What's your gripe with Grapes?


Avro
#31
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

At least you're balanced and fair...


 
Risus
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

That's obvious. You and I don't see eye to eye, and I don't see eye to eye with several people here. And in some cases it get's heatedly obvious, but having never met any of you, I can't "detest" any of you, for in the end, I only know one aspect of you.

You took me wrong. I was implying that I detest Cherry, not you!
 
CDNBear
#33
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

To be honest, I agree with some of what you said. He wasn't a great coach, his endorsement of aggressive or violent play is misguided, but at least you have the open mindedness to given dues where you see applicable.

That's more then I can say for others.

But good or bad, he is a fixture of the sport and his endorsement and promotion of hockey throughout the world is of a significant benefit both the sport and our country.

BTW: Aren't you biased towards the leafs too? I know I am...
 
CDNBear
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

You took me wrong. I was implying that I detest Cherry, not you!

I knew that. That's why i was questioning how you could detest someone that you've never met, and know very little about.
 
Risus
#35
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

I knew that. That's why i was questioning how you could detest someone that you've never met, and know very little about.

I know a lot about him and have met him once. He was an a$$ then and still is.
 
CDNBear
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

I know a lot about him and have met him once. He was an a$$ then and still is.

If you say so...
 
Avro
#37
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

BTW: Aren't you biased towards the leafs too? I know I am...

You bet your fishing hut I am....whenever I see the white and blue I......
 
CDNBear
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

You bet your fishing hut I am....whenever I see the white and blue I......

So is that a bad thing when Grapes does it?

It's one of his endearing qualities in my eyes.
 
Avro
#39
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

So is that a bad thing when Grapes does it?

It's one of his endearing qualities in my eyes.

Hmmmm....you make an excellent point there.....it's an enigma wrapped up in a mystery....the yin and yang if you will.

I must meditate on this grasshopper.
 
CDNBear
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

Hmmmm....you make an excellent point there.....it's an enigma wrapped up in a mystery....the yin and yang if you will.

I must meditate on this grasshopper.

 
countryboy
#41
He's a unique individual with a mind of his own. He wears outrageous clothing, but being the tolerant individual that I am, I figure that's his taste and his business. The clothing seems to reflect his on-air personality - brash and bold.

I couldn't care less if he was a good hockey player or a good coach - he understands the game and seems to be qualified to comment on it. His colorful style draws attention to the sport.

As far as politics goes - of course lots of people disagree with him, but a little controversy is healthy...if he was a left-leaning, politically correct personality, he'd be boring. We have enough of those already.

All in all, a good, solid, entertaining Canadian, in my opinion.
 
Risus
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

If you say so...

Just curious: if you are going to pick a fight with everyone who doesn't agree with your point of view, why did you even post the question in the first place? in less you want to pick a fight with everyone who doesn't agree with you...
 
CDNBear
#43
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

Just curious: if you are going to pick a fight with everyone who doesn't agree with your point of view, why did you even post the question in the first place? in less you want to pick a fight with everyone who doesn't agree with you...

I guess you missed the back and forth between Avro and myself?

Avro, someone whom I've bumped heads with quite vehemently on several occasions.

Perhaps it's the manner in which you offer your "lame" rebuttals?

Perhaps, just perhaps, even those with whom I disagree just have to put forth some effort, thought or what have you, to get more then just my pity or contempt.

Can you guess which one you get?

 
Avro
#44
Risus wrote:

Quote:

Just curious: if you are going to pick a fight with everyone who doesn't agree with your point of view, why did you even post the question in the first place? in less you want to pick a fight with everyone who doesn't agree with you...

I didn't fight with him and I disagreed.

Says more about you than him me thinks.
 
CDNBear
#45
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

I didn't fight with him and I disagreed.

Says more about you than him me thinks.

Bingo!
 
DurkaDurka
#46
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

Doesn't surprise me that he made CBC's list, since he works for them. Greatest? No way. So what he has a couple of charities? Many others do too. As I said before , he was a failure as a coach.

and he somehow influenced the "people" who voted for him?

A coach who received the NHL coach of the year award and made it to the Cup finals twice is hardly a failure.
 
talloola
#47
[QUOTE=CDNBear;1225629]Neither, because he's neither...


His commentary on visors and the "French guys and Europeans" who wear them, has been proven to be correct.

