They return to 19th century?

jellyfish16
Southkorea conducted an artillery drill at their yeonpyeong island monday. Other countries except for China & Russia are
generally supporting Southkorea. If the war happens, there will be considerable damages to Southkorea and other surrounding
contries. but Northkorea's provocations are gradually more serious than before and they have intended to try attacks to Southkorea more frequently. So, I think it is quite funny that we blame for Southkorea only. In these days, As watching tv I seem like to see the past cold war system. China and the past Soviet union-Russia have just been covering up Northkorea. the increasing tension on the Korea peninsula will affect to the Northeast asia unfavorably.but we need to restrict Northkorea's dangerous behaviors first not just criticizing Southkorea's determinations only.

TenPenny
I could be wrong, but I seem to have heard that North Korea decided not to do anything last night. So, in response, the South announced that they'll do MORE live firing.

To me, that sounds like deliberate provocation on the part of the South.

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I could be wrong, but I seem to have heard that North Korea decided not to do anything last night. So, in response, the South announced that they'll do MORE live firing.

To me, that sounds like deliberate provocation on the part of the South.

How are doing military exercises provocation?

TenPenny
+1
#4  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

How are doing military exercises provocation?

How was having Russian missiles stationed in Cuba provocation to the US?

The Old Medic
Conservative
South Korea has the absolute right to train its soldiers. The Soviet Union deliberately placed Soviet Controlled Nuclear Missiles in Cuba, in order to threaten the USA. They got caught doing this, and they backed down, rather than take the chance on a war that would have spread throughout the world (and one that would have totally destroyed the entire Soviet Bloc).

If you really can't see the difference between what South Korea is doing, and what the Soviet Union did back in 1962, you are essentially clueless about the world.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old Medic View Post

South Korea has the absolute right to train its soldiers. The Soviet Union deliberately placed Soviet Controlled Nuclear Missiles in Cuba, in order to threaten the USA. They got caught doing this, and they backed down, rather than take the chance on a war that would have spread throughout the world (and one that would have totally destroyed the entire Soviet Bloc).

If you really can't see the difference between what South Korea is doing, and what the Soviet Union did back in 1962, you are essentially clueless about the world.

I'm not sure that you should be proud of being old, I think your brain has passed its 'best before' date.

If you bothered to look at a map of the Korean Peninsula, you would see that for the South to do live firing training in this specific location is only to intimidate the North, and to state that now they've done it once with no retaliation, they'll do it again, is simply to provoke a response. It's something that a 6 year old does. Sure, the South is within its rights. But it's not a very smart thing to do.

If either the North or the South were responsible nations, they wouldn't do this. But they are playing a game which will likely end badly for many people.

I'm not claiming that the North is good, or innocent, or anything of the sort. Simply that, in life, deliberately provoking an unstable mental case is not always a good idea. And that's what the South is doing, for some unfathomable reason. Nobody should be surprised when the whole thing blows up into a horrible mess. I have a suspicion that this is, in fact, the whole point of the matter.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1

How was having Russian missiles stationed in Cuba provocation to the US?

That is, by far the most moronic comparison I have ever heard in my life.

Quite pointless to go any further.

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
Funny how we view the world through our own lens of life. Yes South Korea, has the
right to do military exercises and it is not a provocation at all. It is a message that the
Koreans will not be intimidated by their norther neighbours. The North did nothing
and that is important. I suggest that China told them to do nothing while China objected.
Diplomacy is working.
On the Cuban Missile Crisis, actually the Russians put missiles in Cuba to offset America
who had in fact put such missiles in Pakistan to threaten the Soviet Union. In the end the
Americans withdrew their offensive weapons in Pakistan and the Russians left Cuba
diplomacy worked in that case too, behind the scene but it did work, only later did the world
learn there was an offsetting deal.

TenPenny

That is, by far the most moronic comparison I have ever heard in my life.

Quite pointless to go any further.

I can see why you're retired, then.

Medication will give you about 5 more years before it seriously kicks in.

Retired_Can_Soldier

I can see why you're retired, then.

Medication will give you about 5 more years before it seriously kicks in.

You are either extremely naive or completely retarded. Better to suck up to a despot who is systematically starving his Nation to death and blame the Country who was bombarded. Guys like you are a dime a dozen, all mouth and no brains.

Good God, you crack me up man.

TenPenny
+1 / -1

You are either extremely naive or completely retarded. Better to suck up to a despot who is systematically starving his Nation to death and blame the Country who was bombarded. Guys like you are a dime a dozen, all mouth and no brains.

Good God, you crack me up man.

If you figure that I'm suggesting sucking up to NKorea, then I suggest your reading comprehension is even worse than it would at first appear.

Guys like you are not worth listening to, old worn out has beens that never were.

darkbeaver
Republican
I don't usually takes sides but in this case I am compelled by good manners to apologize to our new friend jellyfish 17 minus one (my six key is forked) for the horrific bad manners of some member most notably Retarded Can Sailor who seems to have an open sore about our dear dear sweet Ten Penny.

Retired_Can_Soldier

If you figure that I'm suggesting sucking up to NKorea, then I suggest your reading comprehension is even worse than it would at first appear.

