IGA Turns Away Customer Who Cannot Wear Mask for Medical Reasons


no color
-2
#1
This is completely unacceptable. Last week an IGA customer was denied access to an IGA supermarket in Quebec simply because she had a medical condition that prevented her from wearing a mask. The government decree that mandated masks in all indoor public spaces in Quebec made exceptions for those who cannot wear a mask due to pre-existing medical issues (asthma, PTSD, heart issues ...). This decree specifically outlined that a medical certificate is not required. However IGA chose to ignore this provision and refused to allow her to do her groceries. This establishment clearly discriminated against her because of her medical history. I will personally not shop there anymore.
Any type of discrimination is wrong, however discriminating against someone because of their medical background is a new low and itís completely unacceptable.
The supermarket chain has since apologized and allowed her to shop there, but itís too late. The damage has already been done.
I hope she sues this business for violation of her civil rights.
Quote:

CJAD NEWS MONTREAL
YOUR STORY: MONTREAL WOMAN WITH MEDICAL CONDITION TURNED AWAY FROM STORE FOR NOT WEARING A MASK
A Montreal woman says she has a medical condition that makes wearing a mask painful and that it's unfair that she's being turned away from some stores.
"I actually believe in the mask and I'd wear it if I could," said Anne Schlenker.
For the past 37 years, Schlenker has been suffering from nerve damage resulting in hypersensitivity - the form of fibromyalgia means the slightest touch or pressure causes pain to her face or head, including a mask.
"I end up with shooting pain in my face, I end up with toothaches," said Schlenker who reached out to yourstory@cjad.com.
Schlenker said she was surprised and frustrated when she was recently barred from her local supermarket.
"I did get a referral from my doctor who clearly outlined that I could not wear a mask and I was told I could not enter the store, that if I entered the store without a mask they would call the police," said Schlenker.

https://www.iheartradio.ca/cjad/news...ask-1.13032647
 
gerryh
+4
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by no color View Post

This is completely unacceptable. Last week an IGA customer was denied access to an IGA supermarket in Quebec simply because she had a medical condition that prevented her from wearing a mask. The government decree that mandated masks in all indoor public spaces in Quebec made exceptions for those who cannot wear a mask due to pre-existing medical issues (asthma, PTSD, heart issues ...). This decree specifically outlined that a medical certificate is not required. However IGA chose to ignore this provision and refused to allow her to do her groceries. This establishment clearly discriminated against her because of her medical history. I will personally not shop there anymore.
Any type of discrimination is wrong, however discriminating against someone because of their medical background is a new low and itís completely unacceptable.
The supermarket chain has since apologized and allowed her to shop there, but itís too late. The damage has already been done.
I hope she sues this business for violation of her civil rights.
https://www.iheartradio.ca/cjad/news...ask-1.13032647

Private business, has every right to refuse service to anyone for any or no reason. IGA isnt the only place she can buy grocery from. Instead of whining to the media, she just needed to go down the street to a different grocery store. But no, gotta whine about how hard done by she is.
 
Mowich
+5
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Private business, has every right to refuse service to anyone for any or no reason. IGA isnt the only place she can buy grocery from. Instead of whining to the media, she just needed to go down the street to a different grocery store. But no, gotta whine about how hard done by she is.


Right you are, gerry. How were the IGA employees to know she had a medical condition? Did she have documentation proving her claim? But then these are the days when the eagerly offended get the headlines.
 
Hoid
+1
#4
https://www.iga.net/en/online_grocery

You can buy groceries online in Quebec just about anywhere.
 
no color
+1 / -1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Private business, has every right to refuse service to anyone for any or no reason. IGA isnt the only place she can buy grocery from. Instead of whining to the media, she just needed to go down the street to a different grocery store. But no, gotta whine about how hard done by she is.

Discrimination is wrong in all it’s forms. Whether it’s discrimination based on race or medical disabilities, it’s still discrimination . No gray area here. If a supermarket were to ban someone from shopping there because if that person’s race, there’d be an uproar in the streets the likes of which we’ve never seen before. Yet discrimination based on medical disability is just brushed aside.

The government clearly stated in its decree that businesses need to make exceptions for those with medical conditions that prevent them from wearing masks. IGA completely ignored this provision and discriminated against this lady. Thankfully she went to the media which resulted in a public outrage, forcing IGA to backtrack and allow her to shop there.

Bottom line, as a business owner you are allowed to deny access to anyone for any reason (ie not wearing shoes, being intoxicated ...etc), however this does not extend to acts of discrimination. Denying access to anyone for reasons like race, nationality, gender, or medical issues is completely unacceptable and that business should be forced to provide compensation for damages to anyone discriminated against.
 
taxslave
+1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by no color View Post

Discrimination is wrong in all itís forms. Whether itís discrimination based on race or medical disabilities, itís still discrimination . No gray area here. If a supermarket were to ban someone from shopping there because if that personís race, thereíd be an uproar in the streets the likes of which weíve never seen before. Yet discrimination based on medical disability is just brushed aside.
The government clearly stated in its decree that businesses need to make exceptions for those with medical conditions that prevent them from wearing masks. IGA completely ignored this provision and discriminated against this lady. Thankfully she went to the media which resulted in a public outrage, forcing IGA to backtrack and allow her to shop there.
Bottom line, as a business owner you are allowed to deny access to anyone for any reason (ie not wearing shoes, being intoxicated ...etc), however this does not extend to acts of discrimination. Denying access to anyone for reasons like race, nationality, gender, or medical issues is completely unacceptable and that business should be forced to provide compensation for damages to anyone discriminated against.

