Forget the economy, the right attacks Obama over Dijon

Francis2004
So it seems the Economy is really not that important to the Right in the US..

Oh my Dijon...

Quote:

WASHINGTON -- The United States is in the midst of a devastating recession, mired in two overseas wars and grappling with a swine flu outbreak, but conservative critics are assailing President Barack Obama on another pressing issue: his choice of burger topping.

Dijongate is in full force, with Fox News and a conservative blogger leading the charge against the president for his choice of the apparently un-American mustard atop his cheeseburger during a recent impromptu lunch stop with Vice-President Joe Biden.

There's no evidence of wiretapped hotel rooms or a Deep Throat lurking in the shadows, but there are indeed accusations of a coverup -- MSNBC, apparently, edited out the president's request for Dijon in order to help Obama maintain his "man of the people" street cred.

Fox's Sean Hannity has been telling his viewers that MSNBC -- and reporter Andrea Mitchell in particular -- are trying to hide Obama's Dijon-loving ways from the public.

Hannity has been referring to the president's lunch as his "fancy burger."

"It was Grey Poupon, which is equally snotty," alleged one commenter on Hannity's website.

William Jacobson, a Cornell law school professor who has also been blogging about Dijongate, noted that Mitchell "didn't mention one arugula-like fact" about Obama's order earlier this week at Ray's Hell Burger in Arlington, Va.

CTV.ca | Forget the economy, the right attacks Obama over Dijon

Extrafire
The title of your link is incorrect. The right did NOT attack Obama over mustard choice. The actual comment was not on the choice of mustard, but rather:

1) Why was MSNBC treating a trip to a burger joint as newsworthy and

2) Why did MSNBC edit out the mustard choice?

The response from the left has generally been to criticize the right for their concern over Obamas mustard choice, when in fact they weren't. They've consistantly ignored the real point (and a very minor un-newsworthy point it was) that MSNBC was concerned about O's choice of mustard.

So I have to wonder:

1) why they're making such a big deal about it and
2) why they aren't criticizing MSNBC for their concern over O's choice of mustard.

What a whole lot of furor over nothing!

Quote:

The post concerned the lunch trip of Obama and Biden to a burger shop to get a " Hell Burger ." I accept that this should not have been news, but the White House image makers wanted to portray the two as just regular guys out at the local diner, so the event was hyped. MSNBC just happened to be in the burger place with cameras rolling when Obama and Biden came in and ordered. Again, not sure why MSNBC had to cover it, but they did, on live TV with Andrea Mitchell at the news desk and Kelly O'Donnell on scene. The dialogue between the two harped on how the trip had a "real guy kind of quality."

And that was the story line. Two regular guys out for a guy kind of meal. A script written in the White House and read by MSNBC.

But MSNBC edited out the audio when Obama ordered his Hell Burger just at the moment when Obama asked for Dijon mustard. Now I have nothing against Dijon mustard, but the image didn't fit with the image being spun by the White House and MSNBC. Dijon mustard on a Hell Burger had a very John Kerry-ish quality about it.

So I did the post, made note of the Dijon mustard, the MSNBC editing, and quipped how Obama must have sought Kerry's counsel. Instapundit (which dubbed the scenario "Dijongate") and Hot Air linked to the post, with the commentary that they thought the mustard thing was a non-scandal and non-issue.

Like most of my posts, Dijongate could have and probably should have fallen into the black hole of internet punditry, never to be seen or heard of again. But the reaction from the nutroots was widespread and swift, and they have kept the story alive.

Check out the links to the original post, and you will see that many of the high profile nutroots blogs have linked. If you check out the links and comments, you will see that the full foul-mouthed, abusive intellect of the nutroots has been brought to bear.

So I kept updating the story, with further links to Obama's choice of condiment, in part as a reaction to the reaction. Which has driven some people even crazier. Now the story has gone national, being picked up by the Washington Post blog .

What gives here? Why the out-sized reaction? If this is a non-story, why is the left obsessed with it?

There are several parts of the answer to this question. Certainly part of the answer is that the left is not content with control of the presidency and Congress; anything, no matter how trivial, which questions Obama must be controlled. Also, Dijongate was a metaphor for the larger issue of media bias which helped Obama get elected, particularly MSNBC's unprofessional and widely-criticized cheer leading.

But those two points cannot explain the nutroots reaction. Surely, Dijongate was a minor blip on the progressive radar screen, if it was a blip at all.

I think the answer to why the nutroots cannot let Dijongate rest is the inherent insecurity of the left with their hold on power. While the mainstream media and left-wing blogs constantly tell us that Republicans and conservatives are dead politically, I don't think they actually believe what they are saying.

More - Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion: MSNBC Hides Obama's Dijon Mustard (aka Dijongate)

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+1
#3  Top Rated Post
The far right lunatics attack Obama over anything and everything. But that's OK because we the majority support the president like patriots usually do.

Francis2004
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

The far right lunatics attack Obama over anything and everything. But that's OK because we the majority support the president like patriots usually do.

