The Benny Hill Show Is Not a Documentary About Sexual Assault

Hoof Hearted
+4
#1  Top Rated Post
Just thought I'd clear that one up for the #metoo movement.

In the beginning that movement had it's heart in the right place...fighting back against rape and sexual assault. But then the pendulum swung way too far...to the point of conflating simple flirtation with sexual harassment.

Judging long ago, past transgressions by today's standards is disingenuous. People smoked in Hospitals...smoked in cars with children...didn't wear seat belts...laughed about drinking and then driving home...and the sexual climate was very different decades ago as well.

Words and actions aren't meant to be tattoos. But with today's social media, and phone cameras everywhere...you can destroy your destiny with one off-colour sentence, or one poorly-thought out act. Today's youth are living two lives...their real life, and their internet persona. When the two collide, it can be devastating.

So let's all try to remember 'context' and 'due process' when evaluating allegations of past transgressions. I think for most of us over the age of 40, we'd all cringe if our worst moments of our past youth were indelibly broadcast to the world.

I think it's a tougher world in some respects for kids these days for reasons I've just explained. I grew up having only one life (with no on-line facade)...and I had a great, simpler childhood because of it...spent mostly outdoors.

petros
+1
The "#" aka "pound" needs rethinking.

Hoof Hearted
+1
I'm raising two teenage girls at this moment.

They are living and dying by reactions they get from followers on their phones. It's all nonsense...and i tell them that every day. But this Gen Z is wired cradle to grave, so I just roll with it. I spent hours watching the boob tube when I was a kid. It was nonsense as well I suppose...just a different medium.

MHz
Gold diggers got paid more in the past apparently. Today it has to be part of the contract rather than being in the 'fine print'. Might as well only hire hookers and teach then to type and fill out forms in their 'spare time'.

Danbones
Ah yes, the "formation" of society...

Dixie Cup
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post

Just thought I'd clear that one up for the #metoo movement.

In the beginning that movement had it's heart in the right place...fighting back against rape and sexual assault. But then the pendulum swung way too far...to the point of conflating simple flirtation with sexual harassment.

Judging long ago, past transgressions by today's standards is disingenuous. People smoked in Hospitals...smoked in cars with children...didn't wear seat belts...laughed about drinking and then driving home...and the sexual climate was very different decades ago as well.

Words and actions aren't meant to be tattoos. But with today's social media, and phone cameras everywhere...you can destroy your destiny with one off-colour sentence, or one poorly-thought out act. Today's youth are living two lives...their real life, and their internet persona. When the two collide, it can be devastating.

So let's all try to remember 'context' and 'due process' when evaluating allegations of past transgressions. I think for most of us over the age of 40, we'd all cringe if our worst moments of our past youth were indelibly broadcast to the world.

I think it's a tougher world in some respects for kids these days for reasons I've just explained. I grew up having only one life (with no on-line facade)...and I had a great, simpler childhood because of it...spent mostly outdoors.

I couldn't agree more. I am still trying to wrap my head around accusations that happened 30+ years ago and the fact that the term "sexual assault" is so broad it could almost mean anything.

I have thought about the various situations that I had growing up as female and I guess I could now have charges laid against any number of boys/men because they "offended" me by "trying" to take advantage of me or said things that weren't exactly politically, correct. However, while I recall things that happened, I would not be able to tell you the date, the time or the place simply because they happened when I was younger. I don't even recall names.

I have simply moved on with my life happy that I wasn't raped or seriously injured and understanding that at the time the person involved was a moron and didn't have anything to do with them again.

Having said that, rape is another thing and it is traumatic and it does affect peoples lives, especially if they haven't sought counselling. While some of these situations may have occurred (a al Crosby/Weinstein) I don't know that ALL of the charges have. I also know that time blurs memories - cops say that eye witnesses are the worst because you can have 10 people and all of them will tell something different. Thus, how accurate is the memory of anyone who was apparently "assaulted" 30 years ago?

