Canada fights back with tariffs

Vanni Fucci
Free Thinker
No mention of Canada in this one

Reverend Blair
That's okay, Vanni...I'm sure Bill O'Reilly will remember us anyway.

the US complaining about trade practices is laughable. The idea that they'll go balls to the wall with China, who basically owns them, is hilarious. They are pandering to certain sectors of the electorate...practicing for the mid-terms.

mrmom2
Another reason to hate the US goverment !All Canadians should read that post and see how there sticking it to us

Walrus
Quote: Originally Posted by crit13

I would agree with Mike. We need them more than they need us.

80% of our exports are bought by the US. If they decided to shut down the border our economy would be non-existant.

They would face some hardships with energy but that would just speed up the Alaskan oil fields and import more oil from Iraq.

Lets not forget that oil will eventually run out and the US is by far the country that spends the most on R&D. They may suffer for a few years, but once they develop and mass produce alternative fuels, we can kiss our economy along with the ME's economy good bye.

We have an advantage over the ME though because we are more able to adapt. A large portion of our GDP comes from energy exports but almost ALL of the ME GDP comes from oil or natural gas.

You've been listening to FOX & O'Reilly too much. Canada is the United States' largest trading partner. Canada is the largest supplier of oil, natural gas, electricity, coal, and uranium to the United States. If the United States shut down the border between us and them, certainly it would hurt us badly but it would devastate the US economy since we supply them with somewhere around 40% of the total energy that they consume. With China becoming more of a consumer of raw materials we could probably make up the loss of trade witrh the US through them - the biggest concern becomes that the Americans would take what they want through force, something that is far more likely and which we can't defend against.

no1important
We need to aggressivly start trying to trade more with China and other countries for our resources. America always stated we were their friends but we are not. They stab us in the back at every opportunity. We need to wean ourselves off being so dependant on them for trade. They do not give a rats ass about us, just their own protectionist goals. They pretend to be our friends when they need something. Like power, natural gas etc.....

They are not our friends. American are isolationists, they do not respect International Law or Trade Laws, even when they know they are wrong. They just use and take advantage of other countries in the world and with the EU, Japan, Canada etc fighting back it is obvious the rest of the world is sick and tired of America's behaviour.

The rest of the world could function quite nicely if everyone stopped trading with America. But America could not function if that happened. "W" has pushed the rest of the world away from America.....

crit13
Quote:

We need to aggressivly start trying to trade more with China

The worlds leader in human rights violations?

Quote:

America always stated we were their friends but we are not. They stab us in the back at every opportunity

They are the first ones on the scene whenever we needed them. Why do you think we can get away with having a military the same size as Fiji's?

Quote:

The rest of the world could function quite nicely if everyone stopped trading with America.

It's one thing to be anti-Americam but let's at least be practical. Do you think that it's a coincidence that the entire world goes into recession whenver the US does. The fact of the matter is, the US makes up 40% of the worlds economy. Over 90% of all life changing inventions and discoveries have occured in the US since 1900. Including the computer and the internet that you are playing on right now.

Did you know that the internet which the entire world depends on so greatly and is the provider of millions of jobs was a US military invention?

Reverend Blair
Quote:

They are the first ones on the scene whenever we needed them. Why do you think we can get away with having a military the same size as Fiji's?

Like WWI? How 'bout WWII...for a while there was even a question of which side they'd fight on. Maybe they were first in Rwanda? Nope, in fact they blocked other countries from sending help. How about Sudan where they blocked attempts to pass a resolution to try people at the ICC until yesterday. They finally abstained...did not vote for the resolution...under guarantees that Americans who commit crimes in Sudan won't be tried at the ICC.

First on the scene my ass. They show up at the end.

Walrus

Quote:

We need to aggressivly start trying to trade more with China

The worlds leader in human rights violations?

According to who?

Quote:

America always stated we were their friends but we are not. They stab us in the back at every opportunity

Read Rev's comments - in addition, we have never, I repeat never, asked the Americans for military aid. We have been invaded by them (twice), had attacks launched from them by third parties (the Fenians), and been accused of being a breeding ground for terrorists. As a matter of fact the only country ever to attack Canada directly has been the United States and they still remain the highest threat to attack Canada.