His commentary on visors is not correct, along with his
biggoted statements re: europeans, (not french), haven't
heard him trash french canadian hockey players, ever.

almost all players wear a visor now, and soon it will be
all, which shoots down his stupid remarks about visors
being worn by chicken sh** type players, europeans, etc.
as I said before I like him away from HNIC, but on that
show he has said some of the most stupid things, and that
is on the subject of hockey, guess it goes over with those
who know nothing about the sport.
Last edited by talloola; Feb 24th, 2010 at 12:47 PM..
 
Risus
#48
Quote: Originally Posted by Avro View Post

Risus wrote:



I didn't fight with him and I disagreed.

Says more about you than him me thinks.

Look back, he had negative comments for a number of people who disagreed with him. He is a waste of time. Case closed.
 
CDNBear
#49
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

His commentary on visors is not correct,along with his
biggoted statements re: europeans, (not french), haven't
heard him trash french canadian hockey players, ever.

I beg to differ...

As of the time, when the comment was made.
  • 35% of the players in the NHL wear visors;
  • North Americans make up 61% of the NHL and represent 35% of the players who wear visors;
  • "Europeans and French guys" make up 39% of the NHL and wear 65% of the visors;
  • 20% of the North Americans that play in the NHL wear a visor;
  • 55% of the "French guys" who play in the NHL wear a visor; and
  • 59% of the Europeans that play in the NHL wear a visor.

almost all players wear visors now, and soon it will be
all, which shoots down his stupid remarks about visors
being worn by chicken sh** type players, europeans, etc.
as I said before I like him away from HNIC, but on that
show he has said some of the most stupid things, and that
is on the subject of hockey, guess it goes over with those
who know nothing about the sport.[/quote]Ya that must be it...

Or perhaps some are just capable of looking past the window dressing...

Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

Look back, he had negative comments for a number of people who disagreed with him. He is a waste of time. Case closed.

Cause you say so......

I looked back and could only find one "negative" brand of commentary and it was yours, that I used.

I guess this means you're self loathing?
 
talloola
#50
[QUOTE=CDNBear;1225770]I beg to differ...

represent 35% of the players who wear visors; [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][*] "Europeans and French guys" make up 39% of the NHL and wear 65% of the visors; [*] 20% of the North Americans that play in the NHL wear a visor; [*] 55% of the "French guys" who play in the NHL wear a visor; and [*] 59% of the Europeans that play in the NHL wear a visor. [/LIST]
I will reword, many many more players wear visors now,
compared to a few years ago, and the number is increasing.
Who wears the visors has no bearing on anything, and it
won't be long before they are mandatory.
He is starting to suck up to ovetchkin, pretends to be his
father figure, giving him advice about behavior etc., and
other european players as well, he's beginning to soften
on that biggoted attitude, as it makes him look more
stupid on the show than he allready is.
 
Avro
#51
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

Look back, he had negative comments for a number of people who disagreed with him. He is a waste of time. Case closed.

 
CDNBear
#52
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

I will reword, many many more players wear visors now,
compared to a few years ago, and the number is increasing.
Who wears the visors has no bearing on anything, and it
won't be long before they are mandatory.

That was then, this is now. And when he made the comments, it was true.

Quote:

He is starting to suck up to ovetchkin, pretends to be his
father figure, giving him advice about behavior etc., and
other european players as well, he's beginning to soften
on that biggoted attitude, as it makes him look more
stupid on the show than he always is.

Or maybe, like most mentally healthy people, he's growing...
 
Avro
#53
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Or maybe, like most mentally healthy people, he's growing...


Ouch......

 
talloola
#54
[QUOTE=CDNBear;1225775]
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

Or maybe, like most mentally healthy people, he's growing...

It's all about 'ratings' not life, whatever works, works,
and being biggoted on the show has 'died'. He's there to
make money, just like any other entertainer.
 
CDNBear
#55
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post


It's all about 'ratings' not life, whatever works, works,
and being biggoted on the show has 'died'. He's there to
make money, just like any other entertainer.

Fair enough. But to measure a man based on his "entertainer" hat, is, well, silly.

I think I'll measure the man for his charitable works, his steadfast promotion and support of the sport and his support of my fellow Troopers.

And like I said to Avro, it's not as if I agree with everything the man did. Just the good stuff.
 
talloola
#56
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Fair enough. But to measure a man based on his "entertainer" hat, is, well, silly.

