Fast-charging stations for electric vehicles coming to Trans-Canada Highway

DaSleeper
Poor Flossy....preaches for electric vehicles.....This is all he deserves....

[youtube]U91Zp9wWS30[/youtube]

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
The problem with this investment is Canada will have to keep providing subsidies and rebates for EVs. I've already stated what happens in countries and states that scrapped incentives for buying EVs, sales plummet. In Denmark sales of EVs and ECVs dropped by over 60% as incentives were eliminated. In the state of Georgia sales plummeted by 80% after the incentives were eliminated. The results are similar everywhere the incentives have been scrapped.
But what's really interesting about those sales while the incentives were in place is most of the sales were actually wholesale. Normally in the auto industry wholesale accounts for about 6% of sales. IN the EV market it accounts for 56% of the sales. Meaning that most of those EV never ended up in the hands of an end user. So even the sales figures were casually misrepresented.

Quote:

All one has to do is acknowledge the amount of Government subsidy that's going into trying to popularize EV's to see that this is all about politics and optics, and has zero to do with the environment.

It goes beyond EVs though. Even in the renewable energy market as soon as the subsidies are removed, investment drops significantly. Remember all the crowing about China and how they were really embracing "green" energy? Yeah, it was an embrace of generous subsidies they were embracing. Even through the first half of 2016 investment was rolling along in China, until the end of the subsidies. The second half of 2016 saw green energy investment in China drop by more than 50%.

So basically as you said, the move to "green" tech isn't about the environment. It IS about how much money corporations can grab before reality sets in and the bottom falls out though.

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Why?

Do people of thought scare you?

No, but electric cars clearly frighten you.

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

If I had to choose between an oil leak and a nuclear meltdown, hmmmm.....

Make them small like the ones used in ships and subs. For smaller places over-gravity machines at every building would eliminate widespread power failure

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Considering that pathetically weak response, I'd surmise that Petros is right on the money.
It's like a religion with you, isn't it. You just can't deal with anyone pointing out the major flaws in your foolish, poorly thought out belief system.

JamesBondo
$500k per charger. I wasnt expecting them to be as cheap as a usb charger, but 500k is bit rediculous dont you think?

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Considering that pathetically weak response, I'd surmise that Petros is right on the money.
It's like a religion with you, isn't it. You just can't deal with anyone pointing out the major flaws in your foolish, poorly thought out belief system.

That's a lot of nothing burger.

Come back when you've got something to put in it.

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+2
34 whole charging stations.... Why, that ought to accommodate a few dozen cars at least!

Hilarious. Two provinces make up Canada and there'll be 34 charging stations between them? Christ, how efficient ARE these piece of crap EVs? I could drive from North Bay to the other side of Manitoba on two, maybe three tanks of gas. Are there even 34 gas stations along that stretch of the Trans-Canada?

The efficiency drops as the weight of the load increases... Throw a passanger in and maybe a kid in the back and your range drops... Think twice about packing along any luggage.

Not quite. For example, if you buy a Tesla you'd have to drive the car for 8 years before it became carbon neutral.

The spent batteries are loaded with all kinds of toxic nasties and heavy metals that are not recyclable in perpetuity and they will need to be replaced every number of years.... Your average run-of-the-mill greentard is oblivious to this fact

petros
+1

Not at all. They are for urban use and will be for long while. I don't have a use for one.

mentalfloss
Don't worry, there will be an electric pickup in less than 10 years.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation

They're working on the macho, manly names for them in think tanks, as we type ...

The Chevy BOLT

The Toyota THOR

the Ford FLASH

the Dodge BLITZ

Walter
Like I said, "Fake news."

petros

I said useful.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

... the Tesla MEGATRON ...

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

But if you are low on fuel, there is likely a gas station close by. And if you do run out, you can walk with a gas can to the next one or call CAA. Electric ones your only choice would be a tow truck or to carry a real long extention cord.

That was a problem for the first automobiles as well. A number of them ended up being towed home by a horse. But somehow they overcame that minor obstacle. With a network of thousands of gas stations already in place adding an electrical charger should not be difficult.

