And the winner is.....Jason Kenney

tay
Mr. Kenney, 49, won it last night on the “first ballot” – although there wasn’t really any such thing in this case, more like the first run through the computer – with 61 per cent of the vote. Again, this was no surprise.

And so the double-reverse hostile takeover of Alberta’s two main conservative political parties is now complete, first of the Progressive Conservatives by the Wildrose Party, then on the Wildrose Party by the Conservatives, in each case with Mr. Kenney, the consummate political insider, as the catalyst.

Mr. Kenney’s supporters will party tonight, and so too may the NDP Government’s political strategists – for, while they realize re-election will be an uphill fight, and despite Mr. Kenney’s formidable talents as a campaigner, the social conservative baggage the new UCP leader carries is heavy, and may well not appeal to Alberta’s increasingly liberal silent majority.

Mr. Kenney’s victories did not come without flaws and controversies.

In a distasteful exhibition, candidates for the PC Party leadership who seemed to present a real threat to Mr. Kenney were bullied into leaving the race. One joined the NDP, another left the party completely, another has made her peace with the UCP.

The pleas Thursday night to halt the vote by Mr. Kenney’s two remaining opponents in the UCP leadership race, Mr. Jean and Calgary lawyer Doug Schweitzer, also highlight practices that are questionable at best, unsavoury at worst.

The right-wing media echo chamber will be onside in the run-up to the next Alberta general election, of course. The financially troubled Postmedia newspaper corporation’s last gasp may well turn out to be the full-court press for Mr. Kenney that has already begun in its pages. Last night, one of Postmedia’s columnists was already calling this entirely predictable result “a miracle”!

more

Alberta PoliticsJason Kenney wins, completing double reverse hostile takeover of Alberta

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
The NDP is finished in Alberta.

Murphy
Stay tuned for more interesting tidbits.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
`The N.D.P.'s defense strategy will likely be the tried and tested strategy of both the N.D.P. and the Liberals.
Fear.
A return of the conservatives will likely result in Gays in cages. Back alley abortions. Cuts to education. Union busting.
And on and on it goes.

Kenney's United Conservatives should take note of one thing. Conservatives no longer have a monopoly in Alberta. The reason they were punted was because many Albertan's were sick of the arrogance and corruption.

Colpy
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

Hallelujah

And I live on the other side of the country.

mentalfloss
This is a NEW era of conservatives, folks.

No longer will they fall into the sore losing, blowhard, arrogant
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

...oh..

relic
Winner ? None of the players will be good for Alberta,and Kenny likely being the worst .

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

...oh..

Like you know anything about conservatives.

Quote: Originally Posted by relic View Post

Winner ? None of the players will be good for Alberta,and Kenny likely being the worst .

Yeah, okay.

DaSleeper
+3
Progressives are the sore loosers...
Look at all the snowflake drama in the US and Canada!

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by relic View Post

A lump of dog shyte would be better than Notley. I wish the social conservatives would f$#k off and go away. That's unlikely. I can only hope that Jason acts like a fiscal conservative but talk is cheap so I won't hold my breath.

Colpy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

...oh..

Posted over a gif of an individual being assaulted by a lefty asshole.

Uh huh.

Nicely done! lol NOT.

What an idiot!

Twin_Moose
UCP calls on ethics commissioner to probe NDP press conference at Lethbridge hospital

Quote:

