Politicians in GTA lack diversity

Locutus
Only 11 per cent of the 347 GTA elected officials at the three levels of government are held by visible minorities, who make up two of five residents in the region.
A study released Tuesday by DiverseCity: The Greater Toronto Leadership Project — compiled at the completion of this year’s federal, provincial and municipal elections — found that visible minorities account for 25 per cent or 12 of the 47 GTA seats in the Ontario legislature.
Visible minority group representation is dismal at the federal and local levels — making up 17 per cent of the region’s 47 seats in the House of Commons and just 7 per cent of 253 municipal council seats.

more

Toronto News: Politicians in GTA lack diversity - thestar.com

IdRatherBeSkiing
So? People do not elect their representatives based upon what race they are. They do based upon their record and their party and their party's record.

mentalfloss
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

So? People do not elect their representatives based upon what race they are.

You haven't been to Oakville.

dumpthemonarchy
Free Thinker
New Canadians/immigrants/vizmins, are completely Canadian of course, but because many are not white, they are racially categorised by the govt and proclaimed by the media to be different. In a colour blind society, you're not supposed to notice colour, yet the media is mendacious here on this issue and notice it all the time. How is the media so sure who is not white or not Canadian? This is not reporting, but opinion because many people listed in these stats actually feel Canadian, but if they don't look Canadian, they are not Canadian.

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

This is not reporting, but opinion because many people listed in these stats actually feel Canadian, but if they don't look Canadian, they are not Canadian.

Opinion? Seems to be statistics to me. Does someone lose their ethnicity or race when they feel Canadian

Spade
Free Thinker
My neighbour Henry says his third cousin twice removed graduated from both McGill and the UofS. Yep, he says, he's a man of diversity!

dumpthemonarchy
Free Thinker
+2
#7  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

Opinion? Seems to be statistics to me. Does someone lose their ethnicity or race when they feel Canadian

These stats seem like opinion to me. Only the govt keeps these stats, no one else. The govt determines our race. And yet, race is not scientific, it has no basis in science. Just because race is mentioned in the Charter of Rights does not make it a fact.

Spade
Free Thinker
Race is a social construct, not a genetic reality. And, ethnicity is a fiction. Is someone from the UK a Celt, Angle, Saxon, Jute, Roman, Scandinavian, Norman, etc....

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

These stats seem like opinion to me. Only the govt keeps these stats, no one else. The govt determines our race. And yet, race is not scientific, it has no basis in science. Just because race is mentioned in the Charter of Rights does not make it a fact.

The govt determines our race? That's idiocy. So you're telling me a black person is only so due to some government definition?

darkbeaver
Republican
Political diversity deficit is the usual outcome of totalitarian constructions ain't it?

Spade
Free Thinker

The govt determines our race? That's idiocy. So you're telling me a black person is only so due to some government definition?

NOVA | Does Race Exist?

dumpthemonarchy
Free Thinker

Yes. Govts keep statistics on race, no one else does. Because it is assumed the public wants stats on race, there is legislation so StatsCan can collect and create stats on race. It'sa very complicated subject and I'm in favour of less govt these days and this is one area the govt should do much less. I put it on the same level as collecting stats on housework by men. I don't want to hear about it, or pay for it. Layoffs or in order here.

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

NOVA | Does Race Exist?

While an interesting article, race, even if it is a social construct, is still all about identity.

dumpthemonarchy
Free Thinker
Identity, race, culture, nation, it's all a hodgepodge. We are more flexible on the topic than say Russians or Japanese. They might not even have a word for race.