Trans Mountain ‘pipeline is going to get built’: Trudeau dismisses B.C.’s bitumen ban


mentalfloss
#1
Trans Mountain ‘pipeline is going to get built’: Trudeau dismisses B.C.’s bitumen ban

EDMONTON — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the Kinder Morgan oil pipeline expansion will happen despite British Columbia’s latest attempt to hinder the project.

Speaking on Edmonton talk radio station CHED on Thursday, Trudeau said the pipeline, which would take Alberta crude to the West Coast for shipment to Asian markets, is in the national interest and will go ahead.

“That pipeline is going to get built,” Trudeau said. “We will stand by our decision. We will ensure that the Kinder Morgan pipeline gets built.”

B.C.’s environment minister has said his minority government plans to ban increased shipments of diluted bitumen off the province’s coast until it can determine that shippers are prepared and able to properly clean up a spill.

The move has infuriated Alberta Premier Rachel Notley, who has accused B.C. of trying to change the rules after the federal government already gave the project the green light.

Trudeau said Canada needs to get Alberta’s oil safely to markets other than the United States. He said the federal government did the research and has spent billions on spill response.

“The Kinder Morgan pipeline is not a danger to the B.C. coast,” he said.

Trudeau said it’s normal for provinces to have differences of opinion and that’s why there is a federal government.

“One of the reasons we have a national government to oversee national interests is to step up for the interests of all Canadians and that’s exactly what I am going to do,” he said, without elaborating on what steps he might take.

Notley has threatened trade retaliation with B.C. if the shipping ban goes ahead. She held an emergency cabinet meeting Wednesday to discuss what legal and economic levers Alberta can pull in its spat with its neighbour to the west. She specifically mentioned interprovincial trade in electricity.

Trans Mountain
 
Hoid
#2
It can get built (maybe) but you'll have to pump refined oil through it, not that diluted bitumen shit.

We have to know if you can even clean that shit up
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
-4
#3
That is declaration of war against the people of BC, especially our native people. This is going to cause blood shed. Fukk tar sands. Pump it east if you must. We don't want that shit fowling up our water, soil and air.
 
petros
+4
#4
Bitumen?

Clueless f-ck.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

That is declaration of war against the people of BC, especially our native people. This is going to cause blood shed. Fukk tar sands. Pump it east if you must. We don't want that shit fowling up our water, soil and air.

The AB and SK Injuns that invested in oil disagree.
 
Colpy
Conservative
+7
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote:

Trans Mountain ‘pipeline is going to get built’: Trudeau dismisses B.C.’s bitumen ban

Then why didn't he disallow the BC bill?

That might be a bit much, as it has not been used since the 40s, but it is what I would have done.

According to the constitution, inter-provincial transportation of goods is solely a federal area of power.

If they want it built, just build it.

No one has the authority to impede them. The feds that is.

If this was what we did in 1870, we'd still be waiting for the railroad because of idiots.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

It can get built (maybe) but you'll have to pump refined oil through it, not that diluted bitumen shit.

We have to know if you can even clean that shit up

The BC gov't has exactly NO authority on the matter.
 
Durry
+2
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

That is declaration of war against the people of BC, especially our native people. This is going to cause blood shed. Fukk tar sands. Pump it east if you must. We don't want that shit fowling up our water, soil and air.

Like you, the people of BC are completely clueless, it's a good thing they get oil revenue to help them with their drug problems.

All you have to do is to hand out some BC Bud, and they will help you build the pipeline
 
Hoid
+1 / -1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Then why didn't he disallow the BC bill?

That might be a bit much, as it has not been used since the 40s, but it is what I would have done.

According to the constitution, inter-provincial transportation of goods is solely a federal area of power.

If they want it built, just build it.

No one has the authority to impede them. The feds that is.

If this was what we did in 1870, we'd still be waiting for the railroad because of idiots.



The BC gov't has exactly NO authority on the matter.

You're wrong.
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
+2
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by avro24 View Post

Ugh.

Pipelines are better than rail.

The end.