That depends on what the Quebec workers compensation rules are. Confidently left out of the story probably because it doesn't fit with the party line. Also I can think of several perfectly good reasons to bar a person for medical issues. Especially in a grocery store.
 
Hoid
+1
#7
A friend of ours has copd and can't wear a mask either.

She wears a face shield instead.
 
gerryh
+5
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by no color View Post

Discrimination is wrong in all itís forms. Whether itís discrimination based on race or medical disabilities, itís still discrimination . No gray area here. If a supermarket were to ban someone from shopping there because if that personís race, thereíd be an uproar in the streets the likes of which weíve never seen before. Yet discrimination based on medical disability is just brushed aside.
The government clearly stated in its decree that businesses need to make exceptions for those with medical conditions that prevent them from wearing masks. IGA completely ignored this provision and discriminated against this lady. Thankfully she went to the media which resulted in a public outrage, forcing IGA to backtrack and allow her to shop there.
Bottom line, as a business owner you are allowed to deny access to anyone for any reason (ie not wearing shoes, being intoxicated ...etc), however this does not extend to acts of discrimination. Denying access to anyone for reasons like race, nationality, gender, or medical issues is completely unacceptable and that business should be forced to provide compensation for damages to anyone discriminated against.

Sorry, nope. Her rights end when they infringe on others. She has other options for shopping beside going into IGA unmasked.
 
Mowich
+4
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Sorry, nope. Her rights end when they infringe on others. She has other options for shopping beside going into IGA unmasked.


Ah yes, the common sense solution to her shopping needs, gerry but then she wouldn't have been able to garner the MSMs attention would she.
 
Walter
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by no color View Post

Discrimination is wrong in all itís forms. Whether itís discrimination based on race or medical disabilities, itís still discrimination . No gray area here. If a supermarket were to ban someone from shopping there because if that personís race, thereíd be an uproar in the streets the likes of which weíve never seen before. Yet discrimination based on medical disability is just brushed aside.

Voting is an act of discrimination.
 
Girth
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by no color View Post

Discrimination is wrong in all it’s forms. Whether it’s discrimination based on race or medical disabilities, it’s still discrimination . No gray area here. If a supermarket were to ban someone from shopping there because if that person’s race, there’d be an uproar in the streets the likes of which we’ve never seen before. Yet discrimination based on medical disability is just brushed aside.
The government clearly stated in its decree that businesses need to make exceptions for those with medical conditions that prevent them from wearing masks. IGA completely ignored this provision and discriminated against this lady. Thankfully she went to the media which resulted in a public outrage, forcing IGA to backtrack and allow her to shop there.
Bottom line, as a business owner you are allowed to deny access to anyone for any reason (ie not wearing shoes, being intoxicated ...etc), however this does not extend to acts of discrimination. Denying access to anyone for reasons like race, nationality, gender, or medical issues is completely unacceptable and that business should be forced to provide compensation for damages to anyone discriminated against.

Except when she is lying. Anti-maskers are always trying to pull the "disabled" card, when medical evidence contradicts their claims.

PS...PTSD is a mental illness, not a physical illness.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2 / -1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Private business, has every right to refuse service to anyone for any or no reason. IGA isnt the only place she can buy grocery from. Instead of whining to the media, she just needed to go down the street to a different grocery store. But no, gotta whine about how hard done by she is.

Don't know about Canada, but in the U.S. it's a violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act to refuse service based on disability, unless a "reasonable accommodation" is unavailable.
 
DaSleeper
+3
#13
Du no about the US, but in Canada some grocery stores ( Loblaw comes to mind) there are probably others...
You can phone in your order and once it's prepared you drive to a pick-up point and they bring it to your vehicle!
 
Girth
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Don't know about Canada, but in the U.S. it's a violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act to refuse service based on disability, unless a "reasonable accommodation" is unavailable.

PTSD is no reason to not wear a mask, you moron.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

PTSD is no reason to not wear a mask, you moron.

She doesn't have PTSD, she has fibromyalgia.

"For the past 37 years, Schlenker has been suffering from nerve damage resulting in hypersensitivity - the form of fibromyalgia means the slightest touch or pressure causes pain to her face or head, including a mask."

But y'all go out back and play psychiatrist with the other kids now, hear?
 
Girth
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

She doesn't have PTSD, she has fibromyalgia.
"For the past 37 years, Schlenker has been suffering from nerve damage resulting in hypersensitivity - the form of fibromyalgia means the slightest touch or pressure causes pain to her face or head, including a mask."
But y'all go out back and play psychiatrist with the other kids now, hear?

