Seems legit here given the usual comments.


Tygerbright
#1
https://www.psypost.org/2019/09/peop...TaC786IqyzRVnw

People with lower emotional intelligence are more likely to hold right-wing views, study finds
 
Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
gerryh
+5
#2  Top Rated Post
And in the last 2 paragraphs they back peddle and insert disclaimers. In other words, the study really means nothing.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

And in the last 2 paragraphs they back peddle and insert disclaimers. In other words, the study really means nothing.

Sociological and social psychology studies generally do (mean nothing, that is), and even when they do, they should be taken with a block of salt and lots and lots of caveats and disclaimers.

If anything, I'll credit the authors for backpedaling. Social psychology and sociology aren't Newtonian physics. They're a lot more complicated than vector analysis.
 
taxslave
+1
#4
What exactly is emotional intelligence and how is it measured? Looks to me like they mean people capable of rational thought.
 
gerryh
+4
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

What exactly is emotional intelligence and how is it measured? Looks to me like they mean people capable of rational thought.

Its bullshit psuedo science.
 
Jinentonix
+5
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Its bullshit psuedo science.

Ding. The left think emotional relativism is emotional intelligence. There is no such thing as "emotional intelligence" because by and large, emotions are illogical. They are nothing more than autonomous chemical reactions responding to stimuli. Being ruled by ones emotions doesn't make you intelligent, quite the opposite actually. When you let "feelings" supersede logic and rational thought, you're not acting very intelligently at all.
 
Serryah
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Ding. The left think emotional relativism is emotional intelligence. There is no such thing as "emotional intelligence" because by and large, emotions are illogical. They are nothing more than autonomous chemical reactions responding to stimuli. Being ruled by ones emotions doesn't make you intelligent, quite the opposite actually. When you let "feelings" supersede logic and rational thought, you're not acting very intelligently at all.


Aaannndddd... you absolutely nullified your argument with "the left".


About as equal to anything "The left" says when they say "The right".


But question, you said "When you let 'feelings' supersede logic and rational thought - what happens when it's those who have right wing aligned political beliefs that act on this? Are they no longer right wing or worthy supporters of those causes, but instead unintelligent people who should just be ignored?
 
gerryh
+3
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

Aaannndddd... you absolutely nullified your argument with "the left".
About as equal to anything "The left" says when they say "The right".
But question, you said "When you let 'feelings' supersede logic and rational thought - what happens when it's those who have right wing aligned political beliefs that act on this? Are they no longer right wing or worthy supporters of those causes, but instead unintelligent people who should just be ignored?

You agree, then, that this "study" is bs as it "nullifies" itself by using "the right".
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

What exactly is emotional intelligence and how is it measured? Looks to me like they mean people capable of rational thought.

Funny you should ask. . .

What Is Emotional Intelligence?

Emotional intelligence refers to the ability to identify and manage one’s own emotions, as well as the emotions of others.

Emotional intelligence is generally said to include at least three skills: emotional awareness, or the ability to identify and name one’s own emotions; the ability to harness those emotions and apply them to tasks like thinking and problem solving; and the ability to manage emotions, which includes both regulating one’s own emotions when necessary and helping others to do the same.

There is no validated psychometric test or scale for emotional intelligence as there is for "g," the general intelligence factor—and many argue that emotional intelligence is therefore not an actual construct, but a way of describing interpersonal skills that go by other names.

Despite this criticism, the concept of emotional intelligence—sometimes referred to as emotional quotient or EQ—has gained wide acceptance. In recent years, some employers have even incorporated emotional intelligence tests into their application and interview processes, on the theory that someone high in emotional intelligence would make a better leader or coworker.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...l-intelligence
 
Serryah
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

You agree, then, that this "study" is bs as it "nullifies" itself by using "the right".


I didn't say that.


I said you nullified your comment because you used 'the left', as if everyone in the left acts or thinks or feels like you stated.


I also said it's the same when anything "the left" says when they say "the right".


This study though is just that, a study, and while yes people could be biased, that would invalidate the study, thus the researchers have to be neutral about the subject at hand.


I'm also wondering if you read it - or understood it - because at the end of the article the study authors specifically say that people need caution interpreting the results.

In which case, all that does is to say using the article to dismiss right wingers for their beliefs is not exactly smart... in a nutshell.
 
Serryah
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Funny you should ask. . .

What Is Emotional Intelligence?

Emotional intelligence refers to the ability to identify and manage one’s own emotions, as well as the emotions of others.

Emotional intelligence is generally said to include at least three skills: emotional awareness, or the ability to identify and name one’s own emotions; the ability to harness those emotions and apply them to tasks like thinking and problem solving; and the ability to manage emotions, which includes both regulating one’s own emotions when necessary and helping others to do the same.

There is no validated psychometric test or scale for emotional intelligence as there is for "g," the general intelligence factor—and many argue that emotional intelligence is therefore not an actual construct, but a way of describing interpersonal skills that go by other names.

