Latest Federal Polls


Twin_Moose
Conservative
+1
#781
Trudeau's Still Got A Lead With Young Voters: Poll

He may have a chance if the below 30 crowd shows up to vote
 
spilledthebeer
#782
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

34 and 31 are exactly the same in that neither one of them is within spitting distance of a majority.






HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA


HAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


We should get some enterprising store cashier to charge............................................ .........


hemerHOID $34.00 for an item that is CLEARLY Marked............................................


as $31.00 and see if the shop owner can then..................................


get hemerHOID to calm down long enough to



to listen to an explanation regarding ..............................


the HYPOCRISY of the hemerHOID position!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

 
Tecumsehsbones
#783
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Trudeau's Still Got A Lead With Young Voters: Poll
He may have a chance if the below 30 crowd shows up to vote

Next step. . . push through a maximum age for voting.
 
Hoid
#784
he has many advantages including being popular in Ontario and Quebec where all the votes are and being unpopular in the west where all the votes aren't.
 
Twin_Moose
Conservative
+1
#785
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

he has many advantages including being popular in Ontario and Quebec where all the votes are and being unpopular in the west where all the votes aren't.

Only need to split the vote in both provinces for a majority Con. Gov., like you say go Green
 
coldstream
+1
#786
I got a pamphlet from my local Conservative MP extolling the agenda of a Conservative government as primarily in reducing the deficit. This conforms to the NeoCon profile of the Conservative Party since Mulroney. It's fixated on the deficit, something they will not be able to cut fast enough to compensate for a failing economy. It lacks any sense of imagination and investment in the country.

It is in thrall of Free Trade, multilateral globalism and laissez-fair domestic libertarianism. It lacks any sense of Canada's future as an independent, integrated, sovereign, industrial nation. It's primary lure is that of tax cuts, which to them means imposition of regressive tax regimes in support of the rich. That is by definition a liberal economic strategy. It is trickle down, supply side, nonsense.

The Conservatives under Scheer seem to have no vision. No sense of the electoral revolution that is sweeping the West.. in support of the morally rigorous, nationalist, populist, dirigiste, fiscally progressive programs. They can't seem to make headway against this manifestly inept, incompetent, effeminate New Age twit in Justin Trudeau. Maybe Canada needs a new party of the Right. The Conservatives seem to be hopeless.
Last edited by coldstream; Aug 21st, 2019 at 12:53 PM..
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
#787
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

I got a pamphlet from my local Conservative MP extolling the agenda of a Conservative government as primarily in reducing the deficit. This conforms to the NeoCon profile of the Conservative Party since Mulroney. It's fixated on the deficit, something they will not be able to cut fast enough to compensate for a failing economy. It lacks any sense of imagination and investment in the country.

It is in thrall of Free Trade, multilateral globalism and laissez-fair domestic libertarianism. It lacks any sense of Canada's future as an independent, integrated, sovereign, industrial nation. It's primary lure is that of tax cuts, which to them means imposition of regressive tax regimes in support of the rich. That is by definition a liberal economic strategy. It is trickle down, supply side, nonsense.

The Conservatives under Scheer seem to have no vision. No sense of the electoral revolution that is sweeping the West.. in support of the morally rigorous, nationalist, populist, dirigiste, fiscally progressive programs. They can't seem to make headway against this manifestly inept, incompetent, effeminate New Age twit in Justin Trudeau. Maybe Canada needs a new party of the Right. The Conservatives seem to be hopeless.


All the parties are pretty hopeless. We need Harper back in charge.
 
spilledthebeer
+1
#788
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Trudeau's Still Got A Lead With Young Voters: Poll

He may have a chance if the below 30 crowd shows up to vote






ON THE BRIGHT SIDE.....................................


Our idiot Boy will HAVE NO CHANCE.....................................


if the 55 plus percent of the Cdn population........................................ .


meaning Silent majority................................


that does not usually vote..........................................


decides they are PISSED ENOUGH to act this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


In other news...............................


older folks are much more likely than our ill - educated.......................................... ...


and rather unworldly kids...............................


to bother voting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
 
spilledthebeer
#789
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

All the parties are pretty hopeless. We need Harper back in charge.




Scheer is a decent substitute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!


But aint it FUNNY......................................


COLDSTREAM is telling us that massive DEBT is okay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!


