Winter Olympics 2018's threaten

captain morgan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

The lack of NHL players shows.

Despite the absence of NHL players, I was floored that Germany knocked-off the Swedes and Canada.

Gotta be some pretty excited folks in Germany these days

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Mowich

The lack of NHL players shows.

Maybe so, pete but I am still proud of the guys for gutting it out and coming through with a medal.

BTW, our medal count now stands at 29 and we are sitting in 2nd place. Rock on Canada!

coldstream
+1
If you ignore the disappointments in Hockey, Men's and Women's Curling, old standbys to ensure Canadian Gold Medals, its been a great Olympics for Canada. Record medals.. many in sports of which i am on dimly cognizant and follow only every 4 years.

Canada's Men's Hockey reestablished some cred after a staggering defeat to Germany in the semis by claiming the Bronze. Figure skating Gold by Virtue and Moir, Bronze to Kaitlin Osmond in dazzling performances. I saw pictures of the latter in the medal ceremony in down to earth red and blacks beside the Russian Prima Donnas in their feathers and furs.. i thought reflective of their nations.

I love the 'crew' aspect of Bobsleigh (Gold to Canada's in the 2 Man, Justin Kripps and Alexander Kopacz). It's filled with athletes recruited from other sports and reminds me of Rowing culture in its comradery, anonymity and esprit. Would love to see Canada do well in 4 Man Bob. It hasn't won a medal in that since it captured the Gold at Innsbruck in 1964, despite being a highly ranked presence on the World Cup.

My heart broke for Alex Harvey who claimed 4th in the 50K Classic Cross Country in his last Olympic race. It is the most grueling of the events, with the possible exception of the Long Track 10K Speedskating which was won by a Canadian, Ted-Jan Bloemen. Alex did a subdued but upbeat interview on the frustration of finishing just off the podium and mused that it might have been better to finish 5th.

But he sprinted with the last of his strength to out touch a competitor for the position so actions speak louder than words. Should be required viewing by potential Olympians about the the honour of representing your sport and country.. clean and to the best of your abilities.

Congrats to all our athletes, where ever they finished... did us proud!
Last edited by coldstream; Feb 24th, 2018 at 02:16 PM..

spaminator
i hope oar wins.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Despite the absence of NHL players, I was floored that Germany knocked-off the Swedes and Canada.

Gotta be some pretty excited folks in Germany these days

I think that it's a good thing. A country that as not expected to do well and that does not produce NHL players has "medalled". This is good for the sport and helps to expand it into fresher territory.

Mowich
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

If you ignore the disappointments in Hockey, Men's and Women's Curling, old standbys to ensure Canadian Gold Medals, its been a great Olympics for Canada. Record medals.. many in sports of which i am on dimly cognizant and follow only every 4 years.

Canada's Men's Hockey reestablished some cred after a staggering defeat to Germany in the semis by claiming the Bronze. Figure skating Gold by Virtue and Moir, Bronze to Kaitlin Osmond in dazzling performances. I saw pictures of the latter in the medal ceremony in down to earth red and blacks beside the Russian Prima Donnas in their feathers and furs.. i thought reflective of their nations.

I love the 'crew' aspect of Bobsleigh (Gold to Canada's in the 2 Man, Justin Kripps and Alexander Kopacz). It's filled with athletes recruited from other sports and reminds me of Rowing culture in its comradery, anonymity and esprit. Would love to see Canada do well in 4 Man Bob. It hasn't won a medal in that since it captured the Gold at Innsbruck in 1964, despite being a highly ranked presence on the World Cup.

My heart broke for Alex Harvey who claimed 4th in the 50K Classic Cross Country in his last Olympic race. It is the most grueling of the events, with the possible exception of the Long Track 10K Speedskating which was won by a Canadian, Ted-Jan Bloemen. Alex did a subdued but upbeat interview on the frustration of finishing just off the podium and mused that it might have been better to finish 5th.

But he sprinted with the last of his strength to out touch a competitor for the position so actions speak louder than words. Should be required viewing by potential Olympians about the the honour of representing your sport and country.. clean and to the best of your abilities.

Congrats to all our athletes, where ever they finished... did us proud!

Watching the X-country event is a tough go considering how long it takes to reach the finish line, but I hung in there and watched as it came down to the final lap. Was pulling hard for Harvey but it was not to be - still out of such a big field I felt he did well.

I actually found many of the skaters, especially the dance teams, costumes to be gaudy compared to the class shown by our skaters - but that's just me. Tessa and Scott are the darlings of the skating world as well they should be. Kaetlyn's skate was wonderful - so happy she won the Bronze in a really touch field of skaters.

I second your comments on our athletes, coldstream. They did themselves and our country proud.

Mowich
Anna Hasselborg and her team from Sweden are taking home the Gold Medal with their convincing win over Team Korea, who will be awarded the Silver. Team Sweden had the game under control from the 3rd end through to the 9th when with their single point they went ahead of Team Korea 8 - 3 and the handshakes, jubilation and tears began for Team Sweden. It was a great game.

I do congratulate Team Korea for a wonderful week of excellent curling. I am sure we will see them in many more medal games.

Beautifully played game Team Sweden. Well done ladies.
Last edited by Mowich; Feb 24th, 2018 at 09:42 PM..

