This is not manslaughter - This is the deliberate murder of a person

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Who can testify to what they saw, heard or know. They can not testify to what they think may have been going through the drivers head.

Although true. By the age of 15, people have there sense of right and wrong firmly instilled.

That is entirely dependant on the circumstances.

Although true, the Jury can reject the charge. As they did in the case in the OP.

On a side note. I was at the Courthouse on the 21st, I actually watched Plunkett's wife make her statement after the Jury rejected the charge of Murder, opting instead to convict him of manslaughter. I was also there on the 29th, which was the day after the incident with the youth on hiway 48, when Nadeem Jiwa was sentenced to 12 years, minus time served.

You could feel the contempt in the air.

And yes contempt is what the average Joe Blow feels for the justice system. That is why, wrongly I may add that many are for mimimum sentences. Wrongly I will clarify because in some cases the Cons are getting it wrong.

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshiv View Post

Under the current system of "justice", he'll be out in 7 years. Nice.

You're sort of right here. As a "youth" the max sentence is 7yrs, but that's cut into two
parts....1/2 in custody & 1/2 served in the community...and then factor out any remand
time counting double coming off the sentence for the 'in custody' time....so that kid will
most likely be out long before his 18th birthday, if I understand things correctly.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

You're sort of right here. As a "youth" the max sentence is 7yrs, but that's cut into two
parts....1/2 in custody & 1/2 served in the community...and then factor out any remand
time counting double coming off the sentence for the 'in custody' time....so that kid will
most likely be out long before his 18th birthday, if I understand things correctly.

Yep, the little bastards literally get away with murder these days, back in the day we got worse for lipping off the old man!

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Yep, the little bastards literally get away with murder these days, back in the day we got worse for lipping off the old man!

I wouldn't go as far to say that.

I'm still working with a Native youth that is trying to navigating the system and actually get justice.

I understand that this is purely anecdotal, but you must admit, I'm a pretty "Law & Order" kinda guy. The system does coddle some kids, while others get lost and or have their rights trampled.

The young man I represent is having an uphill battle. His crime, assault. If it weren't for the fact that he's Native, his bail conditions would have not been upheld. Simply because there just isn't anything available in the youth justice system, until conviction.

Thankfully, the Anish community in my area, has court recognized programs, that allowed him to meet his bail conditions.