Grey Cup Champions - Montreal Alouettes

Mowich
In the end, we did it to ourselves! But for a stupid, juvenile penalty we would have had the game. It is not the way I would have chosen to lose the game, but it is a fact.

I congratulate Montreal on their win, they are true Grey Cup Champions.

I do not take anything away from the great play of our Riders. They hung in there and gave Montreal their money's worth. I am proud of you guys, every single one of you. Keep your heads up.

Cliffy
I would not want to be in Montreal at this time. Tomorrow morning, St Catherine Street will be wall to wall barf.

Kreskin
It will be a hard one to forget for the Riders. I was pulling for them then started pulling for Montreal to make it a game. It turned into quite a game.

Hazmart
I am so gutted. We had it, for 2 seconds we had it!
I can not believe we gave it up for a 13th man!! Montreal is probably laughing, the 13th man our worst nightmare tonight!

Avro
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahha hahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhahaha hahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhaha!

Good game.

aman12
Sask is known as next year country. Go Riders!

talloola
Congrats to Montreal.
I've never seen a game end quite like that one.
I wonder who exactly was at fault for that blunder.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

I would not want to be in Montreal at this time. Tomorrow morning, St Catherine Street will be wall to wall barf.

There might be more than a few in Saskatchewan who feel like up-chucking too. I personally feel as if I had been kicked in the stomach.

Still, I am really happy for the vets on the Montreal team, Calvillo, Cahoon, Chu, et al, they finally have their Grey Cup win and can now retire, if they chose, knowing they won the Cup.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

It will be a hard one to forget for the Riders. I was pulling for them then started pulling for Montreal to make it a game. It turned into quite a game.

During the lead-up to the game, TSN, was showing re-caps of each team's year and how they prepared for the Cup. After watching the Montreal portion, I phoned my sister in Regina and told her that we should just go out on the field, shake hands and give Montreal the Cup so they could finally have a Grey Cup win.

Well, we handed them the Cup but what an inglorious way to do so.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by Hazmart View Post

I am so gutted. We had it, for 2 seconds we had it!
I can not believe we gave it up for a 13th man!! Montreal is probably laughing, the 13th man our worst nightmare tonight!

I doubt that Montreal is laughing too hard at the Riders, Hazmart. Mark Trestman and the Montreal team are a class act and they know better than us fans what a loss like this means to a team. They will celebrate the win knowing that without that last stupid, amateur penalty, they would have lost, again.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by aman12 View Post

Sask is known as next year country. Go Riders!

2010 is the 100th anniversary of the Roughriders so you can be sure they will get past this and give us another year of outstanding football.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

Congrats to Montreal.
I've never seen a game end quite like that one.
I wonder who exactly was at fault for that blunder.

One of the Rider coaches has taken responsibility for the 13th man, talloola, not that it makes any difference to the rest of the team or us fans. We gave them the game.

bobnoorduyn

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

One of the Rider coaches has taken responsibility for the 13th man, talloola, not that it makes any difference to the rest of the team or us fans. We gave them the game.

Regardless of who was at fault, it was the kind of mistake that should not have happened, especially with the importance of the game in question. I am certain that he will be having a few sleepless nights for a while, thinking "What if...".

TenPenny
I turned the game on for the second half, while I washed the dishes....I started hoping for Montreal, simply to make it a game, as others have said, and when it got down to the last couple of minutes, I figured, well, good effort, but Sask will hold on...when that penalty happened, I couldn't believe it. A horrendous mistake that should never have happened...unbelievable.

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

I turned the game on for the second half, while I washed the dishes....I started hoping for Montreal, simply to make it a game, as others have said, and when it got down to the last couple of minutes, I figured, well, good effort, but Sask will hold on...when that penalty happened, I couldn't believe it. A horrendous mistake that should never have happened...unbelievable.

It's like Yogi Berra said..."It ain't over until it's over."

(I think that is the quote.)

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshiv View Post

It's like Yogi Berra said..."It ain't over until it's over."

(I think that is the quote.)

At my daughter's hockey game Friday night, the other team tied it up with 26 seconds left. Man, I hate that.

shadowshiv

At my daughter's hockey game Friday night, the other team tied it up with 26 seconds left. Man, I hate that.

