Julius Caesar's Britain invasion site found

Blackleaf
Archaeologists believe they may have uncovered the first evidence of Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain in 54BC.

The discovery of a defensive ditch and weapons led them to identify Pegwell Bay in Thanet, Kent, as the place they believe the Romans landed...

Julius Caesar's Britain invasion site 'found by archaeologists'

BBC News
29 November 2017

Archaeologists believe they may have uncovered the first evidence of Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain in 54BC.

The discovery of a defensive ditch and weapons led them to identify Pegwell Bay in Thanet, Kent, as the place they believe the Romans landed.

The ditch, in the nearby hamlet of Ebbsfleet, was part of a large fort, the University of Leicester team says.

Its location was consistent with clues provided by Caesar's own account of the invasion, the team said.

Archaeologists from the University of Leicester believe the ditch was part of a large fort in Kent

The team found part of a Roman pilum - a type of javelin

Caesar's 54BC invasion, which ultimately ended in retreat, came almost 100 years before Claudius's conquest in AD43.

The 5m-wide ditch was discovered during an excavation ahead of a new road being built.

The university said its shape was very similar to Roman defences found in France.

It is thought it formed part of a large fort protecting Caesar's ships on the nearby beach.

Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain came almost 100 years before Claudius's successful conquest in AD43

Pottery found at the site was consistent with the 54BC arrival date and the team also found iron weapons, including a Roman javelin.

Archaeologist Dr Andrew Fitzpatrick said descriptions from Caesar's account of the invasion - which describes him leading a force of about 800 ships, 20,000 soldiers and 2,000 cavalry - suggested it was the correct landing site.

"The presence of cliffs, the existence of a large open bay, and the presence of higher ground nearby, are consistent with the 54BC landing having been in Pegwell Bay," he said.

"It's a big force, and you need a big landing place, because simply to land that number of vessels you need a big front.

"We think that the location of the site fits very closely with what Julius Caesar gives in a series of clues - he doesn't tell us in detail, but he gives some snippets, and by piecing those snippets together we think it fits very well."

Dr Fitzpatrick said the low-lying, coastal nature of the site was "defending the coast rather than looking inland", which led them to believe it could be Caesar's base.

The defensive ditch is about two metres deep

Prof Colin Haselgrove, who led the investigation, said it was likely treaties set up in the wake of Caesar's invasion made it easier for the Romans to conquer parts of Britain almost 100 years later.

He said: "The conquest of south-east England seems to have been rapid, probably because the kings in the region were already allied to Rome.

"This was the beginning of the permanent Roman occupation of Britain, which included Wales and some of Scotland and lasted for almost 400 years."

The findings will be explored further as part of Digging For Britain, on BBC Four at 21:00 GMT and afterwards on BBC iPlayer.

Archaeologists believe the fort may have covered an area up to 200 hectares in size

Who was Julius Caesar?

Born into a prestigious patrician family in 100BC, he became one of the key figures in 1st Century BC Roman politics.

He formed a political pact, known as the First Triumvirate, with Pompey and Crassus.

After successful military campaigns against the Gauls he invaded Britain, where he was eventually forced into retreat.

He defeated Pompey in a civil war and declared himself dictator, but was famously assassinated by Brutus, Cassius and other senators in 44BC.

His adopted son Octavian became Augustus, the first Roman Emperor.

Julius Caesar's Britain invasion site 'found by archaeologists' - BBC News
Last edited by Blackleaf; Nov 30th, 2017 at 07:47 PM..

ian982
Hi,

Interesting thread. I was reading the other day about how now there is hard evidence that Cesar invaded England.
Check it out if you're interested

Source

Alternative
+1
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by ian982 View Post

Hi,

Interesting thread. I was reading the other day about how now there is hard evidence that Cesar invaded England.
Check it out if you're interested

Source

The British were not there then and only the scissors of them and the Englishman. The scissors are an old country in Scotland, after which they hit two and Northern Ireland and formed the new country name Britain. Many interests English football in the Nordic countries and outside the Nordic region will be repeated throughout Britain.

Trump's grandfather's father is British????

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Alternative View Post

The British were not there then and only the scissors of them and the Englishman. The scissors are an old country in Scotland, after which they hit two and Northern Ireland and formed the new country name Britain. Many interests English football in the Nordic countries and outside the Nordic region will be repeated throughout Britain.

Trump's grandfather's father is British????

