CRA Slashes Mental Health Tax Credit

tay
Sufferers of autism, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and other mental health issues are the latest victims of a clampdown on access to the disability tax credit by the Canada Revenue Agency, according to several accountants, mental health associations and other advocacy groups.

Sources told the National Post that some lifelong sufferers of mental disabilities have been cut off from the disability tax credit, or DTC, in the past two or three years after having received the credit for decades.

more

Ottawa accused of new tax grab after disability tax credit clawback hits those with mental illness | Financial Post

DaSleeper
+1
Poor Poor Megahurts......

But he doesn't pay tax to start with, so it shouldn't hurt too much?

White_Unifier
We need to look at more cost-effective ways to help those with mental-health issues. As a person who has suffered mental-health problems, I can think of a few that would cost the government little and might even bring in revenue, but i won't share them here.

Danbones
Free Thinker
Yes slaving out the bureaucracy to venusian swamp creature cat houses is a great idea

here is not the place to share it though

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Poor Poor Megahurts......

But he doesn't pay tax to start with, so it shouldn't hurt too much?

It is a thorn in your side. My cost to Alberta Health last year was $0 and the year before quite a bit higher, never saw the amount but it would have been lots. It will remain at $0 and I'm quite healthy, healthier than when I was on the meds. You keep doing what you are and I'l lbe the one cheering at the first death between us.
Post another pic of your wearing that outfit you had on in the pic with boomer so I know you lying about the meeting.

Breathe deep. Poor Africa considering all the shit vaccines they have been getting for decades. Look like the right mutation has been found.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/476580...-nine-british/

TenPenny
A couple of doctors that I know have said that many people who get these tax credits really don't qualify for them; come income tax time, they're bombarded with patients who demand the paperwork because H&R Block told them to get forms filled in.

DaSleeper
Dunno exactly what kind of credits I got from the province in Ontario, because my tax program handles all the specific....but I paid $80 for my health card as part of my provincial tax, and I got about $150 in various credits from the province, and also get $78 monthly Ontario trillium benefits......

Cannut............eat your heart out!!! heheheheheheheh!

Danbones
Free Thinker
The tax credit is useless to people on ODSP.

EagleSmack
+2
Looks like someone has to pay for all of this Sunny Way stuff... who better than the sick and mentally ill?

Johnnny
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

We need to look at more cost-effective ways to help those with mental-health issues. As a person who has suffered mental-health problems, I can think of a few that would cost the government little and might even bring in revenue, but i won't share them here.

Why not?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

Why not?

Because they are very much outside the box of common ideas and would probably appear crazy at first glance without a deeper analysis such that it would not be easy to do in a common internet chat forum where most of us are just killing time.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
Sure.... Why not? We gotta pay all those out of work ISIS returnees

JamesBondo
+2
Justin Trudeau is behaving poorly on this one.

Hoof Hearted
+1
I'm schizophrenic and will be suing the Government over this rollback.

I'm gonna sue them 3 times...on behalf of me, myself and I.

MHz
Try to keep the dementia and perhaps we can bottle it for some select people in the community. The give them something simple that can be looped endless, sort of like the trolls here already do.

Curious Cdn
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

A couple of doctors that I know have said that many people who get these tax credits really don't qualify for them; come income tax time, they're bombarded with patients who demand the paperwork because H&R Block told them to get forms filled in.

Kind of like Trump's father looking for a pliable foot doctor when Donald's Selective Service number came up.

JamesBondo
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

When there is a CRA vs H&R Block dispute at an audit, H&R Block is correct something like 85% of the time. I don't know the exact percentage but it is high.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+3
#18  Top Rated Post
I wonder if we'd be cracking jokes if the Government began fleecing people with cancer. Mental health issues are a disease and if you've ever had a friend or a family member afflicted with schizophrenia or clinical depression, you aren't as apt to joke about it.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

When there is a CRA vs H&R Block dispute at an audit, H&R Block is correct something like 85% of the time. I don't know the exact percentage but it is high.

I find that hard to believe, H&R Block hires idiots and trains them for 15 minutes.

taxslave
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Looks like someone has to pay for all of this Sunny Way stuff... who better than the sick and mentally ill?

trudOWE's base.

tay
Well now. Turns out this action by the CRA and federal government isn't Trudeau's fault although he can reverse it. I'm surprised Mentalfloss didn't find this story.....

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) "has abdicated its mandate for fairness by denying the Disability Tax Credit (DTC) to eligible Canadians with disabilities" and particularly those with psychiatric disabilities according to advocate Lembi Buchanan of Victoria. "It has become virtually impossible for the majority of people living with severe psychiatric illnesses to access the DTC without appealing to the Tax Court of Canada," she said.

Ms. Buchanan is lobbying the new Liberal government to restore the accountability that was lost during the Harper government.

Through her intense lobbying, the need to broaden the eligibility criteria for the Disability Tax Credit received national attention and led to persons with mental and episodic disabilities benefiting from the federal tax credit."

CRA's behaviour administering the DTC, however, resulted in the House of Commons censuring them for their lack of humanity in 2002. In 2003, the government set up a Technical Advisory Council to help improve fairness. Then, in 2005, a Disability Advisory Committe was established comprised of experts including Ms. Buchanan to report directly to the minister of revenue.

Its mandate was to provide "a forum to identify the needs and expectations of the disability community" as "an important consultative forum through which members can provide helpful advice, comments and suggestions on tax measures for persons with disabilities."

At the time, Minister of National Revenue John McCallum said that "it is crucial that persons with disabilities be treated equally and fairly, and I am confident that the members of the committee will help us achieve this."

But then, in 2006, according to Ms. Buchanan, the Harper government disbanded the advisory committee.

more

Mentally Ill Deserve Fair Access To Disability Tax Credits