the bike. I saw someone take one to a yard sale and they filled it up with all sorts of stuff. And no welding involved (my welding skills being on the limited side) .

darkbeaver

Yeah, that picture looks rather labor intensive. Actually, I'm looking at buying one of those kid carriers that attaches to the back of the bike. I saw someone take one to a yard sale and they filled it up with all sorts of stuff. And no welding involved (my welding skills being on the limited side) .

The kid carrier is a better idea.

karrie

Bike trailers are awesome (the wheels actually turn unlike half the shopping carts out there.. lol), and they don't all have to be of the kid carrier variety. There are some more aerodynamic versions available.

#juan
Back in the days od Stanley Park, we used to see all kinds of kid carriers on a weekend. I thought they were a good idea for tooling the kid(s) around Stanley Park but I wouldn't like to see them mix with rush hour commuter traffic unless the bike rider was at least expert skill level. Even a minor contratemps with a motor vehicle could be seriouis for the child. These things offer protection from rain and nothing else.

Nuggler
Years ago.....(why is everything I say prefaced by "years ago")............???

I owned a big balloon tired bike, and it was great. Comfy ride, and.................well, comfy ride.

Just as soon as I can get one of these with, say a 3 speed gear thing,,,,,,,,,,I'm gettin one. Have a 18 speed now, but it's gathering dust in the woodshed. Always feel like I'm about to be launched over the handlebars.

We need a common sense bike with common sense height and common sense handlebars, with at least 3 speed gear do dad............just so me ol legs don't get ripped all to ratsh!t on the way to the liquor store.

Failing all this,,,,, a Vespa scooter.

yay for our ****ing team

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

We need a common sense bike with common sense height and common sense handlebars, with at least 3 speed gear do dad............just so me ol legs don't get ripped all to ratsh!t on the way to the liquor store.

My bike looks rather old fashioned, despite being new. And if you don't notice the automatic gear shift, it might actually fool you.