Identity Politics

petros
+5
Its international law. If your paperwork says F, you're an F. Filing for asylum is not the time or place for an emotional outburst.

It's only paperwork.

Serryah
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Its international law. If your paperwork says F, you're an F. Filing for asylum is not the time or place for an emotional outburst.

It's only paperwork.

Unless the paperwork of your previous country is wrong.

And if it's only paperwork what does it matter then to have the previous countries incorrect information?

Because it's not 'only paperwork', it is what sets you up with the government of that country you're going to. It's also a pain in the ass to change if you're Trans. It's one of those has to be done things, but in cases like this, why not get it right to begin with?

Or leave gender out of the issue if the person claiming is Trans until they have the supportive paperwork to give the proper gender? Or even a little * beside 'gender' to denote that the person who is listed as one gender will be changing that ASAP.

There are ways to amend things.

Trans people have to be patient though too; it's not going to all happen at once. Now that it's a known problem, it just needs to be fixed.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

It's only paperwork.

What international law is that?

Ron in Regina
+5
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

On one hand I agree, that in the end, you take what you can get just to get away from that kind of situation.

It sucks hard and yeah it might throw you into more emotional turmoil but at least you'll be in a place to get help for it and be safe.

But I do get where they're coming from and I do think things need to change so that situation doesn't have to continually happen.

I get where you're coming from too. Once someone decides they're rolling the dice on fleeing across the globe as a refugee (in some places it might be to a neighbouring country but in Canada's case with only one physically connected country, any real refugee would have to arrive here by boat or plane from elsewhere, or should have claimed refugee status in the US, or is refugee 'shopping' and should be sent back to the US if that's where they arrived from), to escape real persecution, this should be such a secondary matter or their a whiner and they're case should be reviewed very very closely.

There's always time to straighten out the bureaucracy once one is through the process and safe, but maybe I'm too bias & comfortable in my own skin to be able to put mentally myself in this other person's place. I don't think anyone is going to confuse me with being a woman, so if a bureaucrat thinks I need to be a woman on paper, it would appeal to my sense of humour until I got it straightened out, but I know who I am so I'm....not very.....empathetic....to this person's grievance in this situation.
Last edited by Ron in Regina; 3 weeks ago at 09:12 PM..Reason: typo

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Gender identity is surely as important to people as religion, and look how many people have acted in ways that were anything from "not in their apparent best interests" right on up to "bat-shit crazy" in fidelity to their chosen fairy tale?

Oddly, most Western countries claim that you have a fundamental right to practice your religion, and will defend your right to cling to the ol' rugged cross, or hammer, or star, or crescent, or funny squiggle right up to death (if you're White), then when you change, defend your right to your new fairy tale every bit as zealously.

But in those same countries, majorities or at least substantial minorities hold as a matter of truth as unequivocal as F=Gm1m2/r2 also insist that your gender depends on the crotch gear you were born with (even if you change it surgically and hormonally), that there are two and only two, and would cheerfully imprison, torture, or kill anybody who decides otherwise.

Go figure.

gerryh
+1
Yup, cause having a cock or a cu nt means nothing. It all depends on what you feel like on any given day.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Yup, cause having a cock or a cu nt means nothing. It all depends on what you feel like on any given day.

Nope, you are what is says you are on the paper.

It's international law, y'know.

Dixie Cup
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

Unless the paperwork of your previous country is wrong.
And if it's only paperwork what does it matter then to have the previous countries incorrect information?
Because it's not 'only paperwork', it is what sets you up with the government of that country you're going to. It's also a pain in the ass to change if you're Trans. It's one of those has to be done things, but in cases like this, why not get it right to begin with?
Or leave gender out of the issue if the person claiming is Trans until they have the supportive paperwork to give the proper gender? Or even a little * beside 'gender' to denote that the person who is listed as one gender will be changing that ASAP.
There are ways to amend things.
Trans people have to be patient though too; it's not going to all happen at once. Now that it's a known problem, it just needs to be fixed.

The issue is that people are demanding everything IMMEDIATELY. Her temper tantrum should be saved as an emotion that's gotten out of hand He/she needs to ensure they're safe first, then make arrangements to change the documents. What's more important - paper work or safety? Get over herself and then get the paper work corrected.

Mind you, I don't know exactly how much "vetting" immigration does now-a-days but there's that too. But I think it's much to do about nothing - she can get the paperwork corrected and go on to live a nice, free (for now anyways) society where she can be who she truly is.

Dixie Cup
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Gender identity is surely as important to people as religion, and look how many people have acted in ways that were anything from "not in their apparent best interests" right on up to "bat-shit crazy" in fidelity to their chosen fairy tale?
Oddly, most Western countries claim that you have a fundamental right to practice your religion, and will defend your right to cling to the ol' rugged cross, or hammer, or star, or crescent, or funny squiggle right up to death (if you're White), then when you change, defend your right to your new fairy tale every bit as zealously.
But in those same countries, majorities or at least substantial minorities hold as a matter of truth as unequivocal as F=Gm1m2/r2 also insist that your gender depends on the crotch gear you were born with (even if you change it surgically and hormonally), that there are two and only two, and would cheerfully imprison, torture, or kill anybody who decides otherwise.
Go figure.

Who knew - biology means absolutely nothing! Oookkkaaayyy!

Twin_Moose
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie Cup View Post

The issue is that people are demanding everything IMMEDIATELY. Her temper tantrum should be saved as an emotion that's gotten out of hand He/she needs to ensure they're safe first, then make arrangements to change the documents. What's more important - paper work or safety? Get over herself and then get the paper work corrected.
Mind you, I don't know exactly how much "vetting" immigration does now-a-days but there's that too. But I think it's much to do about nothing - she can get the paperwork corrected and go on to live a nice, free (for now anyways) society where she can be who she truly is.

Me thinks by arguing his/her gender up front would lend credence to the claim of refugee status for threat of life over gender preference once in then he/she can bring the wife over

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie Cup View Post

Who knew - biology means absolutely nothing! Oookkkaaayyy!

What an amazingly stupid statement.

Well done you.