Guys like you are not worth listening to, old worn out has beens that never were.

Hang on I need to collect myself after that verbal beating you just laid on me.

Okay all better. Calling me old is an awesome way to make your point.

Your way of thinking is one that they should not antagonize the enemy by doing defense exercises with their Nato partners. Up until recently the Leader in North Korea has illustrated that he is like a demented child who thinks he can accomplish what he wants through acting out. Rewarding behavior by bending to it only brings about more behavior.

Back in the 70's there was a zero tolerance for negotiating with terrorists. This did not completely stop terrorism, but the acts of terror were not as frequent as they are now. When you legitimize the claims of a group or a despot like Kim Jung by bending to their demands the end result will be escalated behavior.

The only reason N Korea has stood down is because big brother China has had a heart to heart with them. It has nothing to do with provocation. If you think it is man you are out of touch.

The Cuban Missile Crisis is hardly comparable and to be quite clear President Kennedy stood his ground while the diplomats worked things out. The Soviet Union was not doing Warsaw Exercises, they were trying put missiles in a location that would have made a preemptive strike inevitable.

Exercises by both Nato and the Warsaw Pact yielded no major conflicts for two reasons. Each was run by a sane leader. Each understood the ramifications of their actions.

It amazes me that anyone could try and draw a comparison.

Old Has Been, that's funny.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Anybody who initiates or practices war, is insane. There is no "we're saner than youoooo! Nanananana!" War is a game played out by people who should be locked up in an asylum. I tend to agree with the person who coined the phrase, "Earth is the asylum of the Universe." or at least a penal colony.

TenPenny
+1

Hang on I need to collect myself after that verbally beating you just laid on me.

Okay all better. Calling me old is an awesome way to make your point.

My dear sir, you have 'retired' as part of your screen name. Do not be surprised if others make 'old' or 'has been' jokes, you are setting the stage for it with your handle.

The majority of your thread shows a strange lack of understanding of what you are writing. Intimidating the US by putting missiles in an ally's (ie, Cuba's) sovereign territory, as the USSR did, is somehow vastly different from intimidating NKorea by performing live firing exercises with NATO allies in the one part of your sovereign territory that is extremely close to NKorea?

You honestly think that location was chosen randomly, completely innocently? And, once NKorea fired back, to continue to insist on doing so is somehow NOT acting provocatively?

SKorea certainly has every right to do so, as I have said, but nobody, absolutely nobody, should be surprised if this turns into a **** storm of large proportions, because when you keep annoying a mentally unstable lunatic, sooner or later the lunatic will react.

It is generally suggested that 'a word to the wise is sufficient', but SKorea and its allies seem intent on annoying NKorea until something happens. I think it's an unwise course of action, because it seems quite obvious what will happen, but I suppose if people are hoping for war to resume on the Korean peninsula, I can understand the insistence that SKorea should continue.

But, you know, I'll defer to your incredible understanding and perceptive knowledge of world affairs.

Retired_Can_Soldier

My dear sir, you have 'retired' as part of your screen name. Do not be surprised if others make 'old' or 'has been' jokes, you are setting the stage for it with your handle.

The majority of your thread shows a strange lack of understanding of what you are writing. Intimidating the US by putting missiles in an ally's (ie, Cuba's) sovereign territory, as the USSR did, is somehow vastly different from intimidating NKorea by performing live firing exercises with NATO allies in the one part of your sovereign territory that is extremely close to NKorea?

You honestly think that location was chosen randomly, completely innocently? And, once NKorea fired back, to continue to insist on doing so is somehow NOT acting provocatively?

SKorea certainly has every right to do so, as I have said, but nobody, absolutely nobody, should be surprised if this turns into a **** storm of large proportions, because when you keep annoying a mentally unstable lunatic, sooner or later the lunatic will react.

It is generally suggested that 'a word to the wise is sufficient', but SKorea and its allies seem intent on annoying NKorea until something happens. I think it's an unwise course of action, because it seems quite obvious what will happen, but I suppose if people are hoping for war to resume on the Korean peninsula, I can understand the insistence that SKorea should continue.

But, you know, I'll defer to your incredible understanding and perceptive knowledge of world affairs.

No sweat on the "old joke" TenPenny, I actually thought it quite funny.

Those who are afraid of provoking an enemy are often tasked with facing them sooner or later. The leader of North Korea is old hat at this sort of thing and even if the South and Nato were to stand down it would only further encourage such behavior. History is full of leaders and Nations who did not want to provoke tyrants. As a result many found out the hard way that in the end that once you allow them to dictate your actions it never ends there.

South Korea and Nato should not stand down just because this nutcase says so.

CUBert
The South Korean puppet regime begs to be nuked off the earth. They are fortunate to have powerful allies and help from China and Russia. NK would have nuked them to oblivion long ago otherwise.
SK are BLATANTLY provoking the DPRK.
You may disagree with how the government of the DPRK runs its country and treats its citizens, but the moronic behaviour from the South equally detestable..
Last edited by CUBert; Dec 22nd, 2010 at 03:16 PM..

petros
The Korean war never end.

eh1eh
19th century. Nonsense. I thought war was about bombing them back to the stone age. Seems commensurate with the whole idea of killing to further a political ideal.