Even as the Italian govt collapses into Greek style CHAOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Lunatic LIE-berals truly believe they can spend their way clear of the swamp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
#790
Quote: Originally Posted by spilledthebeer View Post

Scheer is a decent substitute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!


But aint it FUNNY......................................


COLDSTREAM is telling us that massive DEBT is okay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!


Even as the Italian govt collapses into Greek style CHAOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Lunatic LIE-berals truly believe they can spend their way clear of the swamp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canada is way WAY back in the pack ...

http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...national-debt/
 
pgs
Free Thinker
#791
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Canada is way WAY back in the pack ...

http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...national-debt/

Does that make it okay ?
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
-1
#792
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Does that make it okay ?

It makes it less of an immediate crisis.

Now, the USA is in SERIOUS trouble.
 
pgs
Free Thinker
#793
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

It makes it less of an immediate crisis.

Now, the USA is in SERIOUS trouble.

Why ?
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#794
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

It makes it less of an immediate crisis.

Now, the USA is in SERIOUS trouble.


NO they are NOT! The economy is humming, employment is at its highest level in years and stock market is soaring.
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
+1
#795
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Why ?

Their indebtedness is almost off the scale.
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
+1
#796
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

NO they are NOT! The economy is humming, employment is at its highest level in years and stock market is soaring.

National debt to GDP ratio in the US is 109.45%. They are one of the most indebted places on Earth. The economy is humming for the 3/4 of the population that participates in it. Huge chunks of the US are "have not" by Western economic standards.
 
pgs
Free Thinker
#797
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

National debt to GDP ratio in the US is 109.45%. They are one of the most indebted places on Earth. The economy is humming for the 3/4 of the population that participates in it. Huge chunks of the US are "have not" by Western economic standards.

Are people required to stay where there are no jobs ?
 
Colpy
Conservative
+4
#798
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

National debt to GDP ratio in the US is 109.45%. They are one of the most indebted places on Earth. The economy is humming for the 3/4 of the population that participates in it. Huge chunks of the US are "have not" by Western economic standards.


When the unemployment rate is 3.7%, the only ones not participating are the people that don't want to participate.
 
Hoid
#799
just like in Canada under Trudeau

massive employment
 
spilledthebeer
#800
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Canada is way WAY back in the pack ...

http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...national-debt/








POOR STUPID Comrade Curious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!


His world view HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED since Joe Clark.....................................


WHO???????????????????????????????????????


Was a punk kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !



The fact that we are simply the LEAST BANKRUPT ................................................


of various western nations........................................... .......................


DOES NOT ELIMINATE OR ALLEVIATE THE FACT.............................................


THAT WE ARE BANKRUPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!










Canada Mortgage and Housing Coorp tells us that seniors in Toronto are staying longer in their large homes - instead of down sizing to smaller places. The pollsters suggest this is because seniors enjoy better health and can handle the big home better than before.

I suggest a second influence is the fact that the cost of housing - including property taxes is now so high across all of Southern Ontari-owe that there is NO SAVINGS TO BE HAD AND NO REASON TO MOVE!!

Condo maintenance fees are now at crippling heights - especially since glass started showering off condo towers!! And it is our dead broke kids who are being shoved into those towers by LIE-beral economic policy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In earlier times - seniors could move to a smaller city outside the GTA and buy a nice little house and save lots of cash - but LIE-beral influence on housing prices and real estate taxes has made such a move prohibitive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Property taxes in HOGTOWM Toronto are the LOWER than in any other municipality for hundreds of miles in any direction -courtesy of LIE-berals who funneled TEN TIMES MORE provincial transfer cahs to each Toronto citizen than they did to any other municipal citizens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To get any real estate savings one now has to move so far from friends and family that it is demoralizing for seniors!!

In addition - the distribution of specialist health care providers is so uneven - with so many specialists concentrated in the GTA that moving OUT of GTA is bad for seniors health as it makes it harder for them to get aid when needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIE-berals are now worried that there will be a shortage of family sized homes for the younger generation- courtesy of shameless LIE-beral vote buying that has MONKEYED the Toronto real estate market and related taxes for decades!!!!!!!!!

And in other news- desperate LIE-berals- frantic to change the news away from their Lavalin Scandal- are now telling us that Cdns do not want the new NAFTA Agreement ratified because the Yankees still have tariffs on various Cdn industries!

And yet LIE-berals have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to resolve the Cdn national security issues and GROSS LIE-beral immigration loopholes that are VEXING Yankees so greatly......................and which are the MOTIVATION for the tariffs!!!

