spaminator
Conservation group urges Canadians not to spread invasive species
Canadian Press
More from Canadian Press
Published:
August 4, 2018
Updated:
August 4, 2018 12:09 PM EDT
The emerald ash borer beetle is spread by moving firewood, the spotted knapweed plant can be spread through hiking and camping, and the Eurasian milfoil is spread by boating. (The Canadian Press/AP/Mike Groll)
TORONTO — As many Canadians head out to enjoy nature this summer, a conservation group is encouraging them not to take invasive species with them.
The Nature Conservancy of Canada says activities such as camping, hiking, biking, fishing, boating, horseback riding and driving ATVs can unintentionally spread invasive species into rivers, streams and forests.
The group has released a list of the top 10 invasive species spread through summer recreational activities.
Conservation biologist Dan Kraus says the list contains some familiar species and others that may be surprising — such as cats, which can kill birds and other wildlife of conservation concern.
The emerald ash borer beetle is spread by moving firewood, the spotted knapweed plant can be spread through hiking and camping, and the Eurasian milfoil is spread by boating.
Kraus says many invasive species have few natural predators to control them.
He says once they get into ecosystems, they’re often able to spread and out-compete native plants and animals for space, water, food and other resources.
“People may unknowingly be contributing to the spread of invasive species when they are enjoying the outdoors through their recreational activities,” Kraus said. “That’s why it’s important to share information so that people can minimize the spread of invasive species to new areas in Canada.”
The Nature Conservancy of Canada is the country’s leading not-for-profit, private land conservation organization.
Since 1962, the NCC and its partners have helped to protect more than 1.1 million hectares across the country.

http://torontosun.com/news/national/...vasive-species

spaminator
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
so why is nothing being done about blacks and muzzies?

Johnnny
+1
The emerald ash borer is coming and it's not going to be pretty.

Conservation groups are hard pressed because nothing about the issue can make it past the 1st reading in government.

Purple loosestrife has obliterated many creeks in my home town.

People need to stop planting Norweigen Maple too, that shit takes over.

People also need to wash their boats after coming out of the Great Lakes and the Great Lake tributaries because so many invasive species are making headway in inland lakes and rivers.

In an ironic twist, Hydroelectric dams do a great job at preventing invasive species spread. Look at the head waters of the Great Lakes, Lake Nipigon. The dams on the Nipigon River has Leo the lake in its almost original state.

And don't get me started on the Round Goby...

I could ramble on this subject for weeks.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

The emerald ash borer is coming and it's not going to be pretty.

Conservation groups are hard pressed because nothing about the issue can make it past the 1st reading in government.

Purple loosestrife has obliterated many creeks in my home town.

People need to stop planting Norweigen Maple too, that shit takes over.

People also need to wash their boats after coming out of the Great Lakes and the Great Lake tributaries because so many invasive species are making headway in inland lakes and rivers.

In an ironic twist, Hydroelectric dams do a great job at preventing invasive species spread. Look at the head waters of the Great Lakes, Lake Nipigon. The dams on the Nipigon River has Leo the lake in its almost original state.

And don't get me started on the Round Goby...

I could ramble on this subject for weeks.

We lost twelve mature Ash trees in our backyard at once to the Emerald Ash Borer. It was like a desert, after that.

We moved.

Conifers on all sides, now.

taxslave
So there goes TrudOWE s immigration policies.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

So there goes TrudOWE s immigration policies.

It happened before Trudeau's government ... just before, mind you.

Zebra Mussels came to the Great Lakes during the Mulroney years. Who's to blame for that one?

Ben?

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

It happened before Trudeau's government ... just before, mind you.

Zebra Mussels came to the Great Lakes during the Mulroney years. Who's to blame for that one?

Ben?

Zebra mussels are not what is ruining the country.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Zebra mussels are not what is ruining the country.

I don't see the country being ruined by anybody.

An insane US leader is about to do us much harm, mind you.

Johnnny
Another thing I notice too is that the average person don't give two ****s about species and habitat management.

People would rather bicker about nothing on the internet and focus on non essential material things. These people then go outside say, "wtf? Why is everything all messed up?" And then go back to their sheltered existences.