Stick to your job as a loss prevention officer in Richmond Hill.

Her bullshit claim does not supersede the rights of people that want to shop at a store without the fear of contracting a deadly disease. In my opinion, she should be marched out, then shot in the back of the head. One less worthless mouth to feed.

Wear the mask, or get the hell out of the store.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

Stick to your job as a loss prevention officer in Richmond Hill.

Poor Skippy. Most of us get over thinking saying something over and over will make it true around age six.

Quote:

Her bullshit claim does not supersede the rights of people that want to shop at a store without the fear of contracting a deadly disease.

It appears the law disagrees with you.

Quote:

In my opinion, she should be marched out, then shot in the back of the head. One less worthless mouth to feed.

It is utterly unsurprising that this is your opinion. Like many emotionally unstable people, you wish death on anybody you pick out of the paper and choose to dislike.

Quote:

Wear the mask, or get the hell out of the store.

Or what? Big, bad Girthy will hope somebody else shoots you?
 
Girth
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Poor Skippy. Most of us get over thinking saying something over and over will make it true around age six.
It appears the law disagrees with you.
It is utterly unsurprising that this is your opinion. Like many emotionally unstable people, you wish death on anybody you pick out of the paper and choose to dislike.
Or what? Big, bad Girthy will hope somebody else shoots you?

You are ashamed of your ethnic background, and try to convince people that you are successful lawyer in the Washington DC area. The ruse is up. You have White guilt, and it is time you went to a professional who can help with your delusions.
 
taxslave
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

A friend of ours has copd and can't wear a mask either.
She wears a face shield instead.

That is probably a better idea than a mask anyway. Especially if you wear glasses.
I was talking to a clerk in my favorite marine supply store on saturday and they have instituted a mask police for staff and customers. I asked her how she liked working all day in a mask. SHe said she was ready to quit and this was about 6 hrs into the first day.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

You are ashamed of your ethnic background, and try to convince people that you are successful lawyer in the Washington DC area. The ruse is up. You have White guilt, and it is time you went to a professional who can help with your delusions.

Whatever you need to tell yourself to feel like you have some worth.
 
Dixie Cup
+4
#21
I agree she has alternatives - some grocery stores even deliver. I would ask her what her specific situation was - did she absolutely have to go to the store in person or can she not either order via phone and then pick it up or have it delivered. Hey Techom - I agree with you!!! Yay!!
 
Dixie Cup
+1
#22
I supposed I should elaborate - Canada also has the laws about discrimination against people with disabilities. |Hopefully she wasn't treated as Girth would suggest - hopefully she was treated with some compassion.
 
Hoid
#23
It's part of the cancel culture.

Let's shut IGA down.

They were mean to someone. Maybe.
 
Jinentonix
-1
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

Right you are, gerry. How were the IGA employees to know she had a medical condition? Did she have documentation proving her claim? But then these are the days when the eagerly offended get the headlines.

She had a referral from her doctor. It's right there in the article.
 
Jinentonix
+3
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

It's part of the cancel culture.

Let's shut IGA down.

They were mean to someone. Maybe.

You support the cancel culture dude. You're one of the idiots who cried in outrage about Don Cherry saying "You people" and applauded his being fired. You should be 100% behind this woman. The woman had a referral from her doctor.
But let's pretend she didn't. Let's all pretend the IGA didn't violate govt policy by refusing service to her. Let's all pretend that she's a self-entitled little shit who thinks the rules shouldn't apply to her. Because hey, she's disabled so f*ck her, right?
 
gerryh
+2
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

She doesn't have PTSD, she has fibromyalgia.
"For the past 37 years, Schlenker has been suffering from nerve damage resulting in hypersensitivity - the form of fibromyalgia means the slightest touch or pressure causes pain to her face or head, including a mask."
But y'all go out back and play psychiatrist with the other kids now, hear?


As has been pointed out, she has other options besides walking around the store without a mask.
Last edited by gerryh; 2 weeks ago at 12:34 PM..
 
gerryh
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

In my opinion, she should be marched out, then shot in the back of the head. One less worthless mouth to feed.


I do hope the white coats find your sorry ass soon, before you hurt someone. You are one sick son of a bitch.
 
gerryh
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

You are ashamed of your ethnic background, and try to convince people that you are successful lawyer in the Washington DC area. The ruse is up. You have White guilt, and it is time you went to a professional who can help with your delusions.


And you're a proven moron, what's your point.
 
Jinentonix
+1
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

As has been pointed out, she has other options besides walking around the store without a mask.

You've been to her home and verified she has internet have you?
 
gerryh
+1
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

You've been to her home and verified she has internet have you?

She needs internet to go to another store?
 

Similar Threads

7
When the Mask Slips
by Tecumsehsbones | Sep 23rd, 2016
4
Obama mask not allowed.........
by DaSleeper | Nov 1st, 2013