Pentagon's Best-Kept Secret: F-35 Fighter Is Progressing Nicely

Locutus
If you pay any attention to media coverage of the F-35 fighter program, then you know the Pentagon’s biggest weapons program is “troubled” (to use the favored adjective of reporters). Flight tests are lagging, costs are skyrocketing, and overseas partners are beginning to get cold feet. So the Joint Strike Fighter, as it used to be called, is looking like another black eye for the Pentagon’s fouled up acquisition system, right?

Wrong. The reality is that for the third straight year flight tests are ahead of schedule, the cost to build each plane is falling fast, and international partners are so enthused that new customers are getting in line for the F-35 on a regular basis (South Korea will be next). So how come you don’t know any of this? The reason you don’t know it is that political appointees have decided they can score points with Congress by attacking their own program, and national media always lead with the most sensational information.

For instance, Pentagon officials recently disclosed that the cost of building and operating the F-35 had risen to $1.5 trillion — without mentioning that a third of that total is unprovable estimates of future inflation and two-thirds of supposed increases from the program baseline reflect changes in how costs are calculated rather than real increases. Officials also didn’t mention it would cost two or three times more to stick with the current fleet of fighters, given the cost of maintaining aging aircraft. Most news accounts just cited the trillion-dollar price-tag, preferring to stick with the “troubled program” theme. Easy to write, no thinking required.

There’s another side to this story, and it’s mostly positive. It helps explain why none of the three services receiving the plane is going to cancel its version and why none of the allies who signed on to the program when economies were stronger is now going to back out. F-35 is well on its way to being the most capable, cost-effective tactical aircraft in the history of warfare, and you can see that fact clearly reflected in how the flight-test program is progressing, the production cost is falling, and other countries are jockeying to get the plane.

full article here:

Pentagon's Best-Kept Secret: F-35 Fighter Is Progressing Nicely - Forbes

captain morgan
+2
Good article Loc

MapleDog
If true and the price go down,will Canada save on it,or will Canada be screwed paying the original inflated price?

mentalfloss
F-35 advertised cost: $15 Billion.
F-35 true cost: $25 Billion

Progress!

Colpy
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

F-35 advertised cost: $15 Billion.
F-35 true cost: $25 Billion

Progress!

In a fight, there is nothing more expensive than the world's third or fourth best fighter.

Oh, and we understand the NDP defense philosophy................white sheets for everyone!!!

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

In a fight, there is nothing more expensive than the world's third or fourth best fighter.

There will be a fight?

taxslave

There will be a fight?

Most definitely.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Most definitely.

Really.

Well this is news to me. Do we have any Canadian officials providing an analysis on the predictability of arctic conflict?

Locutus
+1

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

taxslave

Really.

Well this is news to me. Do we have any Canadian officials providing an analysis on the predictability of arctic conflict?

As long as we belong to the UN we will be involved in a conflict somewhere. And who can predict what may happen in the 20+ years we will own these things? Best to be prepared.

mentalfloss

As long as we belong to the UN we will be involved in a conflict somewhere. And who can predict what may happen in the 20+ years we will own these things? Best to be prepared.

Right, but the primary purpose for these jets is to protect the arctic, isn't it?

taxslave
+3
#13  Top Rated Post

Right, but the primary purpose for these jets is to protect the arctic, isn't it?

I thought it was to replace a fleet of CF18's that are close to be older than their pilots.

mentalfloss

I thought it was to replace a fleet of CF18's that are close to be older than their pilots.

Okay, I can go with that.

I think Canadians want the best value though, not the highest cost.

MapleDog

And the best is not necessarily the fastest,again the faster you go,the more likely you'll screwup and shoot the wrong target.

captain morgan

Maybe Costco sells at a discount of you buy bulk... We ought to look into that.

Quote: Originally Posted by MapleDog View Post

And the best is not necessarily the fastest,again the faster you go,the more likely you'll screwup and shoot the wrong target.

There's a name for the slowest jets out there... Target practice

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

There's a name for the slowest jets out there... Target practice

You make it sound like we're going to war with N. Korea.

captain morgan
+1

Are you one of those guys that wants a military, but only as long as they're equipped with sharp, pointy sticks?

MapleDog
+1

When we're going to war against camel riders.

mentalfloss

Are you one of those guys that wants a military, but only as long as they're equipped with sharp, pointy sticks?

Are you going to make a credible argument?

captain morgan

Are you going to make a credible argument?

Give me a serious response to comment towards and you'll receive a like response.

Locutus

Have you not kept up with this old news, ongoing, often posted-about story floss?

C'mon.

You (should) know exactly why they are being purchased.

And you know (as we all do) that one of weaknesses of this jet was purported to be poor avionics/communications/all weather arctic capabilities and as such it was being improved and worked-on.

Daryl Hall & John Oates - I Can't Go For That (No Can Do) - YouTube

mentalfloss
You want a serious response to this?

captain morgan
I respond in kind MF.

Kick out some 1/2 assed, rhetorical comment and you ought to expect the same.

mentalfloss

I respond in kind MF.

Kick out some 1/2 assed, rhetorical comment and you ought to expect the same.

Canadians wanting good value is rhetoric.

Gotcha.

You really need to keep up with this story, because, like most things, you have no idea.

captain morgan
A collection of your uber insightful commentary thus far:

There will be a fight?

Really.

MapleDog's excellent response deserves to be in here for illustration purposes.

Quote: Originally Posted by MapleDog View Post

When we're going to war against camel riders.

mentalfloss
Out of context quotes.

How ironic that you deliberately left out the one comment you were specifically replying to.

We all know about your underhanded tricks, cap.

captain morgan
Sorry MF, but the only thing that was out of context was your comments to the posts that were made.

mentalfloss

Sorry MF, but the only thing that was out of context was your comments to the posts that were made.

It's okay cap.

Maybe next time you'll include the quote you were specifically replying to. I'll post it again before you quickly run to edit out that post..

Post#16

--

Isn't it funny how you didn't include that comment in your Post#26?

Quick! Now's your chance to go edit it in!

The truth (and your lies) always come back to haunt you.

captain morgan
+1

Gotta book Flossy... Off to the Global Petroleum Show and bask in the uber-capitalism that will be rife throughout.

In the mean time:
It's been real and it's been fun.... But it hasn't been real fun