Despite this criticism, the concept of emotional intelligence—sometimes referred to as emotional quotient or EQ—has gained wide acceptance. In recent years, some employers have even incorporated emotional intelligence tests into their application and interview processes, on the theory that someone high in emotional intelligence would make a better leader or coworker.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...l-intelligence


I've heard about emotional stuff being included on applications for work; that's kind of scary, IMO.
 
taxslave
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Its bullshit psuedo science.

No surprise.
 
Girth
+3
#13
Tygerbright has very low emotional intelligence. I blame it on gender dysphoria.
 
taxslave
+2
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

I've heard about emotional stuff being included on applications for work; that's kind of scary, IMO.

Not really,it is quite common for management. I have just never heard it referred to as Emotional intelligence. Some places they even make prospective managers talk to a shrink. The idea is they want to weed out anyone that will fall apart at the first bit of stress. Not sure how effective it is but I guess if a person wants the job bad enough they will submit to it.
 
Serryah
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

Tygerbright has very low emotional intelligence. I blame it on gender dysphoria.


Still love being so wrong you need to keep proving it, I see.
 
Tygerbright
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

Tygerbright has very low emotional intelligence. I blame it on gender dysphoria.

Not dyshoric.
 
Jinentonix
+4
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

Aaannndddd... you absolutely nullified your argument with "the left".

Aaaaanndddd....no I didn't. Every time this kind of pseudo-intellectual bullshit gets posted it's from a die-hard leftist.


Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

About as equal to anything "The left" says when they say "The right".

Except I'm not a right-winger. Well, maybe by today's widely moved goal posts standards I am but I don't give a f*ck in that regard. I'm a Centrist and always have been.


Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

But question, you said "When you let 'feelings' supersede logic and rational thought - what happens when it's those who have right wing aligned political beliefs that act on this? Are they no longer right wing or worthy supporters of those causes, but instead unintelligent people who should just be ignored?

Yep. Now you're getting it.
 
Serryah
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Aaaaanndddd....no I didn't. Every time this kind of pseudo-intellectual bullshit gets posted it's from a die-hard leftist.


As opposed to the junk the 'die hard rightwing' post here?


Just because you don't agree doesn't mean it's pseudo-intellectual BS, either.



Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Except I'm not a right-winger. Well, maybe by today's widely moved goal posts standards I am but I don't give a f*ck in that regard. I'm a Centrist and always have been.


Never said you were right wing, but you are one giant azzhole and not what is normally considered centrist, either.



Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Yep. Now you're getting it.


Got it for a while, thanks.
 
Girth
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

As opposed to the junk the 'die hard rightwing' post here?
Just because you don't agree doesn't mean it's pseudo-intellectual BS, either.
Never said you were right wing, but you are one giant azzhole and not what is normally considered centrist, either.
Got it for a while, thanks.

I think I am having a heart attack.
 
Serryah
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

I think I am having a heart attack.


I don't do CPR; sorry.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

I've heard about emotional stuff being included on applications for work; that's kind of scary, IMO.

I question whether one can test for qualities as elusive and poorly defined as "leadership" and in this case "asshole-ism," but they should be able to work out ways to get at least a ballpark measurement.
 
taxslave
+2
#22
You can test for leadership qualities, or perhaps easier the lack of them. In industrial settings it is probably easier since all you really have to do is look at who looks for solutions to problems that arise and who sits back and waits to be told what to do. A good leader is one that is prepared to listen and change direcion when things are not working. AN azzhole just keeps plunging ahead making things worse. Not sure if the same criteria could be applied in government or academic settings.
 
Girth
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

I don't do CPR; sorry.

I was not talking to you, blubber.


Turns out I was having heart palpitations, but I am OK now.
 
Jinentonix
+2
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

As opposed to the junk the 'die hard rightwing' post here?

Exactly, junk. But it's also not the die hard right -wingers I'm worried about. They aren't the ones looting, rioting, murdering cops, shooting or assaulting people, violently taking over neighbourhoods and basically calling for an insurrection because the big sucky babies lost an election and don't wanna lose this one coming up. Are you not familiar with the history of extremists? Commies destroyed statues and monuments of countries they took over. Nazis destroyed statues and monuments of countries they occupied. ISIS destroyed statues and monuments in the territories they occupied. Sound familiar? All three also used violence to try and cow the population into seeing tings their way. Sound familiar?


Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

Just because you don't agree doesn't mean it's pseudo-intellectual BS, either.

It's pseudo-intellectual bullshit because that's exactly what it is.



Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

Never said you were right wing, but you are one giant azzhole and not what is normally considered centrist, either.

A) If it wasn't for us assholes there wouldn't be little shits like you around. B) being a Centrist doesn't mean kissing leftard ass while smiling politely at their insane nonsense.




Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

Got it for a while, thanks.

