FATAL FINISH: Ex-jockey dies when metal straw pierces brain


spaminator
#1
FATAL FINISH: Ex-jockey dies when metal straw pierces brain
Brad Hunter
Published:
July 9, 2019
Updated:
July 9, 2019 4:35 PM EDT
Former jockey Elena Struthers-Gardner suffered horrific injuries after the 10-inch stainless steel straw entered her left eye socket and pierced her brain.SCREENGRAB
For a British jockey, the finish line didn’t come with a dozen roses.
Instead, Elena Struthers-Gardner’s illustrious finish was adorned with a deadly eco-friendly metal drinking straw through her brain.
Struthers-Gardner was killed when she tripped and impaled herself on the straw which went through her left eye socket and pierced her brain.
The jockey, 60, who was retired from the track, was carrying a mason-jar with a screw-top lid in her kitchen when she collapsed.
Her wife, Mandy, told an inquest she discovered Struthers-Gardner lying on the ground making “unusual gurgling sounds”.
“Her glass cup was lying on the floor still intact and the straw was still in the jar,” Mandy told the inquest.
“I noticed the straw was sticking into her head. I called 999 and requested an ambulance. While I was on the phone, Lena appeared to have stopped breathing. The lady on the phone asked me to turn her over.”
“I slid the glass off the straw and turned her over. I could see the straw had gone through her left eye.”
Her family ultimately decided to take her off life support because it was “unlikely she would survive.”
But the former jockey’s life had recently taken a dark turn as her boozing accelerated with screwdrivers being her favourite.
On the day she died, there was no booze in her system.
“I just feel that in the hands of mobility challenged people like Elena, or children, or even able-bodied people losing their footing, these [straws] are so long and very strong,” her wife testified at the inquest.
“Even if they don’t end a life they can be very dangerous.”
http://torontosun.com/news/world/fat...-pierces-brain
 
Walter
#2
Karma.
 
Curious Cdn
#3
We need to institute an immediate ban on metal straws.
 
taxslave
+3
#4  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

We need to institute an immediate ban on metal straws.

No need to ban them. Just have them registered and operators licensed.
 
Jinentonix
+2
#5
Wow, talk about getting skewered by your own environmentalism.
 
Twin_Moose
-1
#6
Probably would have happened using a plastic straw as well /s
 
Jinentonix
+3
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Probably would have happened using a plastic straw as well /s

To be fair, I wasn't really making a joke, although my wording may have seemed like I was. I was just commenting on the irony of it all. You make a small effort to be more environmentally conscious and that's the thing that literally kills you.
 
Hoid
#8
it would be ironic if his metal straw had caused a bunch of pollution somehow.

the fact that it killed him is not really ironic as much as say unfortunate.
 
Twin_Moose
+2
#9
Nope it was ironic because he was trying to do a small part to save the environment and it killed him, he would still be alive if he used a plastic or cardboard thingy straw.
 
Hoid
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

Nope it was ironic because he was trying to do a small part to save the environment and it killed him, he would still be alive if he used a plastic or cardboard thingy straw.

again it would be ironic if it was the environment that killed him...
 
Twin_Moose
+1
#11
Why would that be ironic? please explain your assfact logic
 
Hoid
#12
you know what is ironic?

somethone talking about irony that does not understand what ironic means.

now that's ironic.
 
Twin_Moose
+2
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

you know what is ironic?
somethone talking about irony that does not understand what ironic means.
now that's ironic.

So if somethone says someone got hurt using a non plastic straw to save the world from getting hurt from plastic straws is not ironic? Oh OK only in your assfact world does that make sense
 
Hoid
#14
as I mentioned elsewhere - the less you say the better you are going to appear

we'll call that the Walter Rule.
 
captain morgan
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

again it would be ironic if it was the environment that killed him...

The environment DID kill buddy.

Ole Mother Gaia took 1 look and said 'What makes you think that you can control me you arrogant prick!'

Gaia flexed her muscles in sending a clear message to all the ecotards.

... I hope you are paying attention
 
NZDoug
+1
#16
What the heyho do you need a straw for?
Murder?
If your thirsty open your mouth.
 
Curious Cdn
#17
A new kind of brain freeze, eh?

Permanent.
 
taxslave
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

you know what is ironic?
somethone talking about irony that does not understand what ironic means.
now that's ironic.

Google is your friend. Look it up.
 
taxslave
+1
#19
I'm guessing nobody read the article too closely. The jockey was female.
 
Twin_Moose
+1
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

I'm guessing nobody read the article too closely. The jockey was female.

I'm guilty, I messed up when I read her wife in the article
 
Jinentonix
+2
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

it would be ironic if his metal straw had caused a bunch of pollution somehow.
the fact that it killed him is not really ironic as much as say unfortunate.

No, it's irony. What's unfortunate is your sexism. The person in question was female.