Gun Control is Completely Useless.

mentalfloss
Looks like most of the U.S. is swinging for more gun control since Columbine.

Like I said, if we have a couple more of these, it won't matter what kind of logic, stats or the constitution says, the government will make some serious changes.

So you better tell your peoples to get their **** together Colpers.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JaneBlonde View Post

If you are a gun owner and one of the estimated 1 in 10 Americans who suffer from depression - http://1.usa.gov/T4Ud9J - or the 1 in 4 who suffer from a mental illness of any kind - http://1.usa.gov/Yeeai4 - you need to relinquish your weapons, have a third party secure them until you are better, or stop calling yourself a "responsible" gun owner. I sincerely hope you get all the help you need, but people who are not in control of their faculties should not be in the possession of guns. That is not responsible.

If you live in the same household as someone who suffers from depression or mental illness, you should relinquish your weaponry or secure your gear in an appropriate gun safe at the very least. Responsible people do not leave guns l...ying around the home so they are accessible to those who suffer from mental or emotional instability.

Bars and homeowners are routinely held to account for the people who drink under their roof, hop behind the wheel of their cars, then get in an accident and hurt or kill someone.

Your responsibility as a gun owner is no less than that of the person who serves tasty treats.

A buddy of mine has a mental health issue and he is a competing trap shooter. His tourettes can sure put bees in old biddy's bonnets but he's harmless.

My cousin has an OCD where he is constantly checking to make sure he has his keys.

Should they turn in their guns because they have mental health disorders?

Colpy
Conservative
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Looks like most of the U.S. is swinging for more gun control since Columbine.

Like I said, if we have a couple more of these, it won't matter what kind of logic, stats or the constitution says, the government will make some serious changes.

So you better tell your peoples to get their **** together Colpers.

Don't bet on it.

And any constitutional law they pass will not deter spree shooters for a millisecond.

Which is why the only solution is giving people the ability to defend themselves, and those that depend on them.

Anything else is either useless, or counter-productive.

Nuggler
Quoting Colpy: ""Therefore, there is only one way to have the slightest chance of stopping the next killer.

Willing individuals should undergo training, and get licensed to carry. The restrictions against carrying anywhere must go. Schools should designate armed first responders to take the course, and carry concealed, be they teachers, maintenance staff, or administrators.

The next time someone takes a weapon into a school, they should be met with armed resistance, instead of wailing and cries for mercy from the helpless.

It is the only answer.""

Sad state of affairs, and you are probably, unfortunately, right.

One armed, trained person could have blown that little fuc ker through the wall, and more kids could have gone home at the end of the day.

In the US, at least, there's no sense bemoaning the number of guns, since it is what it is, and not likely to change.

Locutus
+1
via Zip:

Here in Mass where it’s almost impossible for a law abiding citizen to carry a concealed weapon this story would have ended much differently.

A gunman retreated from a Casper nail salon last week after realizing one of its customers was packing heat.

Police say about 5:30 p.m. on Dec. 3, a man walked into Modern Nails at 2645 E. Second St. and asked a female employee if she wanted to buy some diamonds. The man walked toward the front desk area and the woman replied that she had no money to buy diamonds.

A witness said the man then reached into his coat pocket and began to take out a silver-colored pistol.

At that moment, a woman who was getting her nails done reached into her purse and got her own firearm. Police say the man never fully raised the gun and left the building after seeing the customer had her weapon out.

The man is described as black, early 40s, more than 6-foot-4, about 250 pounds and very muscular. A witness said he was well-dressed and wearing light-colored slacks.

Police declined to release the name of the woman, and employees at Modern Nail were unavailable for comment.

Casper Police: Nail salon customer packs heat, gunman leaves

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

No such thing as a dangerous tool. Only dangerous operators......Well some people are tools and they are dangerous.

Semantics.

Locutus
+1
Man Attempts to Open Fire on Crowd at Movie Theater, Armed Off-Duty Sheriff’s Deputy Drops Him With One Bullet

via sda:

Things You'll Never See On The CBC

Or anywhere else;
The commotion sent horrified restaurant patrons into the movie theater lobby, but the gunman followed. He again attempted to open fire, and this time his gun didn't jam. Garcia reportedly shot one man in the chest before Antu says an off-duty sheriff's deputy working security the theater shot him once, dropping him to the floor.
Flashback: Michael Moore's Bodyguard Arrested on Airport Gun Charge

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+2
Proper gun control: "off-duty sheriff's deputy working security the theater shot him once, dropping him to the floor"

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Don't bet on it.

And any constitutional law they pass will not deter spree shooters for a millisecond.

Which is why the only solution is giving people the ability to defend themselves, and those that depend on them.

Anything else is either useless, or counter-productive.

Well get ready for some counterproductive legislation..

Newtown school shooting: Obama launches push for gun control; Biden to spearhead effort - thestar.com

"Absolutely no reason" for assault rifles, Mark Garneau| The Chronicle Herald

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Well get ready for some counterproductive legislation..

Newtown school shooting: Obama launches push for gun control; Biden to spearhead effort - thestar.com

"Absolutely no reason" for assault rifles, Mark Garneau| The Chronicle Herald

Not exactly counter productive, it will shut some people up and may be a vote getter in the next election! Why is it that the ones who whine most about guns are the ones who know least about them? Fear of the unknown I guess! -

taxslave
Free Thinker
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Not exactly counter productive, it will shut some people up and may be a vote getter in the next election! Why is it that the ones who whine most about guns are the ones who know least about them? Fear of the unknown I guess! -

Sounds a lot like the law makers that made pot illegal. Same mentality.

