Looks Like the Dreaded Spring Election is on!

Goober
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Cobalt_Kid View Post

I can't look the guy in the eye, I'm merely being practical- if he is what he says he is then he deserves all our respect and so do the generations of CFs personel who've put their lives on the line so we can have this amazing freedom we enjoy today.

Sometimes you just have to take a man/woman at their word. That is my point, until proven otherwise.

Now onto Rex from last nights national.
Do love that Rex.

CBC.ca Player

Love his comments on Harper and Iggy

petros
Is there a date yet? Is this a sure thing?

Hurry up. I need to plan to when to get the hell out of Dodge.

mt_pockets1000
Harper, what a sleeze. The Old Harry oil field in the Gulf of St. Lawrence has been a hot potato for several years now. The field supposedly contains twice the amount of oil than Hibernia and also contains approximately 5 trillion barrels of natural gas. The field straddles the boundaries between Quebec and NL, thus the reason for the delays in developing the project as they work out the ownership and compensation issues. Harper announced a deal with Quebec a couple of days ago to develop the field. It's actually a brilliant move on his part to bring hope to that region of Quebec where unemployment is very high. And it's no coincidence that the population in that region of Quebec are staunch supporters of the Bloc. Now Harper can claim he's doing something worthwhile in that region and he'll no doubt hang this over the heads of the people during the election. His campaign will go something like this: Vote for the Bloc and lose your opportunity for economic prosperity. Vote PC and reap the benefits of Old Harry.

I call this the loaded gun campaign.

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by mt_pockets1000 View Post

Harper, what a sleeze. The Old Harry oil field in the Gulf of St. Lawrence has been a hot potato for several years now. The field supposedly contains twice the amount of oil than Hibernia and also contains approximately 5 trillion barrels of natural gas. The field straddles the boundaries between Quebec and NL, thus the reason for the delays in developing the project as they work out the ownership and compensation issues. Harper announced a deal with Quebec a couple of days ago to develop the field. It's actually a brilliant move on his part to bring hope to that region of Quebec where unemployment is very high. And it's no coincidence that the population in that region of Quebec are staunch supporters of the Bloc. Now Harper can claim he's doing something worthwhile in that region and he'll no doubt hang this over the heads of the people during the election. His campaign will go something like this: Vote for the Bloc and lose your opportunity for economic prosperity. Vote PC and reap the benefits of Old Harry.

I call this the loaded gun campaign.

If I recall the boundaries were set decades ago - So off it will go to the SCOC - Anyone could see that coming.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by mt_pockets1000 View Post

also contains approximately 5 trillion barrels of natural gas.

Pssst NG is measured in cubic meters.

earth_as_one
The Harper government has fallen.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Simple sentences are not beneath me at all. I prefer simplicity over the convoluted way you have of making a statement - then do not always as they say - show me the money - the proof - the stats. If you find it offensive that posters ask for stats or proof, i suggest that you get used to it.

I will try to be more clear in my expression in future, possibly even post some links, point taken for consideration.

Quote:

As to who does not pay taxes - yes I agree - but every economist knows that when a tax rate hits a certain percentage - what should be a revenue increase in fact turns into a loss of revenue.

Seems that point was overlooked in your education.

Not missed at all - I am not goig to advocate a 90% tax on business in this economy but dropping it to 15% is no good either, maybe 50-60%. I will go for 70%+ on the wealthy and ask to close all the loopholes..make it fair and equitable.

Quote:

Blind faith - No I do not subscribe to that, been around to long - Though I can see you do suffer from that illness.

I don't have blind faith or really any faith at all in our government or the US governmnet as our politicians are all controlled by banks, big business and the rich. I question everything they say and do.

Quote:

As to creative writing and a higher education - Did not go, no degrees etc. - Things happened earlier in my life than yours, sorry to say,but thats life eh. Make the best of what you have.

