SpaceX launches U.S. Air Force's X-37B super-secret space shuttle

spaminator
Marcia Dunn, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 10:14 AM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 07, 2017 10:27 AM EDT
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — SpaceX has launched the Air Force’s super-secret space shuttle.
An unmanned Falcon rocket blasted off Thursday from Florida’s Kennedy Space Center. It’s the fifth flight for one of these crewless mini shuttles, known as the X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle.
The two Air Force space planes have already logged a combined 5 1/2 years in orbit. But officials won’t say what the spacecraft are doing up there. The last mission lasted almost two years and ended with a May touchdown at the runway formerly used by NASA’s space shuttles.
As usual, SpaceX aims to land its leftover booster back at Cape Canaveral for eventual reuse.
This is the first time SpaceX has provided a lift for the experimental mini-shuttle.
In this image released by the US Air Force, the Air Force's X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle mission 4 lands at NASA 's Kennedy Space Center Shuttle Landing Facility in Florida, on May 7, 2017. (Handout/US Air Force)

[youtube]9M6Zvi-fFv4[/youtube]
SpaceX launches U.S. Air Force's X-37B super-secret space shuttle | Discovery |

Gilgamesh
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

Marcia Dunn, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Thursday, September 07, 2017 10:14 AM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 07, 2017 10:27 AM EDT
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — SpaceX has launched the Air Force’s super-secret space shuttle.
An unmanned Falcon rocket blasted off Thursday from Florida’s Kennedy Space Center. It’s the fifth flight for one of these crewless mini shuttles, known as the X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle.
The two Air Force space planes have already logged a combined 5 1/2 years in orbit. But officials won’t say what the spacecraft are doing up there. The last mission lasted almost two years and ended with a May touchdown at the runway formerly used by NASA’s space shuttles.
As usual, SpaceX aims to land its leftover booster back at Cape Canaveral for eventual reuse.
This is the first time SpaceX has provided a lift for the experimental mini-shuttle.
In this image released by the US Air Force, the Air Force's X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle mission 4 lands at NASA 's Kennedy Space Center Shuttle Landing Facility in Florida, on May 7, 2017. (Handout/US Air Force)

[youtube]9M6Zvi-fFv4[/youtube]
SpaceX launches U.S. Air Force's X-37B super-secret space shuttle | Discovery |

Fascinating. A shuttle that can cold-soak in space for a year & still function! That alone is a huge leap in technology.

EagleSmack
That's going to awesome for the new Space Force that Trump created.

*snicker*

Gilgamesh
Since only a full vote of both houses in Congress can initiate the creation of any new branch of the military this is all moot.

I am puzzled as to why you find the creation of a Space Force to be snickered at.

You would probably have ridiculed the creation of an airforce in the early 20th century.

"Them goldurn heavier-than-air flying machines will never amount to nothin', nohow, no time.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post

Since only a full vote of both houses in Congress can initiate the creation of any new branch of the military this is all moot.

I am puzzled as to why you find the creation of a Space Force to be snickered at.

You would probably have ridiculed the creation of an airforce in the early 20th century.

"Them goldurn heavier-than-air flying machines will never amount to nothin', nohow, no time.

http://youtu.be/qWY0yhh-8P4

EagleSmack

You know why I am snickering? Because I drew you out.

MHz
Tow-truck for the electric car they released awhile back.

Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

You know why I am snickering? Because I drew you out.

You've had that condition for a few years.

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Tow-truck for the electric car they released awhile back.

You've had that condition for a few years.

That's the sound emitted by his two functioning neurons trying to communicate with each other.

EagleSmack
+2
#9  Top Rated Post
What can I say?

I found his rant in the other Space Force thread amusing. Carrying on as if Trump created the "Space Force" instead of simply announcing a proposal to do so.

So I cast my line and he could not resist.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

That's the sound emitted by his two functioning neurons trying to communicate with each other.

. . . or the sound they make when they bump into each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76OlqSd_5k8

Tecumsehsbones

Um. . . because having a space force when you can't even get a human to LEO is like having an air force equipped with buckboard wagons?

petros
In a way they are working on firing shit into space with the help of EM cannons.

Curious Cdn

It's an old joke but a goodie.

EagleSmack

Fake

White_Unifier
I'm reading about a 'super-secret' space shuttle on canadiancontent.net.

Does anyone else see something odd about that?

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

I'm reading about a 'super-secret' space shuttle on canadiancontent.net.

Does anyone else see something odd about that?

If it's super secret, how the hell do we know about it?