In other news.........China bans shipments of Cdn Cannola oil- citing problems with “PESTS” !!!!!

So that is how China sees us........as PESTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In other news a Conservative MPP asks LIE-beral Kathleen Wynne “why are you still here”?

It seems a valid question considering the crushing defeat her party suffered last June!!!!!!!!! But one should NEVER under estimate the gravy hunting capacity of LIE-berals - NOR their lack of SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry- NOT SORRY - FOR POINTING THAT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In related news- Toronto mayor John Tory says his talks with premier Doug Ford about uploading the TTC “are very complicated”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this a city code meaning that Ford is not being fooled by Tory trying to dump UNFUNDED TTC pension costs -that city councillors promised in exchange or Hog votes - but never paid for- onto the province????????????????????

LIE-berals also assure us that a just released child molester with MULTIPLE CONVICTIONS will be carefully monitored..............though LIE-berals do not say by who! And would it not be A LOT EASIER to monitor this molester in a JAIL CELL??????????????

In the latest news on the just released child molestor- it is alleged that the guy is now claiming to be a transgender woman -BUT HE HAS NOT HAD SURGERY AND IS NOT TAKING HORMONE THERAPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Therefore the suddenly publicity shy LIE-berals have recognized that the guy is PLAYING THE PAROLE BOARD and is thus quite capable of switching BACK to full on child molesting mode as soon as cops and parole board stop snooping into his business!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On March 8, 2019, Cdn news media displayed its schizophrenic economic view!

On one hand Cdn media crowed about the remarkable number of new jobs created in Jnauary and February!!!!!

In other news they tell us that Bank of Canada is worried about the unexpected weakness in the economy!

Bank of Canada is so worried about this “unexpected weakness” they are now talking about REDUCING interest rates to aid the economy!!!!!!!!!!!!

But LIE-berals told us our economy was booming??????

And LIE-berals told us we needed tighter mortgage rules to prevent a damaging mortgage bubble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And LIE-berals told us we COULD AFFORD higher interest rates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a GLARING set of economic CONTRADICTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can LIE-berals HOLD ANY POLICY for more than a week?????????

LIE-berals then told us that although a whole slew of new jobs were created - our jobless rate is unchanged since so many new people came forward looking for work!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes- new Cdn workers just magically popping out of the woodwork whenever LIE-berals look away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the BIG LIE-beral LIE in action- to HIDE how many Cdns have despaired of ever having a decent job or of being able to fully pay their bills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the second biggest LIE-beral LIE is about how many people CANNOT LIVE on what they are being allowed to earn in our over taxed country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toronto Red Star media whores- apparently seeking to mitigate some of the damage from Lavalin, ask us if Lavalin “represents a failure of governance or a failure of journalism”??????????????

And of course it is BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LIE-beral policy is based on personal greed and lust for power at any price!!!!!

Even staunch LIE-beral supporter Peter Newman tells us this in his book “When the Gods Changed”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And BAD JOURNALISM aided LIE-berals in gaining that power in the 2015 election!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The election of our idiot Boy Justin was a triumph of greed over costly experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
+1
#801
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

When the unemployment rate is 3.7%, the only ones not participating are the people that don't want to participate.

3.7 is still propaganda. It's nowhere near that low if you count the whole population like we do and every other developed country does.

It makes the Americans look AWESOME which doesn't quite square with the Northern third of their country shutting down, rusting, crumbling away. It's only a ninety minute drive from here.
 
pgs
Free Thinker
#802
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

3.7 is still propaganda. It's nowhere near that low if you count the whole population like we do and every other developed country does.

It makes the Americans look AWESOME which doesn't quite square with the Northern third of their country shutting down, rusting, crumbling away. It's only a ninety minute drive from here.

