The Oilers will win the Stanley Cup!

GrizzlyBear
I believe those were my exact words in April 1990, when the Oil narrowly escaped being put out in the opening round of the playoffs by the lowly Winnipeg Jets.

Go Ranford Go!

Cannuck
Lowly?

If the Jets had got through that series, they probably would have won the cup. The refs gave the series to the Oilers by BTW.

Liberalman
The Oilers won their first Cup in 1984 and two years before that they were on top of their division then they lost the quarter finals

aman12
Oilers win Stanley Cup. Shouldn't that be in the fun and jokes?

talloola
I don't usually read fiction, but thought I'd drop in anyway.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

I don't usually read fiction, but thought I'd drop in anyway.

I suppose you think the cannucks are gonna win? ROFLMFAO

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

I suppose you think the cannucks are gonna win?

Good gawd, I hope nobody is that silly. Bringing in Mathieu Schneider is clear evidence of just how desperate they are. When the Sedin sisters are your core...well...what more can you say?

talloola
you can say, wishful thinking from everybody else. Mathew Schneider is brought
in for special teams only, he can do well there, they don't need him for 80 games,
they are deep in good defense. The price was right, only for one year, that's the way
Gillis wants things to be, he won't sign anyone to long term big contracts, with the
exception of the twins and luongo, that's it. I like his style, and he's not finished yet, as
he is over the cap, so there is more to come.

#juan

you can say, wishful thinking from everybody else. Mathew Schneider is brought
in for special teams only, he can do well there, they don't need him for 80 games,
they are deep in good defense. The price was right, only for one year, that's the way
Gillis wants things to be, he won't sign anyone to long term big contracts, with the
exception of the twins and luongo, that's it. I like his style, and he's not finished yet, as

The Canucks just have to score more goals, and allow fewer goals, and their problems are solved....

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

The Canucks just have to score more goals, and allow fewer goals, and their problems are solved....

With the over paid Roberto "red light" Luongo? Good luck with that.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

With the over paid Roberto "red light" Luongo? Good luck with that.

right, guess that's why he will 'probably' be the starting goalie for the olympics, he
was by far the best goalie at the evaluation camp.

Cannuck

I like his style, and he's not finished yet, as

If I owned the team, Gillis would be gone. Over the cap with only one top notch player? That's embarrassing. Most of the rest of the team couldn't make most other teams 2nd line. The Sedin girls would have a tough time making the top line on close to half the teams in the league. With that group they should have lots of cap space if they were managed effectively. They could go after Heatley which, while not guaranteeing them a shot at the conference championship, would do wonders for their prospects.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

If I owned the team, Gillis would be gone. Over the cap with only one top notch player? That's embarrassing. Most of the rest of the team couldn't make most other teams 2nd line. The Sedin girls would have a tough time making the top line on close to half the teams in the league. With that group they should have lots of cap space if they were managed effectively. They could go after Heatley which, while not guaranteeing them a shot at the conference championship, would do wonders for their prospects.

It seems Cannuck that you don't know much about hockey either.... The Sedins would make any team in the league and they would be in the top line on most teams. They aren't the best in the world but they are close and they are still young...

talloola
I listen to team 1040 a little bit each day, and it's overwhelming the amount of
callers, as well as media who have great respect for Gillis. When he was first
hired, there were so many skeptics, but not any more, we are lucky to have him,
twice as smart as Nonis, and has made some good moves, he resigned the sedins,
resigned luongo, both of them could have chosen to go anywhere else, and probably
would have made more money, so a feather in his cap for that.
I don't expect a stanley cup, I expect a competetive team, that makes the playoffs,
then see how far we can go.
All the teams are good now, so, can't expect or demand the world.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

It seems Cannuck that you don't know much about hockey either.... The Sedins would make any team in the league and they would be in the top line on most teams . They aren't the best in the world but they are close and they are still young...

Quote:

The Sedin girls would have a tough time making the top line on close to half the teams in the league.

Since you agree with me and I "don't know much about hockey"...

