Proposed ’Explosions’ name for CFL team touches off fiery debate online
Canadian Press
More from Canadian Press
Published:
January 29, 2018
Updated:
January 29, 2018 8:19 AM EST
(@CFLinHalifax)
HALIFAX — A proposed name for a prospective CFL team in Halifax is touching off an explosive debate on social media.
On Twitter, CFL in Halifax pitched the idea of calling the football team the Halifax Explosions — a reference to the devastating explosion in the Halifax harbour in 1917 that killed about 2,000 people.
The group enthusiastically promoted the moniker, saying that 100 years ago “a force was unleashed that made this city stronger, bigger, and more united than ever before.”
It didn’t take long for people to register their disapproval.
One person slammed the idea, saying, “You want to profit off the deaths of 2,000 people? It’s in really poor taste,” while another tweeted, “I grew up in Dartmouth and this is an absolutely asinine idea.”
The league has confirmed it has been in talks with a “professional, enthusiastic and impressive” group of prospective owners rallying for a Halifax franchise.

Proposed

Hoof Hearted
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
I resent the name of Ottawa's soccer team. They're called 'The Ottawa Fury'.

I'm in anger management counselling, and the name upsets me greatly.

Curious Cdn
+1 / -1
"Halifax Explosions" is a sick idea. The "Pearl Harbor Bombers" ... The "New York 9/11s" ... the "Nagasaki Nukes" ... The possibilities are endless.

Hoof Hearted
+1
The Ottawa Yummies?

I guess naming a sports team from Picton... 'The Mass-Murdering Pig Farmers'...would probably make some people a little edgy as well.

Danbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

"Halifax Explosions" is a sick idea. The "Pearl Harbor Bombers" ... The "New York 9/11s" ... the "Nagasaki Nukes" ... The possibilities are endless.

Funny YOU would think of them...

what's that mean?

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post

The Ottawa Yummies?

I guess naming a sports team from Picton... 'The Mass-Murdering Pig Farmers'...would probably make some people a little edgy as well.

You may have spelt "Big Pharma" wrong... ( the rest of it looks good though)

just sayin.
(I would have picked the "PICTON Bullies" myself, that would have worked well)

I'm thinkin' maybe the "OTTAWA Wallet Rape" might tax the peoples' patience a bit though.
ON the other hand, the "TORONTO chokers" is very fitting.
Last edited by Danbones; Jan 30th, 2018 at 06:39 AM..

Walter
+1 / -1

Halifax was not a terrorist attack or an act of war.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Halifax was not a terrorist attack or an act of war.

Actually, it was thought to be just that for the first while before they figured out what really happened, months later.

"Remember the Maine"? That statement sent the U.S. to war and it was a full century later that it was estsblished that the explosion on the Maine was from coal dust in a bunker.

Cannuck
+1

A more fitting comparison would be things like "Tsunami", "Senators", "Earthquake" or "Avalanche" which are all deadly or destructive but not (or meant to be) intentional acts of violence. All are actual team names.