Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

CBC News
The Vatican issued a document Tuesday restating its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Pope Benedict XVI was elected Pope in April 2005.
(Plinio Lepri/Associated Press)
The 16-page document was prepared by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, a doctrinal watchdog that Pope Benedict used to head.
It says although Orthodox churches are true churches, they are defective because they do not recognize the primacy of the Pope.
The document adds that Protestant denominations called Christian Communities born out of the Reformation are not true churches, but ecclesial communities.
"These ecclesial communities which, specifically because of the absence of the sacramental priesthood cannot, according to Catholic doctrine, be called 'churches' in the proper sense," it said.
The document is similar to one written in 2000 by the Pope who was Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger at the time that sparked an angry reaction from Protestant groups.
Full Story

More...

Dreadful Nonsense
Well the ole Obrefuher is alive and well i see.
guess his training is coming out....LOL!!!!
Pope Paul made it clear that not only the Catholics were going to heaven.Made great strides to bring people together.
Now this "work to rule campaign" from the Oberfuher.

On other thoughts I love to troll people in real life that are not catholics and ask them if they are getting the real deal when they recieve communion...making claim to the RC church ...lol
Silly doc and religous trolling...hahahahahaha.....

Her Oberfuher get a life man!!!!!

eh1eh
Another giant step backwards for the Catholic Church.

Dreadful Nonsense
Quote: Originally Posted by eh1eh View Post

Another giant step backwards for the Catholic Church.

yeah goose stepping backwards in time....how novel...by the by that was his title in WWII.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by CBC News View Post

The Vatican issued a document Tuesday restating its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

What a surprise.

Impetus
I guess heaven is finally getting overcrowded...

Muz

thomaska
What, is today late news day or something?

They've been spewing this crap since J.C. whooped Saul's as$ on the road to Damascus.

Twila
Every denomination says that about their religion.

IdRatherBeSkiing
I don't believe in no pope.

Zzarchov
What is the problem here?
SO catholics say non-catholics aren't going to heaven. If you believe them, become catholic. Whats the problem?

They can believe what they want and you can believe what you want.

lone wolf
Faith is accepting your own beliefs to be truth. Arrogance is belittling the truths of others.

Wolf

Twila
Well said Lone Wolf! (pssst. I gave you rep points for it...)

Toro
Thank you, Herr Pope, for reminding me why I'm not a Catholic.

Zzarchov
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Faith is accepting your own beliefs to be truth. Arrogance is belittling the truths of others.

Wolf

Its not belittling to say that you hold your own beliefs to be true. If you consider the Catholic faith false anyways, what is your problem with what they believe?

It is unrealistic for one to expect others to alter their beliefs to accomodate yours, especially when you don't believe in what they believe in the first place.

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by Zzarchov View Post

Its not belittling to say that you hold your own beliefs to be true. If you consider the Catholic faith false anyways, what is your problem with what they believe?

It is unrealistic for one to expect others to alter their beliefs to accomodate yours, especially when you don't believe in what they believe in the first place.

Why condemn anyone for holding true to a belief that is not your own? Fact is: Anyone who might know for sure hasn't come back to tell.
http://forums.canadiancontent.net/ch...tml#post750881

Wolf

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Why condemn anyone for holding true to a belief that is not your own?

Wolf

Exactly. Why condemn Catholicism for believing itself to be the one true religion?

RomSpaceKnight
Maybe because I am pagan I do not think my religion is the one true religion. Technically I don't even believe in Norse gods. I hold gods as incarnations of desirable human characteristics not actual beings. Something started creation and that something may be god but to say your's is the one true religion is a bit much. The article mentions orthodox and protestant faiths but does not mention the Jewish or Islamic faiths. A bit snotty and snobbish to look down your nose at others and scoff that they are not the one true religion of Jesus Christ. What about a one true religion of NOT jesus Christ? Who would that be?

talloola
My Nissan Altima is the best car on the road, and that's that, no room for anyone else.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Exactly. Why condemn Catholicism for believing itself to be the one true religion?

Do they 'just' believe it is the only true religion, or do they 'tell' all of us it is, there is a difference.

Toro
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

My Nissan Altima is the best car on the road, and that's that, no room for anyone else.

My Lexus IS300 is better!