Sorry to hear you didn't get the chance. I left high school at 16 and was in my early 30's when I went back to get a degree, my grandmother got hers at 72 which is what inspired me to do it...it's never too late.

pegger
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Come on down, single term Conservative majority!!!!!!

I can't believe I agree with Colpy. If the Conservatives do win a majority - it will be for one term. 100% agree.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_one View Post

The Harper government has fallen.

Not being totally familiar with this 'day of mild annoyance', what we should be doing during this time of political turmoil, do we protest for one side one day andf the other side the next day so we can show the world how balanced and fair our political process is.

We could exile Quebec (or any Province, even PEI) and then give them exclusive rights to rule Libya for the next 40 years or so, everybody at NATO could then stop looking at the floor and shuffling their feet while grumbling under their collective breath.

Just make sure all our voting machines are using Siemens Controllers.

Shouldn't all political parties be disbanded if the Voters even come up with a minority vote. A coalition just means you have two losers running the country.

BTW shouldn't somebody be getting fired?

Topic 1 who got us involved in another war without a vote by the people? I would be more impressed with us if that had been the straw that broke the Gov.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
I'm just kind of curious as to how exactly the G.G. disolves parliament. Maybe spraying the parliament buildings with a fire hose for a few hours?

Quote: Originally Posted by pegger View Post

I can't believe I agree with Colpy. If the Conservatives do win a majority - it will be for one term. 100% agree.

Colpy could very well be right. A lot of people are in high dudgeon over an unnecessary $300 million bill being hoisted on us.

YukonJack
Conservative
It is now 5:36 PM Central time.

I just heard FOX NEWS channel reporting that Canada is facing a federal election.

It was reported with no spin. It was reported with no additional comment, except that Harper is hoping for a majority government.

Retired_Can_Soldier
This day will go down in Canadian Political History as the biggest Liberal Blunder.

Quote:

According to Ipsos Reid: On Eve of Confidence Votes, Half (50%) of Canadians Say to Opposition Parties: Pass Budget, Avoid Election

Poll Numbers:
Conservatives (43%) Spike into Majority Zone as Grits (24%) Tumble and Trail by Almost 20 Points with Finger on Election Trigger, Pending Election is Conservatives to Lose

or if the conservatives bring in a minority, the Liberals will make another attempt at coalition. Ignatieff sparred with reporters on this very subject failing to clear the air completely by answering a pointed question about his intentions should a conservative minority return to parliament.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
How about a nice 4 party coalition that has 100% of the vote and works for the interest of the people as a whole.

No, we will be stuck with a bunch of cliques representing their little special interest groups and ignoring the average person.

Avro
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

This day will go down in Canadian Political History as the biggest Liberal Blunder.

Perhaps, or as a time when the opposition took a stand in the face of an historic event that found the government in contmpt of parliment....which is also a first in parlimentary history world wide.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I'm just kind of curious as to how exactly the G.G. disolves parliament. Maybe spraying the parliament buildings with a fire hose for a few hours?

Colpy could very well be right. A lot of people are in high dudgeon over an unnecessary $300 million bill being hoisted on us.

Democracy isn't free.

Durry
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

when the opposition took a stand
ee.

Took a stand ???? You mean their hard on for power was beginnig to wane, so they decided to go for it before they became totally soft !!!

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNick View Post

How about a nice 4 party coalition that has 100% of the vote and works for the interest of the people as a whole.

No, we will be stuck with a bunch of cliques representing their little special interest groups and ignoring the average person.

I believe they call that Communisn.

By the way, it doesn't work. You end up with four guys all arguing over who gets to be Mr. Black and nobody wants to back down. Nope, Canadians pick and you're Mr. Pink.

I think that there is a very real chance that we will return to a majority government.

Which is, in my opinion, a good thing. Canadians are tired of uncertainty and ready to have majority governments with real opposition. I actually hope the Liberals come to their senses and get their crap together after they get their nose bloodied.

This minority crap is nothing but that. Crap.

