Black Lives Matter


Girth
#391



Canada and California have roughly the same population.

Canada averages 25 Police killings per year

California had 72 Police killings in the first 5 months of 2015.

In other words, California was no track to record 172 Police killings, nearly 7 times that of Canada.
 
petros
+1
#392
Is it still 2015? I thought that ended a couple weeks ago.
 
Girth
#393
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Is it still 2015?

Well in 2016, Police killed 1,093 Americans.

Canada has averaged roughly 25 Police killings/year for most of the past decade.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...gs-us-database

In America this is the rate (per million people) that different ethnic groups are killed by Police:

Native American 10.13
Black 6.66
Hispanic 3.23
White 2.90
Asian 1.17
Last edited by Girth; 1 day ago at 10:05 PM..
 
gerryh
+1
#394
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

It's not that relevant.
Black Lives Matter (BLM) is a decentralized movement advocating for non-violent civil disobedience in protest against incidents of police brutality and all racially motivated violence against Black people.

Blacks in Canada make up roughly 3.5% of the population, and about 8% of people that have been killed by Police in the last 20 years (nearly all in the GTA). Not great, but it certainly cannot compare to the United States. In fact, Indigenous people, who make up roughly 4.8% of Canadians, account for about 20% of people who have been murdered by Police.
So why should BLM have so many designated murals, when the real issue in Canada, is Aboriginals are far more likely than Black Canadians to have negative dealings with Police. It's a case of America culture and the perception of Black people being targeted by Police in Canada, when in reality, this is not necessarily the case.


Have the Natives petitioned the city to put a mural up? If not, then it's not relevant.
 
Girth
+4
#395
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Have the Natives petitioned the city to put a mural up? If not, then it's not relevant.

I'm referring to what Drury states. How relevant is putting up BLM murals across Calgary, when the whole movement was born to protest the killings of Black persons in the United States?

What is painting over one of the city's most artistic and recognizable murals going to accomplish, besides ordinary Calgarians feeling resentment, and a sense of loss over a beautiful mural, which was meant as a painting of hope and peace?
 
gerryh
#396
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

I'm referring to what Drury states. How relevant is putting up BLM murals across Calgary, when the whole movement was born to protest the killings of Black persons in the United States?
What is painting over one of the city's most artistic and recognizable murals going to accomplish, besides ordinary Calgarians feeling resentment, and a sense of loss over a beautiful mural, which was meant as a painting of hope and peace?


First, there are canadian blm "chapters".

Second, the mural in question is not getting painted over. Calgarians made it very clear that we would not be happy campers if it was done.
 
petros
+1
#397
Quote: Originally Posted by Girth View Post

Well in 2016, Police killed 1,093 Americans.
Canada has averaged roughly 25 Police killings/year for most of the past decade.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...gs-us-database
In America this is the rate (per million people) that different ethnic groups are killed by Police:
Native American 10.13
Black 6.66
Hispanic 3.23
White 2.90
Asian 1.17

Fewer people stupid enough to shoot at cops in Canada. How do assaults on cops rank?
 
petros
#398
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

First, there are canadian blm "chapters".
Second, the mural in question is not getting painted over. Calgarians made it very clear that we would not be happy campers if it was done.

Camping weather has been good?
 
gerryh
+2
#399
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Camping weather has been good?


Been fantastic.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#400
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

US = black gang bangers
CA = FN gang bangers.
Conclusion - Dont be a gang banger and live happy yo.

Yeah, tell it to Breonna Taylor (asleep in her bed), Elijah McClain (walking home from the store), Eric Garner (selling loose cigarettes), Bijan Ghaisar (driving on a public road), John Crawford (shopping at WalMart), John Geer (arguing with his wife), Charles Kinsey (working with autistic children), Rekiah Boyd (having a party with friends), Tamir Rice (playing in the park), Atatiana Jefferson (standing in her kitchen), and Jordan Edwards (leaving a party because it was getting rowdy).

NB for Jinentonix: John Geer was White, so try not to stroke out with your whataboutery.
 
Serryah
#401
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Yeah, tell it to Breonna Taylor (asleep in her bed), Elijah McClain (walking home from the store), Eric Garner (selling loose cigarettes), Bijan Ghaisar (driving on a public road), John Crawford (shopping at WalMart), John Geer (arguing with his wife), Charles Kinsey (working with autistic children), Rekiah Boyd (having a party with friends), Tamir Rice (playing in the park), Atatiana Jefferson (standing in her kitchen), and Jordan Edwards (leaving a party because it was getting rowdy).

NB for Jinentonix: John Geer was White, so try not to stroke out with your whataboutery.


For a while at the start of it all I didn't get BLM; I was one of those 'all lives matter, not just black' types.