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by RomSpaceKnight View Post

Maybe because I am pagan I do not think my religion is the one true religion. Technically I don't even believe in Norse gods. I hold gods as incarnations of desirable human characteristics not actual beings. Something started creation and that something may be god but to say your's is the one true religion is a bit much. The article mentions orthodox and protestant faiths but does not mention the Jewish or Islamic faiths. A bit snotty and snobbish to look down your nose at others and scoff that they are not the one true religion of Jesus Christ. What about a one true religion of NOT jesus Christ? Who would that be?

Well, to get technical about what the article discusses, even I took it out of context. It doesn't discuss the church being the true religion, but rather, the true church (as in, "we're the best Christians, so there"). And it nitpicks to define what other christian sects should be called. I don't think the term 'church' applies to the jews or the islamists does it? mosques, synagogues, masses, religion, yes these terms apply. But I've never heard a Jewish person apply the term 'church' to their religion.

karrie

Do they 'just' believe it is the only true religion, or do they 'tell' all of us it is, there is a difference.

Well, what church do you know that hides its beliefs? I don't know of many. And should they have to?

Zzarchov
Quote: Originally Posted by RomSpaceKnight View Post

Do you not see the double standard? Right now you are looking down on people who believe in a faith different than your own. Principle aspects of that faith is "one god" and "no god but God".

So you are thinking you are better than them (if you think they are arrogant and you aren't, that is by definition what you are doing), because they don't conform to your beliefs.

I know its hard to see yourself from outside and realise how being human you act the same way even if for different causes. But you are.

talloola

Well, what church do you know that hides its beliefs? I don't know of many. And should they have to?

No of course not, but keep your beliefs to yourself, unless of course, you are asking for controversy.
They know exactly what they are doing, just a bunch of men, ( no different than those who argue
over whose car is the best), trying to start something. Childish and typical of religious leaders, in
many walks of life.

karrie

No of course not, but keep your beliefs to yourself, unless of course, you are asking for controversy.
They know exactly what they are doing, just a bunch of men, ( no different than those who argue
over whose car is the best), trying to start something. Childish and typical of religious leaders, in
many walks of life.

Why should they have to keep their beliefs to themselves? Does anyone tell you to keep your atheism to yourself?

talloola

Why should they have to keep their beliefs to themselves? Does anyone tell you to keep your atheism to yourself?

I would never make a statement like "Atheism is the only way to go", it is the only true path.
And, atheism isn't a belief or a religion. Unless I am criticized, or not respected for, 'who I am', I
do not attack others beliefs. I don't belong to any organized atheist group, I don't talk to other
atheists about religion, the only time I have ever discussed it is 'here', when I have been disrespected
for who I am.
And, keeping to the point, this is a 'big' announcement to the world, just inviting trouble.
When I say "keep' your beliefs to yourself, I'm referring to the point of the thread. Sure
lots of people can chat about their beliefs, and a really respect people doing that and
always leaving room for others to believe what they want. I think everyone should believe whatever they want, without having to listen to Mr Pope spout off to everyone.

Zzarchov
You never said "God isn't real"?

And athiesm is a belief structure in the same way 0 is still a number. And that letter is to his own flock. If you don't want to hear what they have to say, stop listening to their private conversations.
Last edited by Zzarchov; Jul 10th, 2007 at 10:07 PM..

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by Zzarchov View Post

You never said "God isn't real"

And athiesm is a belief structure in the same way 0 is still a number. And that letter is to his own flock. If you don't want to hear what they have to say, stop listening to their private conversations.

Yeah, that's an old arguement, stated many times. Zero is nothing, and my atheism is nothing. I
don't have a belief in a religion or god. So, as the arguement goes on and on, 'whatever'.
I don't relate to people who believe in God, don't understand what they believe, can't make myself
go there. I have my own spirituality. But I don't like to say that I don't believe, I like to 'just' believe in my own spirituality.

Everyone has to believe in 'whatever' they believe. I respect everyones right to do that. Good for them, hope they are happy, as I am.

If someone says to me 'I don't believe in atheism", I will say to them, good for you, you do your thing and I will do mine, now, "what do you take in your coffee?".

But, if they try to put me down for being an atheist, I will defend myself, and make them realize
they are being disrespectful.

talloola
Quote: Originally Posted by Toro View Post

My Lexus IS300 is better!

This arguement fits right in with religious one, which is about to start, 'mine is better than your ors'

talloola
[

double post