Are you describing Ontario per chance ?
 
spaminator
#803
Poll shows little change among voters but bad news for Trudeau
Brian Lilley
Published:
August 21, 2019
Updated:
August 21, 2019 5:00 AM EDT
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau attends a Liberal Party fundraiser in Richmond Hill, Ont., Monday, Aug. 12, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young
There hasn’t been a major shift in voter support in the wake of an ethics commissioner report SNC-Lavalin, but the latest numbers still don’t look good for Justin Trudeau’s Liberals.
Numbers released exclusively to the Toronto Sun from the DART & Maru/Blue Voice Canada poll show that while Trudeau’s Liberals are holding steady, the number of people thinking they deserve to be re-elected remains surprisingly low.
Nationally, the Conservatives sit at 39%, up two points from the last poll in July but that bump is primarily due to an increase in support in places like Alberta where the party is expected to sweep. The Liberals hold steady at 32% support, buoyed by very strong numbers in Atlantic Canada and the NDP is at 15% nationally.
The poll also showed the number of people saying they were undecided dropped to 10% down from 22% in the last poll.
Perhaps the figure the Liberals dread the most is on the question of whether the government deserves to be re-elected.
Asked whether they agreed with the statement that, “the Liberals under Justin Trudeau have done a good job and deserve to be re-elected,” just 26% said yes.
“It goes to the momentum to get people out,” pollster John Wright said. “There’s no momentum.”
“You throw governments out, you don’t vote new ones in and right now the momentum to throw this government out is massive.”
LILLEY: Scheer says Mounties must investigate Trudeau
WARREN: No, Trudeau shouldn’t apologize and here’s why
LILLEY: Trudeau’s move on autism a cynical ploy
That is why Wright says the Liberals will continue to run a negative campaign to demonize Conservatives and try to get Liberal voters to bite their tongues and get up off the couch to cast a ballot.
As for the SNC-Lavalin scandal, Wright doesn’t expect any major movement as a result of the issue resurfacing.
Scheer and the Conservatives hold the lead nationally among both men and women and voters under the age of 35. The Liberals hold a slight lead among voters under the age of 35.
The poll — accurate within 2.9% — was conducted with an online panel of 1,512 adult Canadians on Aug. 16-17.
http://torontosun.com/news/national/...ws-for-trudeau
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
#804
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Are you describing Ontario per chance ?

Not yet. We don't have rust belt conditions, here.

Maybe some day.

Looking forward to that, eh pigs?
 