The United Conservative Party is calling for an investigation into an NDP press conference held at a Lethbridge hospital on Saturday afternoon.
Premier Rachel Notley spoke at Chinook Regional Hospital, where she criticized comments made by UCP leader Jason Kenney earlier in the week, when he said he was open to competition and allowing some private companies to perform publicly funded health-care procedures.
Kenney raised concern on Twitter that the premier was holding a partisan news conference in a public hospital, which is against Alberta Health Services policy.
"It is an unethical abuse of public resources for the NDP Leader to hold a partisan news conference in a public hospital, as she did today. Those are party, not government signs," he wrote.
"This is explicitly prohibited by AHS policy. Stop campaigning at public expense. Call the election."
Enacted in 2012 the policy reads, "AHS facilities shall not be used for any political activity, including, but not limited to use for the purposes of canvassing, campaigning, making political announcements, touring and other activities."
Notley's spokesperson, Cheryl Oates, responded to Kenney on Twitter, saying the announcement was done in a public area of the hospital and no tax dollars were spent to do it.
"Not a single tax dollar went to this announcement. The nurses who came to speak out about the dangers of @jkenney plan to privatize health care, came on their own time because they are worried about what he will do to front line services," she wrote.
"The event was done in a public area of the hospital, but we understand the concern and will ensure future campaign events are not done at AHS facilities."
UCP house leader Jason Nixon issued a release Sunday, calling for an investigation.
"Saturday's NDP campaign event was not just a clear violation of AHS policy, but it also seems probable that the Premier and her staff broke Government of Alberta rules that prohibit them from using their influence to host a partisan event in a public hospital," Nixon said in a release.
"I have written to Alberta's Ethics Commissioner to ask for an immediate investigation into this event and I'm calling on Alberta Health Services and the premier's office to explain this clear violation of AHS policy for the benefit of the Notley NDP."
Saturday was just the most recent incident of Kenney accusing the NDP of campaigning before dropping the writ for the spring election campaign.
Once an election is called, the campaign will last 28 days.
Under the province's fixed-date election legislation, the next provincial election must be held between March 1 and May 31, 2019.

Twin_Moose
+2
Look what I've done for you please vote for me Lol

Rachel Notley fought like hell for Alberta, but the province isn’t about to thank her.

Twin_Moose
+1
Notley says Kenney unfit to lead Alberta with his party under RCMP investigation

Quote:

Alberta Premier Rachel Notley says Jason Kenney is unfit to lead the province as the United Conservative Party is under RCMP investigation.
"I think the best way to evaluate the significance of the RCMP investigation is if the shoe were on the other foot and a politician seeking to lead the province and either he, or people close to him, were under investigation by the RCMP, what would Jason Kenney suggest, what would he say?" the premier said in a scrum in Calgary on Friday.
"I think he would say that person is not fit to be premier. And I think he would be right."
Alberta's Office of the Election Commissioner has turned over to the RCMP its investigation into allegations of irregular political contributions involving the so-called "kamikaze" campaign of United Conservative Party leadership contender Jeff Callaway.
It's alleged that Callaway ran with the intent of knocking former Wildrose leader Brian Jean out of the UCP leadership race, leaving a clear path forward for Kenney.
Both Kenney and Callaway have denied any collusion between their campaigns.
"It is very significant that we've had credible confirmation that there is an RCMP investigation into this, and I think Mr. Kenney needs to come clean on all the different elements of this," Notley said.
Kenney said he, his staff and the UCP have not been asked to speak to RCMP.
"Obviously, we'd cooperate with any kind of investigation and we'd fully expect people would comply with all of the elections laws," he said, pointing to a candidate that was removed from the UCP after it was discovered he wasn't "forthcoming" about his donations to Callaway's campaign.
Notley also questioned why Kenney had called for the province's upcoming spring election to be called at the earliest possible date.
"I think, quite frankly, he was hoping the election would be done and dusted before this stuff started to come out," Notley said, adding that the election will be held in April or May.

I don't think Albertans will vote Notley back in even if Kenney is in jail

Cannuck
I’m not so sure. The Dippers still have lots of support in Calgary and Edmonton

Twin_Moose
Edmonton maybe Calgary not so much double digit lead in the polls is forcing Notley to hit below the belt to try to hold on to power

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Notley says Kenney unfit to lead Alberta with his party under RCMP investigation
I don't think Albertans will vote Notley back in even if Kenney is in jail

Looks like notley is projecting again. Dippers think that because they are criminals that all other political parties are as well.

Mowich
+3
Conservative majority declared by ctv

yipee!

Cannuck
It’ll be interesting to see what the municipalities think

Ron in Regina
+2

Mowich
+6 / -1
#21  Top Rated Post
What a wonderful night for Albertans. I am so proud of all those who voted in the Blue Wave and let hope win over all the fear-mongering progressive dolts who thought they could sway the electorate with their false narratives and mud-slinging.

Not a single Liberal candidate was elected in the province tonight - read that and weep little potato - You Are Next.