MHz
Since most vehicles have a trunk why not utilize that area to put in a one cylinder genset that charges on the fly. Cross Canada would be stopping and rather than filling up you swap modules (pull behind for pickups) An E-Camper would be a 2 cylinder diesel or NG turbine and then it is non-stop for a coast to coast. Beside the hi-way is the train tracks and the power they provide is for the people mover pods that run just above the trains engines and cars and at speeds above 500kph, pack a lunch and cross Canada non-stop on a single person pod that can start with a full glass of water. That would prompt the question, 'What happened to Winnipeg?' as it would be just where people going either direction would be dozing off. The Rockies to the coast would still be seat-belt and should the pod become a flotation device in a fast flowing river the glass will tip over, every time and you get to testify to that.
3D version of the trip available for the home crowd who have a VR pod of sorts. (and gamers base for various battlefields/race tracks/ any 3d world with sensory feedback so libraries could become quite large even for home subscribers. for only $3 more per month) Many subscribers at the lowest price possible is more stable than the cream of the crop using the latest equipment at a premium price per month.
WOW started out like that, build it and they will come.

Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation

20 minutes for a limited charge. Still too long when winter can kill you in 5 minutes.

Really? In that case you could probably freeze to death while filling your gas tank. You really are clutching at straws.

Hilarious. Two provinces make up Canada and there'll be 34 charging stations between them? Christ, how efficient ARE these piece of crap EVs? I could drive from North Bay to the other side of Manitoba on two, maybe three tanks of gas. Are there even 34 gas stations along that stretch of the Trans-Canada?l.

Read post 45

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Perhaps they are just trying to fill up the empty bandwidth and if they let any more real news out their not so intricate plan falls apart.

DaSleeper
+2

I said useful.

Have you noticed that those ideologues in the forum who promote electric cars don't even own one?
Probably don't even know anyone who owns one?
A Toyota Hybrid of an acquaintance of mine averages the same yearly miles per gallon that I do with my gas only automobile.
The only reason he bought it it was as a status symbol,
He wanted to be the first one in Kap with one...
The only reason he's keeping it is because of the big bucks he paid for it!

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

Really? In that case you could probably freeze to death while filling your gas tank. You really are clutching at straws.

Read post 45

It's never taken me 20 minutes to put in gas. You?

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

That was a problem for the first automobiles as well. A number of them ended up being towed home by a horse. But somehow they overcame that minor obstacle. With a network of thousands of gas stations already in place adding an electrical charger should not be difficult.

Did the government build the first network of gas stations?

What do you suppose has stopped the addition of those electrical chargers?

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Did the government build the first network of gas stations?

What do you suppose has stopped the addition of those electrical chargers?

Freedom

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Have you noticed that those ideologues in the forum who promote electric cars don't even own one?
Probably don't even know anyone who owns one?
A Toyota Hybrid of an acquaintance of mine averages the same yearly miles per gallon that I do with my gas only automobile.
The only reason he bought it it was as a status symbol,
He wanted to be the first one in Kap with one...
The only reason he's keeping it is because of the big bucks he paid for it!

That 07 Civic is a real emissions gem.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation

Freedom

That 07 Civic is a real emissions gem.

It probably is, too.

JamesBondo
+1
good luck on the solar panels. I've got "25W" solar panels that only produce 0.2 Amps instead of the promised 2+amps. The manufacturers don't rate them for Canada.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

34 whole charging stations.... Why, that ought to accommodate a few dozen cars at least!

The efficiency drops as the weight of the load increases... Throw a passanger in and maybe a kid in the back and your range drops... Think twice about packing along any luggage.

The spent batteries are loaded with all kinds of toxic nasties and heavy metals that are not recyclable in perpetuity and they will need to be replaced every number of years.... Your average run-of-the-mill greentard is oblivious to this fact

With heat or AC on you'll be stopping every hour for 20 minutes.

Can you pull a tent trailer with a Chevy Volt?

Walter
Heard it all before; just more fake news.
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/ca...c-vehicle.html

mentalfloss
Yes, they already met two thirds of the target back in March.

You can put your dunce cap back on and go back to the corner now, Walter.

JamesBondo
+1
Not cool flossy. Play nice.

Danbones
Free Thinker
Walter's refined use of the reds lately is much more effective because he is more inclined to only hand them out when it really is required.

JamesBondo
I did the red. It is my understanding that it doesnt do anything other than indicate disapproval so why not use it.