Advice Needed. .. Red Deer Or Olds?

Sasklady123
Looking for a little "local" advice. I am potentially relocating to Alberta from Saskatchewan for my husband to take a promotion and just looking for some insider info on the city of Red Deer or town Olds. Which is a better place to call home for a young family? My husband will be working in Innisfail but we don't want to live there as it dosent have all the amenities we are used to. We come from a small city of about 40,000 right now.
Any insight on good schools (or ones to avoid) or neibourhoods in either place would be helpful. Also childcare costs? Lots of daycares/dayhomes avalible or long wait lists?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Sasklady123 View Post

Looking for a little "local" advice. I am potentially relocating to Alberta from Saskatchewan for my husband to take a promotion and just looking for some insider info on the city of Red Deer or town Olds. Which is a better place to call home for a young family? My husband will be working in Innisfail but we don't want to live there as it dosent have all the amenities we are used to. We come from a small city of about 40,000 right now.
Any insight on good schools (or ones to avoid) or neibourhoods in either place would be helpful. Also childcare costs? Lots of daycares/dayhomes avalible or long wait lists?

Are Red Deer and Olds really comparable? I wouldn't have thought so, but my knowledge of either one is very limited.

Curious Cdn
Try Lethbridge.

Nice little city.

Hoof Hearted
+1
#4  Top Rated Post
There's a reason it's called Dead Rear, Alberta.

Durry

Red Deer is far superior to Olds. RD is a beautiful and progressive city.

Olds is primarily a farming town.

MHz

Lots of hard core small gangs in Red Deer. Olds is quieter and the locals are more into quading in the foothills

Quote: Originally Posted by Durry View Post

Red Deer is far superior to Olds. RD is a beautiful and progressive city.

Really?? Ever been there? I lived there for about 20 years and left in 2015.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Try Lethbridge.

Nice little city.

Bit of a commute from Innisfail.

MHz
Innisfail is a great little town

Sylvian Lake is nice but way overpriced

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Bit of a commute from Innisfail.

No problem. It never snows there, so winter driving is a breeze.

JLM

No problem. It never snows there, so winter driving is a breeze.

I suppose, if you don't mind a daily commute of 400 miles each day.

Bar Sinister
+1
All schools in Alberta receive equal funding. I suspect it doesn't matter which one you choose.

Olds is a small rural community (population 10,000) so if you want all the services you are used to you will be making trips to Calgary or Red Deer. Red Deer has 100,000 people. I suspect it would suit you better. You don't mention where you or your husband will be working. Given Alberta's winter weather you might want to keep driving to a minimum.

petros
Quote:

Given Alberta's winter weather you might want to keep driving to a minimum.

Is it worse than where they are from?

captain morgan
+1
Sylvan lake is the way to go on this... Red Deer is ok an all, but your kids will love Sylvan Lake

B00Mer

Olds without a doubt..

Small, quite.. has a Walmart and Hospital.. Calgary & Red Deer are close if you need Big City services..

Only folks who live in Red Deer are either Queer or a Steer

petros
Going from Prince Albert to Olds? I'd go for Sylvan Lake too.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Olds without a doubt..

Small, quite.. has a Walmart and Hospital.. Calgary & Red Deer are close if you need Big City services..

All hundred thousands of them?

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Going from Prince Albert to Olds? I'd go for Sylvan Lake too.

As long as the kids don't need to go to Red Deer 14 times a day!

Sasklady123
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

All hundred thousands of them?

As long as the kids don't need to go to Red Deer 14 times a day!

That's what I am worried about. Don't want to move there and always be going into bigger cities for things. I have however heard that they have ALMOST everything just in a smaller setting.

Curious Cdn

Olds without a doubt..

... a Walmart AND a hospital!

How about a McDonalds?

MHz

Olds without a doubt..

Slumlords have free reign also. Especially SimCo if the ****er is still in business.

petros

... a Walmart AND a hospital!

How about a McDonalds?

Subway or A&W

Curious Cdn

Subway or A&W

Oh, man! You mean, there isn't one of each at opposite ends of the "strip"?

MHz
. . . and 15 Tim Hortons.

JLM

That's what I am worried about. Don't want to move there and always be going into bigger cities for things. I have however heard that they have ALMOST everything just in a smaller setting.

Depends on who you are- I lived in a city of 4000 for 9 years and hardly ever left town for any reason, while others drove 120 miles twice a month thinking they were saving money and getting sophisticated objects. You can do a lot with the mail and a catalog!

Durry
CATALOG ??????? Wtf !!!

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Durry View Post

CATALOG ??????? Wtf !!!

Yep, periodically issued by Sears and Army and Navy and prehistorically by Timothy Eaton!

Bar Sinister

Is it worse than where they are from?

Your comment is irrelevant. As usual.

bobnoorduyn
If your hubby is going to be working in Innisfail why not just move there? I don't know much about the place but it is pretty close to Red Deer anyway, which has everything you might want right at the south end, if you can put up with the current highway construction.

Olds has a lot for a small town, Wal-mart, Sobeys, Cdn Tire, Home Hardware, No Frills, (ick) and three major car dealerships, but no Home Depot. My grandkids were both born at the hospital there and my daughter loved the care she got.

Didsbury seems to be nice too, I spent two weeks in hospital there after being transferred from Edmonton, but that's about all I know of that town. I live in the foothills west of Cremona so I know what its like to have to drive a bit for big city services, country living is worth it, but my kids are grown and I don't have schools and such to concern myself with. I drive 50 minutes to Calgary and have one level crossing and two traffic lights to get to work, other than that I avoid the city and do most of my shopping locally or in Cochrane, Sundre, Olds, or, if I really need to, Airdrie. Plus, I only have to do that drive 4 - 6 times a month.

BTW, decent housing in these small towns is much more affordable than in the country or the big cities, and I understand that the schools are pretty good too.