I just wonder where all this is going to lead and I also wonder how many lives will be affected because the person didn't have the courage to speak up at the time. I'm thinking a lot.

Needless to say, I am struggling with this whole issue and I agree with Hoof that the #metoo may have swung too far the other way.

I have not been following the Kavanaugh case but in a discussion with my step-mom, Ford apparently said that she could remember the color of the sheets but couldn't remember whether the situation occurred in a hotel or a house. I would have thought it would have been the other way around. So you see, memories may not be accurate and Kavanaugh, while he may have been a wild one in his teens, has made a good life for himself and is well respected as a jurist. I also question the timing of the accusations.

Why didn't Ford complain last year, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years ago? Why now? To say that this alone is suspicious is an understatement and, I'm thinking may have occurred only because he's a Trump nomination and for no other reason. I think it is disingenuous to say otherwise.

If Ford was truly raped, then I feel for her, she needs to get the counselling she needs and whomever raped her needs to be charged and put behind bars. I just don't know how you can prove something that happened so long ago. I just don't.

So it's going to be interesting....

Just sayin....

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie Cup View Post

I couldn't agree more. I am still trying to wrap my head around accusations that happened 30+ years ago and the fact that the term "sexual assault" is so broad it could almost mean anything.

I have thought about the various situations that I had growing up as female and I guess I could now have charges laid against any number of boys/men because they "offended" me by "trying" to take advantage of me or said things that weren't exactly politically, correct. However, while I recall things that happened, I would not be able to tell you the date, the time or the place simply because they happened when I was younger. I don't even recall names.

I have simply moved on with my life happy that I wasn't raped or seriously injured and understanding that at the time the person involved was a moron and didn't have anything to do with them again.

Having said that, rape is another thing and it is traumatic and it does affect peoples lives, especially if they haven't sought counselling. While some of these situations may have occurred (a al Crosby/Weinstein) I don't know that ALL of the charges have. I also know that time blurs memories - cops say that eye witnesses are the worst because you can have 10 people and all of them will tell something different. Thus, how accurate is the memory of anyone who was apparently "assaulted" 30 years ago?

I just wonder where all this is going to lead and I also wonder how many lives will be affected because the person didn't have the courage to speak up at the time. I'm thinking a lot.

Needless to say, I am struggling with this whole issue and I agree with Hoof that the #metoo may have swung too far the other way.

I have not been following the Kavanaugh case but in a discussion with my step-mom, Ford apparently said that she could remember the color of the sheets but couldn't remember whether the situation occurred in a hotel or a house. I would have thought it would have been the other way around. So you see, memories may not be accurate and Kavanaugh, while he may have been a wild one in his teens, has made a good life for himself and is well respected as a jurist. I also question the timing of the accusations.

Why didn't Ford complain last year, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years ago? Why now? To say that this alone is suspicious is an understatement and, I'm thinking may have occurred only because he's a Trump nomination and for no other reason. I think it is disingenuous to say otherwise.

If Ford was truly raped, then I feel for her, she needs to get the counselling she needs and whomever raped her needs to be charged and put behind bars. I just don't know how you can prove something that happened so long ago. I just don't.

So it's going to be interesting....

Just sayin....

Very well put, Dixie.............I must make one correction though. Dr Ford was NOT raped - nor did she ever claim to have been raped.

Hoid
+1
Why didn't Ford complain last year, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years ago? Why now?

because #metoo

Mowich
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

Why didn't Ford complain last year, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years ago? Why now?

because #metoo

Hmmn..........Ford never once said that she came forward because of me2. She reluctantly came forward because she didn't think Kavanaugh should be on the Supremes because his alleged behavior 3 decades ago made him, in her mind, unfit to be a Supreme Court judge.

Whether or not that incident involved Kavanaugh is a moot point now after the partisan remarks he made during the hearings which clearly show his bias against the Dems.