It took someone explaining why it's "Black" for me to get it.


I think in the end some people, even hearing the reason, don't want to acknowledge the reason - cops kill people all over too much for stupid reasons and cops have a HUGE ego/authority issue, but they kill people of color and mostly blacks at a rate that is not acceptable.

BLM isn't just blacks only, but blacks are the focus.

Thing is, too, is that when a cop gets a call about a crime, if you say the suspect is white, there's also a hair color, eye color, size, body shape, etc for visible confirmation of what a cop can look for. So when a cop comes up on a white person who has maybe same body size and shape, but different eyes and hair, the cop then can legit ignore that person and move on.

For blacks? Unless their hair is dyed, their hair is naturally black, their eyes naturally just one color - brown - and the body size and shape can vary but black eyes, hair, skin fits a LOT of black people. So the visual recognition of a suspect becomes a guessing game. And instead of believing blacks when they say they didn't do a thing, it's automatic you did and you're resisting arrest.


IMO the issue of blacks with police - and other people of color who also have the same issues as above - is effin' complicated. It's not just a training issue with the police, but a culture/society issue with people of all colors getting offended when cops show and accuse them of something they didn't do. Anger escalates the problem until things happen.
 
petros
+1
#402
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Yeah, tell it to Breonna Taylor (asleep in her bed), Elijah McClain (walking home from the store), Eric Garner (selling loose cigarettes), Bijan Ghaisar (driving on a public road), John Crawford (shopping at WalMart), John Geer (arguing with his wife), Charles Kinsey (working with autistic children), Rekiah Boyd (having a party with friends), Tamir Rice (playing in the park), Atatiana Jefferson (standing in her kitchen), and Jordan Edwards (leaving a party because it was getting rowdy).
NB for Jinentonix: John Geer was White, so try not to stroke out with your whataboutery.

How nice. Can you list the dead gang bangers that easily?
 
petros
+1
#403
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

IMO the issue of blacks with police - and other people of color who also have the same issues as above - is effin' complicated. It's not just a training issue with the police, but a culture/society issue with people of all colors getting offended when cops show and accuse them of something they didn't do. Anger escalates the problem until things happen.

That's funny. They get mad when accused...are you serious?

Any chance assault and violence against police from those groups has been steadily increasing for 30 years?

Why is that?

Maybe in your small city the cops are white men. That's a rarity.

Cop is not a race incase you werent sure.
Last edited by petros; 1 day ago at 08:13 AM..
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#404
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

That's funny. They get mad when accused...are you serious?
Any chance assault and violence against police from those groups has been steadily increasing for 30 years?
Why is that?
Maybe in your small city the cops are white men. That's a rarity.
Cop is not a race incase you werent sure.

Interesting. You put identify me as a source for a Serryah quote.

I'll assume it was an innocent error.
 
taxslave
+3
#405
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

For a while at the start of it all I didn't get BLM; I was one of those 'all lives matter, not just black' types.
It took someone explaining why it's "Black" for me to get it.
I think in the end some people, even hearing the reason, don't want to acknowledge the reason - cops kill people all over too much for stupid reasons and cops have a HUGE ego/authority issue, but they kill people of color and mostly blacks at a rate that is not acceptable.
BLM isn't just blacks only, but blacks are the focus.
Thing is, too, is that when a cop gets a call about a crime, if you say the suspect is white, there's also a hair color, eye color, size, body shape, etc for visible confirmation of what a cop can look for. So when a cop comes up on a white person who has maybe same body size and shape, but different eyes and hair, the cop then can legit ignore that person and move on.
For blacks? Unless their hair is dyed, their hair is naturally black, their eyes naturally just one color - brown - and the body size and shape can vary but black eyes, hair, skin fits a LOT of black people. So the visual recognition of a suspect becomes a guessing game. And instead of believing blacks when they say they didn't do a thing, it's automatic you did and you're resisting arrest.
IMO the issue of blacks with police - and other people of color who also have the same issues as above - is effin' complicated. It's not just a training issue with the police, but a culture/society issue with people of all colors getting offended when cops show and accuse them of something they didn't do. Anger escalates the problem until things happen.

There is not a single convict in jail that is guilty either. Just ask them.
 
petros
+1
#406
That is interesting. It's usually you these days misquoting me.

I'm buried into weather reports. It's of big concern to keep up on overnight lows, dew points, winds at time of day etc. I was gifted a 2 day delay in work.
 

Similar Threads

435
Black Lives Matter-Ugliness of Racism.
by Ocean Breeze | 4 days ago
56
Police Respond to Black Lives Matter
by Tecumsehsbones | Jun 28th, 2020
45
The Myths of Black Lives Matter
by Locutus | Jan 30th, 2017