Football - Week ?

Tecumsehsbones
So, this week I'm 1-1-1.

Saturday night the RougeBlacks lost to the Ti-Cats, 26-22. Boo.

Sunday morning Hertha Berlin drew Werder Bremen, 1-1. Yay(ish)

Sunday afternoon the Ravens crushed the Bengals, 20-0. Wahoo!

All in all, not a bad weekend. Just needed an Aussie match to round it out.

Blackleaf
FOOTBALL!

I've just spent the first day of my week's holiday off work at the National Football Museum in central Manchester. There are loads of old football shirts and trophies and balls and interactive videos telling you all about the history of the game. Then I went to the museum restaurant and ordered chicken in a basket and a pint of Carlsberg. I went into the gift shop and bought a replica 1980 Manchester United magazine for their match against Coventry City in November of that year and a tea towel with some famous players' faces on it from yesteryear.

coldstream
+1
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

So, this week I'm 1-1-1.

Geelong Cats meet Sydney Swans in a semi of the Grand Final on Sep. 15. I get tape delay.. sometimes. I know its more fun than the NFL, which has become ponderous, predictable and saturated with commercials and hyperbole.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

Geelong Cats meet Sydney Swans in a semi of the Grand Final on Sep. 15. I get tape delay.. sometimes. I know its more fun than the NFL, which has become ponderous, predictable and saturated with commercials and hyperbole.

Oh dear, coldstream, we're in complete agreement. Isn't that one of the signs of the Apocalypse?

I believe my football preferences, for exactly the reasons you state, are:

Aussie
Bundesliga
CFL
NFL

No hope of getting Gaelic here, and I've never been fond of rugby.

Just checked, looks like I'll be able to watch the Cats and the Swans.
Last edited by Tecumsehsbones; Sep 11th, 2017 at 01:03 PM..

coldstream
Good grief, t-bones,.. an agreement and a thumbs up... i had to look outside to check the sky hadn't turned pink and i'd been transported into some skewed, alternative universe. I returned the favour, although i do like Rugby Union.

petros

So, this week I'm 1-1-1.

Saturday night the RougeBlacks lost to the Ti-Cats, 26-22. Boo.

Sunday morning Hertha Berlin drew Werder Bremen, 1-1. Yay(ish)

Sunday afternoon the Ravens crushed the Bengals, 20-0. Wahoo!

You make picks I'll buy the tickets.

Sportselect - PRO-LINE

Blackleaf
The oldest known film footage of a football match: Blackburn Rovers vs West Bromwich Albion, 1898

http://vimeo.com/108880463

Johnnny
If the Bears can break even this year, i will consider that a win!!!

Blackleaf
They were the days when teams regularly used the 1-1-8 formation, with emphasis on all-out attack and little passing of the ball.

In the 1888-89 season, the first season of the Football League, mighty Preston North End - the Real Madrid of their day - came along and used the 2-3-5 formation, which proved an astounding success - they became the world's first-ever league champions, doing so without losing a single game, and also won the FA Cup without conceding a sinugke goal. They were christened "The Invincibles - as Arsenal also were when they also won the league without losing a game in 2004.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

They were the days when teams regularly used the 1-1-8 formation, with emphasis on all-out attack and little passing of the ball.

In the 1888-89 season, the first season of the Football League, mighty Preston North End - the Real Madrid of their day - came along and used the 2-3-5 formation, which proved an astounding success - they became the world's first-ever league champions, doing so without losing a single game, and also win the FA Cup without conceding a singke goal. They were christened "The Invincibles - as Arsenal also were when they also won the league without losing a game in 2004.

Preston North End was in Spain in the 1800s?

Blackleaf

Preston North End was in Spain in the 1800s?

No. It was, and still is, in Lancashire.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Looks like your Ravens have a bit of jetlag traveling to London. Still a close game. Only 43-0 in the 4th. *snicker*

(Go Steelers)

pgs
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Looks like your Ravens have a bit of jetlag traveling to London. Still a close game. Only 43-0 in the 4th. *snicker*

(Go Steelers)

Yes they are putting on quite the show . Steelers don't need much help this weekend .

Blackleaf
Crystal Palace still haven't scored a goal.

****ing useless twats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwzvPAhkpM8

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

(Go Steelers)

Not our best day, that's for sure. It's one of the maddening things about the Ravens. Good season, bad season, Super Bowl season, there will be at least two games where they fall apart completely.

Johnnny
Those Falcons are sure flying high.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

The Eagles aren't.

Tecumsehsbones

Well, falcons do that.

Johnnny

Well, falcons do that.

I hate being a Bears fan

Blackleaf
The Cherries are falling off the tree, the Hammers aren't doing much in the way of hammering and the Foxes haven't outfoxed anyone of late.

IdRatherBeSkiing

I hate being a Bears fan

You got lucky today. You just beat my steelers in OT.

petros
Fuuuuuuck! Roosevelt was knocked cold.

Danbones
Just to his ummm...knees...or did he land face first?

petros
On his back.

Blackleaf
Mark Hughes has been sacked as manager of Premier League Stoke City after they lost against League Two Coventry City in the Third Round of the FA Cup.

petros
+1
This is football not succer.

petros
Not when we are the the ones living in North America.

Yo0
Football. Hockey. Little Soccer too.

My interests.