Is your neighbourhood ...

View Poll Results: Is your neighbourhood ...
getting better 4 20.00%
getting worse 5 25.00%
staying the same 6 30.00%
undecided 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

SYNC

hermanntrude
ask me again in 5 years

darkbeaver
I don't have a nieghbourhood, I live on a worn out old mountain, it's been the same for about twenty million years.

Said1
Technically, getting better. If can call yuppified getting better..I miss the crackheads and hookers.

hermanntrude
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1 View Post

Technically, getting better. If can call yuppified getting better..I miss the crackheads and hookers.

i could use a few drug dealers moving in around here

Toro
My neighborhood is wonderful.

snfu73
My neighbourhood is getting EXPENSIVE! Housing prices have doubled and tripled on my street since we moved in 4 years ago. It's insane. It isn't an overly nice neighbourhood, but we can't afford to buy a house in it, that's fer sure. Other than that, we have our share of noise and crap that gets to me at times...but, that's been the way it's been from day one.

Kreskin
I have decided to install an underground lawn sprinkler system. It's costing me over 3g's but I couldn't be happier. It takes me about 5 hours of shuffling hoses around the yard in the spring and summer to water the bloody thing. I get it installed within the next 3 weeks. Usually when I spend more than $50 on anything I get some form of buyers remorse. With this decision I keep pinching myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. The best 3g's I could ever spend. Too bad it didn't come with an automatic lawn mower.

The hood is ok too.

snfu73
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

I have decided to install an underground lawn sprinkler system. It's costing me over 3g's but I couldn't be happier. It takes me about 5 hours of shuffling hoses around the yard in the spring and summer to water the bloody thing. I get it installed within the next 3 weeks. Usually when I spend more than $50 on anything I get some form of buyers remorse. With this decision I keep pinching myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. The best 3g's I could ever spend. Too bad it didn't come with an automatic lawn mower.

The hood is ok too.

Why water your lawn?? I've never watered a lawn in my life!

hermanntrude
yeah and spending 5 hours on it sounds like crazy talk to me. i'd let it die or grow a hardy grass

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by snfu73 View Post

Why water your lawn?? I've never watered a lawn in my life!

Because we have these hoity toity neighbours who point fingers and laugh at us slobs. I also like to have a decent looking lawn.

hermanntrude
if they want a nice lawn they can water it for you

Kreskin
They have their own sprinkler sustems. They just laugh at me from their windows.

hermanntrude
still.. 5 hours? i dont know why u do it

snfu73

Because we have these hoity toity neighbours who point fingers and laugh at us slobs. I also like to have a decent looking lawn.

Screw the neighbours...who cares what they think, that's what I say. I dunno...I prefer the look of a more natural lawn...if there really is such a thing....not one uniform type of grass, no water, let it do it's thing. Plus, man, it's gotta cost alot to water a lawn all the time. I dunno, it just isn't my thing.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by hermanntrude View Post

still.. 5 hours? i dont know why u do it

If I want to maintain my lawn I can't water until after 7pm every second day and it takes until between 11 and 12 to cover the darn thing shifting hoses around. Not that it's big it's just a pain in the butt corner lot layout.

hermanntrude
have u ever tried letting it die and never looking at it at all? and leaving dog turds on the front door steps of those who laugh?

Kreskin

have u ever tried letting it die and never looking at it at all? and leaving dog turds on the front door steps of those who laugh?

Not really. I actually enjoy having a nice looking lawn. I just dislike the time it takes to make it that way.

snfu73
Hire someone. Three thousand bucks would go a decent way in having someone do the work for you....no?

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by snfu73 View Post

Hire someone. Three thousand bucks would go a decent way in having someone do the work for you....no?

Even if I did, that doesn't add any value to the house. An inground system is a desirable selling feature. The cost would likely be recovered in a sale whereas hiring people to do the yardwork is a basic unrecoverable expense.

snfu73
Ahhhh...something I did not think of. Smart man.

hermanntrude

Even if I did, that doesn't add any value to the house. An inground system is a desirable selling feature. The cost would likely be recovered in a sale whereas hiring people to do the yardwork is a basic unrecoverable expense.

OMG you're so middle class. I don't know whether to bow or puke.

