Cricket: India are ranked world No1 for first time after crushing Sri Lanka


gopher
+1
#61
According to ICC, Oz is # 1 in ODI with India #1 in Test. Can't recall offhand who ranks at the top in 20/20 which is my favorite format.

If promoted properly, 20s can be very popular in the USA because it is a quicker game.

There can be no question that cricket is a very exciting game which I find terribly addictive! I didn't watch any tonight as I watched the BCS National Championship. Hopefully, there will be some cric online tomorrow.
 
vinod1975
#62
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

According to ICC, Oz is # 1 in ODI with India #1 in Test. Can't recall offhand who ranks at the top in 20/20 which is my favorite format.

If promoted properly, 20s can be very popular in the USA because it is a quicker game.

There can be no question that cricket is a very exciting game which I find terribly addictive! I didn't watch any tonight as I watched the BCS National Championship. Hopefully, there will be some cric online tomorrow.

Last champ of 20/20 world cup
 
gopher
+1
#63
India is now taking on Bangladesh in a test series. At the moment there is a delay due to weather (fog and what is called ''bad light'').
 
gopher
+1
#64
Alas! The channel that presented cricket every night has been closed down. ARGH!!
 
JakeElwood
#65
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

Alas! The channel that presented cricket every night has been closed down. ARGH!!

After watching England's demolition in the 4th Test against South Africa last week I wish the TV station that was showing that game had gone off air during the first session of Day 1. It was painful viewing.

With the exception of a Collingwood, who scored 47 and 71, none of the other English batsmen scored more than 35.

Bowled out for 180 and 169. Just about the worst Test I can remember and that includes the thrashings the Aussies and Windies dished out in the 80s, 90s and 00s.

Even the 46 all out (chasing 194 to win) in the second innings (3rd Test) of the 1993/94 winter tour of the Windies, when Curtley Ambrose (6 for 24) and Courtney Walsh (3 for 16) destroyed the English batting, wasn't as bad as last week's batting.

Last week we were playing with 6 specialist batsmen, because the selectors believe our batting isn't good enough to play with only 5 batsmen. The knock-on effect is without an all-rounder we have to get by with only 4 main bowlers, which makes it harder to get the 20 wickets needed to win a Test. Plus without Flintoff and Harmison we no longer have any real fast bowlers. As South Africa proved with Morkel and Steyn (both claimed 7 wickets in the match), a bowling attack needs real pace.
 
gopher
+1
#66
I managed to watch just a little of the Eng-SA series as the channel prefers to present teams from the Indian subcontinent.

Are you waching the under 19 series? It is presently on at www.justin.tv. England is doing quite well. The cric future for Eng looks quite good.
 
gopher
+1
#67
Am now watching <19 as Sri Lanka and South Africa are having a great match. On another channel India & Bangladesh are having a match.

Cricket sure is highly addictive!
 
JakeElwood
#68
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

I managed to watch just a little of the Eng-SA series as the channel prefers to present teams from the Indian subcontinent.

Are you waching the under 19 series? It is presently on at www.justin.tv. England is doing quite well. The cric future for Eng looks quite good.

No I haven't been able to catch any of the U-19s.

Great to hear we have some promising youngsters, but there's the usual problem with English cricket, most of them will be kept out of the county sides by sentimentality. Some of the counties keep the aging players, who are sliding towards retirement, in the teams far too long and delay the youngsters getting their debuts.

Most of them would probably be good enough to play by 20, but they get stuck behind the stalwarts of the county game for maybe another 5 years and by then some of that enthusiasm to play the game has been eroded.

A lot of players are still picked on past reputation and not current form. For decades the England Test Side has been proof of this.

Great example being Michael Carberry a fantastic batsman, who has scored brilliantly in the county game the past three seasons and was only called into the England squad against South Africa when Collingwood dislocated a finger in the 2nd Test. He is 29 and played for the U-19s in 2000 but still hasn't played a Test for England. He has only played 95 First Class County cricket games since his debut in 2002.

However with Andrew Strauss rested for the February/March 2010 tour to Bangladesh, it looks like Carberry will get his Test debut opening the batting with Alistair Cook, approx. seven months shy of his 30th birthday.

Good luck to him, I just hope the pitches in Bangladesh aren't nasty turning wickets that could make his first series difficult.

Carberry did say that his move to play County Cricket for Hampshire was a real turning point for his career in 2005, he got to play alongside the great Shane Warne (the county captain at the time) who helped him a lot.

Imagine adding Shane Warne to one of those great West Indian pace bowling attacks. No pitch would've been safe for any batsman.