Mowich
+1
It appears that Team Germany didn't get the memo about the OAR being the highly favored team to win the Gold Medal in hockey as they are doing all they can to stay in this game. Tied one a piece until just over midway through the 3rd, Kovalchuk finally got one by the German netminder but less than a minute later Germany came right back with one of their own for the tie. Now, with less than four minutes left in the game, the Germans just put their 3rd on the board. Quite the game, this one.

The OAR took a penalty with just over 2 minutes left in the game, then got a short-handed goal with :55 seconds on the clock. Germany still has :45 seconds of PP time. We are going to OT. Man oh man, talk about drama, this game is packed with it.

And the OAR are the 2018 Gold Medal champions of Olympic hockey. Germany took a penalty at 10:48 into OT and seconds later Kaprizov found the back of the German net.

Highly entertaining Gold Medal game. Team Germany deserve a lot of credit for taking this game to OT - fantastic effort on their part.

Great game. Fantastic effort by Team Germany who will

spaminator
congrats oar.

Mowich
Well done Team Canada. Our country finished in 4th place with 11 Gold, 8 Silver and 10 Bronze medals for a total of 29 and new Canadian record at the Olympics. Thank you all.

Correction: Canada finished in 3rd place in the medal standings. Pardon me all to heck.
Last edited by Mowich; Feb 25th, 2018 at 01:48 PM..

Blackleaf

28!!!

We don't have any snow.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

We don't have any snow.

Want some?

Lend-lease?

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Want some?

Lend-lease?

No, you're alright.

We also don't have much in the way of Alpine landscape.

All the countries which do well in the Winter Olympics are cold, snowy, Alpine or Alpine-like countries. There's not much skiing and other snow and ice-related pursuits going on in Britain.

Curious Cdn

No, you're alright.

We also don't have much in the way of Alpine landscape.

All the countries which do well in the Winter Olympics are cold, snowy, Alpine or Alpine-like countries. There's not much skiing and other snow and ice-related pursuits going on in Britain.

My grandmother grew up almost in sight of Snowdon.

Touch
Germany close to first champions in ice hockey ever.

All time in Olympics:

0 Gold's
1 Silver
2 Bronze

Men's ice hockey in Germany.

World Championship:

0 Gold's
2 Silver
1 Bronze

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

My grandmother grew up almost in sight of Snowdon.

You can see Mount Snowdon and Snowdonia National Park from Winter Hill, just outside Bolton, on a clear day, as well as the mountains of the Lake District in the other direction.

But Snowdon and Snowdonia National Park is hardly the Alps.

Snowdon from Winter Hill

Touch

You can see Snowdonia from Winter Hill, just outside Bolton, on a clear day, as well as the mountains of the Lake District in the other direction.

Snowdon from Winter Hill

This I like.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Touch View Post

This I like.

You get some great views on top of Winter Hill. You can see Blackpool Tower, Jodrell Bank Observatory, the coast and mountains of North Wales, the Peak District, the mountains of the Lake District, vast swathes of Greater Manchester.

Manchester city centre from Winter Hill

And the hill is great for walks. It's awash with history. There's a Bronze Age round cairn; the remains of a plane which crashed in 1958 killing 35 people which was travelling from Isle of Man to Manchester; there's Scotsman's Stump, a metal pole with a plaque on it commemorating the murder of Scotsman George Henderson on the hill in 1838.

My favourite is Rivington Pike Lodge, a hunting lodge built in 1733. The outer walls have over 200 years of graffiti on them, with people having etched things like "Richard Jackson was here 1784" etc.

The hill also has a huge TV mast on top of it - both the hill and the mast can be seen throughout the town - which was erected in 1965.

And finally, Bolton Wanderers' Macron Stadium sits in Winter Hill's shadow.

Mowich
+2

Canadian Figure Skaters take Gold in Team Event

Kim Boutin winner of 3 medals in short track speed skating and flag bearer for closing ceremonies

Samuel Girard Gold in speed skating

Canadian Men Bronze in hockey

Canadian Women Silver in hockey

Cassie Campbell Sharpe - first Canadian woman to win Gold in half-pipe

Justin Kripps and Alex Kopacz tie for Gold in 2-man bobsled

Kaetlyn Osmond Bronze in figure skating

Mikael Kingsbury Gold in free-style skiing

Sebastien Tourant Gold in Big Air

Tessa and Scott Gold in figure skating

Scott Moir cheering for Canadian Women's hockey team

Curious Cdn

You can see Mount Snowdon and Snowdonia National Park from Winter Hill, just outside Bolton, on a clear day, as well as the mountains of the Lake District in the other direction.

Snowdon from Winter Hill

Grandmother grew up in Prestatyn

Durry
All Caucasions of European heritage.

Canada is made up of 22% visible minorities, so if they are doing their fair share, we should see about one-fifth of the Canadian Medal winners as visible minorities,, but we don't,, just goes to show who does all the heavy lifting when it comes to building Canada.

gopher
Fans should immediately start a campaign to get NHL players in the next Olympics. That will generate FAR more interest in the games.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

Fans should immediately start a campaign to get NHL players in the next Olympics. That will generate FAR more interest in the games.

Good luck with that gopher. As long as Buttman is in charge you can bet your bottom dollar that NHL players will not be attending any Olympic games.

I actually found the hockey events very entertaining for the most part.

gopher
Thank Mo - yes, you are correct: we need to get rid of that @#$#@ commis.hi.t and things will shape up real soon.