spaminator
#805
Liberals unhurt, Tories not helped by scathing SNC-Lavalin report: Poll
Canadian Press
Published:
August 21, 2019
Updated:
August 21, 2019 5:08 PM EDT
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau delivers remarks at the nomination meeting for Liberal candidate Elisabeth Briere in Montreal on Tuesday, August 20, 2019. A new poll suggests a scathing ethics report on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's handling of the SNC-Lavalin affair hasn't so far hurt the Liberals' chances of re-election this fall -- and it hasn't helped the Conservatives.Paul Chiasson / THE CANADIAN PRESS
OTTAWA — A new poll suggests a scathing ethics report on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s handling of the SNC-Lavalin affair hasn’t so far hurt the Liberals’ chances of re-election this fall — and it hasn’t helped the Conservatives.
Indeed, the Leger poll suggests the two parties were locked in a dead heat, with the support of 33 per cent of voters, as they jockey for position at the starting gate for the Oct. 21 vote.
Liberal support was unchanged from last month, despite last week’s damning report from federal ethics commissioner Mario Dion, who concluded that Trudeau violated the Conflict of Interest Act by pressuring his former attorney general to halt a criminal prosecution of SNC-Lavalin.
Conservative support was down three percentage points from last month, despite the party’s best efforts to re-ignite public outrage over the SNC affair, which propelled the Tories into a commanding 13-point lead over the Grits at the height of the controversy last April.
The poll put support for the Green party at 13 per cent, up one point and ahead of the NDP at 11 per cent. Maxime Bernier’s fledgling People’s Party of Canada stood at four per cent.
The online survey of 1,535 eligible voters was conducted Aug. 16-19 for The Canadian Press and weighted to reflect the makeup of Canada’s population. It cannot be assigned a margin of error because internet-based polls are not considered random samples.
Leger executive vice-president Christian Bourque said the latest results suggest voters have largely put the SNC-Lavalin affair behind them and moved on to issues that affect them more directly — at least for now.
The two main parties are back in a “neck-and-neck race,” which is where things stood in February before the SNC controversy rocked the Liberal government, costing Trudeau two cabinet ministers, his most trusted aide and the country’s top public servant.
“I think that those who changed their mind on the PM and turned their backs on him did that in the spring already,” Bourque said in an interview.
But he said other Canadians appear to be fatigued with the issue and may be thinking “regardless of what I think of the behaviour of the PM, at the end of the day how does this change my life and that of my children, which is nil.”
Still, Bourque warned that “doesn’t mean that it won’t come back to haunt the prime minister” during the campaign, particularly should the RCMP decide to investigate, as Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer has repeatedly pressed the Mounties to do.
The Conservatives and New Democrats tried to revive the controversy at a meeting Wednesday of the House of Commons ethics committee, where they moved to invite Dion, Trudeau and others to testify about the ethics report.
However, the Liberals used their majority on the committee to block the bid to magnify the report just a couple of weeks before Trudeau officially fires the starting gun for the election.
The poll put the Liberals back into a solid lead in the Atlantic provinces, Quebec, Ontario and British Columbia. The Conservatives enjoyed a commanding lead in Alberta and Manitoba/Saskatchewan, with 55 per cent support in both regions.
The Liberals had the advantage in the two most populous provinces, where more than half of the country’s 338 seats will be up for grabs.
In Ontario, home to more than one-third of the seats, the Conservatives appear to be suffering a “spillover effect” from the unpopularity of Doug Ford’s provincial Progressive Conservative government, Bourque said. The Liberals enjoyed the support of 38 per cent of Ontarians, compared to the Conservatives’ 30 per cent, the Green’s 14 per cent, the NDP’s 13 per cent and the People’s party’s three per cent.
In Quebec, home to SNC-Lavalin, the Liberals stood at 34 per cent, compared to the Tories’ 27, the Bloc Quebecois’ 18, the Greens’ nine, the NDP’s eight and the People’s party’s four per cent.
Dion concluded that Trudeau broke ethics law by improperly pressuring former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould to intervene to stop the criminal prosecution of SNC-Lavalin on corruption charges related to contracts in Libya.
Trudeau has acknowledged that he wanted Wilson-Raybould to reconsider her refusal to overturn a decision by the director of public prosecutions, who decided last fall not to invite the Montreal-based engineering and construction giant to negotiate a remediation agreement. Such an agreement would have allowed the company to avoid the risk of a criminal conviction, which would result in it being barred from federal contracts for 10 years.
While he has taken full responsibility for the mistakes that were made, Trudeau has refused to apologize. He has insisted that he was only standing up for the interests of SNC-Lavalin’s 9,000 employees, pensioners and suppliers, who stood to be negatively affected by the potentially crippling cost of a conviction.
Scheer maintains Dion’s report suggests the prime minister’s conduct went beyond a violation of ethics law and warrants a criminal investigation into possible obstruction of justice.
Wilson-Raybould resigned from cabinet over the affair in late February, followed shortly by cabinet ally Jane Philpott. Both women were subsequently booted out of the Liberal caucus and are running for re-election as Independent candidates.
http://torontosun.com/news/national/...in-report-poll
Last edited by spaminator; Aug 22nd, 2019 at 08:15 PM..
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
#806
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Are you describing Ontario per chance ?

Here's where Canada's rust belt is happening.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ling-on-canada
 
pgs
Free Thinker
+2
#807
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Here's where Canada's rust belt is happening.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ling-on-canada

And you wonder why they want out.
 
Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
+3
#808
From: http://nationalpost.com/opinion/kell...ly-in-the-walk

All politicians make promises they can’t, won’t or never intended to keep. In that the Trudeau Liberals are no different to any government before them. But they do hold a special place for loudly declaiming fundamental principles they can’t, won’t or have no intention of observing. This week alone we have had two glaring examples.

During a 2015 leaders’ debate, Justin Trudeau directed one of his patented moralisms at then-prime minister Stephen Harper.

A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian. And you devalue the citizenship of every Canadian in this place and in this country when you break down and make it conditional for anyone,” he said in moral outrage at Tory treatment of accused terrorists.

Then along came Jack Letts, “Jihadi Jack,” relieved of his British citizenship in a last-minute move by the departing U.K. prime minister Theresa May, leaving Canada as his only potential refuge. So of course, Trudeau moved quickly to ensure Letts got all the rights, protections and assistance due a Canadian citizen abroad, right?



Not even close. Despite several attempts to extract a coherent position from the prime minister, Trudeau hemmed, hawed, dodged and weaved, resolutely refusing to give a straight answer. While Andrew Scheer made clear he would “not lift a finger” to let Letts into Canada, Trudeau couldn’t explain why this Canadian isn’t as Canadian as other Canadians, or offer anything close to a cogent explanation of how the government plans to handle the situation.

