Marijuana will be legal in September 2018

mentalfloss
+1
Just in time for school, y'all!

And if you don't like the price, you can grow your own.

Marijuana legalization Bill C-45 officially passes Senate vote, heading for royal assent

The Senate has voted to accept the latest version of the government’s long-debated legal marijuana legislation, paving the way for the bill to pass into Canadian law.

The Senate voted 52-29 to approve the government’s newest version of Bill C-45 on Tuesday evening.

Bill C-45 now moves to royal assent, the final step in the legislative process. That could occur within days at the government’s discretion. The government’s desire to see home grown marijuana permitted across Canada eventually prevailed, and a proposal from the Senate to allow provinces and territories to ban them has been stripped from the final bill.

“We have witnessed today a very historic vote that ends 90 years of prohibition, that’s historic. It ends 90 years of needless criminalization, it ends a prohibition model that inhibited and discouraged public health, and community health approaches in favour of ‘just say no.’ Approaches that simply failed our young people miserably,” independent Senator Tony Dean said after the vote.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4282677/p...te-passes/amp/

coldstream
My nephew is a case in point of the effect of this 'harmless', 'love' drug on young people. I use him as a reference point because he's such a nice kid when he's straight. He's polite, respectful, he listens, he's engaged and he's interesting. I can always tell when he's stoned because this alter ego emerges. He's rude, willfully obnoxious, in your face, disconnected and he's boring.

He's almost 30; he's been smoking daily since he was 16. And he has not gotten any traction at all in his life. He's not financially independent; has developed no family, career, trade. He's just drifting through life. He's become the Big Lebowski. Welcome to Justin Trudeau's space cadet academy. A lost generation looms.

AncientMuse
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Just in time for school, y'all!

And if you don't like the price, you can grow your own.

Marijuana legalization Bill C-45 officially passes Senate vote, heading for royal assent

The Senate has voted to accept the latest version of the government’s long-debated legal marijuana legislation, paving the way for the bill to pass into Canadian law.

The Senate voted 52-29 to approve the government’s newest version of Bill C-45 on Tuesday evening.

Bill C-45 now moves to royal assent, the final step in the legislative process. That could occur within days at the government’s discretion. The government’s desire to see home grown marijuana permitted across Canada eventually prevailed, and a proposal from the Senate to allow provinces and territories to ban them has been stripped from the final bill.

“We have witnessed today a very historic vote that ends 90 years of prohibition, that’s historic. It ends 90 years of needless criminalization, it ends a prohibition model that inhibited and discouraged public health, and community health approaches in favour of ‘just say no.’ Approaches that simply failed our young people miserably,” independent Senator Tony Dean said after the vote.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4282677/p...te-passes/amp/

Glad to see they finally got their poop in a group and made sure the legislation would be the same across the country.

It would make no sense to have different rules from one province to the next just because some asshat puritan politician in one province doesn't like the "devil's weed" and watches reruns of the 1930's movie "Reefer Madness" every Friday night to reassure themselves they're on the right side of Jesus.

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Well, this should destroy Canada.

No. . . wait. Gay marriage already destroyed Canada.

So, guys, what's it like living in a destroyed country?

Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

My nephew is a case in point of the effect of this 'harmless', 'love' drug on young people. I use him as a reference point because he's such a nice kid when he's straight. He's polite, respectful, he listens, he's engaged and he's interesting. I can always tell when he's stoned because this alter ego emerges. He's rude, willfully obnoxious, in your face, disconnected and he's boring.

He's almost 30; he's been smoking daily since he was 16. And he has not gotten any traction at all in his life. He's not financially independent; has developed no family, career, trade. He's just drifting through life. He's become the Big Lebowski. Welcome to Justin Trudeau's space cadet academy. A lost generation looms.

You're right! Canadian government policy should be based on "I know this guy. . ."

AncientMuse
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Well, this should destroy Canada.

No. . . wait. Gay marriage already destroyed Canada.

So, guys, what's it like living in a destroyed country?

Yeah...

Pot and gays freely running around the country...

Dear gawd ! Won't someone think of the children ?!

Not only are we at risk of catching "the gay" in this communist fascist hippy dippy pinko regime... now we're all going to be stoned when we catch it too !