But Gopher if it's not

Its not American.. Unfortunately French is actually British... ( Reckitt Benckiser Inc. )

shadowshiv
Free Thinker
I'll bet a side order of Freedom Fries would go along nicely with that hamburger.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois

First it was Obama bowing to his Saudi bosses, now the burger. Clearly, Obama's choice in mustard and the exemption of the traditional American ketchup is a signal to his European masters relative to his admission of his subjugation.

When will the madness end?!

darkbeaver
Republican
The condiment controversy is media manipulation to cover the real dirty deed, the cheezeburger itself. Lord how long must I carry the burden of this warning, they will not stop thier evil ways. I hear the three-quarter pounder may be had.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
... Probable had some poutine along with his treason-burger.

TenPenny
Well, the media obsession with Presidential pet choices has to die off some time, and I guess there has to be some replacement.

Why the media and public are so interested in every President's choice of dog is beyond me. It's been that way for decades, at least as far back as LBJ.

EagleSmack
I guess the King of PR aka POTUS aka Obama has had yet another PR moment gaff.

Dijon mustard on a cheeseburger! LMAO

YukonJack
Conservative
Dijon Mustard on a cheeseburger is akin to mustache on the Mona Lisa.

It would only occur to someone uncontrollably pretentious, ostentatious and phoney.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

It would only occur to someone uncontrollably pretentious, ostentatious and phoney.

Like someone who would use all those big words in the same sentence?

darkbeaver
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

What's it taste like?

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

What's it taste like?

What's it taste like?... maybe Obama can compare it to what it tastes like when he bows down and kisses the Queen's ring.

YukonJack
Conservative
"... maybe Obama can compare it to what it tastes like when he bows down and kisses the Queen's ring."

Or the ring of the homophobic, misogynist "king" of Saudi Arabia.

Just goes to prove that "great minds think alike".

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Highly possible DB... I don't think that Obama is too fussy that way.

TenPenny
The odds are that the mustard seeds came from Canada in the first place, so I'm in favour of mustard of any kind.

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Mustard goes on hotdogs and beef and stuff, ketchup goes on burgers.

SirJosephPorter
No Party Affiliation
No doubt Republicans will be calling for the appointment of a special prosecutor to investigate Dijongate.

After all that is no more absurd, no more ridiculous than appointing a special prosecutor and spending in excess of 100 million $ to investigate Whitewatergate, Filegate, Travelgate and a whole other bunch of gates and coming up empty handed.

Why, it wouldn’t’ surprise me if Republicans have articles of impeachment ready (in anticipation of the misdeeds involved in Dijongate). Poor little Republicans haven’t had much to cheer about lately; this issue is as good for rallying the troops as any.

Zzarchov
Don't know if this has been mentioned.

But Grey Poupon is an American Mustard, and its cheap. Its made by Kraft.

(in the US anyways, In Canada its actually shipped in from France I think)

GreenFish66
mmmm Mustard....

Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
i wonder what they would say if he went to a hockey game, or even played a modern game of basketball?

Unforgiven
Yeah mustard is pretty lame. Now a real man like the leader of the Republikons enjoys a good old American... Oh yeah, no leader, never mind.

darkbeaver
Republican

Gopher, can that be true? If so the majority would adopt the mustard approved by the highest office in the land. In this crisis of choice the unpatriotic media will have to get with the president and inform the citizens of our lands as is thier sworn mission. I think the American people are more than ready for the change, dijon mustard it is then, we could not have hoped for more in our wildest dreams. Thank god for cheezeburgers.

Ron in Regina
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

The odds are that the mustard seeds came from Canada in the first place, so I'm in favour of mustard of any kind.

Even Better. Canadian Mustard = Saskatchewan Mustard (most likely).
The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan | Details

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation

Doesn't seem to me like they are attacking Obama. It looks like they are attacking MSNBC. It would seem that the left are the ones concerned about mustard.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Doesn't seem to me like they are attacking Obama. It looks like they are attacking MSNBC. It would seem that the left are the ones concerned about mustard.

That was my take on it. We all know about the left wing medias abnormal obsession with EVERYTHING OBAMA.

Just like he said at the White House Press Roast...

"Some of you covered me... all of you voted for me."

And they roared with laughter and applause!

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
Mustardgate 2009.

I bet Sara Palin would almost be palatable with a bit of Dijon on her...

Rush Limbaugh probably bleeds mustad, I doubt you could find a meal or condiment that the fat bastard doesn't like.

YukonJack
Conservative
"Doesn't seem to me like they are attacking Obama. It looks like they are attacking MSNBC. It would seem that the left are the ones concerned about mustard."

It makes absolutely no difference what MSNBC says. Their ratings are in the tank. In any given time of the day FOXNews Network triples the number of viewers of MSNBC.

Speaking of the White House Press Roast...

That sorry piece of human garbage, Sykes, wished kidney failure for Rush Limbaugh. And the Chimpanee (why not Obama? Bush was called that often enough), aka President chuckled with glee.

If a conservative comedian wished breast cancer for Hillary Clinton the entire liberal world would be in self-righteous turmoil.

Go, figure!

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Maille or Laurent du Clos Mustard for me, thanks.
For hotdogs though, I like French's yellow with chopped raw onions.