While still struggling with that problem, Trudeau ran up against another. When he was just an opposition leader, Trudeau professed shock at the Harper regime’s tight-fisted hold on public information, and swore his government would ensure a new, open and accommodating approach. Members of Parliament would be freed from their shackles to express views and examine issues. Government activities would default to transparency. “A Liberal government will restore Parliament as a place where accountable people, with real mandates, do serious work on behalf of Canadians,” he proclaimed.

Unless, it turns out, that serious work might possibly embarrass the governmentespecially in the weeks leading to an election in which the Liberals are struggling to hang onto their ground. So this week obedient Liberals blocked efforts by the House of Commons ethics committee to question Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion. The commissioner released a stinging report last week decrying Trudeau’s treatment of former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould and his assiduous efforts to prevent SNC-Lavalin from facing corruption charges. In his report, Dion complained of being denied access to important additional information, and Trudeau’s refusal to waive cabinet confidentiality so witnesses could share all they knew.

Liberals on the ethics committee ensured fellow MPs would have no better luck searching for answers. It was the same ploy they used to prevent the justice committee from hearing additional testimony in March, when the Prime Minister’s Office desperately wanted to halt the flood of damning revelations related to the SNC affair.

It’s been that way throughout the Trudeau Liberals’ four years in office, during which Trudeau has apologized far and wide for actions taken by other people and other governments, while resolutely refusing to accept blame for errors of his own. Trudeau’s response to Dion’s findings, grudgingly taking responsibility “even though I disagree with some of his conclusions” could go down in the annals of ambiguity with the late, great William Lyon Mackenzie King’s famed non-policy for World War Two recruitments: “Not necessarily conscription, but conscription if necessary.




That’s the problem with putting yourself forward as a practitioner of superior moral and ethical standards. “Politics and partisanship have never mattered more,” Trudeau complained of the Harper regime. “After promising reform, the Conservatives have delivered the most centralized, partisan, self-serving government in Canadian history.”

Until now, that is. Trudeau clearly studied Harper’s methods, and adopted many as his own. Departing Liberal MPs complain of being shut out of decision-making, sidelined by the tight squadron of unelected apparatchiks around Trudeau, expected to spend question period parroting pre-written statements while policy is devised and legislation dictated from within the PMO. Trudeau is a distant figure: if more in touch with his cabinet and caucus he wouldn’t have been caught so unprepared for Wilson-Raybould’s response to being demoted over an affair that started when the Liberals obligingly pushed through legislation designed specifically for SNC-Lavalin, using an omnibus bill to hide its presence despite having denounced their use by previous governments.

I wouldn’t use them, period,” he said of omnibus bills before becoming prime minister, insisting legislation must be “thematically and substantively linked in all their different pieces” to be kosher. That principle, too, disappeared once he was in office. How SNC’s need to be saved from a court date was “thematically and substantively linked” to a federal budget bill remains a poser.

Trudeau’s difficulty derives from his love of grandstanding, his appetite for performing, his need to strike the dramatic pose. It caught the public imagination at the time, but has worn thin as the deeds fail to match the words. A critical concern for Liberals as October’s election draws near is Trudeau’s declining popularity among women, who can’t have failed to notice the gap between his self-declared feminist credentials and his shabby treatment of Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpott, two leading women in his cabinet who quit in response to his actions.



It will be difficult, if not impossible, for Trudeau to get back that aura of righteousness and rectitude, having provided so much evidence to the contrary. Relentless virtue-signalling tends to lose its impact when the signals so often prove no more than words.
 
pgs
Free Thinker
+1
#809
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

From: http://nationalpost.com/opinion/kell...ly-in-the-walk

All politicians make promises they can’t, won’t or never intended to keep. In that the Trudeau Liberals are no different to any government before them. But they do hold a special place for loudly declaiming fundamental principles they can’t, won’t or have no intention of observing. This week alone we have had two glaring examples.

During a 2015 leaders’ debate, Justin Trudeau directed one of his patented moralisms at then-prime minister Stephen Harper.

A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian. And you devalue the citizenship of every Canadian in this place and in this country when you break down and make it conditional for anyone,” he said in moral outrage at Tory treatment of accused terrorists.

Then along came Jack Letts, “Jihadi Jack,” relieved of his British citizenship in a last-minute move by the departing U.K. prime minister Theresa May, leaving Canada as his only potential refuge. So of course, Trudeau moved quickly to ensure Letts got all the rights, protections and assistance due a Canadian citizen abroad, right?