[insert panic attack here]

mentalfloss
New reports saying the official date is October 17th.

petros
That was quick. Only 3 years.

mentalfloss
Whatabout Conservative tidewater pipelines?

petros
+1
Snap out of it, this is a weed thread.

mentalfloss
Oh you don't like that now.

White_Unifier
Great. foreign tourists will come to Canada, smell the stench of weed in our city streets, return home and tell family how Canada stinks... literally... and recommend other travel destinations. Not good for the travel industry.

On the other hand, potheads from around the world will come to Canada to stink the country up even more.

AncientMuse
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Great. foreign tourists will come to Canada, smell the stench of weed in our city streets, return home and tell family how Canada stinks... literally... and recommend other travel destinations. Not good for the travel industry.

On the other hand, potheads from around the world will come to Canada to stink the country up even more.

You should add a whole bunch of exclamation points to your post.

You know... to make sure your hyperbole gets a dose of sooper extra drama added in to ensure much needed emphasis.

Mowich
Conservative

Are you really silly enough to believe that people will 'flock' to Canada just to partake? I can't imagine anyone shelling out for a flights, hotel accommodations and meals just so they can vape weed or munch on some brownies.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by AncientMuse View Post

You should add a whole bunch of exclamation points to your post.

You know... to make sure your hyperbole gets a dose of sooper extra drama added in to ensure much needed emphasis.

I don't know if you ever visit downtown, but some parts stink already and the stuff isn't even legalized yet.

Walter
+1
Title of thread is a lie.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Are you really silly enough to believe that people will 'flock' to Canada just to partake?

I think WU has proved his silliness time and again.

White_Unifier
No sense of humour.

Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
+1
I bought an ounce from the shop on Spadina this past weekend.

They gave me a membership card and all.

Why wait till October when you can get it now?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

I bought an ounce from the shop on Spadina this past weekend.

They gave me a membership card and all.

Why wait till October when you can get it now?

Why are you so determined to fry your brain? My taxes will pay for it.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Title of thread is a lie.

Why are you so determined to fry your brain? My taxes will pay for it.

Because all taxes are theft, didn't ya know?

That's the liberscaredian creed.

Hoid
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

I can always tell when he's stoned because this alter ego emerges. He's rude, willfully obnoxious, in your face, disconnected and he's boring.

Not really sounding like someone smoking weed.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Because all taxes are theft, didn't ya know?

That's the liberscaredian creed.

How do we maintain government without taxes? Sure there are alternatives to taxes I suppose: fines, royalties, service fees, and tariffs (though tariffs are essentially just a different form of taxation). Which do you propose?

Danbones
Free Thinker

I don't know if you ever visit downtown, but some parts stink already and the stuff isn't even legalized yet.

So what's the problem with legalization then?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

So what's the problem with legalization then?

It'll spread the stench even more broadly.
Last edited by White_Unifier; Jun 20th, 2018 at 06:49 PM..

Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
Ah but the stench was already there, so legality has NOTHING to do with that.

Though the politician are still talking fertilizer...maybe that's what you smell.

Hoof Hearted
+1
You gotta shake your head though.

The government has demonized smokers of tobacco to the point where you are almost considered an evil person if you light up. And yet they're all tickety-boo with people inhaling weed. The double standard is laughable.

Danbones
Free Thinker
You can't tell the difference between the two health wise, THAT is the problem here.

ignorance is laughable when it comes to screwing with some else's medicine.

Too bad Smoking weed doesn't cause that...then you could stop it if you wanted to.

White_Unifier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post

You gotta shake your head though.

The government has demonized smokers of tobacco to the point where you are almost considered an evil person if you light up. And yet they're all tickety-boo with people inhaling weed. The double standard is laughable.

You can chew it all you want. Just don't let it reach my nostrils, that's all I care about.

Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
Sucking up too much of your own car exhaust all your life will make a person intolerant to anything nice.

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

Sucking up too much of your own car exhaust all your life will make a person intolerant to anything nice.

We need vehicles for work and business and vehicles consume fuel. We have little choice in that matter. Smoking or toking is a choice. Sure it might be a choice coerced by addiction, but a choice it is none-the-less and not something a person needs to do for health, work, business, or anything else. Plus, even if we choose to emphasize the addictive aspect, a person could still choose to vape (which is still an improvement) or eat or chew or drink (which is even better) as a way to get the addictive fix. vehicles don't have reasonably-priced alternatives yet.

If you must smoke or toke, then do it the privacy of your own home.