Flames Fans and Others...

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

It doesn't matter what people should or shouldn't do. What's done is done. Players have discussed dressing room stuff outside the dressing room. Because you feel it shouldn't happen, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

It really has nothing to do with 'how' I feel, it has to do with tradition, and
the sanctity of the dressing room,that has always been important, and when
players take their 'stuff' out into the public or family and 'whine' and 'gossip'
about other players on the team, that is a no no.

I still don't believe the story about phaneuf anyway, just think it's made up
gossip, and I'm not a phaneuf admirer.

MrJ
All I know is he's here, and doing something for us again this year. That's all I care about, lol! "Phaneuf that is"...

Iggy is a little invisible this year, but I guess he always has a slow start...

I still think we have what it takes to go all the way this year! I'm sure we all think that of our favorite teams though.

Like someone said, "only time will tell".

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by MrJ View Post

All I know is he's here, and doing something for us again this year. That's all I care about, lol! "Phaneuf that is"...

Iggy is a little invisible this year, but I guess he always has a slow start...

I still think we have what it takes to go all the way this year! I'm sure we all think that of our favorite teams though.

Like someone said, "only time will tell".

Yeah, for the canucks now, there is 79 games left, I'm sure we'll win a couple by
then.

wulfie68
I haven't seen or heard anything, in my time in Calgary to suggest any bad blood between Phaneuf and Iginla. And at 32, lets be honest, I doubt Iginla has all that many years left to pursue it, if said rift exists. I also can't see the logic in trading Phaneuf unless they get something very highly valued in return: as Talloola said, quality defencemen are long term projects and very valuable commodities.

Back to the original discussion, I honestly don't think any of the Canadian teams improved enough to do much more than we saw last post season. Adding an injured Phil Kessel to the Burnt Leafs won't make Toronto a contender any time soon, nor will the moves in Ottawa or Montreal. Vancouver needs more offensive savvy on blue line and they and the Flames both need more talent up front. Edmonton, well, sorry Oiler fans but I think you're in it for draft picks again (like my beloved Islanders). I'm interested to see what happens with Heatley in San Jose. I wonder how an extra will year will help all the young talent in Chicago, Pittsburgh and Washington. I wonder if the Wings still have enough depth in Detroit to make it to the final four.

Iceman778
but he is not gona come to ur team .he is with me

Iceman778
i also like him to see in the team

Iceman778
i completely agree with you i also like the same

spaminator
Flames game an eye-opener for young cancer survivor | Hockey | Sports | Toronto

spaminator
spaminator
spaminator
Calgary Flames captain Mark Giordano wins prestigious ESPN Muhammad Ali Sports H

spaminator
Francis: Bettman says with Nenshi, Flames have 'no prospect' of getting new arena
By Eric Francis, Calgary Sun
First posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 10:46 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 28, 2017 01:26 PM EDT
Gary Bettman said he knew six months ago an arena deal would not get done in Calgary under the city’s current administration.
Bettman said a meeting in Calgary with Naheed Nenshi in March made it crystal clear where the mayor’s head is at with regards to the importance of pro sports in a city.
“When I was with the mayor on March 15, he was describing to me the terms of a deal that I knew were just not from the real world,” said the NHL commissioner in a phone interview from his New York office, mere hours after updating the NHL’s board of governors on the Calgary situation.
“We were having a theoretical conversation about the importance of arenas and major league sports franchises to a city, which he indicated he didn’t believe in. I said, ‘Well ... what if the end result of this is that the Flames have to move?’ And he said to me, ‘Then they’ll have to move.’”
“Based on that meeting, I knew (the Flames owners) had no prospect of getting a new building on any terms that made sense. And that being the case, I completely understood their decision to disengage.”
Bettman was in Calgary two weeks ago to be informed by Flames ownership they too couldn’t see a resolution and would cease attempts to negotiate with the city.
When asked how the various impasses in Edmonton’s arena negotiation compared to the stalemate in Calgary, Bettman pointed out the big difference stems from the will of the respective mayors.
“(Reports of the Edmonton arena deal being dead) was the media reporting – the fact of the matter was I was in constant contact with Mayor (Stephen) Mandel and (Oilers owner) Daryl (Katz), and I always believed that would get done,” said Bettman.
“This couldn’t be more opposite.”
Nor could the financial outlook of the two Alberta clubs given the significant disadvantage the Flames are at without all the revenue streams a new building like Rogers Place provides over the 34-year-old Saddledome.
“I think that’s the critical element,” said Bettman, when asked how big a role the Flames’ aging arena has played in the team’s demise from being a top-10 revenue generator in the league to being a recipient of revenue-sharing cheques.
“This has been happening over the last couple years. We’re going down a road — we’ve already started on it — and it’s heading in the wrong direction.”
Which begs the question, how long can the Flames realistically expect to stay in Calgary without a new arena?
“They’re not moving this season, but I don’t know how long they can hang on,” said Bettman.
“This isn’t an imminent issue, but it's something that’s coming around the bend at some point. I’m not a soothsayer, and I’m not going to prognosticate other than to say the situation will continue to deteriorate.”
Until the team moves.
Or they find a way to broker a deal for a new arena, which more than likely isn’t happening under Nenshi’s watch.
His fate as Calgary’s mayor will be determined in the Oct. 16 civic election, which could help determine how short or long the Flames’ stay is.
Bettman points out the competitive disadvantage the Flames are now at financially could eventually hasten their departure.
“Do you remember the late 1990s and 2000s when the team couldn’t be competitive and was losing money and the building was half-empty?” Bettman asked, alluding to the team’s SOS campaign of 1999.
“Calgary has great fans and is a great hockey market, but the people in Calgary aren’t going to stand for a team that can’t be competitive.
“The fact that the city is not focusing on how to provide for essential infrastructure is something beyond their control or ours.”
Asked when he was here Sept. 12 what Calgarians can do about the situation, he suggested they ensure their voice is heard, alluding to their power at the polls.
On Wednesday he insisted, “I don’t weigh into politics.”
Flames president Ken King, who reiterated Wednesday he is done talking, has said the same thing, which is comical as their public 'He Said/Nenshi Said' has made this one of the primary election issues.
As it should be.
How long can anyone expect the Flames to resist sale talk before Quebec City, Seattle or another city starts trying to entice the Flames with serious offers?
“That’s something you’d have to ask (the Flames),” said Bettman, who is loath to move franchises.
“They’re not issuing any threats, and what they’ve said is they’re going to hang on as long as they can. I don’t know how long that is, and I don’t think they do either.”
Has he fielded interest from potential buyers?
“I get contacted all the time by people in markets that are interested in having a team,” Bettman said, adding he’s “distressed, disappointed and concerned” about the situation.
“It’s terrible because nothing is going on, and there’s no prospect of anything going on.”
And for that, they pin the blame squarely on Nenshi.
efrancis@postmedia.ca
twitter.com/EricFrancis
Francis: Bettman says with Nenshi, Flames have 'no prospect' of getting new aren