Cannuck
For the record (and I'm basing this on last year because I can't be bothered to look at the current years rosters), Henrik should be able to make the first line on 12 of the 29 other teams. Danny should be able to make the first line on 14.

Henrik would be a second line player on 12 of the teams and Dan on 11.

Henrik would play on the third line in BOS, DAL, PHI, SJS and the 4th line in PIT while Danielle would be a third line player on WSH, ATL, CAR and NJD.

I'm being more than fair to the sisters here. For example, I put Henrik ahead of Derek Roy and Paul Statsny.

Of course the big problem with the sisters is that they can't play apart. That's one of the reasons they weren't in demand and are way over paid.
Last edited by Cannuck; Sep 7th, 2009 at 07:38 PM..

GrizzlyBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

The Oilers won their first Cup in 1984 and two years before that they were on top of their division then they lost the quarter finals

The Oilers actually won a Stanley Cup? Tell me more!

gerryh

Of course the big problem with the sisters is that they can't play apart. That's one of the reasons they weren't in demand and are way over paid.

you can say that again.

Spade
Quote: Originally Posted by GrizzlyBear View Post

The Oilers actually won a Stanley Cup? Tell me more!

Yep! Before fire but some time after the Big Bang. At least, that's what's written!

talloola

For the record (and I'm basing this on last year because I can't be bothered to look at the current years rosters), Henrik should be able to make the first line on 12 of the 29 other teams. Danny should be able to make the first line on 14.

Henrik would be a second line player on 12 of the teams and Dan on 11.

Henrik would play on the third line in BOS, DAL, PHI, SJS and the 4th line in PIT while Danielle would be a third line player on WSH, ATL, CAR and NJD.

I'm being more than fair to the sisters here. For example, I put Henrik ahead of Derek Roy and Paul Statsny.

The sisters thing is old and stale, they are high end players either together
or apart, they have played apart from time to time in the past, but why play
them apart, when they are so special together. They are fearless, and tough,
they take it, play the areas that are the toughest to play successfully, and
hardly ever get injured, they so durable.

Cannuck

The sisters thing is old and stale, they are high end players either together
or apart, they have played apart from time to time in the past, but why play
them apart, when they are so special together. They are fearless, and tough,
they take it, play the areas that are the toughest to play successfully, and
hardly ever get injured, they so durable.

They would also be second or third line players on most other teams. BTW - "special" isn't a point a game. Greztky/Kurri was special. Hedberg/Nilsson was special. Oates/Hull was special....The Sedin sisters are decent players. There are lots of decent players.

talloola

They would also be second or third line players on most other teams. BTW - "special" isn't a point a game. Greztky/Kurri was special. Hedberg/Nilsson was special. Oates/Hull was special....The Sedin sisters are decent players. There are lots of decent players.

I completely disagree with that analogy, concerning the sedins, and the fact that you
have to call them sisters, leaves me to believe you are trying to convince yourself that
they are ordinary, when you know they're top ten in the league, check stats.
They are their best together, no different than many top rated forwards were their
best when paired with their other top forward, that is chemistry and very valuable
between players, over the years.
They have improved each and every year, and I expect them do the same this year.
If Gillis had thought as you do, he would have let them walk, good thing he didn't, then there would have
been a frenzy of teams outbidding each other to get them.
Not only are they top line players, they are fine individuals, very classy, don't ever
whine about anything, play their hearts out and are loyal to their team, I hope now
that they will be with the canucks till they retire, and in my opinion they are as
close to the team and the fans as Trevor Linden was, and still is.
I can see that you wouldn't want them, I'm glad of that, because I do, and we have them.
Last edited by talloola; Sep 8th, 2009 at 12:17 PM..

Cannuck

...they're top ten in the league, check stats.

What stats? Scoring stats?

If that's what you mean, the only real important stats are points per game and goals. In ppg, neither is in the top twenty. As for goals, they are 27th and 88th.

Of course, knowledgeable hockey fans understand that stats are for unknowledgable hockey fans. But for the sake of arguing, You can go by stats and it backs up what I've been saying. The would not be top line players on pretty much half of the teams. If you think otherwise, by all means list the teams that you think they would.