Ask anyone in Lac Megantic ... and some other communities coming to you soon.
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
#9
BC gets a double whammy of shit from bitumen pumped here. One on land and the other at sea with increased tanker traffic. We stand to lose every bit of our environment. Pipe lines always leak and one tanker spill due to heavy traffic will destroy our coast and fisheries. You want to choke on this crap, you take it. This is insane to ram this down our throats. If you think this is going to happen without a fight, you need to pull your heads out of your collective asses. We don't need this crap. It is all for export and will only benefit Big Oil, not you, me or anybody else. Fukk people are stupid.
 
Hoid
+1 / -1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Then why didn't he disallow the BC bill?

That might be a bit much, as it has not been used since the 40s, but it is what I would have done.

According to the constitution, inter-provincial transportation of goods is solely a federal area of power.

If they want it built, just build it.

No one has the authority to impede them. The feds that is.

If this was what we did in 1870, we'd still be waiting for the railroad because of idiots.



The BC gov't has exactly NO authority on the matter.

The BC government has the authority and the responsibility to protect BC.

Pipelines are better than rail is not an argument for pipelines.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+2
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Trans Mountain ‘pipeline is going to get built’: Trudeau dismisses B.C.’s bitumen ban

EDMONTON — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the Kinder Morgan oil pipeline expansion will happen despite British Columbia’s latest attempt to hinder the project.

Speaking on Edmonton talk radio station CHED on Thursday, Trudeau said the pipeline, which would take Alberta crude to the West Coast for shipment to Asian markets, is in the national interest and will go ahead.

“That pipeline is going to get built,” Trudeau said. “We will stand by our decision. We will ensure that the Kinder Morgan pipeline gets built.”

B.C.’s environment minister has said his minority government plans to ban increased shipments of diluted bitumen off the province’s coast until it can determine that shippers are prepared and able to properly clean up a spill.

The move has infuriated Alberta Premier Rachel Notley, who has accused B.C. of trying to change the rules after the federal government already gave the project the green light.

Trudeau said Canada needs to get Alberta’s oil safely to markets other than the United States. He said the federal government did the research and has spent billions on spill response.

“The Kinder Morgan pipeline is not a danger to the B.C. coast,” he said.

Trudeau said it’s normal for provinces to have differences of opinion and that’s why there is a federal government.

“One of the reasons we have a national government to oversee national interests is to step up for the interests of all Canadians and that’s exactly what I am going to do,” he said, without elaborating on what steps he might take.

Notley has threatened trade retaliation with B.C. if the shipping ban goes ahead. She held an emergency cabinet meeting Wednesday to discuss what legal and economic levers Alberta can pull in its spat with its neighbour to the west. She specifically mentioned interprovincial trade in electricity.

Trans Mountain

Good. Horgan will soon be gone anyway.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

It can get built (maybe) but you'll have to pump refined oil through it, not that diluted bitumen shit.

We have to know if you can even clean that shit up

Try education yourself.
 
Hoid
#12
yes god help the political that actually does something the people want him to do.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+4
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Bitumen?

Clueless f-ck.



The AB and SK Injuns that invested in oil disagree.

SO do all the bands along the Eagle Spirit line.
The only tribes that are against it are the ones that will not make any money off the pipeline because they are not on the route.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

yes god help the political that actually does something the people want him to do.

What the people that work and pay taxes want is pipelines and refineries. What the freeloaders want or don't want is of no concern to us.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

BC gets a double whammy of shit from bitumen pumped here. One on land and the other at sea with increased tanker traffic. We stand to lose every bit of our environment. Pipe lines always leak and one tanker spill due to heavy traffic will destroy our coast and fisheries. You want to choke on this crap, you take it. This is insane to ram this down our throats. If you think this is going to happen without a fight, you need to pull your heads out of your collective asses. We don't need this crap. It is all for export and will only benefit Big Oil, not you, me or anybody else. Fukk people are stupid.

It is not being rammed down anyone's throats. We have been pushing for this for decades. Soon we will be drilling off the west coast as well. SO me thing I have been waiting for since I was in high school only now I will be too old to work it.
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Bitumen?