Ergot.

darkbeaver

This is one of the actual spots occupied by Julius Caesar as he observed the progress of the invasion replete with a mound of fossilized cigarrette butts of the brand Ceasar was known to have smoked.

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

This is one of the actual spots occupied by Julius Caesar as he observed the progress of the invasion replete with a mound of fossilized cigarrette butts of the brand Ceasar was known to have smoked.

Don't forget the disgarded salad containers.

Alternative
+1
This is an idea from me or me and I think Trump has relatives from Britain from less than 200 years back and it understands that many Americans from Europe are from the beginning many are from Scotland, England and Ireland in the USA from the start.

My family is Germans for 200 back.

Curious Cdn
+1

This is an idea from me or me and I think Trump has relatives from Britain from less than 200 years back and it understands that many Americans from Europe are from the beginning many are from Scotland, England and Ireland in the USA from the start.

Trump's mother was a serving girl from the Isle of Lewis (where everyone is a cousin) knocked up by his rich kid father who did the noble thing and married the girl.

Danbones
Caesar landed on his butt..."Curious", They said, he should name it that...

Alternative
NY Islanders are called this way.

Blackleaf

Donald Trump's mother was British. The great man is half-British.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Donald Trump's mother was British. The great man is half-British.

The other half is gutter German. The "Great Man" is a mutt.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

The other half is gutter German. The "Great Man" is a mutt.

He's a great president. He's done tremendously well so far.

Curious Cdn

He's a great president. He's done tremendously well so far.

You're deluded. If it were 1939, you'd be marching beside Moseley in a black shirt.

Blackleaf

You're deluded. If it were 1939, you'd be marching beside Moseley in a black shirt.

1) Faster economic growth than the previous seven presidents;

2) A record run of US stocks;

3) US unemployment is falling - down to 4.1% in December - and is close to its lowest-ever recorded level of 3.9% in 2001.

3) Tax cuts for millions of Yanks.

Mr Trump is doing remarkably well. All he needs to do now is to democratically honour the promises for which he was elected - such as building the border wall - and he'll no doubt be reelected.

Curious Cdn

1) Faster economic growth than the previous seven presidents;

2) A record run of US stocks;

3) US unemployment is falling - down to 4.1% in December - and is close to its lowest-ever recorded level of 3.9% in 2001.

3) Tax cuts for millions of Yanks.

Mr Trump is doing remarkably well. All he needs to do now is to democratically honour the promises for which he was elected - such as building the border wall - and he'll no doubt be reelected.

The top three were trending that way during the Obama years and the POTUS of the day have zero to do with it. Item four (for those of us who can count) is going to leave a deficit behind it with more zeros after it than all of the Cheerios in a full box.

You sure have rock bottom standards.

Blackleaf

The top three were trending that way during the Obama years and the POTUS of the day have zero to do with it. Item four (for those of us who can count) is going to leave a deficit behind it with more zeros after it than all of the Cheerios in a full box.

You sure have rock bottom standards.

So this is the pattern that liberals follow:

1) Any good things to emerge from the Trump presidency - say it was actually Obama responsible for them, even if he actually wasn't;

2) Any "bad" things to emerge from the Trump presidency, blame them on Trump even if Obama was responsible for them: such as the list of Muslim countries whose citizens are to be barred from entering America.

Curious Cdn

So this is the pattern that liberals follow:

1) Any good things to emerge from the Trump presidency - say it was actually Obama responsible for them, even if he actually wasn't;

2) Any "bad" things to emerge from the Trump presidency, blame them on Trump even if Obama was responsible for them: such as the list of Muslim countries whose citizens are to be barred from entering America.

After one year, the effects of the Trump admin (except, of course for the tremendous damage that has already been done to the American brand) are still well into the future. Also, there is so much smoke, chaff and propaganda flying around from all sides that the grand claims are mostly a fictitious con game.

Blackleaf

After one year, the effects of the Trump admin (except, of course for the tremendous damage that has already been done to the American brand) are still well into the future. Also, there is so much smoke, chaff and propaganda flying around from all sides that the grand claims are mostly a fictitious con game.

I don't think you're very happy with all this democracy, are you?

Curious Cdn

I don't think you're very happy with all this democracy, are you?

I'm not happy when democracies put fascist demagogues in power, like that did in Germany and Italy back in the thirties.

Besides, it's a real stretch of the imagination to call a declaration of the electoral college as "democratic" in any way as the result so blantantly went the other way.