Heat wave smashes records around the world — a look at the sizzling temperatures


mentalfloss
+1
#1
Cue the usually excuses from the conbots and Trumptards.


Heat wave smashes records around the world — a look at the sizzling temperatures

A persistent heat wave is gripping parts of the Northern Hemisphere and smashing weather records in Canada, the United States, Europe and the Middle East.

The scorching sun has brought deadly temperatures to some cities; in Montreal, 11 people have died in connection with the ongoing heat wave, according to city officials.

“This has been a prolonged and intense heat event across Eastern Canada,” Global News meteorologist Ross Hull said. “This has been the hottest stretch of weather in more than a decade and record-high temperatures have been shattered, especially in Montreal where record-high temperatures dating back to 1963 were broken on July 1 and 2.”

Here is a look at the sweltering temperatures around the world.


North America

A heat wave blanketing parts of Canada and the northeastern United States has prompted many cities to issue heat warnings and health officials have set up drop-in cooling centres.

In southern Ontario, the humidex in Ottawa on Canada Day was 47, the highest recorded for the city. On Monday, the heat and humidity made it feel closer to 41.

And Montreal reached a record 37 C on July 2. Montreal health officials blamed the heavy heat and humidity for at least 11 deaths in recent days.


Europe

Scotland recorded its highest temperatures ever at the end of June. On June 28, a temperature of 33.2 C in Motherwell broke a record set back in 2003. It was so hot in Glasgow that some of the weatherproof membrane on the roof of a science centre melted and oozed down the building.

Last month was the warmest June on record in Northern Ireland and Wales, and the fourth warmest in Scotland and England, according to Sky News.

In southern Russia, temperatures soared to 37 C in Rostov-On-Don, where some of the FIFA World Cup matches are taking place.


Middle East

The Middle East is also breaking weather records. Last week in Quriyat located on Oman’s northeast coast, a new world temperature record was reached. The temperature in the village remained above 42.6 C for 51 straight hours, making it the highest nightly low temperature observed on Earth’s surface, according to the Weather Network.


What’s causing the prolonged heat waves?

Heat waves are nothing new. But the duration and extremeness are linked to climate change, according to Blair Feltmate, a University of Waterloo climate scientist.

“All the predictions illustrate that going forward in Canada, things are going to be hotter, wetter and wilder,” he said. “It’s not any particular year that matters. What matters is the overall, the long-term trend.”

Globally, the world’s average annual temperature is 1 C warmer than it was a century ago, Feltmate added.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4311444/h...the-world/amp/
 
Walter
+1
#2
Wolf!
 
mentalfloss
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Wolf!

Excuse #1
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#4
I like the global warming "debate." It distills political discourse down to its essence.

People line up on either side of an issue, according to their emotional quirks, and then start throwing cherry-picked facts at each other. The nice thing about "global warming" is the cherry-picked facts tend to be single numbers.

People like mentalfloss see every warm spell as proof positive of their entire position (I'd call it a theory, but it really don't deserve that name), and folk on the other side will see every cold snap as proof of theirs.

And each side will utterly ignore, or disparage, the other side's data.

Because the one and only thing the two sides agree on is they don't want to figure out what's going on. They want to win.
 
Danbones
+3
#5
Actually that is totally incorrect

This is about creating a boogie man in order to force slavery on smart people using the dumbed down peeps. ( like using Muslim illegal immigrants to topple the EU...or central american illegal immigrants to topple the US. )

Maurice Strong was a tyrannical COMMUNIST with nazi tendencies...like his followers all are.

Record warmth in summer, if true, (Its been proven enough times that part of the global warming scam is an OUTRIGHT DISHONESTY RE FACTS ) IS a prerequisite for a coming cold age.
(You need humidity in the atmosphere to create snow after all...)

Of course one would not expect a lawyer to do facts. That was a nice try to minimize them, but if I was the judge, I'd jail the lawyer for genocidal mopery - for the public good.

July 4, 2017 : Coldest July Temperature Ever Recorded In The Northern Hemisphere
Posted on July 5, 2017
Greenland just set the record for coldest July temperature ever reported in the Northern Hemisphere at -33C.
https://realclimatescience.com/2017/...land-meltdown/
Last edited by Danbones; Jul 5th, 2018 at 06:44 AM..
 
Jinentonix
+2
#6
Quote:

This has been a prolonged and intense heat event across Eastern Canada,”

Da fuq is he talking about? It hasn't even been a week yet.
 
Walter
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Da fuq is he talking about? It hasn't even been a week yet.

Wolf!
 