Perhaps, or as a time when the opposition took a stand in the face of an historic event that found the government in contmpt of parliment....which is also a first in parlimentary history world wide.

They have actually muddied the waters regarding the contempt because of their ridiculous gamble. Had they waited, they might have gained the ground they desperately need.
Last edited by Retired_Can_Soldier; Mar 25th, 2011 at 06:22 PM..

Avro
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Durry View Post

Took a stand ???? You mean their hard on for power was beginnig to wane, so they decided to go for it before they became totally soft !!!

Umm, no, that's not what I said....try reading it again.

They have actually muddied the waters regarding the contempt because of their ridiculous gamble. Had they waited, they might have gained the ground they desperately need.

How could they come back to the issue after giving the government a vote of confidence?

Had to be done now.....given the polls lately it's kind a ballsy move.

Unforgiven

Nonsense! We need this election just to see how Ignateiff runs. There are some serious questions that need to be addressed throughout this campaign such as the Fighter jets, and super max prisons, The secrecy the Neocons have used against Parliament and all those lies and scandals that have been plaguing the Harper government all these years.

Quote:

or if the conservatives bring in a minority, the Liberals will make another attempt at coalition. Ignatieff sparred with reporters on this very subject failing to clear the air completely by answering a pointed question about his intentions should a conservative minority return to parliament.

I wonder what the Conservatives will do if the Liberals manage a minority? I suppose there is the NDP and the Bloc they could form some sort of a coalition government and keep the Liberals from forming a government. heh heh heh

Retired_Can_Soldier

Umm, no, that's not what I said....try reading it again.

How could they come back to the issue after giving the government a vote of confidence?

Had to be done now.....given the polls lately it's kind a ballsy move.

Foolish move is more like it.

They could have called in sick for the vote, as they have in the past, and let it pass by a slim margin. That would have given them time to capitalize on the Contempt charges and in and out allegations. Now, they look opportunistic and arrogant speaking for Canadians who most assuredly did not want an election. We all understand that there are some people who dislike Harper on an almost visceral level, but that vote is already secure. They presume to speak for the Canadians who stated they don't want this and as a result there may be a backlash for such arrogance.

At any rate it is going to be an interesting election.

Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

Nonsense! We need this election just to see how Ignateiff runs. There are some serious questions that need to be addressed throughout this campaign such as the Fighter jets, and super max prisons, The secrecy the Neocons have used against Parliament and all those lies and scandals that have been plaguing the Harper government all these years.

What's nonsense is this whole secret agenda hoopla.

Good grief. If the Liberals would learn to actually fight on the issues, they might stand a chance.

See how Ignatieff runs? Now there's some Liberal arrogance. We needed to kill a budget that had some very good things in it like retraining Vets, the Citizens Arrest bill, the end of the faint hope clause so we could see how Ignatieff performs?

Unf, you should've just asked me and we could have saved millions. HE SUCKS!

Get a new leader dude!

Goober
Free Thinker

They could have called in sick for the vote, as they have in the past, and let it pass by a slim margin. That would have given them time to capitalize on the Contempt charges and in and out allegations. Now, they look opportunistic and arrogant speaking for Canadians who most assuredly did not want an election. We all understand that there are some people who dislike Harper on an almost visceral level, but that vote is already secure. They presume to speak for the Canadians who stated they don't want this and as a result there may be a backlash for such arrogance.

At any rate it is going to be an interesting election.

And even today od all days whne he could be clear he was not - Iggy is ducking the coalition questions - Canadians have a right to know where he stands - But he is like a wisp in the wind - Which way she blowing Chief of Staff - OK then that is the path to enlightenment, under my benign leadership.

PS - I cannot stand harper - and do not want to see him with a majority. His spending is out of control - his future spending programs will come at the expense of the poor - the social safety net will be a target for sure. We have an aging population that will cause massive expenses in health care alone.
He expanded Public Spending at 6 % average per year - increased the civil service - where the fuk does he think the money will come from.

