Canada’s GDP growth soars to 2.9% in second quarter – exports hit 4-year record

mentalfloss
+1
1. All thanks to pipelines.

Oh wait, there are none and the economy is performing better than under Harper.

2. Maybe the solution is tax cuts.

Okay, okay, okay, this time I've got it.

3. We need to secure our borders from the illegal infidels!

4. THIS TRUDEAU GUY IS RUINING CANADA

A surge in exports of energy, aircraft and pharmaceutical products helped propel Canada’s economy higher in the second quarter of this year, Statistics Canada said Thursday. The economy rocketed to an annualized pace of 2.9 per cent in the period from April 1 through June 30, compared with a slightly revised annual pace of 1.4 per cent in the first three months of 2018, the agency said.

Statistics Canada said the sharp hike in growth was mainly the result of higher exports, which saw an increase of 2.9 per cent in the quarter. That was the highest growth rate for that category in four years, led by energy exports, which accelerated at a rate of 5.6 per cent.

Exports of goods were 6.3 per cent higher in the second quarter, driven particularly by pharmaceuticals while exports of aircraft, aircraft parts and engines grew by 13.4 per cent. Service exports edged 0.2 per cent lower.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4418317/c...june-2018/amp/

White_Unifier
Given soaring debt, how sustainable is it?

mentalfloss
Ask Japan

Debt to GDP is what's important

Walter
+1
All because US has a 4.2% growth rate and the Dyke-bitch is gone from power in ON. When the US is booming Canada does OK. MAGA

mentalfloss
Yes it was because of the tariffs and a GDP from a completely different quarter that Obama has already eclipsed three times before.
Last edited by mentalfloss; Aug 30th, 2018 at 05:23 PM..

White_Unifier
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Ask Japan

Debt to GDP is what's important

So how's Canada's present debt-to-GDP ratio compared to before?

Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

All because US has a 4.2% growth rate and the Dyke-bitch is gone from power in ON. When the US is booming Canada does OK. MAGA

I take it a lesbian must have really hurt you in the past. Wanna group hug?

I'll take that reddie as a 'no.' I feel for you Walter. I really do.
Last edited by White_Unifier; Aug 30th, 2018 at 05:06 PM..

mentalfloss

White_Unifier
+1 / -1
It seems like a lesbian mutt traumatized Walter at some point in the past. He probably saw a mutt sniffing another's butt one day and it traumatized him somehow.

Hi Walter. No worries, I don't own a dog and no one in my household is gay, and none of us bite. You're safe among us.
Last edited by White_Unifier; Aug 30th, 2018 at 06:10 PM..

pgs
Free Thinker
+3
#9  Top Rated Post
If it soared , why did it come in under expectations ?

petros
+3
Inflation is 3%, Recession.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...rate-1.4788818

Canada's inflation rate rises to 3%, highest level since 2011
Facebook
LinkedIn

Gasoline prices have increased by more than 25% in the past year
Pete Evans · CBC News · Posted: Aug 17, 2018 8:48 AM ET | Last Updated: August 17

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

So how's Canada's present debt-to-GDP ratio compared to before?

I take it a lesbian must have really hurt you in the past. Wanna group hug?

I'll take that reddie as a 'no.' I feel for you Walter. I really do.

Sometimes, you don't know there person you marry well enough, eh?

mentalfloss
I feel sorry for conbots like petrol.

The economy is doing well and they really hate that.

Ottawa posts $4.3-billion surplus for first quarter

Finance Canada’s monthly tracking report of the federal bottom line showed a $4.3-billion surplus over the April to June period, which is up from a surplus of $83-million during the same three month period one year ago.

The first-quarter surplus is largely attributed to stronger revenues, which were up 8.6 per cent over the quarter. The increase outpaced the 2.3-per-cent growth in program expenses over that quarter.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...medium=twitter

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Yup. She must have broken his heart. Poor guy.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Canada's inflation rate rises to 3%,
August 17

Quote:

-0.1 = Recession

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Inflation is 3%, Recession.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...rate-1.4788818

Canada's inflation rate rises to 3%, highest level since 2011
Facebook
LinkedIn

Gasoline prices have increased by more than 25% in the past year
Pete Evans · CBC News · Posted: Aug 17, 2018 8:48 AM ET | Last Updated: August 17

If inflation outstrips growth in dollar terms, then that's economic shrinkage in real terms. That's a recession combined with inflation (i.e. stagflation).

to be clear though, a moderate recession is not always a bad thing. Stability is most important, growth being an added bonus. That said, inflation and interest rates work against stability.