Curious Cdn
-1
#8
Fake news! The World is getting colder! The Greenland ice cap is getting thicker!

Random Internet Experts sez so!
 
DaSleeper
+1
#9
Cherry pickers on both sides non?
 
mentalfloss
#10
Cherry pick this:

Red-hot planet: All-time heat records have been set all over the world during the past week

 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Cherry pick this:

Why? You already did.
 
Twin_Moose
+3
#12
Solar vortex?
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Solar vortex?

Yep, I'm sellin' 'em cheap this week. Want one?
 
mentalfloss
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Solar vortex?

Excuse #2
 
Twin_Moose
+1
#15
Just using your excuse for cold snaps
 
Walter
#16
Wolf!
 
pgs
+3
#17
Looks like lots of bikinis and short shorts , don’t you just love summer ?
 
Twin_Moose
+2
#18
Didn't red hot Newfoundland just have a snowstorm?
 
Hoid
+1
#19
47 in Ottawa?

As a native Ontarian I would not like to experience that.
 
DaSleeper
+3
#20
Cold winter? Cause.....globul warming


Hot summer? cause.....globul warming


Can't looses....
 
mentalfloss
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

47 in Ottawa?

As a native Ontarian I would not like to experience that.

Well then we need to reduce our carbon emissions.

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Cold winter? Cause.....globul warming


Hot summer? cause.....globul warming


Can't looses....

Excuses #3 and #4
 
Buffy
+2
#22
Good Grief Mentalone, You're still convinced that the scientific consensus states that effect precedes cause! What pray tell is your excuse for this lunacy?
 
Tecumsehsbones
+3
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Buffy View Post

Good Grief Mentalone, You're still convinced that the scientific consensus states that effect precedes cause! What pray tell is your excuse for this lunacy?

He's a True Believer.

He also thinks science is a democracy.
 
bluebyrd35
+1
#24
So global change is going full swing......warmer summers and colder winters with every season running amuck somewhere and sometimes everywhere Unless the scientific weather gurus get their act together and explain what is happening because of human activity. the likelyhood many species will become endangered or extinct. Don't worry too much though, this old world has a penchance for eliminating many of the shit-disturbing species and conditions that threaten it's existance.

The girl guide and cub-scout motto is the one to be living by these days......_Be Prepared!
 
Buffy
+1 / -1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebyrd35 View Post

So global change is going full swing......warmer summers and colder winters with every season running amuck somewhere and sometimes everywhere Unless the scientific weather gurus get their act together and explain what is happening because of human activity. the likelyhood many species will become endangered or extinct. Don't worry too much though, this old world has a penchance for eliminating many of the shit-disturbing species and conditions that threaten it's existance.

The girl guide and cub-scout motto is the one to be living by these days......_Be Prepared!

bluebyrd35, you should back off a bit on your medication. That includes THC.
 
Decapoda
+1
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebyrd35 View Post

So global change is going full swing......warmer summers and colder winters with every season running amuck somewhere and sometimes everywhere Unless the scientific weather gurus get their act together and explain what is happening because of human activity. the likelyhood many species will become endangered or extinct. Don't worry too much though, this old world has a penchance for eliminating many of the shit-disturbing species and conditions that threaten it's existance.

The girl guide and cub-scout motto is the one to be living by these days......_Be Prepared!

So what's the big deal then? If you're right and the world balances itself by getting rid of the problem species, the problem is solved... with an added bonus that many global warming fanatics wish for, the reduction or extinction of the human race. If you're wrong and this is merely one of endless natural cycles of the earth, then there is no problem to begin with. Win win, right?

Of course, if it were that easy, we would then need to find another excuse to justify wealth transfer around the planet.
 
mentalfloss
#27
Global temperature rises could be double those predicted by climate modelling

Temperature rises as a result of global warming could eventually be double what has been projected by climate models, according to an international team of researchers from 17 countries.

Sea levels could also rise by six metres or more even if the world does meet the 2 degree target of the Paris accord.

The findings, published last week in Nature Geoscience, were based on observations of evidence from three warm periods in the past 3.5m years in which global temperatures were 0.5-2 degrees above the pre-industrial temperatures of the 19th century.

The researchers say they increase the urgency with which countries need to address their emissions.

The scientists used a range of measurements to piece together the impacts of past climatic changes to examine how a warmer earth would appear once the climate has stabilised.

They found sustained warming of one to two degrees had been accompanied by substantial reductions of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets and sea level rises of at least six metres – several metres higher than what current climate models predict could occur by 2100.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...mate-modelling
 
Buffy
+3
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Global temperature rises could be double those predicted by climate modelling

Temperature rises as a result of global warming could eventually be double what has been projected by climate models, according to an international team of researchers from 17 countries.