Retired_Can_Soldier

And even today od all days whne he could be clear he was not - Iggy is ducking the coalition questions - Canadians have a right to know where he stands - But he is like a wisp in the wind - Which way she blowing Chief of Staff - OK then that is the path to enlightenment, under my benign leadership.

PS - I cannot stand harper - and do not want to see him with a majority. His spending is out of control - his future spending programs will come at the expense of the poor - the social safety net will be a target for sure. We have an aging population that will cause massive expenses in health care alone.
He expanded Public Spending at 6 % average per year - increased the civil service - where the fuk does he think the money will come from.

The fear-mongering surrounding Harper is laughable. By the way, some of that spending is why our economy has leveled out.

Avro
No Party Affiliation

You mean take the cowards way out?

They would look opportunistic if they had the lead in the polls, they have been bad for weeks leading up to this.

Do it now before the story dies in the Canadian way all stories do....apathy.

An election is due anyways, using money as an excuse not have an election is in the face of democracy.

Goober
Free Thinker

The fear-mongering surrounding Harper is laughable. By the way, some of that spending is why our economy has leveled out.

look to the budget number

OK - We have the cost for more prisons - Cost really unknown
The new fighter.
The new ships.

That is only 3 -

My post is not fear mongering - Its all in the numbers. When conservative papers roll those numbers out - that is not fear mongering - It is the reality of what Canada is facing over the next 10 - 20 years or so.

Lastly - Does the GG have the authority to refuse Harper and offer the Offical Opposition a chance to form a Govt - i think he does - Now that would be interesting i would say.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1

You mean take the cowards way out?

They would look opportunistic if they had the lead in the polls, they have been bad for weeks leading up to this.

Do it now before the story dies in the Canadian way all stories do....apathy.

An election is due anyways, using money as an excuse not have an election is in the face of democracy.

That's hillarious Avro, I hope you realize how you've opened yourself up to ridicule with such a statement. Any idiot can run head long toward their demise, coward or not, they're still an idiot if they did not choose to fight and win another day rather than run against impossible odds on a hope and a prayer.

Hey man, I already know what the outcome is going to be. Unless the coalition is working behind the scenes this is a ridiculous waste of time and money.

look to the budget number

OK - We have the cost for more prisons - Cost really unknown

Prisons are overcrowded and several dangerous offenders including child molesters are put back out into society simply because we can not house them.

I know Liberals like keeping Child Molesters and Murders right? They just don't like paying for it.

Quote:

The new fighter.

The new ships.

Both of these fall under defense. Our armed forces is only now beginning to crawl out of the the neglect and abuse from our previous Liberal government. The F 18 is decades old. I know Liberals hate spending money on defense when it is so much better spent on fake advertising in Quebec.

Quote:

My post is not fear mongering - Its all in the numbers. When conservative papers roll those numbers out - that is not fear mongering - It is the reality of what Canada is facing over the next 10 - 20 years or so.

The deficit we have incurred is also thanks to opposition party's approving such spending. I don't remember hearing Jack whining about the auto bail out. I cant remember if Celine or Iggy was heading the Libs then.

Quote:

Lastly - Does the GG have the authority to refuse Harper and offer the Offical Opposition a chance to form a Govt - i think he does - Now that would be interesting i would say.

It's wishful thinking, but plausible, but I got a feeling that it won't happen.

At the end of the day it will be the voter who makes the call and if the chips fall as I think they will, there will not be a lot of dry eyes in this house. (err forum)

Its going to be an interesting election, lots of back and forth here there and everywhere, and though I didn't want an election I will enjoy the debate.

Cheers.
M

FiveParadox
Liberal
+1

Of course. The authority rests with His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston C.C. , C.M.M. , C.O.M. , C.D. , F.R.S.C. , the Governor General of Canada , to dissolve -- or not dissolve -- the 40th Parliament of Canada . It's almost a certainty, though, that His Excellency will not refuse the prime minister's advice. It we had held an election less than six months ago, then the vice-regal discretion to invite someone else to form a Government might be a stronger thing.

