Politically Correct leader who espouses positivity

Staffed with feminists and SJW types

Believe in human caused global warming, with a plan to reduce carbon emissions

Keeping government the same size and just as involved

Immigration policy is the same, just worded differently

No divergence on policy to deal with First Nations

No plan to significantly reduce taxes

Maintaining supply management and supporting NAFTA

Definitely not a vote for change, that's for sure.

Even if they win the next election, Trudeau's influence will be felt for decades.
Last edited by mentalfloss; Aug 24th, 2018 at 07:32 AM..

Walter
+2
Another thread title 180 degrees from reality.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Another thread title 180 degrees from reality.

I've been told that if you -1 it, it makes you right and everyone will believe you.

But that's okay Walt.

You just stick with the Conservatives and continue to be angwy.

JamesBondo
+3
Another pathetic thread from flossy where he thinks that he is a legend.

mentalfloss
By all means, vote for the Liberal Light.

Colpy
Conservative
+6
#6  Top Rated Post
I am a Conservative Party member, I supported Bernier for leader, I agree with his views on diversity and supply management.
But there is room in the party for Bernier, and the main goal should be to destroy Trudeau and his incompetent, dangerous gov't. To do that we need to be a "big tent" party, that attracts people with differing views.
You don't always get your way Max.
What this episode demonstrated is twofold:
First, I was wrong to vote for Bernier, as he is obviously a manipulative, narcissistic, weasel of a man. And not very bright. He is not fit to be an MP, much less leader of a party.
Secondly, Scheer is much the superior political strategist. It is now obvious that Bernier wanted Scheer to kick him out, so he could claim there is no room for people that support his ideas in the party. But Scheer did not take the bait, demonstrating there was room in the party for a variety of views. Kudos to Scheer.
The party made the right choice in the leadership fight.
If Bernier gets this idiotic idea off the ground, and attracts just a tiny percentage of conservative voters, Trudeau will rule this country for another 8 or 12 years. By that time it will be irreparable.
Shame on you Max.
Shame.

mentalfloss
Welcome to the fold, Colpy.

Why I Am Leaving the Conservative Party of Canada

I am in politics to defend ideas, real conservative ideas. Because I passionately care about Canada’s future. Because I know that the free-market conservative philosophy has the best solutions to ensure our society is more prosperous, secure, and peaceful.

However, my party’s stand on several issues have convinced me that under the current leadership, it has all but abandoned its core conservative principles.

More importantly, supply management has become one of the main stumbling blocks to an agreement with the United States on NAFTA. Former Conservative leaders Brian Mulroney and Rona Ambrose agree that it should be put on the table.

But the Conservative Party has been siding with the Liberal government. It also supports the retaliatory tariffs of the Liberal government, even though this is going to hurt our businesses and consumers. Even though Canada has no realistic chance of winning a trade war with a neighbour ten times larger. Even though we could successfully relaunch the negotiations if we put supply management on the table, and if we accept President Trump’s offer to negotiate a dismantling of all barriers, as the European Union has done.

The Liberals are playing politics with this crucially important trade file. They are endangering the 20% of our economy that depends on trade with the U.S., and Canada’s future prosperity.

But instead of leading as a principled Conservative and defending the interests of Canada and Canadians, Andrew Scheer is following the Trudeau Liberals.
I was told that internal polls are showing that the Liberals’ response to Trump is popular. And that in six months, if the polls change, the party’s stand may change too.

The same thing happened in reaction to my tweets on diversity and multiculturalism. This is another crucial debate for the future of our country. Do we want to emphasize our ethnic and religious differences, and exploit them to buy votes, as the Liberals are doing? Or emphasize what unites us and the values that can guarantee social cohesion?

Just like in other Western societies grappling with this issue, a large number of Canadians, and certainly the vast majority of Conservatives, are worried that we are heading in the wrong direction. But it’s not politically correct to raise such questions.

Instead of leading the debate and pushing back against all the unfair accusations, Andrew Scheer chose to avoid the controversy. He and several of my colleagues disavowed me.

They are so afraid of criticism by the Left and the media that they prefer to let down millions of supporters across the country who would like us to tackle this issue.

When the Liberal government recently renewed the unfair and inefficient equalization formula for another five years, I was the only one to criticize it. Not a word from my Conservative colleagues.

A Conservative party that supports free markets should also advocate the end of corporate welfare. It is not only the principled thing to do, it could also be popular if we defend it in a consistent way. Canadians are tired of paying taxes to bail out Bombardier, Ford and other businesses.

Instead of taking up this idea, Andrew Scheer announced that he would name a regional minister for all the regional development agencies in the country, as opposed to having only one minister overseeing them as is the case now.

He wants a minister from Quebec to distribute subsidies to Quebec, a minister from Atlantic Canada to distribute subsidies to Atlantic Canada, and so on.

The conservative solution should be to abolish these wasteful agencies. What my party proposes is to make them more efficient at buying votes with taxpayers’ money.

How can we expect this party to adopt any conservative reform when it comes to power, if it cannot even articulate a clear stand and defend them before it is elected?