Jinentonix
+3
Alberta and Ontario. Two provinces that got sick of the status quo, voted NDP and then realized how much worse the Dippers sucked than the status quo.
Seriously, the ALT-left couldn't run an electric train set even with a set of detailed instructions. This is why it's important to keep an eye on the provincial and federal Liberal parties. As we've seen with the Fed and Ontario, the ALT-left have infested the Liberals as well.

Mowich
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Alberta and Ontario. Two provinces that got sick of the status quo, voted NDP and then realized how much worse the Dippers sucked than the status quo.
Seriously, the ALT-left couldn't run an electric train set even with a set of detailed instructions. This is why it's important to keep an eye on the provincial and federal Liberal parties. As we've seen with the Fed and Ontario, the ALT-left have infested the Liberals as well.

More good news may be on the way for Conservatives, Jin.

New Brunswick parties jump into election campaign season days ahead of writ drop

The current legislature has the Liberals with 24 seats, the Progressive Conservatives with 21, the Greens with one, former Liberal speaker Chris Collins sitting as an independent, and two vacancies

nationalpost.com/news/politics/new-brunswick-jumps-into-election-season-days-ahead-of-writ-drop

Retired_Can_Soldier
+3
We still have a way until the federal election and Justin Trudeau is handing out the bribes.

Cliffy

DaSleeper
+1

MHz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz1q-AMe9wY

I don't mind some of the points he 'touched on' but the solutions would require Alberta to begin an oil boom while the rest of the globe is backing away from increasing production.

He is right that out deal with the US cost Canadians billions per year. The actual rate is $50/bbl and since it is already earmarked for oilmen in the US and the EU. Wall St investors rather than taxpayers. You have to be a bit more than a little naive to think the US would let that happen. 50% of the US military budget is there to make sure that doesn't happen. If the last AG got schooled on how bribery works at the highest level this guy will be getting schooled on who owns Alberta's oil and all that it touches. (try the Dutch Oil Companies that are being sold for about $1T when they have predicted oil will stay where it is right now for a considerable amount of time)

He hinted that Alberta could fund the projects. Big problem with projects that get into the billions is they are funded by the World Bank and Canada's only company that could even bid on the contract is banned from bidding on any projects the World Bank is also bidding on, SNC and all the other companies listed means Canada cannot find it's own projects as they would still have to deal with companies that are not blacklisted by the World Bank and that will not be happening.
If 'the UN' said it was not a good time for the pipeline that opinion will not be changing with somebody new driving the Alberta Bound bus.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Oh look! Another "Oh look" meme

MHz
Oh look, another retard.

Cliffy
Jason the Hutt. This guy is an embarassment. And the Tyee nails it. And his grandstanding demagoguery will hurt us all.

Jason Kenney’s Political Paranoia

His blame game feeds anxious citizens false enemies. It’s an old trick.

In his first couple of days in office, Jason Kenney hit the ground whining.

First he proclaimed Bill 12, the “Preserving Canada’s Economic Prosperity Act.” This is the turn-off-the-taps law that would let him “require companies to obtain a licence before exporting energy products from Alberta via pipeline, rail or truck.”
At a news conference, Kenney then explained: “Alberta is serious about sending a message to those who wage a campaign of obstruction against our vital resources.” Note the choice of words, casting Alberta as the hapless victim of aggressors “waging a campaign.”
The campaigners are soon identified: “We want to work with other jurisdictions, like British Columbia... ” and Kenney segues into Churchillian “fight them on the beaches” mode: “everybody should be aware that we will use every option available to defend Alberta, our economy, our resources and our people.”
Protecting Alberta suddenly becomes a national defence issue: “We mean business when protecting Canada’s economic interests.”
Kenney’s energy minister Sonya Savage then explicates her boss’s words: “This is not a mechanism to punish others,” she reassures us. “It’s a tool to protect Alberta. Alberta’s prosperity fuels Canada’s prosperity.” Having hinted at the stick, she offers a carrot: “It’s in every province and territory’s interest that we get these products to market.”
But that wasn’t all Kenney had to say in his first hours as premier. He and Savage also spoke to the Standing Senate Committee on Transport and Communications about Bill C-48, which would ban Canadian oil tankers from much of the B.C. coast: “to defend our province and add my grave concerns to the growing list of voices calling for this arbitrary, illogical and discriminatory bill to be killed.”

More: https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2019/05/...ical-Paranoise