I was wrong, you're not getting it.
 
Serryah
+1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

I was not talking to you, blubber.


Turns out I was having heart palpitations, but I am OK now.


Well I was going to apologize since I thought you were just joking... but... considering your azzhole comment to the start of this...
 
Serryah
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Exactly, junk. But it's also not the die hard right -wingers I'm worried about. They aren't the ones looting, rioting, murdering cops, shooting or assaulting people, violently taking over neighbourhoods and basically calling for an insurrection because the big sucky babies lost an election and don't wanna lose this one coming up.


...


Wow... that's a LOT of assumption you're throwing on an a bunch of people... So are they ALL doing these things you say, or just some and to the extreme that they get air time?


I also think you need to check recent right wing marches and what they've done, including the rioting, the assaulting, the murder, etc, etc.


Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Are you not familiar with the history of extremists?


Yep, I just don't focus on one side of it like you are doing.


Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Commies destroyed statues and monuments of countries they took over. Nazis destroyed statues and monuments of countries they occupied. ISIS destroyed statues and monuments in the territories they occupied. Sound familiar? All three also used violence to try and cow the population into seeing tings their way. Sound familiar?


Yep, sounds familiar totally.


But here's a hot tip for you - I don't really agree with the statue thing in full. The statues of traitors, hell yes, take them down. But in the case of say the US founding fathers, or Sir John A even here in Canada... that just needs to effin' stop any time now.


Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

It's pseudo-intellectual bullshit because that's exactly what it is.


In your opinion; unless you're one of those scientists who studies these things, (and sometimes even then) it doesn't mean you're right about it.




Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

A) If it wasn't for us assholes there wouldn't be little shits like you around. B) being a Centrist doesn't mean kissing leftard ass while smiling politely at their insane nonsense.


Oh I know, but it also doesn't mean sucking right wing cock so they don't beat me because I'm not exactly like them. As for me being a little shit... takes one and all that jazz



Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

I was wrong, you're not getting it.


Nah... but you can squeeze that 'ass'umption out as much as you want, it still will be a pile of shyte.
 
Tygerbright
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Exactly, junk. But it's also not the die hard right -wingers I'm worried about. They aren't the ones looting, rioting, murdering cops, shooting or assaulting people, violently taking over neighbourhoods and basically calling for an insurrection because the big sucky babies lost an election and don't wanna lose this one coming up. Are you not familiar with the history of extremists? Commies destroyed statues and monuments of countries they took over. Nazis destroyed statues and monuments of countries they occupied. ISIS destroyed statues and monuments in the territories they occupied. Sound familiar? All three also used violence to try and cow the population into seeing tings their way. Sound familiar?


It's pseudo-intellectual bullshit because that's exactly what it is.



A) If it wasn't for us assholes there wouldn't be little shits like you around. B) being a Centrist doesn't mean kissing leftard ass while smiling politely at their insane nonsense.




I was wrong, you're not getting it.

Well for my part I see you as a racist and a bigot that likes to use whataboutism to defend statues of genocidal asshats.
 
Jinentonix
+3
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Tygerbright View Post

Well for my part I see you as a racist and a bigot that likes to use whataboutism to defend statues of genocidal asshats.

Actually dumb ass, I'm the kind of person who is willing to change their mind when facts are presented to them. When it comes to the Confederacy statues, I've changed my opinion on them since most of them were installed during the Civil Rights Movement in the 50's and 60's as a big middle finger to the Movement. But it's also a case of the Democrats desperate to erase a part of their own history. As for "genocidal asshats", which statues of genocidal asshats have I defended via whataboutism?



And by all means, do tell what makes you see me as a racist and a bigot? Because I don't buy into the extremist bullshit from within BLM or the Alphabet Community? Because I have a problem with muslims and christians? I'd love to hear your reasoning. I think it'll be very telling about who and what you are.
 
Tygerbright
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Actually dumb ass, I'm the kind of person who is willing to change their mind when facts are presented to them. When it comes to the Confederacy statues, I've changed my opinion on them since most of them were installed during the Civil Rights Movement in the 50's and 60's as a big middle finger to the Movement. But it's also a case of the Democrats desperate to erase a part of their own history. As for "genocidal asshats", which statues of genocidal asshats have I defended via whataboutism?



And by all means, do tell what makes you see me as a racist and a bigot? Because I don't buy into the extremist bullshit from within BLM or the Alphabet Community? Because I have a problem with muslims and christians? I'd love to hear your reasoning. I think it'll be very telling about who and what you are.

Your attitude, your comments here. You come across as racist and willfully obtusive like your stuff with the statues.
 
taxslave
+1
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by Tygerbright View Post

Your attitude, your comments here. You come across as racist and willfully obtusive like your stuff with the statues.

No he doesn't. You are just so far adrift in left field you have almost come around to meet the right field. As in so far out of tpouch with reality you may very well be in a different dimension.
 

Similar Threads