Sea levels could also rise by six metres or more even if the world does meet the 2 degree target of the Paris accord.

The findings, published last week in Nature Geoscience, were based on observations of evidence from three warm periods in the past 3.5m years in which global temperatures were 0.5-2 degrees above the pre-industrial temperatures of the 19th century.

The researchers say they increase the urgency with which countries need to address their emissions.

The scientists used a range of measurements to piece together the impacts of past climatic changes to examine how a warmer earth would appear once the climate has stabilised.

They found sustained warming of one to two degrees had been accompanied by substantial reductions of the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets and sea level rises of at least six metres – several metres higher than what current climate models predict could occur by 2100.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...mate-modelling

Inconvenient Science: NASA data show that global temperatures dropped sharply over the past two years. Not that you'd know it, since that wasn't deemed news. Does that make NASA a global warming denier?


Writing in Real Clear Markets, Aaron Brown looked at the official NASA global temperature data and noticed something surprising. From February 2016 to February 2018, "global average temperatures dropped by 0.56 degrees Celsius." That, he notes, is the biggest two-year drop in the past century.

"The 2016-2018 Big Chill," he writes, "was composed of two Little Chills, the biggest five month drop ever (February to June 2016) and the fourth biggest (February to June 2017). A similar event from February to June 2018 would bring global average temperatures below the 1980s average."

Isn't this just the sort of man-bites-dog story that the mainstream media always says is newsworthy?

In this case, it didn't warrant any news coverage.

In fact, in the three weeks since Real Clear Markets ran Brown's story, no other news outlet picked up on it. They did, however, find time to report on such things as tourism's impact on climate change, how global warming will generate more hurricanes this year, and threaten fish habitats, and make islands uninhabitable. They wrote about a UN official saying that "our window of time for addressing climate change is closing very quickly."

Reporters even found time to cover a group that says they want to carve President Trump's face into a glacier to prove climate change "is happening."

In other words, the mainstream news covered stories that repeated what climate change advocates have been saying ad nauseam for decades.


That's not to say that a two-year stretch of cooling means that global warming is a hoax. Two years out of hundreds or thousands doesn't necessarily mean anything. And there could be a reasonable explanation. But the drop in temperatures at least merits a "Hey, what's going on here?" story.

What's more, journalists are perfectly willing to jump on any individual weather anomaly — or even a picture of a starving polar bear — as proof of global warming. (We haven't seen any stories pinning Hawaii's recent volcanic activity on global warming yet, but won't be surprised if someone tries to make the connection.)

We've noted this refusal to cover inconvenient scientific findings many times in this space over the years.

Hiding The Evidence
There was the study published in the American Meteorological Society's Journal of Climate showing that climate models exaggerate global warming from CO2 emissions by as much as 45%. It was ignored.

Then there was the study in the journal Nature Geoscience that found that climate models were faulty, and that, as one of the authors put it, "We haven't seen that rapid acceleration in warming after 2000 that we see in the models."

Nor did the press see fit to report on findings from the University of Alabama-Huntsville showing that the Earth's atmosphere appears to be less sensitive to changing CO2 levels than previously assumed.

How about the fact that the U.S. has cut CO2 emissions over the past 13 years faster than any other industrialized nation? Or that polar bear populations are increasing? Or that we haven't seen any increase in violent weather in decades?

Crickets.

Reporters no doubt worry that covering such findings will only embolden "deniers" and undermine support for immediate, drastic action.

But if fears of catastrophic climate change are warranted — which we seriously doubt — ignoring things like the rapid cooling in the past two years carries an even bigger risk.

Suppose, Brown writes, the two-year cooling trend continues. "At some point the news will leak out that all global warming since 1980 has been wiped out in two and a half years, and that record-setting events went unreported."

He goes on: "Some people could go from uncritical acceptance of steadily rising temperatures to uncritical refusal to accept any warming at all."

Brown is right. News outlets should decide what gets covered based on its news value, not on whether it pushes an agenda. Otherwise, they're doing the public a disservice and putting their own already shaky credibility at greater risk.
 
White_Unifier
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

He's a True Believer.

He also thinks science is a democracy.

Believer or Belieber, or both?
 
mentalfloss
#30
Just the facts man.

Poor Buffy thinks a two year 'drop' is somehow convincing.

Deniers.

Just as dumb as Trumptards.
 

Similar Threads

36
A May Heat wave????
by #juan | May 1st, 2014
20
B.C. Heat Wave
by #juan | Jul 10th, 2007