December 2017 Federal Byelections

Corduroy
Quote:

Voters in four ridings spread across the country go to the polls Monday in federal byelections that will provide a midterm report card on Justin Trudeau's Liberal government and present another tough electoral test for Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer.

Two of the ridings holding byelections — in Ontario and Newfoundland and Labrador — were last held by Liberals. The other two ridings, in Saskatchewan and British Columbia, were won by the Conservatives in 2015.

The byelection contests are happening in:

• Bonavista–Burin–Trinity in Newfoundland, last held by Liberal Judy Foote.
  • Scarborough–Agincourt in Ontario, last held by Liberal Arnold Chan.
  • Battlefords–Lloydminster in Saskatchewan, last held by Conservative Gerry Ritz.
  • South Surrey–White Rock in B.C., last held by Conservative Dianne Watts.

What to watch as Trudeau, Scheer face test in 4 byelections - Politics - CBC News

Most of the analysis I've read (including the one I linked to) says that the BC seat is the only toss up. As far as I can remember South Surrey-White Rock in BC has been strongly conservative. I'd see the seat flipping in a byelection as an upset but it would be easily explained away as an off-year anomaly. If the Liberals won White Rock this year, I wouldn't count out the Conservatives taking it back in 2019. Other ridings I'm not familiar with. Maybe other forum members know about those areas.

The pundit narrative is the usual test of leadership. Trudeau is two years in power as PM, so it's a performance review while Scheer and Singh are newly minted leaders. Byelection coverage tends towards over-analysis, but it's still fun.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
Sask. should be a gimme for Cons.

Corduroy
Looking at the previous elections and 2015, it looks like that Saskatchewan riding is a Conservative landslide, which means that it won't mean much if the Conservatives win again.

As for the BC riding, I was working only on memory when I said it was Conservative dominated. That's still true, but it was very close on 2015. Just over a thousand votes between the Conservative winner and the Liberal runner up. I guess that's a better test of both leaders than I thought.

justlooking
+1
The NFLD and the ON ridings should be easy holds for the Libs.
Shocking considering the government's performance.

Hoid
+1 / -1
if the voters cared about the performance of the federal government the conservatives would have been wiped out after 10 years of harper.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

if the voters cared about the performance of the federal government the conservatives would have been wiped out after 10 years of harper.

Hardly. SOme of us like responsible government that can keep taxes low and promote Canada to investors. Now we have a clown that gives millions of our tax dollars to known terrorists and nothing for our vets.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Hardly. SOme of us like responsible government that can keep taxes low and promote Canada to investors. Now we have a clown that gives millions of our tax dollars to known terrorists and nothing for our vets.

I predict with this clown it will just be a matter of time before income tax splitting for seniors will go the way of the Dodo. Oops is there a pun there somewhere?

Hoid
+1 / -1

lol

Harper went $150 billion into debt after being handed a country with 8 straight balanced budgets.

The only way he ever balanced one was to get a whole bunch back from his vet's affairs dept. because they didn't spend it on vet's

Walter
+1
Won’t result in a change of gubmint so it doesn’t matter to anyone outside those ridings.
Last edited by Walter; Dec 11th, 2017 at 09:36 PM..

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
+1
Snot fair!

Only two of them are in the West!

Snot fair!

mentalfloss
Whenever I think of Saskatchewan compared to the rest of Canada, I kinda feel like it's the equivalent of rooting for the Florida Panthers as your favourite hockey team.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+2

lol

Harper went $150 billion into debt after being handed a country with 8 straight balanced budgets.

The only way he ever balanced one was to get a whole bunch back from his vet's affairs dept. because they didn't spend it on vet's

Harper had the bad luck of having several minority governments and was forced into spending money we didn't have by an opposition that wanted nothing better than to have him fail.
Thank you for playing though.The previous Liberal "balanced" budgets were only balanced by stealing from EIC and down loading costs on the provinces.

Hoid
+1

Harper had the bad luck of having several minority governments and was forced into spending money we didn't have by an opposition that wanted nothing better than to have him fail.
Thank you for playing though.The previous Liberal "balanced" budgets were only balanced by stealing from EIC and down loading costs on the provinces.

whatever. its always something.

the victim card is getting worn out

cbc calling the NL seat for the liberals
Last edited by Hoid; Dec 11th, 2017 at 10:13 PM..

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

whatever. its always something.

the victim card is getting worn out

cbc calling the NL seat for the liberals

You might do well to listen to taxslave and heed his advice. Unlike you he's been "around the block" a time or two.

Hoid
vancouver seat also to the liberals.

3 out of 4 for Trudeau.

justlooking
+1

3 out of 4 for Trudeau.

Everyone loves the government !

Everyone loves Trudeau !

Moore free money for everyone !

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by justlooking View Post

More free money for everyone !

Just for the short term.........................VERY short term!

spaminator
Jean Yip, Your Liberal Candidate for Scarborough-Agincourt
when she won do you think she said yippee?

Hoid
Quote: Originally Posted by justlooking View Post

Everyone loves the government !

Everyone loves Trudeau !

Moore free money for everyone !

Moore free money.

tha's funny

tay
+1
Liberals 41, Conservatives 30, NDP 18, Green 7 : Nanos

https://www.nationalnewswatch.com/20...green-7-nanos/

taxslave
Free Thinker

3 out of 4 for Trudeau.

when did Vancouver get an open seat?

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
Lots of crazy democratic communist out there to continue Trudeau’s stupidity.

tay

when did Vancouver get an open seat?

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...eadership.html

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by tay View Post

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...eadership.html

That is White Rock, NOT Vancouver.

Corduroy
+2
Well that's that. The BC riding was close in the last election but it's also been a conservative riding of varying shades for many years. It was a PC riding, then Reform, then CA, then that anti-Stockwell Day contingent for a while, and then Conservative.

You can take whatever stance that suits your biases.

- it's changing demographically
- Trudeau's popularity is more enduring than expected
- it's an off year election so fewer people voted.
- the Liberal candidate Gordon Hogg is just a popular guy

It bears pointing out that the previous MP was Dianne Watts who was a fairly popular mayor of Surrey (the riding encompasses part of Surrey) and the Liberal candidate, Gordon Hogg, was a popular mayor of White Rock. Hogg was also a BC Liberal MLA and Dianne Watts is running for the BC Liberal leadership. So politically they are kind of the same and conservative leaning voters might have seen Gordon Hogg as an acceptable centrist or simple name recognition won the day.
Last edited by Corduroy; Dec 12th, 2017 at 12:51 PM..

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
They work at the government offices in Surrey. Trudeau has been good to them.

Colpy
Conservative
+2

Harper was at least competent, if far from perfect.

Trudeau is a complete idiot. It will take us two decades to dig out from the hole he is digging for us......just like Daddy.

I could list on one hand what he has done right.

Just a minute.....I could list on one finger what he has done right.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Trudeau is a complete idiot. It will take us two decades to dig out from the hole he is digging for us......just like Daddy.

You would love him if he ran under a conservative banner. You just hate liberals.

Hoid

Right. And mississauga isn't toronto

Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

He is accumulating debt at a slower pace than Harper did.

So ?

and not all Harpers plans were wrong - for instance the $10K tax deduction for home improvements was effing brilliant. Put money right into peoples houses and right into the local economies.

Of course it only lasted a year - which is unfortunate because it should be permanent.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

I'll say- 30 miles from Vancouver- closer to Bellingham.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

You would love him if he ran under a conservative banner. You just hate liberals.

Is it a matter of hating Liberals or is it more that the Liberals are too wasteful?