Chetwynd Gas Plant would need 2000 workers

Northboy
Chetwynd gas plant would need up to 2,000 workers - Chetwynd - Alaska Highway News

I'm not sure whether this project has been in the media much.

taxslave
Not a lot. I had heard about it through our union but that us all.

Northboy
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Not a lot. I had heard about it through our union but that us all.

They're talking about using foreign workers for the construction phase.

I can tell you from my experience that there is a shortage of tradesmen in Northern BC. This includes all types of contractors. Where I am you have to wait about a year to get a contractor in to do any sort of renovations.

petros
+1
#4  Top Rated Post
Foreign workers yet FNs have "go to the front of the line" skilled trades apprenticeships to any FN 18 yo with minimum grade 11.

Waiting lists at SK Locals and tech schools are 300-400 long for everyone else.

taxslave
I spent the last two years in Kamano and Kitamat. Lots of TFWs. Mostly US tradesmen and engineers from al over the world.
The tire shop in Kitamat couldn't keep staff because construction labours get about $10/hr plus bennies more than he would pay. That is why you cant find house builders. The good ones work heavy construction and make twice as much as they could building houses.

petros
Are the young FNs lining up for the apprenticeships?

Northboy
+1

I spent the last two years in Kamano and Kitamat. Lots of TFWs. Mostly US tradesmen and engineers from al over the world.
The tire shop in Kitamat couldn't keep staff because construction labours get about $10/hr plus bennies more than he would pay. That is why you cant find house builders. The good ones work heavy construction and make twice as much as they could building houses.

I get that. my son was in heavy construction until he got a government gig in industrial safety.

There's a biomass generating plant in Fort St. James that's scheduled to be started in the spring. That's going to suck up the locals .

In Prince George the unemployment rate is under 5% so there isn't much slack there labour wise.

I expect to see a lot of Alberta plates.

taxslave
The wword I got before I left Kitamat was that the NG plants would wait until the smelter is finished because of the skilled labour shortage. The idle left likes to think that the current markets will kill the NG plants but their outlook is much farther into the future than 3 month gas price corrections.

Northboy

The wword I got before I left Kitamat was that the NG plants would wait until the smelter is finished because of the skilled labour shortage. The idle left likes to think that the current markets will kill the NG plants but their outlook is much farther into the future than 3 month gas price corrections.

That would make sense.

petros
+1
If you're Red Seal you can pick BC AB or SK and you'll be busy for several years. Full apprenticeships without ever seeing a pogey cheque. Ambitious youth can set themselves up nice if they aren't afraid of travel.

MHz
The trades people would also need another construction project to start when this one enters it's operational phrase.

Time to start investing in some beach-front property on the lake behind Hope Dam.