JLM
No Party Affiliation

That's hillarious Avro, I hope you realize how you've opened yourself up to ridicule with such a statement. Any idiot can run head long toward their demise,M

He's always a "riot"- many the night my wife and I have giggled outselves to sleep reflecting on Avro's musings.

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker

Hey man, I already know what the outcome is going to be. Unless the coalition is working behind the scenes this is a ridiculous waste of time and money.

Well if you already know we should just leave it to you and not bother ever having an election, I bow to your psycic ability.

Quote:

Prisons are overcrowded and several dangerous offenders including child molesters are put back out into society simply because we can not house them.

Very true but we do't need to spend $10 billion. Use what we have more wisely and stop paying for prisoners to have luxuries and we don't need to add much at all

Quote:

Both of these fall under defense. Our armed forces is only now beginning to crawl out of the the neglect and abuse from our previous Liberal government. The F 18 is decades old. I know Liberals hate spending money on defense when it is so much better spent on fake advertising in Quebec.

Spending money on Defense is one thing, spending it on Offense is something entirely different. Take all the wasted money from invading foreign countries for our corporate American rulers and you get more new fighters than Harper want to buy now.

Quote:

The deficit we have incurred is also thanks to opposition party's approving such spending. I don't remember hearing Jack whining about the auto bail out. I cant remember if Celine or Iggy was heading the Libs then.

The auto bail-out was not such a bad idea as it was supposed to save thousands of jobs, shame it didn't work out that way once they got the money. The bank bail-out o the other hand simply made a bunch of millionaires into multi-millionaires, not a good trade for our tax dollars there.

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by FiveParadox View Post

Of course. The authority rests with His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston C.C. , C.M.M. , C.O.M. , C.D. , F.R.S.C. , the Governor General of Canada , to dissolve -- or not dissolve -- the 40th Parliament of Canada . It's almost a certainty, though, that His Excellency will not refuse the prime minister's advice. It we had held an election less than six months ago, then the vice-regal discretion to invite someone else to form a Government might be a stronger thing.

if Ii recall was it Trudeau that waited 18 Months when he was in a minority?? Why

Avro
No Party Affiliation

That's hillarious Avro, I hope you realize how you've opened yourself up to ridicule with such a statement. Any idiot can run head long toward their demise, coward or not, they're still an idiot if they did not choose to fight and win another day rather than run against impossible odds on a hope and a prayer.

Is it?

Have I?

I don't see it that way at all.

I know you and the other cons like to blow off the government being in contempt but not me. It is the first time in histroy of any parlimentary democracy by a seasoned speaker.

This government does not deserve a vote of confidence and does not need the opposition to scamper away to fight on a day when the story has been buried. You presume the outcome so let's just consult you when or when not to have an election.

You said earlier that you supported stimulous spending well consider this another 300 million dollar boast to the econmoy for democracy.

Is this a political mistake by the opposition, perhaps, but I don't like politics.

It's the right thing to do and the right time.

It's in the hands of the people now, where it should be.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

He's always a "riot"- many the night my wife and I have giggled outselves to sleep reflecting on Avro's musings.

Funny, I've shown the pic of you and saggy tits and gotten a few laughs as well.

Glad we could help each other out.

FiveParadox
Liberal

if Ii recall was it Trudeau that waited 18 Months when he was in a minority?? Why

Yes, that's right. The prime minister of the day can request an election at any time; since he had already governed for eighteen months, it would have been unreasonable for the Governor General to have rejected the request. This isn't always the case, though; when Mackenzie King asked for Parliament to be dissolved, the Governor General refused, because there was a question of confidence before the House, and invited someone else to form a Government. It all depends on the circumstances of the day.