L Gilbert
My neighborhood's getting worse. Property taxes keep climbing because these boneheads from Hongcouver and other places keep selling their shoeboxes in the city and buying places here to build their monster houses on. Friggin arrogant as$es can't even be neighborly and smile at anyone, but they do find time to whine about the lack of Canuck Tire stores, Costcos, etc.
Anyway, I only water the parts of the lawn that get dry. Worked for me in Kloneville, too. That way, it didn't grow all that fast and stayed nice and green.
About cutting the lawn, Kreskin, you need a self-propelled lawnmower, one of those screw stakes that people leash their dogs to, and some rope. You screw the stake into the middle of lawn, tie one end of rope to the stake, wind the rope around the stake, tie the other end to the lawnmower, start the lawnmower, and let the lawnmower go ahead and unwind itself from the stake. Whgen it reaches the end move the stake to the next part and perform the procedure all over again.

Kreskin

OMG you're so middle class. I don't know whether to bow or puke.

LOL. Don't want the hired help to dirty my white picket fence.

Kreskin
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

My neighborhood's getting worse. Property taxes keep climbing because these boneheads from Hongcouver and other places keep selling their shoeboxes in the city and buying places here to build their monster houses on. Friggin arrogant as$es can't even be neighborly and smile at anyone, but they do find time to whine about the lack of Canuck Tire stores, Costcos, etc.
Anyway, I only water the parts of the lawn that get dry. Worked for me in Kloneville, too. That way, it didn't grow all that fast and stayed nice and green.
About cutting the lawn, Kreskin, you need a self-propelled lawnmower, one of those screw stakes that people leash their dogs to, and some rope. You screw the stake into the middle of lawn, tie one end of rope to the stake, wind the rope around the stake, tie the other end to the lawnmower, start the lawnmower, and let the lawnmower go ahead and unwind itself from the stake. Whgen it reaches the end move the stake to the next part and perform the procedure all over again.

This sounds interesting. Pretty soon I'll never have to leave the house. Is there a way to have a timer put on my lawnmover so it starts itself?

L Gilbert
Sure. A couple servo motors and a timing device and a bit of wiring.
Either that or rig a regular lawnmower up with a couple electric motors and a receiver for an RC airplane and sit by your living room window guiding lawnmower witht the RC control. http://www.adventurehobbycraft.com/p...e_control.html

Dalreg
Just buy a can of green spray paint and the lawn will look great!

temperance
Live in a small town outside big city very French speaking ,use to be a stop for many on the way to Montreal from Ottawa --20 years ago it had 1 strip bar actually i noticed every little town had one in eastern Ont.LOL

We live next street over from main strip ,we had tenants that were in there 20's they had no respect for anyone or anything ,its wasn't their age it was the mentality --we had numerous run in 's with them over music ,fighting ,and drugs ,got rid of them 1 month ago , the neighborhood has never been better ,the house was a mess when they left but just so happy they are gone, took about 300-400 bucks to get rid of them legally ---police did nothing(we called 4 times,1 visit to police station ) they said we want the big fish, we wont bother with your small time drug dealer, as not to alert the big guys --nice attitude ,we lived like prisoners for months ,Everytime I lost my cool on them ,our car would lose a tire or something would be ruined in the house ,we gave up and just waited ---Nice system of justice --I do believe in what comes around goes around --Ill wait

So yes "the hood is crump"--lol " the neighborhood is nice "

Did you know that "Crump!! youre safa wanna crouch down in my yard" means

I like you ,want to come over to my place --lol

oh yes a cool car is now a Whip!!

for more in (for the second ) words
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4074004.stm

missile
We've only been here for 4 months, but would like to think that our arrival was a boon to the area....my neighbours might think otherwise tho. Our last neighbourhood was rife with drug dealers and thieves and my old neighbours hated to see me leave[guess i wasn't as universally disliked as i thought!]

#juan
Seriously, a good looking lawn is great to have. It looks good, it smells good, and it adds to the selling price of your home. An underground sprinkler system is even better. I would bet that Kreskin makes up more than the cost of the sprinkler system in the improved value of his home...by a factor of at least three, maybe four.
We have one of those old city lots that is harbouring a dozen large trees. We don't have any kind of lawn in the back yard because the back yard gets no sun. The front is mostly shaded as well and the big Firs and Cedars make the ground too acid for a decent lawn. Oh, and I need to get a permit to cut down any "significant trees". Just cutting down trees on our lot won't help because the neighbors also have trees. If I want a nice lawn, I have to move. At the moment, I don't want a lawn bad enough....