Better band: Rush or Pink Floyd?

BigLou
Question came to me when I was listening to the annual Top 500 Classic Rock Countdown on the radio. I'd say Rush is better.

shadowshiv
Pink Floyd is far superior to Rush.

DurkaDurka
Rush is horrible, enough said

TenPenny
Pink Floyd is far and away superior. Rush is a pretty good imitation, but there's just no real comparison.

Risus
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

Pink Floyd was better, but there is no way I would say Rush is horrible. They have a lot of talent as well.

mt_pockets1000

In your humble opinion of course, right? I grew up listening to Pink Floyd and thought they were the greatest. Still like them alot. However, in my later years I'm listening to a lot of Rush and they are fantastic as well. Neil Peart is one of the most accomplished drummers on the planet...far better than Nick Mason. While David Gilmour is the best at his style of slow, soaring notes...Alex Lifeson is much more technical and can burn up the strings with his rapid style fingering. And Geddy Lee...he's one of a kind.

Both good bands but it's like comparing apples to oranges...

Avro
Totally different styles of music, so how do you compare?

I've seen both bands several times live and Pink Floyd definitely puts on a better show.

lone wolf
It's good that Geddy Lee's not as tall as his attitude....

I jammed with them many many years ago in a church basement on Broadview. Rush has grown a lot. Pink Floyd has them in technical versitility. Rush has it for bottom end.

BigLou
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

It's good that Geddy Lee's not as tall as his attitude....

I jammed with them many many years ago in a church basement on Broadview. Rush has grown a lot. Pink Floyd has them in technical versitility. Rush has it for bottom end.

No way, you jammed with Rush?! Awesome!!

Kreskin
I see it as apples and oranges. I haven't listened to Rush for years. Never was too excited by them.

Scott Free

Seconded.

Unforgiven
heh heh What a comparison!

You mutton heads should get a bigger Ipod so that you can include both bands music on them. Both have astounding things to offer the listener if only you care to listen.

missile
Like a previous poster wrote: Like comparing apples to oranges Both are exceptionally great bands, but different styles of music. personally,I love both of them, but have to give the edge to Pink Floyd.

CountryGirlMich
This is the most hilarious question I have ever heard, obviously PINK FLOYD is the best

scratch
I love Pink Floyd, but I must go with (Mahogany) Rush. Multiple Juno winners. Order of Canada members.

Cliffy
Maybe I'm weird but Pink Floyd has been by far the most consistently ahead of their time band I have ever heard. Dark Side of The Moon and the Wall are masterpieces. Their lyrics and music border on modern Classical. Rich deep tapestries of intellectual/ psychological insight and always pushing the envelope of music. Gilmore literally makes his guitar talk in ways that stimulate mind and body, evoking the gambit of emotion. I listen to them the same way some people listen to Mozart.

Walter
Pink F loyd

GroundWater
Love Floyd, but Rush was like the band down the street, must have seen them a dozen times(Maple Leaf Gardens) while growing up and have alot more memories attached to them, seen the once with Max Webster playing Battle Scars, to cool.

scratch
Was `Kim` with Max Webster at that time?

GroundWater
This was around 1980 or 81, there were a bunch of local bands playing at the gardens on New years, FM, Nash the Slash, come to think of it it may have been a few years later and only Mitchell was there, those days were some what distorted, I am at work at the moment, I actually have the concert stub still, I will have to check when I get home.

Gilgamesh
Quote: Originally Posted by Risus View Post

Pink Floyd was better, but there is no way I would say Rush is horrible. They have a lot of talent as well.

Rush was a big fat zero.

Pink Floyd was just pretentious.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#22  Top Rated Post
A thread from the dark ages.

I don't really think the two bands compare. I like both. But they each have different styles and serve different needs/moods. Rush is better for pure rock and roll but Pink Floyd is far more genus with lyrics and concepts. I have a near full library of both on my iPhone.

petros
+1
Both are top of the game for their styles.

Girth
lol....Pink Floyd should not even be compared to Rush.

Pink Floyd is arguably the greatest band of all time.

Jinentonix
Can't compare. Different styles and even though some Pink Floyd could fall into the prog-rock category I never really considered them a prog-rock band like Rush was for most of their career.