Canada hard to define but easy to celebrate, poll suggests

mentalfloss
25% of Canadians actually believe that the country is defined by freedom lol

Canada hard to define but easy to celebrate, poll suggests

What defines Canada? A new survey suggests the answers are as diverse as the country itself.

The poll, commissioned by Historica Canada and conducted by Ipsos, asked a number of questions about various aspects of Canadiana ranging from inquiries about the preferred Canadian dinner companion to most effective single word to describe the country.

Almost across the board, the online poll found little consensus on any of the questions but instead elicited a wide variety of answers.

When asked what single word would describe Canada, the most popular answer was freedom or liberty, a choice made by just a quarter of respondents.

Participants were asked to choose which living or dead Canadian they’d most like to have dinner with, and the top choice – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau – earned just eight per cent of votes.

The survey even found dissent on some of the country’s most stereotypical national symbols, with one third of respondents admitting to a hatred of hockey and 37 per cent disputing the tastiness of ketchup chips.

Canadians did display more loyalty to animals that have come to be seen as national symbols, with 85 per cent of respondents standing by the beaver and 82 per cent expressing fondness for the Canada Goose.

Canadian beer also earned the support of 72 per cent of participants, who proclaimed it among the best in the world.

Historica Canada President Anthony Wilson-Smith said the sheer diversity of survey responses speaks to the makeup of the country itself.

“I think it’s very reflective of Canada that there’s one or two core values that jump up … and then it’s kind of cool that there’s no great consensus on any other thing,” Wilson-Smith said in a telephone interview. “We’re a country where people come from everywhere, have different views, and I think increasingly what defines Canada is you don’t have to fit a national stereotype.”

Canada hard to define but easy to celebrate, poll suggests - CityNews

Tecumsehsbones
Finally! Somebody posted the "Canadian values" I been asking about for years and never got an answer to.

Thanks, CityNews. And thanks for posting it, mentalfloss.

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote:

one third of respondents admitting to a hatred of hockey

Hmmm. Must be foreign-born soccer hooligans.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Finally! Somebody posted the "Canadian values" I been asking about for years and never got an answer to.

No worries.

But you should have known already that we are beacons of liberty.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

No worries.

But you should have known already that we are beacons of liberty.

Bacons of library? Dude, that doesn't even make sense. You been smokin' that good Canadian stuff?

justlooking
+1
Quote:

with one third of respondents admitting to a hatred of hockey and 37 per cent disputing the tastiness of ketchup chips.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Hmmm. Must be foreign-born soccer hooligans.

Traitors, they should all hang.

Canadian beer also earned the support of 72 per cent of participants, who proclaimed it among the best in the world.

OK, this survey is from the Onion or something ? I mean, come on. First time with Czech and German beer was proof enough we had all been lied to.. for a long time.

“I think it’s very reflective of Canada that there’s one or two core values that jump up … and then it’s kind of cool that there’s no great consensus on any other thing,” Wilson-Smith said in a telephone interview. “We’re a country where people come from everywhere, have different views, and I think increasingly what defines Canada is you don’t have to fit a national stereotype.”

Absolutely we should throw away whatever Canada used to represent as fast as possible,
and turn it all into a puddle of mud that means nothing to no one.

petros
+2

Bacons of library? Dude, that doesn't even make sense. You been smokin' that good Canadian stuff?

Other way around. He got smoked by the 5:15 Liberty Express.

Hoof Hearted
Canada is easy to define...

Canada is a shining...er...thing! It exemplifies stuff! And it's these very things and stuff that make us...er...something!!

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post

Canada is easy to define...

Canada is a shining...er...thing! It exemplifies stuff! And it's these very things and stuff that make us...er...something!!

You forgot "eh?"

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation

You forgot "eh?"

"Hunh?" he said really slowly, like he'd been living in Florida all of his life.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Canada is a land mass with an imaginary border separating it from the rest of the land mass called North America. Land stolen from the original inhabitants and exploited for profit by heartless vampires called capitalists. It is run by the same ruling elite that own most of the world and everybody is their slaves through debt. Lots to celebrate there, for sure.

Hoof Hearted
+1
"Participants were asked to choose which living OR DEAD Canadian they’d most like to have dinner with."

I'll pass. Not much conversation and I'd have to pick up the tab.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+3
#13  Top Rated Post
Blame the multiculti bullshit for making it impossible to define Canada.

pgs
Free Thinker
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Canada is a land mass with an imaginary border separating it from the rest of the land mass called North America. Land stolen from the original inhabitants and exploited for profit by heartless vampires called capitalists. It is run by the same ruling elite that own most of the world and everybody is their slaves through debt. Lots to celebrate there, for sure.

Yet you continue to live here and partake in the spoils . Does that not make you some kind of hypocrite ?

Ocean Breeze
Free Thinker
How are you all celebrating Canada's 150 birthday??

The countdown is on

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation
+2

Never overlook the fact that we are not Americans.

pgs
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

How are you all celebrating Canada's 150 birthday??

The countdown is on

Golfing in the morning with a life long friend . Supporting the Buddhist Temple’s Canada Day festivity’s I the afternoon .( the religion of some immigrant friends .) And watching the Canadiana and fireworks in the evening .

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by pgs View Post

Golfing in the morning with a life long friend . Supporting the Buddhist Temple’s Canada Day festivity’s I the afternoon .( the religion of some immigrant friends .) And watching the Canadiana and fireworks in the evening .

You have friends?

I'll bet that they don't know you're a pernicious internet Troll.

Danbones
Free Thinker
I guess he is still off with his friends and isn't here to answer you.

LOL, fishing to day with some of mine! See ya later !

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

I guess he is still off with his friends and isn't here to answer you.

LOL, fishing to day with some of mine! See ya later !

I'm spending the day with my spouse and kids.