spaminator
Francis: No doubt Flames were election night losers
By Eric Francis, Calgary Sun
First posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 08:55 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 09:01 PM EDT
In a city deeply divided on funding an NHL arena, there’s one thing Calgarians can all agree on: the chances of a new rink being built anytime soon just got even more remote.
The re-election of Naheed Nenshi late Monday for four more years means the principal players who were involved in grinding negotiations to a halt remain in place.
The outside possibility of former football player Bill Smith swooping in as the Calgary Flames’ potential white knight were squashed when Nenshi defeated the firefighter-turned lawyer in an election the city became so engaged that they ran out of ballots at some polling stations.
Is the patience of the Flames owners the next thing to run out?
Or can this mayor, who was surely humbled by the narrow margin of victory over a beige contender, manage to do what he preached last month – put emotions aside to come up with a deal that makes sense for all stakeholders.
Not that this is all on the mayor.
The Flames are not without blame in the deterioration of the situation and certainly haven’t played their cards well in all this. They’ve drawn plenty of criticism for being arrogant and greedy in a stalled negotiation they walked away from last month when they chose to try making the rink an election issue.
Gary Bettman’s attempts to influence things backfired when he said he knew all along a deal couldn’t be made with Nenshi as he claimed the mayor was apathetic at best about the importance of keeping the NHL in town. Being aligned with Bettman didn’t do the Flames any favours.
Not surprisingly, Nenshi had a different version of the conversation with Bettman as part of the He said/Nenshi said squabbling that made two things clear: the Flames see Nenshi as the single-biggest impediment to getting a deal done, and: Nenshi is hellbent on standing up to what he sees as bullying by the Flames.
That frustration from Flames’ camp was on display for a few minutes after Nenshi was declared the winner Monday, when Flames director of communications, Sean Kelso, posted a personal tweet.
“I can’t believe it YYC. Having @nenshi as mayor is worse than @realDonaldTrump as president. #arrogant #bracefordisaster #outoftouch,” he tweeted, before removing it minutes later
Flames president Ken King refused to comment at all Tuesday before the club released a statement regarding Kelso’s online rant.
“We feel very strongly that our staff are entitled to their own personal opinions on political issues, and otherwise, and, in fact, is their democratic right,” said Flames VP Communications, Peter Hanlon.
“We would not interfere with that right. Notwithstanding the above, those individuals and opinions are not to be misinterpreted as representing the corporate position of the Calgary Sports & Entertainment Corporation (which owns the Flames).”
How the two sides will be able to come together again with another attempt to bridge the massive gap between their respective proposals is anyone’s guess.
The Flames did their best to derail Nenshi’s (purple) reign, which won’t be forgotten by a mayor with a massive ego who promised his feistiness won’t dissipate in this, his third term.
Adding to the Flames uphill battle is the fact 11 of the 15 councillors who voted for the city’s last arena proposal were re-elected.
Nenshi certainly lost votes based on his penchant for raising taxes and spending city dollars in questionable ways, be it gaudy, overpriced “art” or a $240 million library.
A rink is seen by many as another overzealous expense for taxpayers unless the right deal is struck.
Perhaps the solution lies in bringing in a third party like mayoral hopeful Andre Chabot or past mayor Dave Bronconnier to spark and oversee negotiations that will inevitably begin again.
As it stands, it’s a fine mess indeed.
The chances of the Flames five-man ownership group, spearheaded by notoriously fierce negotiator Murray Edwards, would choose to keep the team in Calgary longer than four years without an arena deal in place are slim.
Choose to ignore that fact at your city’s peril Mr. Mayor.
Meanwhile, the Flames owners need to get a grip on the fact their demands need significant readjustment if things have any chance at being resolved with a $550 arena in Victoria Park.
Forget the inherent threat to move, which understandably annoys frustrated Calgarians who too-easily dismiss it as pure folly - without a new rink an NHL franchise in Calgary is not sustainable.
This needs to be dealt with one way or another before then.
The fear with Nenshi back at the helm, is the will to get a deal done isn’t as strong as it might have been had he lost.
Despite being in the midst of four days off between games, there’s little doubt the Flames lost Monday.
How they – and a possible arena deal - can rebound will be fascinating to watch.
Francis: No doubt Flames were election night losers | FRANCIS | Hockey | Sports

TenPenny
If a hockey arena is a good deal, then the team should pay for it, own it, and get the revenue.

Durry
If the general Calgary public benefits by having a hockey team like the Flames, then there should be some contribution by the Calgary public,,, the question is how much benefit and at what cost.