Quote:

The rest of the world could function quite nicely if everyone stopped trading with America.

It's one thing to be anti-Americam but let's at least be practical. Do you think that it's a coincidence that the entire world goes into recession whenver the US does. The fact of the matter is, the US makes up 40% of the worlds economy. Over 90% of all life changing inventions and discoveries have occured in the US since 1900. Including the computer and the internet that you are playing on right now.

Did you know that the internet which the entire world depends on so greatly and is the provider of millions of jobs was a US military invention?

My God - you never cease to amaze me, the way you pull these amazing numbers out of the air to support your arguments -
According to numbers from the World Bank (last published numbers are from 2002), the United States economy had a Gross National Income (GNI) of $9.6 Trillion out of a Global GNI of $43.7 Trillion - giving it approximately 21% of the Global GNI, half of what you are claiming. As far as your claim that the United States has contributed over 90% of the life-changing inventions, I won't even bother to start to list how wrong you are because it would take up too much space. They also provide nearly 50% of the military exports to developing nations ($90 Billion out of Global total of $188 Billion in 2000) Talk about your 'life-changing' inventions

Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

First on the scene my ass. They show up at the end.

You forgot to mention that they are also the first to claim credit when they are on the winning side and first to deny their involvement when they are on the losing side

Ten Packs
Quote:

My God - you never cease to amaze me, the way you pull these amazing numbers out of the air to support your arguments -

According to scientific studies, 73.6% of statistics used in debates are made up on the spot.... whoops! make that 73.7%.

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Jay, there is a lot of evidence that trade would have grown more, and more equitably, without NAFTA. Read Mel Hurtig's books.

Thanks for the book suggestion.

I know if it were up to me, I wouldn't have signed NAFTA, I would have gone about it differently.

The one time I vote Liebral was when they said they wouldn't sign the agreement, and would eliminate the GST.

I learned from my mistake, and I will not make it again.

UofSaskatchewan
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

http://www.canadianembassy.org/trade/wltr-en.asp

Let's not allow some Canadians to destroy this.

Just like Lumber and Wheat Mr.Corporate croney? All that millions and billions of dollars wont amount to much if the recipient partner isnt willing to trade fair.

Reverend Blair
We won the hog dispute today. It cost Canadian hog farmers $10 million to fight. The US has collected $25 million in duties that they never should have collected. Now we have to go back and fight to get the $25 million back.

no1important
Thats BS the US should buck up and pay money back, same with the lumber.

mrmom2
They won't give it back they would rather let the lawyers get all the money!

Ten Packs
Quote: Originally Posted by no1important

Thats BS the US should buck up and pay money back, same with the lumber.

Just a sign of who we're dealing with......

PoisonPete2
Damn it! I'm boycotting American oysters as of today. No more American oysters on my plate. But hey! oysters have aphrodesiac effect. Those sneaky Americans. Got my by the balls again

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by mrmom2

That don't sound to good to me We might end up like Germany telling woman on unemployment they have to be prostitute themselves did you hear that story?

Minor correction there. Tey required her to accept ajob in a brothel, but it wasn't actually as a prostitute. If I understand correctly, prostitutin id legal in Germany, and so legal brothelsalso need shouffers, bartenders, and other suport staff. don't get me wrong, though, I reject adultery on moral grounds (a little tricky to commit prostitution without committing adultery, unless you're giving your spouse money for sex, which in that case is your fettish and your business

Machjo
Hey, I think the rev is onto something:

Stop all exports of natural resourses to the US (cologicalbenefit), allow any bilingual French-English US citizen with no outstanding record to come to Canada (solves our population problems along with strengthening Anglo-Quebec relations) and with the increased population start producing North America's needs from Canada (after al, how is the US to compete with noeffeicient access to resources?)

Sorry, I don't actually agree wit this and it is alittlevindictive, but somehow some satanic side of me would justrelish it.