I hate it when the opposing team scores with less than 5 seconds left on the PP due to a stupid penalty being taken!

I hope your daughter's team was still able to claim victory in that game.

bobnoorduyn
I hope this works, this cartoon appeared in the Calgary Sun on Sunday morning, how prophetic:

Moderator's Edit: Fixed Picture.

Here you go, Bob.

Mowich

Regardless of who was at fault, it was the kind of mistake that should not have happened, especially with the importance of the game in question. I am certain that he will be having a few sleepless nights for a while, thinking "What if...".

He won't be the only one 'having a sleepless night', shadowshiv, mine wasn't any great shakes either. Still, the team gave us a great regular and play-off season and I for one will never take that away from them, not for one stupid penalty.

The Riders will rise again. 2010, here we come.

Risus

The entire Rider team should be ashamed and embarassed by that blunder.

Congrats Alouettes!

Mowich

It wasn't the game I thought it would be, for sure. Had thought Montreal would come steaming out of the gate and give us a game from the get-go. I kept hoping Montreal would get their poop together and start taking us on. Well, we all know my hopes came true. It was a grand game and will be talked about for years to come. My Riders will again hold their heads high and us fans will be cheering for them loudly in 2010.

shadowshiv

He won't be the only one 'having a sleepless night', shadowshiv, mine wasn't any great shakes either. Still, the team gave us a great regular and play-off season and I for one will never take that away from them, not for one stupid penalty.

The Riders will rise again. 2010, here we come.

At least it wasn't a huge blowout, and the game looked to be quite entertaining.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

The entire Rider team should be ashamed and embarassed by that blunder.

Congrats Alouettes!

You know what, Risus, were I an Alouettes fan I wouldn't be crowing too loudly for as any one could plainly see if it weren't for the Riders blunder, Montreal would be the ones crying in their beer today. We gave them the game.

AnnaG
We went to the pub for a pint and a game of cards, snooker, etc. Pub wasn't packed but it was raucous enough to make us cancel the cards.
What an odd game. Mildly entertaining, but anyway, WTG, Montreal guys (and those who won bets), and better luck next time, Saskatchewan green guys.

Mowich

At least it wasn't a huge blowout, and the game looked to be quite entertaining.

It was a grand game, shadowshiv. We were the underdogs. A QB with only 22 starts in the regular season, a young CANADIAN receiving core and two of our best players side-lined for the season up against seasoned vets who had a 15 - 3 win to loss record.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders provided CFL fans everywhere with some of the very best football in the league this season.

As a die-hard Rider's fan, I am PROUD of my team and PROUD of Ken Miller for all the work he did to get us to the Cup.

Risus

You know what, Risus, were I an Alouettes fan I wouldn't be crowing too loudly for as any one could plainly see if it weren't for the Riders blunder, Montreal would be the ones crying in their beer today. We gave them the game.

So if the Riders were stupid enough to give the game to the Alouettes, why can't the Alouettes crow? And you must admit, it was a great Montreal comeback.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

We went to the pub for a pint and a game of cards, snooker, etc. Pub wasn't packed but it was raucous enough to make us cancel the cards.
What an odd game. Mildly entertaining, but anyway, WTG, Montreal guys (and those who won bets), and better luck next time, Saskatchewan green guys.

Thanks, Anna.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

So if the Riders were stupid enough to give the game to the Alouettes, why can't the Alouettes crow? And you must admit, it was a great Montreal comeback.

I'll tell you why, Risus, because the Alouettes are a fine example of a professional football team. All year they played good, clean football. They didn't 'crow' over their record, they just kept playing sound football. In their hearts, they know why they have the Cup in their hands today and will leave most of the 'crowing' up to their fans.

Risus

I'll tell you why, Risus, because the Alouettes are a fine example of a professional football team. All year they played good, clean football. They didn't 'crow' over their record, they just kept playing sound football. In their hearts, they know why they have the Cup in their hands today and will leave most of the 'crowing' up to their fans.

It was actually the fans I was referring to since it was the fans you originally commented on about 'crowing':

"You know what, Risus, were I an Alouettes fan I wouldn't be crowing too loudly for as any one could plainly see if it weren't for the Riders blunder, Montreal would be the ones crying in their beer today. We gave them the game. "