I am now convinced that what we will get if Andrew Scheer becomes prime minister is just a more moderate version of the disastrous Trudeau government.

I have come to realize over the past year that this party is too intellectually and morally corrupt to be reformed.

I know for a fact that many in the caucus privately oppose supply management. But buying votes in a few key ridings is more important than defending the interests of all Canadians.

The whole strategy of the party is to play identity politics, pander to various interest groups and buy votes with promises, just like the Liberals.

The Conservative Party tries to avoid important but controversial issues of concern to Conservatives and Canadians in general. It is afraid to articulate any coherent philosophy to support its positions.

Every public declaration is tested with polls and focus groups. The result is a bunch of platitudes that don’t offend anybody, but also don’t mean anything and don’t motivate anyone.

Andrew Scheer keeps talking about his “positive Conservative vision.” But nobody knows what that vision is.

The Conservative Party has abandoned conservatives. It does not represent them anymore. And it has nothing of substance to offer Canadians looking for a political alternative.

If we want conservative principles to win the battle of ideas, we have to defend them openly, with passion and conviction.

That is what I want to do. And this is why as of today, I am no longer a member of the Conservative Party of Canada. I want to do politics differently. I will find another way to give a voice to millions of Canadians. And I will continue to fight for Freedom, Responsibility, Fairness and Respect.

Why I Am Leaving the Conservative Party of Canada - Maxime Bernier
Last edited by mentalfloss; Aug 24th, 2018 at 08:37 AM..

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1 / -1
If a party wants to form a government in Canada, it dares not stray too far from the political center. Our system would not function in the sort of hyperpolarized environment that the Americans have built for themselves. The Westminster system forces us to build consensus.

mentalfloss
I wouldn't say it's the Westminster system so much as a political arrangement that doesn’t take into account proportional representation, so it clamps down a bit on the number of parties.

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

I wouldn't say it's the Westminster system so much as a political arrangement that doesn’t take into account proportional representation, so it clamps down a bit on the number of parties.

One leads to the other. Rep by pop sounds good on paper but places like Alberta will end up politically weaker as the reality of Canadian demographics dumps all of the power into Ontario and Quebec.
Last edited by Curious Cdn; Aug 24th, 2018 at 08:59 AM..

mentalfloss
Makes sense though.

If more people live in one particular territory, then it's more democratic for that territory to have more influence.

It's not democratic to draw up lines of influence based on arbitrary geography.

Curious Cdn
Conservative

Makes sense though.

If more people live in one particular territory, then it's more democratic for that territory to have more influence.

It's not democratic to draw up lines of influence based on arbitrary geography.

It is necessary to build consensus. Oliver Cromwell made sense but he couldn't lead a country without an army of thugs.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

I am a Conservative Party member, I supported Bernier for leader, I agree with his views on diversity and supply management.
But there is room in the party for Bernier, and the main goal should be to destroy Trudeau and his incompetent, dangerous gov't. To do that we need to be a "big tent" party, that attracts people with differing views.
First, I was wrong to vote for Bernier, as he is obviously a manipulative, narcissistic, weasel of a man. And not very bright. He is not fit to be an MP, much less leader of a party.
Secondly, Scheer is much the superior political strategist. It is now obvious that Bernier wanted Scheer to kick him out, so he could claim there is no room for people that support his ideas in the party. But Scheer did not take the bait, demonstrating there was room in the party for a variety of views. Kudos to Scheer.
If Bernier gets this idiotic idea off the ground, and attracts just a tiny percentage of conservative voters, Trudeau will rule this country for another 8 or 12 years. By that time it will be irreparable.
Shame on you Max.
Shame.

What took you so long?

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

It is necessary to build consensus. Oliver Cromwell made sense but he couldn't lead a country without an army of thugs.

Who?

Anyway, we've veered off the point but generally speaking, you have a greater variety of parties with proportional representation.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

What took you so long?

He didn't have access to his email while on vacation.

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+2
Anyway, we've veered off the point but generally speaking, you have a greater variety of parties with proportional representation.

It would be like the Israeli system or even worse, the Italian system in which the only way that you can form a government is to build a coalition of multiple parties. Small ones that hold the balance of seats can blackmail the others, like the extreme religious right does in Israel.. Those coalitions are inherently unstable and in the case of Italy, it is unusual for a government to last the year. If you like short-lived, unstable governments run by agressive minorities, go for it. That would split this country up into little pieces in no time flat.

Liberalman
Free Thinker
All progressive Conservative members will join Maxim's party because they just are tired of the Conservative party muzzle that the Reform wing of the CPC forced them to wear. It wil be nice to see two Conservative parties again for the 2019 federal elections

Hoid
I also miss the Reform Party.

They were Trump before Trump was cool

darkbeaver
Republican
+3

Shame on you Max.
Shame.

Treudeau rules nothing, his masters are not Canadian, nor even fully human in the common sence of the word.

mentalfloss
Maxime Bernier retains grassroots Tory support after diversity comments

The interviews with The Globe suggest Mr. Bernier, who came second in last year’s leadership race, still enjoys widespread support in the party.