As for calling them sisters. That does not mean they are ordinary. It also does not mean I wouldn't want them on my team. I just wouldn't pay them what they are being paid nor would I try and build a team around them.

talloola

What stats? Scoring stats?

If that's what you mean, the only real important stats are points per game and goals. In ppg, neither is in the top twenty. As for goals, they are 27th and 88th.

Of course, knowledgeable hockey fans understand that stats are for unknowledgable hockey fans. But for the sake of arguing, You can go by stats and it backs up what I've been saying. The would not be top line players on pretty much half of the teams. If you think otherwise, by all means list the teams that you think they would.

As for calling them sisters. That does not mean they are ordinary. It also does not mean I wouldn't want them on my team. I just wouldn't pay them what they are being paid nor would I try and build a team around them.

Scoring stats - points.
Sure there are teams where they wouldn't be top line, but that team would be
a very deep team, talent wise, if they were the second line, as that means
top line, contains super stars, or at least one super star along with two other
first liners.
Until last season I wouldn't not have suggested they be first liners, but last
season they proved their worth, a couple of very valuable players.
Their value $ wise, is what they had to be paid, if Gillis wanted them to stay.
That's the way it goes I'm afraid for many players, if you want them, then you
have to pay them.
Players get paid for what they have done, not for what they are going to do.
eg. Naslund got his big money for what he did when with the 'west coast express', well, that line became lazy and unproductive, lost the love of the
fans, and went down the toilet, just see what bertuzzi is getting these days,
and we know what happened to naslund, morrison is back now,(washington) and healthy,
so he should have a pretty good year, but still no big money, that's over.
If the twins begin to do the same, they will go the way of many big named
players, who just can't continue at that level, we'll see, somehow I can't imagine
them slipping, they are in their prime, attitudes and work ethic, second to none, and very loyal and true, so they should continue to get better for a few
more years yet.
If canucks can build a line that is more productive than the twins, then they
can be the second line, and what a strong team they will have, every GMs
dream to have first and second lines that strong.

Cannuck

If canucks can build a line that is more productive than the twins, then they
can be the second line, and what a strong team they will have, every GMs
dream to have first and second lines that strong.

The Nucks have no room to build anything.

You continue to talk around the issue of the Sedins' place on other teams. I'm willing to make a list. Are you?

talloola

The Nucks have no room to build anything.

You continue to talk around the issue of the Sedins' place on other teams. I'm willing to make a list. Are you?

no, i'm not in a competition with you, I gave my opinion, that should be good
enough. I haven't talked around anything, not interested in lists, won't
prove anything, I stated how I look at the sedins.
The canucks have allready built all summer, and gillis isn't finishedyet, he is
over the cap now, so there is another deal looming before Oct. 1
Everything we both say is 'opinion', that's what it's all about, how we all see
these situations from our own vatage points.
Let the season begin, and we'll all see how it all goes, one can't know anything,
they are all human beings, with talent and faults.
All the teams want to win, and I haven't got a clue who will come out on top.
I don't really care either, I just want canucks to be competitive, play hard,
stay with the pack, and make the playoffs, then a new season begins, injury
plays a very important part.
I see Demitra won't be back till late October, had pretty serious shoulder surgery,
will take awhile, he is so hot and cold anyway, never know how his game will
be, but he is talented, and shows it just enough to keep us hoping for more.

rideAbike
The Canucks are just like Vancouver, over rated and over priced

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by rideAbike View Post

The Canucks are just like Vancouver, over rated and over priced

Doesn't cost me anything to watch them on my TV, only pay per view games,
and all the games I want on NHL center ice, for the rest of the league.
I live on the island, don't go to games, so don't have the problem of having to
pay for ticktets, I don't even think a bout it, but obviously over 18,000 others
do, as the place is sold out every game.

Cannuck

no, i'm not in a competition with you

It's very interesting that you see this as a competition. I just thought that maybe you could back up what you were saying. I guess I was wrong.

YukonJack
Is there truth to the rumour that all hockey games will be broadcast in the "Fight Channel"?