Canadian socialism vs. European socialism.


Machjo
#1
Why is it that we witness so much difference between socialist parties in Canada and Europe?

To take some esamples:

Sweden:

Though Sweden is generally considered the most socialist country in Europe, it's had a universal school voucher programme in place since the 90s and even the Social Democratic Party (SDP) (Sweden's mainstream socialist party) doesn't present much opposition to it! it also allows for much more private involvement in health care than Canada does.

In Canada, meanwhile, the NDP would consider the idea of school vouchers or a two-tier health care system sacriligious! How is it that Canada's NDP is further to the left than even Sweden's SDP?!

Could this be a reason the NDp has never formed a federal government yet? Because it's just too far to the left for the majority of the population?
 
In Between Man
Free Thinker
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post


Could this be a reason the NDp has never formed a federal government yet? Because it's just too far to the left for the majority of the population?

Could be. Could also be because they're a BUNCH OF WHACK JOBS, whose views on hot topic issues are out of touch with reasonable people.

Could also be because they just never seem to put forth a really viable vision.
 
Patg
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Machjo View Post

Why is it that we witness so much difference between socialist parties in Canada and Europe?

To take some esamples:

Sweden:

Though Sweden is generally considered the most socialist country in Europe, it's had a universal school voucher programme in place since the 90s and even the Social Democratic Party (SDP) (Sweden's mainstream socialist party) doesn't present much opposition to it! it also allows for much more private involvement in health care than Canada does.

In Canada, meanwhile, the NDP would consider the idea of school vouchers or a two-tier health care system sacriligious! How is it that Canada's NDP is further to the left than even Sweden's SDP?!

Could this be a reason the NDp has never formed a federal government yet? Because it's just too far to the left for the majority of the population?

You're not a true believer... every one has an equal right to the same bad education system, same bad health system and the same bad housing. Come the revolution, brothers!
 
Tecumsehsbones
#4
Canadian socialism comes with real maple syrup.
 
SLM
No Party Affiliation
#5
And poutine!

Americans, always forgetting about the damn poutine.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Patg View Post

You're not a true believer... every one has an equal right to the same bad education system, same bad health system and the same bad housing. Come the revolution, brothers!

Fortunately with our system those of us that are industrious and count our pennies are entitled to move upscale at our own expense.
 
Patg
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

And poutine!

Americans, always forgetting about the damn poutine.

You think poutine comes for free?
 
Corduroy
+1
#8  Top Rated Post
Machjo has been waiting 5 years for a serious answer to his question and all he's getting is poutine and maple syrup jokes.


Whereas everyone knows REAL Canadian socialism involves equal distribution of Timbits but in Sweden everyone gets five meatballs on a lack table.
 
Sal
No Party Affiliation
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

Machjo has been waiting 5 years for a serious answer to his question and all he's getting is poutine and maple syrup jokes.


Whereas everyone knows REAL Canadian socialism involves equal distribution of Timbits but in Sweden everyone gets five meatballs on a lack table.

don 't forget the bacon, doesn't seem right to forget the bacon

and speaking of Machjo?????
 
gopher
No Party Affiliation
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Patg View Post

You think poutine comes for free?




Everyone should have a God given right to FREE poutine!




.
 
Machjo
#11
Aw... People were thinking of me just yesterday.

What a coincidence.

Anyway, maybe you're right. The puritan socialism we have in Canada is far better than the watetered-down social corporatism they have in Europe. Those Euro-socialists sold themselves out to the people. How terrible!

Long live the revolution!
 

Similar Threads

58
Chavez: Here Comes Socialism
by I think not | Aug 9th, 2019
285
The benefits of socialism.
by Walter | Sep 18th, 2018
100
What's wrong with Socialism ?
by china | Nov 24th, 2008
419
Socialism Is the Only Way
by darkbeaver | Jan 31st, 2008