Locutus
+2
Flashback 2008: Biden Says “I Guarantee You Barack Obama Ain’t Taking My Shotgun – If He Tries To Fool With My Beretta, He’s Got A Problem”…

Joe Biden brags about his Beretta - YouTube

h/t Zip

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Flashback 2008: Biden Says “I Guarantee You Barack Obama Ain’t Taking My Shotgun – If He Tries To Fool With My Beretta, He’s Got A Problem”…

Joe Biden brags about his Beretta - YouTube

h/t Zip

lol Bombasm is funny. Especially when it's accompanied by spooky music. The issue needs thoughtful action, but definitely does not need reactionary overplay.

tay
+1
Maybe the best solution is to give evry American a fully automatic weapon and let them go at it..................

Locutus
+2
If you want to end gun deaths, don’t start with rifles

You are more likely to be killed with someone’s “hands/feet/fists” than a rifle.

If you want to end gun deaths, don

Colpy
Conservative
+3
Obama's Hypocrisy Problem On Guns in [Market-Ticker]

Nuggler
+1
I watched the speech by the head of the NRA. In my opinion only, he's a ****ing delusional nutbar.

just sayin.

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

I watched the speech by the head of the NRA. In my opinion only, he's a ****ing delusional nutbar.

just sayin.

Extremes in most things are pretty freaky at times.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

just sayin.

Yea but he is our nutbar. Not some lefty anti rights nutbar.

Nuggler
+1

Obama's Hypocrisy Problem On Guns in [Market-Ticker]

Helluva good article, Colpy.

Just cause I believe the head of the NRA is a nutbar, doesn't change the fact that I do endorse concealed carry within schools by trained teachers. Not uniformed security guards. They stand out as a target.

Gun free zones...........give us a break.............all the ducks neatly lined up for slaughter.

Whatever they do down there, probably nada, it won't bring the kids back.

If our family was unfortunate enough to have to live in the US, most of us would definitely be packing a pistol.

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Yea but he is our nutbar. Not some lefty anti rights nutbar.

LOL Watch over and protect him, Tax. you ol righty .

Notice in the army they say "by the left, quick march"..........they got a clue.

Colpy
Conservative
+2
Quote:

Consider the latest U.S. tragedy. The question to ask is: Would any gun-control measures enacted, or even proposed in free and democratic societies, have prevented it? The answer is no. The Newtown shooter used his mother’s (and first victim’s) guns. The strictest gun-control regime permits a woman with no criminal record or psychiatric history to keep non-prohibited and properly stored weapons in her home. No gun laws proposed or implemented make a parent’s gun ownership subject to a successful psychiatric evaluation of teenagers in the household.

In a free society, people have the right to own guns | Full Comment | National Post

bobnoorduyn
Free Thinker
+3

In a free society, people have the right to own guns | Full Comment | National Post

I might add that in a free society you don't have to justify your needs or wants to anyone else.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduyn View Post

I might add that in a free society you don't have to justify your needs or wants to anyone else.

You have that right, Bob. I've owned guns, I've used guns, I've enjoyed using guns and I can appreciate others' use of guns but I'm not obsessed with them, anymore than I'm obsessed with my can opener!-

bobnoorduyn
Free Thinker
+5
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

You have that right, Bob. I've owned guns, I've used guns, I've enjoyed using guns and I can appreciate others' use of guns but I'm not obsessed with them, anymore than I'm obsessed with my can opener!-

I actually got that quote form one of George Jonas's latest columns, but on reflection, I would certainly have to justify my wants with she who must be obeyed, who only justifies hers by saying, "because I need it, that's why".

Locutus
+4
Worth another look:

Watch what happens when Guns are banned in Australia - YouTube

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+3
lmao Trevor Griffin says it's difficult because there's no clear definition of "home invasion". Typical rhetoric from a politician. I bet if his home was invaded, he could think of a definition in a hurry. Something like "invasion of home by unwanted intruder", for instance. Aussie pols must be right up there with the criminals as far as intelligence and integrity goes.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

lmao Trevor Griffin says it's difficult because there's no clear definition of "home invasion". Typical rhetoric from a politician. I bet if his home was invaded, he could think of a definition in a hurry. Something like "invasion of home by unwanted intruder", for instance. Aussie pols must be right up there with the criminals as far as intelligence and integrity goes.

How about two or more people entering a home of their own volition, by whatever means it takes? (that took me about 10 seconds)-

Locutus
+2
NBC’s David Gregory Mocks NRA Chief For Proposing Armed Guards At Schools . . . Fails To Mention He Sends His Kids To School Protected By Armed Guards…

Gregory Mocks LaPierre for Proposing Armed Guards, but Sends Kids to High-Security School | The Weekly Standard

Colpy
Conservative
+1

NBC’s David Gregory Mocks NRA Chief For Proposing Armed Guards At Schools . . . Fails To Mention He Sends His Kids To School Protected By Armed Guards…

Gregory Mocks LaPierre for Proposing Armed Guards, but Sends Kids to High-Security School | The Weekly Standard

What is even MORE hilarious is the idiot Gregory was waving around a 30 round magazine for an AR 15........in Washington DC, where the possession of such a device is a serious offense.

Arrest him.

They sure would have arrested LaPierre had he done so.......

The importance of prosecuting David Gregory if he violated D.C.’s gun law

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1

Worth another look:

Watch what happens when Guns are banned in Australia - YouTube

QUite a good explanation of why so many of us are opposed to gun registration. As experience in Canada as well has shown once legitimate gun owners register their weapons confiscation is just the simple stroke of a pen away. Some how all this do gooderness never has any effect on criminals. Funny that.