“Andrew Scheer’s comments made him look small,” said Bill Eva, president of the Charleswood-St. James-Assiniboia-Headingley riding in Manitoba. “His response to what Maxime Bernier said is making it difficult for people to be a supporter of Andrew Scheer. People have come up and told me that.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...-remaining-in/

spilledthebeer
+2

Even if they win the next election, Trudeau's influence will be felt for decades.

Flossy ignores this stuff: That Sheer has spoken against radicals taking over colleges!!!!!!!! Having women on staff does not mean they are radical feminazis- unless they are LIE-berals like Hedy Fry and Iqra Khalid!!!!!!!!!! The quickest way to reduce global warming- AND save our economy is to get civil service union Hogs OFF airplanes- by freezing their wages till Hell freezes over! Airplanes are PROVEN the dirtiest way to travel- bar NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE are over governed with to many spin doctors and consultants to censor thuth and reality!!!!!!!! We endure masses of Fake News as LIE-berals try to make us believe they are working for US!!!! We can easily dispose of many public relations types!!!!!!!! Taxes CANNOT be significantly reduced thanks to the immense DEBTS that LIE-berals have saddled us with- and which MUST be paid back! Maintaining “supply management” means making sure we have some agriculture in Canada and are not held hostage over food supplies from California!!!!!!!!!

Mowich
Conservative
+4

"...Trudeau's influence will be felt for decades." Oh for sure, mf. People will be flocking to buy the same socks, costumes and party-wear as The Great Enabler. And that, is where his influence will begin and END.

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

"...Trudeau's influence will be felt for decades." Oh for sure, mf. People will be flocking to buy the same socks, costumes and party-wear as The Great Enabler. And that, is where his influence will begin and END.

Value Village has Tudeau Halloween costumes.

Buy early to avoid disappointment.

Decapoda
+2

Shame on you Max.
Shame.

Well said!!! Couldn't agree more!

The only thing I am waiting for...and hoping for, is more of a presence and voice from Scheer. Someone needs to ask some tough questions of Trudeau, his immigration policies, his economic policies, his international relations and trade policies...he seems to be getting a free pass from the opposition right now and many Canadians, myself included, feel there isn't a strong voice of opposition representing them. Scheer needs to correct this, not just for the support of conservatives, but for the support of the average Canadian.

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Decapoda View Post

Well said!!! Couldn't agree more!

The only thing I am waiting for...and hoping for, is more of a presence and voice from Scheer. Someone needs to ask some tough questions of Trudeau, his immigration policies, his economic policies, his international relations and trade policies...he seems to be getting a free pass from the opposition right now and many Canadians, myself included, feel there isn't a strong voice of opposition representing them. Scheer needs to correct this, not just for the support of conservatives, but for the support of the average Canadian.

Tread carefully. If the Canadian public gets even a faint whiff of Alt-Right, it's the politcal wilderness for the Conservatives for a long, long time. It is nothing more than a marginal, fringe movememt in this country. You may surround yourselves with like minded Alt-Right types and build the illusion that you are everywhere but you ain't.

mentalfloss
The stink is just gettin stinkier lol

Conservatives' reaction typical of losers, Maxime Bernier says

OTTAWA -- Newly independent MP Maxime Bernier says the personal attacks on his character by his former Conservative colleagues are typical of losers.

In an interview with Evan Solomon, host of CTV's Question Period, to be aired at 2:30 p.m. EST on Bell Media stations, Bernier says the party knows most conservatives agree with him.

"They know that and they don't have the courage to do these reforms. They don't have the courage to speak about that. And they cannot fight me on real issues," Bernier said on the Evan Solomon Show.

"Now they're going to personal attacks. It's typical of a loser. The losers are doing that. They don't want to have real debate."

Bernier surprised the Canadian political world Thursday when he announced he was leaving the federal Conservatives to start his own party.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politi...r&_gsc=0OMmY0N

justlooking
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Tread carefully. If the Canadian public gets even a faint whiff of Alt-Right, it's the politcal wilderness for the Conservatives for a long, long time. It is nothing more than a marginal, fringe movememt in this country. You may surround yourselves with like minded Alt-Right types and build the illusion that you are everywhere but you ain't.

In that case what exactly is the difference between the Liberals and Conservatives, if they both play the PC game all the time ?

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

All progressive Conservative members will join Maxim's party because they just are tired of the Conservative party muzzle that the Reform wing of the CPC forced them to wear.

And you would know this cuz yer a Lib.

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by justlooking View Post

In that case what exactly is the difference between the Liberals and Conservatives, if they both play the PC game all the time ?

Both have to hang around the center if they want to form governments in this country. This is not a sign of weakness for either of them. It tells us that there is a broad consensus in Canada about how most Canadians wish to be governed ... one that's missing from our next door neighbour's political quagmire. If your particular political hobby horse is not being ridden by either, perhaps you are out of step with your own culture ... and tough luck.

petros
+1
Keep this in mind, Scheer beat Bernier in his own riding in the leadership vote.

mentalfloss
Scheer won the leadership by less than a percent.