Green energy survey

View Poll Results: Would you go for it?
Yes 0 0%
No 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

petros
+1
#1  Top Rated Post
Would you allow an oil company to store oil in your driveway or garage with you floating the cost of the storage vessel, oil and up keep?

Have you figured out where I'm going with this?

Think whirlygigs, solar arrays and EV batteries.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Would you allow an oil company to store oil in your driveway or garage with you floating the cost of the storage vessel, oil and up keep?

Have you figured out where I'm going with this?

Think whirlygigs, solar arrays and EV batteries.

I'd love to pump oil out of my back yard and sell it to an oil company but the oil companies own the mineral rights to the (hypothetical) oil underneath me.

If I have a whirly gig that is generating electricity, I am the producer and I sell it to the utility. I can never be an oil producer. The system (and geology here!) do not allow it.

Twin_Moose
+1
Tough question Petros Oil and Gas will never do it without compensation payed long term, short term yes every favour given will be returned some how the way of the patch.

Green Energy is different in it's way of thinking take and forget

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I'd love to pump oil out of my back yard and sell it to an oil company but the oil companies own the mineral rights to the (hypothetical) oil underneath me.

If I have a whirly gig that is generating electricity, I am the producer and I sell it to the utility. I can never be an oil producer. The system (and geology here!) do not allow it.

But are you willing to pay 50 cents a KWh only to get a 6 cent credit per KWh when you are supplying the grid and be taxed on that credit as income?

If you produce it and use your EV battery to store it, you'll have to pay EV taxes on your own power that replaced taxes on gasoline and taxed on your credit as income.

Curious Cdn

But are you willing to pay 50 cents a KWh only to get a 6 cent credit per KWh when you are supplying the grid and be taxed on that credit as income?

At least, I control whether I sell to the utility. If oil miraculously started to bubble of out of my back yard, some trillionaire in Texas owns it (or owns the Calgary based company that claims to own it) and I am non-existent. I can sell my whirlygigawatts to a utility or I can disconnect from their grid and go it alone. My choice. I control the action, not some filthy rich foreigner who could care less if I live or die.

petros
Is producing part of the question or is it storage I'm aiming at?

Jinentonix
+1

At least, I control whether I sell to the utility. If oil miraculously started to bubble of out of my back yard, some trillionaire in Texas owns it (or owns the Calgary based company that claims to own it) and I am non-existent.

Mmmm not quite. Resources belong to the provincial govt. Any oil discovered in Ontario would be owned by the province who could then sell the mineral rights to someone in Calgary or wherever. But yeah, either way you'd probably still be non-existent. Just like all the people who protested having whirlygigs set up next to their properties only to have them go up anyway. After which the property tax assessment unit went around and told them that their properties have been devalued by as much as 50% because there's a whirlygig next to it.

petros
Land owners get a royalty cut and a yearly cheque for access.

I get paid for losses for the power and telecommunications right of ways across my property.

Curious Cdn

Land owners get a royalty cut and a yearly cheque for access.

I get paid for losses for the power and telecommunications right of ways across my property.

Landowners get paid for the minerals under their yards? Really?

Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Mmmm not quite. Resources belong to the provincial govt. Any oil discovered in Ontario would be owned by the province who could then sell the mineral rights to someone in Calgary or wherever. But yeah, either way you'd probably still be non-existent. Just like all the people who protested having whirlygigs set up next to their properties only to have them go up anyway. After which the property tax assessment unit went around and told them that their properties have been devalued by as much as 50% because there's a whirlygig next to it.

You should be able to sue the whirlygig neighbour for the loss.

Jinentonix

Landowners get paid for the minerals under their yards? Really?

You should be able to sue the whirlygig neighbour for the loss.

You should, but the Liberals left the objectors with zero recourse. And I mean zip, zilch, nada. The other issue is the Liberals completely ignore the international standards for turbine placement which is 2000m from any residential area or residence. Ontario figured a quarter of that distance was good enough, 550m. The hit to property values wouldn't even be an issue if it wasn't for that.

petros
Yes really. Whether the oil company pumps out 1 barrel or 1000 the yearly average pay out is $3000 per site.