Also, the government has little control over stable growth, so I won't hold that against any government: but it does have indirect control over long-term inflation and interest rates, so I do hold the government to account for that. It has little control over stable economic growth (though it does have ways to force unsustainable growth, granted), but it does have much control over economic stability which is far more important than growth in my opinion. Growth should be viewed as an added bonus on top of stability, not the primary goal at the expense of stability. Harper seemed to understand that at least better than Trudeau did.
Last edited by White_Unifier; Aug 31st, 2018 at 02:12 PM..

DaSleeper

I feel sorry for conbots like petrol.

The economy is doing well and they really hate that.

Ottawa posts $4.3-billion surplus for first quarter

Finance Canada’s monthly tracking report of the federal bottom line showed a $4.3-billion surplus over the April to June period, which is up from a surplus of $83-million during the same three month period one year ago.

The first-quarter surplus is largely attributed to stronger revenues, which were up 8.6 per cent over the quarter. The increase outpaced the 2.3-per-cent growth in program expenses over that quarter.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...medium=twitter

Ain't nuttin'

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle26141782/

BTW Isn't that when the population pays their income tax?

mentalfloss
Oh man the sour grapes

You guys would rather have us in a recession like Harper put us in lol
Last edited by mentalfloss; Sep 1st, 2018 at 12:33 AM..

OpposingDigit
Rent is considered GDP ..... so when your rent increases, the GDP rises.

Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Yer X was just sayin that..except she got the grammer more better.

Oh man the sour grapes

You guys would rather have us in a recession like Harper put us in lol

...or like the world wide recession YOU trumphaters want to get rid of trump.

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/...nt-debt-to-gdp

The real story.

MHz
If the growth was due to seasonal employment then there should be a contraction of about the same amount in Nov.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+1
A Major Recession Indicator Suggests Canada’s Economy Risks Hitting ‘Brick Wall’

Quote:

The Canadian economy has been on a hot streak recently, but a closely-watched indicator of tough times suggests the country may be in for an economic slowdown within the next two years.
The indicator that's flashing red is called the "yield curve," and it has to do with the interest paid on government debt.
What is a yield curve?
Like other governments, Canada issues bonds (i.e. borrows money) on the open market. Typically, buyers of those bonds demand a higher interest rate for long-term debt than for short-term debt.
That just makes sense: If you're going to lend for longer, you're taking a larger risk, so you demand more reward. This trend of interest rates rising for longer-term debt is called the "yield curve."
But sometimes, investors demand higher interest rates on short-term debt than on long-term debt. Analysts call this an "inverted yield curve," and it's taken very seriously because it's very good at predicting recessions.
In simplest terms, when the yield curve inverts, it means investors believe the economy will be weaker in the long run than it will be in the short run. They see trouble ahead.
And since these people are the investor class who control a great deal of the flow of capital through the economy, when they believe tough times are ahead, it tends to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Canada's yield curve hasn't inverted yet, but the chart below, from Bank of Montreal, shows it's rapidly heading in that direction.
Note how, when the spread turns negative, there is often a recession shortly after (the gray areas on the chart). Today the spread is clearly headed towards negative territory.
How reliable is the yield curve in predicting hard times?
According to numbers crunched by Bloomberg, since 1961 Canada's yield curve has inverted 15 times, and 10 of those times were followed by at least one quarter of economic contraction. So in essence, it has a 66 per cent chance of correctly predicting a downturn.

Hoid
Its pretty obvious that the US economy is going to do another face plant.

We will go down with them.

White_Unifier
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

Yer X was just sayin that..except she got the grammer more better.
...or like the world wide recession YOU trumphaters want to get rid of trump.

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/...nt-debt-to-gdp
The real story.

Trump and Trudeau are cut from the same cloth when it comes to economic policy. Any idiot can induce unsustainable economic growth through debt financing. The way both Trump and Trudeau have been borrowing like drunken sailors, it should come as no surprise that both of our economies are booming. The real question is, how sustainable is that boom over the long term? With Trump borrowing like an idiot, Canada should have taken advantage of that to cut spending and ride the wave of US growth while Canada pays down its debt.

petros
+1
GDP in the US has almost doubled. Why are we 0.1% shy of beating inflation?

Hoid
American GDP has almost doubled since 2000.

So has Canada's.

JamesBondo
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

If the growth was due to seasonal employment then there should be a contraction of about the same amount in Nov.

true.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

American GDP has almost doubled since 2000.
So has Canada's.

Thank you Mr. Harper

Hoid
For the $150 billion in debt?

Let your grand kids thank him.

Twin_Moose
Conservative
My Grandkids will be thanking Scheer for righting the ship

JamesBondo
that would have been 300 billion if the libs were in power.