Clueless f-ck.

There you go, again, tarring everyone with the same brush.
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+2
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

The BC government has the authority and the responsibility to protect BC.

Pipelines are better than rail is not an argument for pipelines.

The BC government has the authority and the duty to do what is best for BC taxpayers. Clearly long term good paying jobs is in the taxpayer's best interest. IF you don't like it nothing is stopping you from moving to Quebec where living off the taxpayer is a lifestyle choice.
 
Curious Cdn
Conservative
+1
#16
I think that Alberta should have a huffy-snit and separate! ... from EVERYBODY! ... because everybody else is a MEANY!!
 
Hoid
#17
The NDP have got to stop the pipeline or they lose the support of the Green party which means the lose the government.
 
justfred99
+3
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

The BC government has the authority and the duty to do what is best for BC taxpayers. Clearly long term good paying jobs is in the taxpayer's best interest. IF you don't like it nothing is stopping you from moving to Quebec where living off the taxpayer is a lifestyle choice.

Would it be OK for the BC NDP government to quit taking a S_it in the Pacific Ocean? Victoria still dump their raw sewage in the ocean and no body cares. Maybe the Premier should be forced to swim in the ocean, near one of the outlets in the ocean. Alternately, get a commitment that the BC government and First Nations do not like pipelines. Then tell them they had better go home and buck up some wood tonight. We will be there tomorrow to remove the pipeline that delivers natural gas to their house. Oh, they will have to walk home as they cannot drive as their vehicle will likely have a pipeline taking gasoline to the engine.
 
Danbones
Free Thinker
#19
If you want to know how the other guy feels, walk a ( a bunch of ) miles in his moccasins.

or put THAT in your pipe line and smoke it!
 
Twin_Moose
Conservative
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

BC gets a double whammy of shit from bitumen pumped here. One on land and the other at sea with increased tanker traffic. We stand to lose every bit of our environment. Pipe lines always leak and one tanker spill due to heavy traffic will destroy our coast and fisheries. You want to choke on this crap, you take it. This is insane to ram this down our throats. If you think this is going to happen without a fight, you need to pull your heads out of your collective asses. We don't need this crap. It is all for export and will only benefit Big Oil, not you, me or anybody else. Fukk people are stupid.

Has there been a problem with Trans Mountain 1 that leads you to believe 2 will be worse?
 
petros
+1
#21
TMPL1 causes Psychosis. That's a biggie.
 
B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
+1
#22
Why doesn’t he pump it East and dismiss the Mayor of Montreal.., that’d be kool
 
petros
+1
#23
There is a pro pipeline mayor in MTL now.
 
Twin_Moose
Conservative
+2
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Why doesn’t he pump it East and dismiss the Mayor of Montreal.., that’d be kool

Yep I agree we need it that way too, one to ship to the Asian market and one to ship to the European market
 
petros
+1
#25
Oil from dictorships is what floats Trudeau's boat.
 
Twin_Moose
Conservative
+2
#26
Maybe that is how Saudi is paying for the armored vehicle deal
 
petros
+1
#27
I wouldn't be surprised but it doesn't explain Venezuela.
 
Hoid
+1
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Has there been a problem with Trans Mountain 1 that leads you to believe 2 will be worse?

There have been many problems in the past as there will be many problems in the future.

Apparently there is no definitive research into the nature of bitumen spills. It seems prudent to limit this now, with an eye on eliminating it completely in the future if we discover the problem to be too dangerous
 
petros
+1
#29
Nobody is piping bitumen anywhere you f-cking half wit, low watt morons.
 
Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+2
#30
What a sack of shit Trudeau is. Pipelines for China! But an eastern flow pipeline? Fugget about it.
This is pretty f*cked when you think about it. Trudeau is going to run roughshod over BC's "social licence" to supply oil to a "basic dictatorship" while not running roughshod on Quebec and Montreal in order to keep importing oil from a theocratic, fascist state that is also the largest exporter and supporter of Islamic terrorism on the planet.