Not even close. Despite several attempts to extract a coherent position from the prime minister, Trudeau hemmed, hawed, dodged and weaved, resolutely refusing to give a straight answer. While Andrew Scheer made clear he would “not lift a finger” to let Letts into Canada, Trudeau couldn’t explain why this Canadian isn’t as Canadian as other Canadians, or offer anything close to a cogent explanation of how the government plans to handle the situation.

While still struggling with that problem, Trudeau ran up against another. When he was just an opposition leader, Trudeau professed shock at the Harper regime’s tight-fisted hold on public information, and swore his government would ensure a new, open and accommodating approach. Members of Parliament would be freed from their shackles to express views and examine issues. Government activities would default to transparency. “A Liberal government will restore Parliament as a place where accountable people, with real mandates, do serious work on behalf of Canadians,” he proclaimed.

Unless, it turns out, that serious work might possibly embarrass the governmentespecially in the weeks leading to an election in which the Liberals are struggling to hang onto their ground. So this week obedient Liberals blocked efforts by the House of Commons ethics committee to question Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion. The commissioner released a stinging report last week decrying Trudeau’s treatment of former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould and his assiduous efforts to prevent SNC-Lavalin from facing corruption charges. In his report, Dion complained of being denied access to important additional information, and Trudeau’s refusal to waive cabinet confidentiality so witnesses could share all they knew.

Liberals on the ethics committee ensured fellow MPs would have no better luck searching for answers. It was the same ploy they used to prevent the justice committee from hearing additional testimony in March, when the Prime Minister’s Office desperately wanted to halt the flood of damning revelations related to the SNC affair.

It’s been that way throughout the Trudeau Liberals’ four years in office, during which Trudeau has apologized far and wide for actions taken by other people and other governments, while resolutely refusing to accept blame for errors of his own. Trudeau’s response to Dion’s findings, grudgingly taking responsibility “even though I disagree with some of his conclusions” could go down in the annals of ambiguity with the late, great William Lyon Mackenzie King’s famed non-policy for World War Two recruitments: “Not necessarily conscription, but conscription if necessary.




That’s the problem with putting yourself forward as a practitioner of superior moral and ethical standards. “Politics and partisanship have never mattered more,” Trudeau complained of the Harper regime. “After promising reform, the Conservatives have delivered the most centralized, partisan, self-serving government in Canadian history.”

Until now, that is. Trudeau clearly studied Harper’s methods, and adopted many as his own. Departing Liberal MPs complain of being shut out of decision-making, sidelined by the tight squadron of unelected apparatchiks around Trudeau, expected to spend question period parroting pre-written statements while policy is devised and legislation dictated from within the PMO. Trudeau is a distant figure: if more in touch with his cabinet and caucus he wouldn’t have been caught so unprepared for Wilson-Raybould’s response to being demoted over an affair that started when the Liberals obligingly pushed through legislation designed specifically for SNC-Lavalin, using an omnibus bill to hide its presence despite having denounced their use by previous governments.

I wouldn’t use them, period,” he said of omnibus bills before becoming prime minister, insisting legislation must be “thematically and substantively linked in all their different pieces” to be kosher. That principle, too, disappeared once he was in office. How SNC’s need to be saved from a court date was “thematically and substantively linked” to a federal budget bill remains a poser.

Trudeau’s difficulty derives from his love of grandstanding, his appetite for performing, his need to strike the dramatic pose. It caught the public imagination at the time, but has worn thin as the deeds fail to match the words. A critical concern for Liberals as October’s election draws near is Trudeau’s declining popularity among women, who can’t have failed to notice the gap between his self-declared feminist credentials and his shabby treatment of Wilson-Raybould and Jane Philpott, two leading women in his cabinet who quit in response to his actions.



It will be difficult, if not impossible, for Trudeau to get back that aura of righteousness and rectitude, having provided so much evidence to the contrary. Relentless virtue-signalling tends to lose its impact when the signals so often prove no more than words.

All fluff , no stuff .
 
Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
#810
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

And you wonder why they want out.

Canada didn't do that to the.

BC did, arguably.
 

Similar Threads

2
Latest 2016 presidential election polls
by Icarus27k | Jan 3rd, 2015
219
Canada's Federal Election Polls
by Liberalman | May 1st, 2011
44
Advance Polls (for the Federal Election)
by Ron in Regina | Apr 23rd, 2011
37
Latest Polls
by Jersay | Jan 23rd, 2006