I think I'll measure the man for his charitable works, his steadfast promotion and support of the sport and his support of my fellow Troopers.

And like I said to Avro, it's not as if I agree with everything the man did. Just the good stuff.

I allready said I like him away from the show, I dislike
the tackiness of the character he portrays, (for money)
on that show.
 
wulfie68
#57
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

A coach who received the NHL coach of the year award and made it to the Cup finals twice is hardly a failure.

As well as the AHL coach of the year twice. The game may have passed him by a little, in terms of his ability to coach in the NHL but that doesn't stop a number of commentators on various networks, or prevent them from giving some interesting insights on the game. I don't agree with everything he says, especially when he goes on about the Burnt Leafs, but I find it interesting...and his tips to young players and coaches on safety issues (and about things like keeping their heads up) shouldn't be undersold.

As for his "promoting the war in Afghanistan" and his "right wing politics", I see him acknowledge those who fall in Afghanistan, as well as police officers who die in the line of duty and people in the hockey community who pass away. How is this promoting anything other than paying homage to some of those who are no longer with us?

Some want to slag Grapes' charity work too. Well, yes there are a lot of celebrities and a lot of hockey people involved in charity work but the more the better. Anyone who wants to get on someone's case about things that benefit those less fortunate needs to step and get some perspective: this isn't something that is done (solely? at all?) for self-aggrandizement.

Like I said, I don't agree with him all the time but I respect his accomplishments and the good works that he is still involved with.
 
CDNBear
#58
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

I allready said I like him away from the show, I dislike
the tackiness of the character he portrays, (for money)
on that show.

I know...

I can't say I dislike that "character". I think it's endearing and there truly is much of himself in that "character". His passion is what you see pull those verbal cards out of the air, or left field, whatever the case maybe. It may very well be something he puts on, or highlights, in front of the camera's, but I think he does it for more then just the dollar signs. I believe he truly loves the game with all his heart.

He's related to a family with whom I am close. I have met him and conversed with him on several occasions. He does love us Troopers. And even off air, in "civies" (His word) he's still bolder and bigger then life and pulls no punches. Which is likely the very reason I admire him. I count that characteristic, as a truly important and genuine one. I liked his command of a room when he enters, effortless and with a sense of true accomplishment and passion.

Can't fault that where I come from.


Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68 View Post

As well as the AHL coach of the year twice. The game may have passed him by a little, in terms of his ability to coach in the NHL but that doesn't stop a number of commentators on various networks, or prevent them from giving some interesting insights on the game. I don't agree with everything he says, especially when he goes on about the Burnt Leafs, but I find it interesting...and his tips to young players and coaches on safety issues (and about things like keeping their heads up) shouldn't be undersold.

As for his "promoting the war in Afghanistan" and his "right wing politics", I see him acknowledge those who fall in Afghanistan, as well as police officers who die in the line of duty and people in the hockey community who pass away. How is this promoting anything other than paying homage to some of those who are no longer with us?

Some want to slag Grapes' charity work too. Well, yes there are a lot of celebrities and a lot of hockey people involved in charity work but the more the better. Anyone who wants to get on someone's case about things that benefit those less fortunate needs to step and get some perspective: this isn't something that is done (solely? at all?) for self-aggrandizement.

Like I said, I don't agree with him all the time but I respect his accomplishments and the good works that he is still involved with.

Well said...
 
AnnaG
#59
I like him. If I got the sense that he was discourteous, rude, mean, etc. I wouldn't like him. He's a funny guy,too, and very loving with his family and friends.
Cherry the hockey guy is hilarious and his partner, Ron McLean, is good at being the straight man.
 
talloola
#60
[QUOTE=CDNBear;1225775]That was then, this is now. And when he made the comments, it was true.

There is nothing cowardess about someone wearing eye protection, then stepping on the ice to play a very
rough physical game, in which there are many injuries,
and some have had serious eye injuries, where sticks have
done the damage.
When he made the visor comments, it was not true. He
called europeans and others who wore visors 'sissies' or
something that meant the same, that is his problem and
ignorance, and not true at all.
Don't hear it much from him any longer, even he had to realize
that it is common sense and the NHL do too.
 

Similar Threads

1
Sour 9/11 Grapes
by darkbeaver | Feb 21st, 2007
56
Gripe Of The Day
by missile | Oct 6th, 2005