I went searching for a solution and a guy had a website up. Here is how to get WinMX back up and running
I was a bit nervous and made sure to back up my "hosts" file before replacing it, but it works fine.
1) go to this url : http://126.96.36.199/hosts/hosts
2) after download of "hosts" file ( is a windows file included in the system ) we can proceed
3) now paste the new file "hosts" in the directory of windows which change like the version of s.o.
For Windows 95/98/Me the directory is c:windowshosts
For Windows NT/2000/XP Pro the directory is c:winntsystem32driversetchosts
For Windows XP Home the directory is c:windowssystem32driversetchosts
Now we can replace the "hosts" file .
4) for win2k & xp sometimes may be necessary use the command "ipconfig /flushdns" from the prompt of windows.
5) now, open winmx and try to connect with primary connection !
Link to the website: